Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

yes but how often are you using ionity to charge your EV vs the much cheaper (or even free if you have PV solar) home charging against the same 50 to 60 quid each and every time with an ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Night time charging can be around 7-10 cent per kWh when you have a smart metre. I have solar panels which can get up to 40kwhs a day in summer prob 10% of that in the winter (didn't get batteries as ioniq V2H and potential V2G was a big selling point and no payback really in batteries when you have night time rates). So will be charging off that 4 days a week (it won't be free technically for about 8 years) the other 3 I have free charger at work. Will only be using public chargers on long trips and when needs must. Also added to that road tax, no real service cost (ICE need a service every 15,000 km EV change filters every few years).

There more savings in the wider view 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Face it. Few EV drivers will be using public chargers on a regular basis. My current i40 executive DCT (automatic) gives me around 1175 kms for a full tank averaged over various types of journeys. A full tank last time cost me €95. My new Ioniq5 Premium Plus should, real world performance, offer around 350 kms.

Looking at possible night rate charging at home of say 12 cent per kW/h in 2022 a full charge would be €8.71 x 3.35 to get the same range as the i40 on a full tank = €29.17.

At a public charger at ESB pay as you go rates, high power charger, you pay 37 cent per kWh without any discount. Comes to €26.86 for a full charge x 3.35 = €89.98 still a tad cheaper and unless you are touring why would you fully charge at a public point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

As I said I am pro ev , but the comment was paying an exorbitant price at an ionity charger beats ice prices , I was just saying it doesn’t and shows how ridiculous the charging prices are at them . I will be charging mine at work or at home 99% of the time so it’s not a deal breaker for me , but to get the country electric those without a house charging solution need to be able to buy it a reasonable price .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ionity is effectively a closed network once you are outside the group

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Has anyone used the AIB green personal loan? Kind of confused about the application done through the phone.

Just saids "Your green items must be less than your total loan amount".

So like if I type in 20k for loan amount and 40k for green item value that message get thrown. Only way for it to work is to have your green item value equal to the loan amount or 50% of it. So putting 10k to 20k in the green value will let me proceed.

Maybe I'm just thick and not understanding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Can anyone explain an “issue” that there seems to be about the 12v battery running out and leaving people not able to switch on their car?

I’ve read about it on other forums (fora?!) but don’t quite understand what’s happening / how one would go about fixing it.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

Basically the 12 volt battery operates all the electrical functions of the car, locks, wipers, lights etc. This is topped up from the the main drive battery periodically.

Problems start when this 12 volt battery gets too low,the central locking won't work and you won't be able to start the car.

There is a physical key that will allow you to open the door and gain access to the 12 volt battery which then be replaced or charged.

This was an issue in the original Ioniq but I have only heard of one report on the UK forums of this happening in the I5.

It's something to be aware of but I wouldn't stress about it.

It's more likely to happen this time of year as you are using more of the electrics such as heating, lights wipers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭crisco10

So basically the same issue as any traditional "flat battery"??

Or is that it goes so flat that even plugging the car into the wall doesn't allow it recharge? (I'm assuming the power electronics do need some power to start to charge the car)

Exactly, it's just like a flat battery in a regular car, so you'll have to jump the battery or connect it to a trickle charger.

Plugging your car into the chargepoint won't work as the car requires power to iniate the charge.

From what I remember the 12 volt is charged periodically while driving and when the car is off. In the old Ioniq you have tick an option in the car menu to charge the 12volt while the power is off.

It only happened to me once in nearly 4 years,the biggest issue was trying to figure out how to get the key in the door as the key hole is well hidden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

We carry a small 12V battery boost pack in each of our EVs, never had to use either of, but a bit of piece of mind. You do have to remember to keep them charged up every few months..

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭grennscreener

It does though, can only speak for myself, but I see no reason that the reality will be different for the majority of users. I'll charge off Ionity a few times of year when I need to do a long trip, for the rest of the time I'll be charging at home boosted by solar on a night metre.

