Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

All the big vid reviews have the same complaint. I'm sure someone from Hyundai has copped this and it can be fixed quickly with a software update.

This video (Altho In Austrian) Highlights some of the major differences between The Basic Level Car and Premium. I know every country spec is diff but there are some good to know points highlighted if you're due an Exec or Exec +.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU5Ozx0nSUE

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

aferru, you mind DM'ing me to let me know which dealer it is? Wondering if I can get my own faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Anyone getting a bit tired of the constant radio advertising by Hyundai where they refer to the Ioniq 5 as a "Tesla Killer"?

Are many people considering Model 3 v Ioniq 5 ? Personally wouldn't have thought so..

Haven't heard it, but I suppose the messaging is striking advertising and sticks in the mind which is more than half the battle.

My guess is they're trying to play up to a market who maybe always wanted a Tesla, or was jealous when one drove by them, but they were never going to stump up €50k for base level.

The Ioniq 5 looks amazing, and I can't wait to get mine, but it's not going to be a Tesla Killer! We've seen this approach with a lot of Apple's Competitor Devices down the years, and yet Apple outsells every single Brand with it's devices across the range.

When the EV market really takes off and there's mass adoption, I've no doubt Tesla will come along with a €30-€35k Car that will dominate the EV market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The Ioniq 5 is a Tesla killer for me. I just can’t stand how plain the Tesla design is inside and out. Now that other EVs are able to compete on range, I think the market will split rather than converge on one model.

I doubt Tesla making a 30-35k model will dominate any more than the Corolla dominated. Top seller maybe but people will always want choice and have personal preferences. For me and a lot of people, Tesla just doesn’t offer that. Their designs are so bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

The Tesla Model 3 nearly sits on its own as a low-profile efficient mid-sized car (1443mm), with no crossover pretensions to satisfy the demographic that complains about backs or not sitting three feet up when on a schoolrun. The EV6 gets quite a bit closer at 1550mm, whereas the Ioniq 5 is a bit higher at 1605mm. They are moderate compared to the array of Tiguans and Range Rovers in the greater Dublin area, but still not as efficient as a low-slung car. Only the older Ioniqs are comparable, and after that it is just a few sportscars and superminis at what was normal car height.

The market rules, so the Model Y will try and beef its way in late to the CUV/SUV market since the Model X is far too expensive, but I don't think the IONIQ or EV6 are quite Tesla killers. Strange that the Model S and Model 3 are now legacy throwbacks to when not everybody had step up to a car. Both these and other cars show you can keep the batteries low without raising the height to CUV levels.

EVs should be for interurban or rural trips, whereas active travel should be the norm within towns, but it is strange to see people purchasing inefficient SUV/CUV designs for long commuting and thus paying a lot more electricity for their driving. Few people need that space for goods or equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

Yep each to their own. One person’s bland is another person’s minimalist.

I have a Tesla Model 3 and love the interior, the software updates and the general Tesla “buzz” but also love that Hyundai brought a car to market that looks like the IONIQ5 with its 80s hatchback look. It’s also more practical with that hatchback too.

Yes they are, but they are as much a status symbol of a car as BMW, Audi or Mercs are. People will want them. In the EV market I think You'll see the word Electric Car intrinsically linked with Tesla in the same way that MP3 Player basically means people thought iPod. Now this is a bit different, as Everyone can probably find a way to rustle up a grand or 2 for the latest apple product, not everyone can be in the €35k Plus Car Market, So I don't expect to every see Teslas being 70% of all the EVs on the road, but maybe 40% is realistic, and at that point there wont be any "Tesla Killer".

I'm not saying there won't be other manufacturers offerings in the mix, I'm just saying to be a "Tesla Killer" you would have to assume the position of Number 1 Selling Car in the market. It's not just a design thing, Tesla's have just nailed Electric Cars more than any other brand, and if they can stay ahead of the curve in that regard they will always be market leader.

You see multiple range tests on YouTube and the Tesla's always win out. If they can stay ahead in Battery Technology and Range Efficiency then they'll likely assume position o

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I would agree that both the IONIQ 5 and EV6 are really inspired designs, and Hyundai were really brave to bring such a bold design to the market. I would absolutely love to see the return of the boxy 80s design to the hatchback segment with retro-modern styling from the Ioniq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Google "Disruptive Innovation" . At one point everybody bought IBM PC's because they were staying ahead of the opposition on performance .That never changed but they went from 90% of the spend to <4%

Tesla can maybe stay ahead on innovation but we are quite close to the current offering being more than required so the value in being the leader diminishes. Tesla will like Apple have attracted many early adopters, and many of those will be loyal . But the poor presentation of the product , the perceived bad value and the dislike of Elon from so many potential customers , means while they may be successful in joining the ranks of large manufacturers , and maybe be a brand with larger margins , but no chance they remain biggest or command anything like 40% market share in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,058 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Haven't heard it, but it would annoy me for sure. Why are Hyundai doing this? There is absolutely no need for it. Hyundai / Kia make the best built cars in the world and their current EV offerings are top notch and head and shoulders above the competition with the high voltage battery pack and very fast charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Tesla KIller is such a stupid concept

