Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2021 - Your Restrictions Q&A Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Print any email/receipt relating to the purchase and bring it with you as proof to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have a click and collect receipt if possible so how your purpose. I'd take it as an essential item for your house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Yep essential journey to pick up freezer before it all melts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

It might help to have some thawed burgers in the boot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Saving 20 quid doesn't really sound like an essential journey.

Will you get away with it, probably. Especially if you make it sound like you have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

And you now have to remove and recycle your old unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

for the sake of saving the hassle for like €15 i'd rather get it delivered...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Can I travel 30km to pick up a freezer that I order online? It's Currys- they offer delivery but it's 25 quid and I'd prefer to pick it up myself as it will fit into the car. Sorry, I don't know where else to ask...

Unnecessary when you have the option of delivery.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Yeah, more that for me.. the pain in the hole spending 90 mins travel (although right now a trip to Curry's would feel like a European city break!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

greasepalm wrote: »
    And you now have to remove and recycle your old unit.

Leave it at the shop when they pick up the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say, that delivery price from Currys is absolute robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Give the guards a call and ask them to deliver it. You'll save money on petrol and won't be breaking the law :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mimon wrote: »
    Unnecessary when you have the option of delivery.

They are allowed operate click and collect so it's a reasonable excuse.

I'd be wary of allowing a stranger into my home, how long has the mask been in use and are they cleaning their hands properly etc, than picking up something from a shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Give the guards a call and ask them to deliver it. You'll save money on petrol and won't be breaking the law :pac:

Too busy at dance practice...:pac:....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ElJaguar

Can I travel 30km to pick up a freezer that I order online? It's Currys- they offer delivery but it's 25 quid and I'd prefer to pick it up myself as it will fit into the car. Sorry, I don't know where else to ask...

Tell them you're using it to store vaccines.:D

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are allowed operate click and collect so it's a reasonable excuse.

I'd be wary of allowing a stranger into my home, how long has the mask been in use and are they cleaning their hands properly etc, than picking up something from a shop.

Technically it *is* just an excuse tho and unnecessary. More so than if the freezer is actually needed (i.e. is old one working?).

Practically speaking tho (assuming the freezer is needed) - much of a muchness really.. one interaction either way with either shop or delivery staff.

The mask thing could apply to anyone you meet - shop or delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Tenzor07 wrote:

They dump it at your doorstep. Well at least power city delivery do anyway. If you haven't left the old one out from the night before then they won't take that either. Some of these companies are hiding behind covid at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

What's the worst that will happen... you reach the checkpoint, talk nice and the Garda directs you to turn around... go a different way. A freezer is a fairly essential household item. I would proceed and bring the click and collect receipt with you as someone else has said and see how you go. I'm all for rules but jesus a bit of common sense is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I don't see why not, the 5km limit doesn't apply to shopping and electrical shops are allowed to open as essential retailers and household white goods would very much fall under the "essential" category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That we need to ask questions like this shows how flawed the travel regs are. Firstly, any reasonable person should agree that a freezer is an essential item. But if as implied in this thread you
    • get into a debate at a checkpoint about whether you could have had it delivered
    • get questioned about why you drove 30 km to DID when you could have driven 25 km to Power City
    • get asked for your click and collect receipt.
    That is absurd.

I shopped for some essential and borderline essential items outside my county myself recently. To avoid getting into a stupid debate with a Garda, I shaved, wore a shirt and brought my essential worker ID. When stopped I just flashed ID and said I was going to work. Waved straight on while other drivers at the checkpoint were having long discussions with the same Garda, head nearly in the driver side window. This discussion may well have been the riskiest activity that the person did all day.

Majority of Gardai are reasonable but are let down by bad laws and there are idiots in every job. When the public ask for consistency of enforcement, the old nonsense of "ah sure it depends on who you get" gets rolled out.

Also, has it ever been explained why suppliers of goods and services are allowed to open but you seemingly are not allowed travel to them if they're outside 5km/your county. E.g. I fancy a McDonalds tomorrow - the drive thru is open - more than 5 km from me and clearly not essential travel but this doesn't apply to someone who happens to live within 5 km it. This sort of thing is fundamentally unjust. I suspect that those who drew up these regs live in large urban areas and this doesn't affect them as they have everything they'd need within 5 km and certainly within their county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

BrianD3 wrote: »
    That we need to ask questions like this shows how flawed the travel regs are. Firstly, any reasonable person should agree that a freezer is an essential item. But if as implied in this thread you
    • get into a debate at a checkpoint about whether you could have had it delivered
    • get questioned about why you drove 30 km to DID when you could have driven 25 km to Power City
    • get asked for your click and collect receipt.
    That is absurd.

I shopped for some essential and borderline essential items outside my county myself recently. To avoid getting into a stupid debate with a Garda, I shaved, wore a shirt and brought my essential worker ID. When stopped I just flashed ID and said I was going to work. Waved straight on while other drivers at the checkpoint were having long discussions with the same Garda, head nearly in the driver side window. This discussion may well have been the riskiest activity that the person did all day.

Majority of Gardai are reasonable but are let down by bad laws and there are idiots in every job. When the public ask for consistency of enforcement, the old nonsense of "ah sure it depends on who you get" gets rolled out.

Also, has it ever been explained why suppliers of goods and services are allowed to open but you seemingly are not allowed travel to them if they're outside 5km/your county. E.g. I fancy a McDonalds tomorrow - the drive thru is open - more than 5 km from me and clearly not essential travel but this doesn't apply to someone who happens to live within 5 km it. This sort of thing is fundamentally unjust. I suspect that those who drew up these regs live in large urban areas and this doesn't affect them as they have everything they'd need within 5 km and certainly within their county.

Well now... I could hop in the Car tomorrow and travel 100 miles to visit a cemetery if I fancied... the whole thing is a farce lets be honest about it. You have to wonder what kind of numpties are being hauled in front of courts, being fined etc when you could litterally make up anything on the spot that sounds credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Curry's and deliveries you just have to go to brexit thread and you'll see items getting shipped from uk and going back due to admin fault.

even though a store near by could have it.

go pick it up as who knows what could happen on delivery

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

Of course you can. And if a guard questions you just tell him yours broke and you need a new one asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you have to ask it means you already know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

biko wrote: »
    If you have to ask it means you already know the answer.

No.

What's the worst that will happen... you reach the checkpoint, talk nice and the Garda directs you to turn around... go a different way. A freezer is a fairly essential household item. I would proceed and bring the click and collect receipt with you as someone else has said and see how you go. I'm all for rules but jesus a bit of common sense is needed.

Sorry but essential :rolleyes:

I haven't had a freezer in 12 years and have survived. In fact I'm probably a stone heavier than 12 years ago :)

Of course you can. And if a guard questions you just tell him yours broke and you need a new one asap.

Nice trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm actually laughing here at people thinking the 5km is something everyone is trying to stick to.

The amount of cars out and about all over the roads lately shows most people are done with the 5km restriction.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

Mimon wrote: »
    Nice trolling.

Not trolling. How do you propose to preserve food if you don't have a freezer? Salt everything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Just tell them you are on a Jerusalema road trip.

Advertisement