The extra high price of the occasional ionity charge will still work out cheaper in a year overall than paying the same to fill the tank of diesel everytime.

Besides, the extra money of an ionity charge is also a time factor, you can charge publicly cheaper, but slower. So, for me at least, I'm happy to pay more for it to take less time. If you're using Ionity as your sole charge point, then yes, in that case the ICE would probably be cheaper, but then again if you do that you clearly have bigger issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jams100

Can I ask a question to the people who've taken hold of an ioniq 5 recently...How has the range held up against Hyundais guided ranger per full charge? (I know the range is based on how you drive etc. But overall has it been as expected?)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sargasso

Hyundai dealer contacted me on Dec 23rd to advise me that the Premium models arriving late march will not have the auto flush door handles.(models that arrived in Dec do). He also indicated that they would not have the ambient mood lighting but later reversed this.(subject to change) The auto flush door handles have been removed from the spec on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

Is this type of spec chopping and changing between trim levels typical for newly introduced models in the car industry - EV or not? I’m lurking on this board as a possible future IONIQ 5 buyer but if you care about one or two features in particular, seems like you would want to wait 6 months til Hyundai straighten out their specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Summer2020

It seems to be to do with the semiconductor shortage worldwide. If they can't order enough of the chips for auto door handles they'll just remove them from the spec

No idea if this is the norm but when I challenged the dealer he admitted that Hyundai Ireland are at the mercy of the Koreans and any changes they make. No guarantee that spec won't change again (until it is built and they get chassis number!) Offered me my deposit back but if only auto handles then not a deal breaker for now!

One bit of useless info! When reviewers go on about no Hyundai H on steering wheel technically they are wrong as four dots = H in morse code!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Another thing to look out for is the removal of Highway Drive Assist Level 2. Apparently on all the UK spec cars it's being removed and only delivered with Level 1 HDA. No sign of it being removed from the Irish spec as of yet though....

Any of the get word yet if yer premium plus's for Jan delivery have arrived at dealers yet?

Post edited by podge1979 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Arrived in the country yes, arrived in the dealer (Dublin), not just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

My premium plus is with the dealer.

Im going to see it tomorrow hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

Can I ask what dealer offered you a deposit back for the spec change.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Just went to the dealers to look at our white premium plus.

Annoyingly it looks like it doesn't have the grill lighting at the front. The silver part below the headlights is the same as all the other trim levels that was there.

Maybe I've talked myself into it because it's the one we are getting but white looks really nice with the chrome trim (not so much with black).

I took some other pictures as well.

The best exec-plus colour is black for me. It goes really nicely with the black around the wheels.

Wasn't a fan of the blue or grey after seeing them for the first time. Thought they were quite dull looking.

The exec-plus seats felt a bit foamy as well. Not like the cloth in our current focus. Might be comfy to sit in, but felt weird to touch.

And some other picture dumps...

That's a bit annoying re the lights on the grill it looks class at night.

I had choice of black and white I went black as I just can't bring myself to buy a white car on Ireland's s#£ty roads. Black I think is easier to keep.

On another point did a lot of driving during Christmas saw a lot of Tesla's and majority are white seems you can't get other colours at the moment so maybe white is becoming more mainstream? Have an order still open from last august for a blue Tesla but no sign of that till march hence why I'm going with an ioniq 5 now.

Any other tech missing I'd say the grill is down to dropped features due to chips, sounds like march cars will be dropping more stuff too?

Just seen a transporter with mostly Ioniqs heading south on the M7.

Must have arrived into Dublin over Christmas.

Good to see they are arriving in some numbers not like the old Ioniq which was drip, drip, drip.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tomister

Do you mean the light bar at the front or the indicators in the lower bumper of the Exec and Exec Plus?

If its the light bar then it is on the car, in the grey/silver section. You just can't see it when the lights are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Agree the Ioniq 5 looks great in Black, but in our experience white is the easier colour to keep fairly clean. Black you have to be prepared to towel dry after every dirty rain shower to look its best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭russelldlee

Anyone got the Matte Colour and some pics to share?

Advertisement