Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Onlyzeone

That is the positive, more time for additional saving.

...Or as my wife might say "who's to say you won't change your mind by then", says alot of what she thinks. She doesn't trust electric cars... yet... don't let me down hyundai!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Twill be a grim Christmas a plenty for the Ioniq 5 owner Kids ha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭eagerv

My wife didn't trust electric cars either till she got one of her own. Now you couldn't prise her apart from it...😁

So the grant remains in place for 2022! Have to admit a selfish, impatient part of me wanted to see it scrapped or reduced so I could justify taking the car in Mid November with a 212 Plate!

Nevertheless, shall have to wait another 6-7 weeks extra to take the car with the 221 reg, but its the smart long term decision I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

I thought exactly the same as you - I've even been contacting dealers further away with cars available sooner!

Might as well wait now.

Post edited by DaveByDavid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Good to hear the grant is still in place. I think they took the 2500 grant from PHEV.

For anyone that has had the car for a little while, how have you found it around country roads?

The last test drive I did it did feel a bit heavy around roundabouts, but I didn't get a chance to properly test drive it for an extended time down country roads, and where we live that's something we're going to have to do quite often.

I think for standard roads/motorways it's likely very comfortable and easy to drive, but lesser roads would be interesting to hear about.

I did notice it kept pulling a bit which I thought was the steering, but I guess it's probably the tech trying to keep it in lane (this was on a standard road, not country road).

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭aferru

Dealer mail me today saying that car could be here in January instead of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭aferru

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Most honest review I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's Richard Symons. Genuinely the best guy to watch on YouTube for EV related stuff. Seems a nice guy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭cannco253

Yep, totally agree. He tells it like he sees it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finally saw one of these in person today when I was dropping off my Ioniq 28 for a service. Lovely looking machine but people weren't lying about how much bigger it looks in person. Way too big for me, wish they would do a version that looks exactly the same but size it like a golf or focus 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

They probably will. An Ioniq 4 maybe?

Just had a drive of the Kia Ev6... Yeah, this is a toughie... I prefer the looks of the Ioniq 5 but there is so much standard in the Ev6. Full leather with memory seats, V2L capability with adapter as standard, (with the 3pin plug under the back seat) which only top of the range hyundai has, motorised tailgate, centre console that I prefer, plus the bigger battery... the handling is definitely sharper.

And the biggest of all is that my wife preferred it alot more than the ioniq and I can collect it in January.

I think I've answered my question haven't I.

I would love to consider the Kia but will not be interested until the 58KW version is available.

It seems the most direct comparison with the Earth Model on the Ioniq 5 Lines is the Premium. And they seem like they'll be priced that way too.

I'm down for the Exec Plus Ioniq 5 at 42k, cant really justify trading up to the 50k Earth EV 6 even if it is 77KWH.

How did you find the space? Was watching a few reviews earlier that said because of the sleeker design it doesn't feel as spacious inside compared to the Ioniq 5, and because of the i5 flat floor and moving console.

I think if you go premium 73kw it's 50k and a bit more comparable to the EV6 earth. Depends how much you need V2L I guess - could be handy at times.

Up front it felt the same space wise. The roof does slope down more towards the back but with my 2 young children it's not a worry, I sat in the back briefly and height was not issue for me(I'm 6ft). It's true though that it doesn't feel as big.

The extras you get over premium iq5 is the motorised tailgate, memory seats, V2L(with plug inside and adaptor included, camping should be easier) and the bigger battery. Plus Kia have 7 year warranty whereas hyundai is 5 years. I think that's it...

I did try moving the centre console (lol, yeah, I assumed that would be the same, it's not). I prefer having gear selector as a wheel on the centre console and the wireless charger there, visible right beside me rather than down low. Also much prefer the look of it.

I took the iq5 for a "faster" drive by myself yesterday so I could compare the driving. Ev6 definitely felt more settled than the iq5 even though I drove in the wet today. Coming out of roundabouts with in the damp I could feel the rear trying to slip around in the wet but the car dealt with it effortlessly (this was with sport on and really trying to push it out of the roundabout). Not normally how I drive but just trying it out.

Basically it's €2000 more than the equivalent iq5, this got reduced by another €500 as they were willing to give me more for my trade in.

