Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2021 - Your Restrictions Q&A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭BrianD3

papu wrote: »
    It looks to be covered under essential services according to the level 5 guidance. Under information and communications no. 9
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/#information-and-communications
    Even if we assume that fluff like the Tommy Tiernan show is essential under "production of television and radio programmes" - the poster was asking about guests travelling to the studio. Yet again we are into uncertainty about whether any journey to somewhere providing essential services is an essential journey.

Provision of food is a essential service. It can't be done via Zoom. McDonalds drive thru is open. Can I travel as far as I want to get a Big Mac in that case?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Even if we assume that fluff like the Tommy Tiernan show is essential under "production of television and radio programmes" - the poster was asking about guests travelling to the studio. Yet again we are into uncertainty about whether any journey to somewhere providing essential services is an essential journey.

Provision of food is a essential service. It can't be done via Zoom. McDonalds drive thru is open. Can I travel as far as I want to get a Big Mac in that case?

They are also travelling for work which is allowed considering the 5km is only for exercise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I never thought these Jan Level 5 lockdown would be kept throughout february and now into march....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭political analyst

BrianD3 wrote: »

I remember hearing about the incident in which some people who were made a long journey to get fast food were stopped by gardaí.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Mutant

Hi i was just wondering if anyone knows if we are allowed to travel outside county and 5km to collect a car from a main dealership.
    The car is for my partner and she works with the hse and we needed to get a new car as old one was about to give up and it is needed for her to travel to work. She has also been vaccinated if that makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Absolutely go for it. No guard is going to turn you back for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sizeable thread in motoring on buying during a pandemic

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058061829

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,544 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Mutant wrote: »
    Hi i was just wondering if anyone knows if we are allowed to travel outside county and 5km to collect a car from a main dealership.
    The car is for my partner and she works with the hse and we needed to get a new car as old one was about to give up and it is needed for her to travel to work. She has also been vaccinated if that makes any difference.
    Although many commentators and indeed politicians typically get this wrong, the 5k limit is for exercise only

The wording on travel is
    "People are required to stay at home except for travel for work, education or other essential purposes, and will be permitted to take exercise within 5km of home."

Hence if your trip is essential you are fine. What constitutes essential is another question, but I cannot see how picking up a new car would not qualify

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

pottokblue wrote: »
    I never thought these Jan Level 5 lockdown would be kept throughout february and now into march....

im certainly not adhering to this ridicalous 5km and i know most arent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Hi

I'm just curious as to what happens if someone dies away from their usual home during covid.

Say for example someone was temporarily living in Dublin because of covid but were usually resident in Tipperary.
    If that person died by an accident or suicide how would their body get back to Tipperary to be buried in their local cemetery or would the funeral be in Dublin and their family have to come up?

Just the same Way it always got home, by the undertaker.
    Funerals are essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hi

I'm just curious as to what happens if someone dies away from their usual home during covid.

Say for example someone was temporarily living in Dublin because of covid but were usually resident in Tipperary.
    If that person died by an accident or suicide how would their body get back to Tipperary to be buried in their local cemetery or would the funeral be in Dublin and their family have to come up?

They can go home of course.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just the same Way it always got home, by the undertaker.
    Funerals are essential.

So the local undertaker would come up and bring the body home?

Threads merged

So the local undertaker would come up and bring the body home?

Whatever undertaker you employ will do it

bubblypop wrote: »
    Whatever undertaker you employ will do it

Makes sense.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Anyone know if physios are considered essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,155 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

VonLuck wrote: »
    Anyone know if physios are considered essential?

Chartered Physiotherapists remain open during Level 5 restrictions as an essential health service provider.
    (according to the Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists on their official Facebook page)

And from a question to the Minister for Health:
    The list of essential services that can remain open during Level 5 includes therapy services provided by a member of a designated profession within the meaning of section 3 of the Health and Social Care Professionals Act 2005 (No. 27 of 2005). There are seventeen professions designated under the 2005 Act, which are encompassed in the list of essential services. These are: Dietitians, Dispensing Opticians, Medical Scientists, Occupational Therapists, Optometrists, Physiotherapists (which includes Physical Therapists), Radiographers, Radiation Therapists, Social Workers, Speech and Language Therapists, Clinical Biochemists, Counsellors, Orthoptists, Podiatrists, Psychologists, Psychotherapists and Social Care Workers.
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-03/1114/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

As above,

Are hotels (the bars within hotels) still allowed to serve pints and order kegs from the suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A friend of mine was in a hotel recently for work and bought pints. I was surprised but apparently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Why would they not be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I heard noises about hotel kegs going to shebeens

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I still need to pinch myself and the fact that Jan restrictions are rolling on into april....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cycle Designer

I have a small construction business with a number of residential projects currenly on hold. Under the planned changes to Covid restrictions due to come into effect on 12th April will I be permitted to travel to other parts of the country to collect building materials.

I have a small construction business with a number of residential projects currenly on hold. Under the planned changes to Covid restrictions due to come into effect on 12th April will I be permitted to travel to other parts of the country to collect building materials.

The only changes to travel are to extend it to the full county or 20km if venturing into a different county

If your business is allowed to operate it need materials to do so. Hence I can only conclude going to get supplies for a business that is allowed to operate constitutes "essential" travel

If though you travel half way across the country to pick up materials that are readily available locally you may be more susceptible to challenge, but I presume that is not the intention here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Cycle Designer

I need to collect some doors for a project, they were custom built and have been sitting with the manufacturer, 120 miles away, since January.

Advertisement