What it comes down to for me is if the hyundai had these extras in the iq5 premium 73kw, I would have opted for that in the first place but here I am now.

Apologies for the essay response, its just that I have alot to think about. Yet again the other major point is my wife much preferred the look of the ev6 inside and outside... Still juggling my decision but weighing towards the kia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

the V2L would be so handy for camping. I never thought of that!

• Advertisement

I hear you, the Premium 73kw battery didn't have those few extras the ev6 has so I opted for the Exec Plus 73iq5.

I have never pondered over car choice for so long before, between going electric for the first time, my wife's fear of change and the long waiting time. Its also the first time I have discussed any car change online so, just trying to figure out what best suits our needs combined with QOL questions...

Lol, yeah, I like camping but this just adds convenience to it as far as I'm concerned

Post edited by Onlyzeone on

Tell me about it mate. From colours inside and out to spec

My missus was shocked at the money I'm considering spending, but when you compare the value and sell on value compared to a say 30-35k ICE I knew that it was the car for us long term (even if she doesn't necessarily see that).

I was very tempted to take the Premium that was ready to drive away from the showroom but learning of December availability of the Exec+ I thought this might be the nice way to make it a bit easier for her to swallow (I e €4k less).

Now the issue with that is that nobody really has any clue what the Exec+ is actually going to look like and will it feel like a much cheaper car? Time will tell. Good thing is it's coming in Mid November so I'll know soon enough.

The other big issue is obv the availability. You can't just change your mind last minute and switch up to a premium as all Ioniq5s in Ireland arw now pretty much spoken for til March.

Completely true - spoke to dealer today and our 58kw exec-plus is locked in, but all other cars sold or not available until April.

He did say he would try and swap one for us and get it here for January but discussing again in November. Just not liking the black we put our names down on.

At this point would take any colour that isn't black, white or matte paint.

Fair play - I should really try and give the EV6 a go at least. Might try it next week if I can before I finally pay a deposit on i5.

I think with the Ioniq 5 we really did like the space, but for country roads and stuff that we have to go down quite often the EV6 might be better. I'm going to see if they'll give me 1.5-2 hours with it so I can drive it home and try it properly.

The guy in Waterford just threw me the keys, no issues at all, came back 40 minutes later and there were 2 people waiting for it...

The i5 just wafted along beautifully on good roads but when I hit a sharp tarmac edge from a drain you can really feel the car give a shudder. Nothing that would worry me to be honest. These are the on the bypass in Waterford,just coming off of the roundabouts. Did the same thing in the ev6 and it just seemed to cope with them much better.

Enjoy the test drive and the extra power as these have the bigger motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Venturing into the world of electric cars for the first time...booked a premium car today for delivery in Jan!

Only thing I'm a little disappointed with is the lack of 3 pin plug (I couldn't justify paying more for the premium plus). Otherwise, delighted to have made the move. Replacing a 16 year old Fiesta so it's a big treat for us!

Congrats.

They're very intelligent about how they price up each level and what's added.

In reality the jump from premium to premium + reeps the most rewards for €5k.

- panoramic Glass Roof

- Electric Boot Open/Close

- Augmented Reality Display

- Rear Heated Seats

- 20" Alloys

- vehicle to load capability

- 3 pin plug

- relaxation seats

- ventilated Seats

- Remote Parking

- Blind Spot Camera Assistance

- Bose Sound system

- Reverse Parking Assistant

- & many more.

When you compare this to what the step up from Exec to Exec+ gets you:

- Heat Pump

- Half Leather Seats

- Scuff Plate

- Auto Flush Handles

- Sliding Center Console

- Rear Privacy Windows

- Electric Driver Seat

I know which set of extras I'd rather spend 5k on (yes I know you need the heat Pump).

That's the one thing I would say is a shame that things aren't more customizable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

I got to do a short test drive today. Car was nice smooth ride. The bit I didn't like was the display. Even with the wheel as high up as possible I found it difficult to see the speedometer (which was top left of the right hand screen).

Don't know if this is a setting you can change?

Also the height in the boot was a bit lower than I expected. Thought it might be higher ... doubt the dog crate will fit in 🤔

• Advertisement

As far as I know you can't change that. I agree though - I have no idea why it's not central.

Advertisement