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭denismc

A bit like self-charging hybrid, but lot of people do buy into the marketing unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mobyduck

Mentioning another company’s product in the context of XXXX-killer seems like a self-own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have heard ad multiple times on the radio. I think they are using the phrase to attract people who like Tesla's to test drive their offering. As said many cannot afford Tesla, some don't like minimalist look, some may be far from Tesla showroom, some may want a model y but can't buy one. All these may switch to Hyundai if they test drive one today. Many may have never driven a Tesla. Most people have heard of Tesla, and so it may help align them with what to expect from a full EV. I am sure the marketing was tested and will be refined if it's not working to drive people into test driving and buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

Aside from test driving, I haven't seen a single Ioniq 5 on the road yet in Ireland.

Went to the UK recently and saw around 3-4 in the town we were in.

They looked a bit more "normal" size when seeing them from the path and driving along with other cars. I think sometimes they look a bit too big for their design when you're up close.

They definitely stand out from most other cars as well. Even the better brands/badges cars tend to blend in quite a lot, but the Ioniq 5 really stuck out.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Took the Ioniq 5 for a test drive, Very nice car coming from a ioniq 28 the 'electric' part of the drive was nothing new but i think Hyundai are onto a winner with this. I will be selling the 28 Ioniq and changing in the new year, this car is high on the list - just have to test drive one or two more cars and compare

I had a very quick look at it in the garage once before and just thought it was ok, not as amazing and modern looking as all the reviews made out, went and had a proper look at it on wednesday and spent a bit of time with it. Comes across as quite a big car when standing beside it, loads of space in the back when the front seats are in my driving position, build quality both inside and outside is extremely good, really love the white interior and the ambient lighting, its miles ahead of the ioniq 28 in this respect

As for driving it, I was surprised to find that it really did not feel like a big car and it was a very easy car to drive. It seems like more a car for a relaxing drive than anything sporty, although it does have nice acceleration in sport mode it feels a bit out of place flooring it - probably due to the fact that it feels like you are sitting in a lounge or something!. The trim i drove was the '58 Premium'

The only thing that i found a little disappointing is the infotainment, as in it's fine, functional, looks ok....... but overall a little boring and feels a little old hat and lacking fun, im probably after watching too many tesla videos !!

Overall, this seems like a car that the more time you spend with it, the more you will like it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

Looking for peoples opinion. I have put a deposit on Ioniq 5 Cyber grey (executive plus) for Jan delivery. This spec I includes black side mouldings and bumper (I think!). Do people think grey or back with black mouldings and bumper look better? I can't justify the 4K jump to next spec for full leather and silver mouldings. And does anyone know if pearl black interior will be the light interiot like in premium spec?

The black on black nicer looking imo. Yes the black exec plus has the light interior. I think the light colour you have above is actually the Galactic matte gold rather than cyber grey.

Have to say I think a lot of the colours look better with the black side mouldings rather than the chrome.

• Advertisement

Think I saw your post on Facebook 😀

So does the black phantom colour definitely look like that for exec-plus? It's only premium that then has the silver looking parts around the wheel etc?

We have ordered a black exec-plus and were a little put off by the colour when we saw it in another dealers but that was premium. From the photo at least the black on black looks better for me.

Black on black is very nice, between the two above I'd go for the black. You can tell they are executive spec by the location of the indicators as well I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Pique

I think the silver mouldings are tacky af. They're just painted plastic right?If they were actually brushed aluminium then that would be something but the bright shiny effect is yuk imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Black is a very difficult colour to keep clean and shows up swirl marks badly...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

+1 I have a black original ioniq, looks great when it's clean, but very hard to keep clean!!.

Love the Matt colours on the new ioniq but I think repair of any small scratches can be difficult with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭denismc

Below are a couple of video reviews with showing the car in "Cyber Grey" with the black mouldings, it looks pretty good imo.

Another option could be to get the mouldings wrapped to a colour of your choice.

ESSAI HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 - YouTube

https://youtu.be/8ksCM7Qkzsk

Has anyone picked up their exec-plus yet? Interested to know what the interior seats are like.

Think it's some kind of half leather, or something similar according to spec? Wonder how nice they are compared to the premiums all the dealers have to test.

Is it that bad? Generally think black is one of the more nicer car colours, although for Ioniq 5 I think it looks better in something a bit lighter.

Black looks great imo but only if you are prepared to keep it clean and are prepared to dry it after every dirty rain shower😮 otherwise I prefer lighter colours which don't show scratches and swirls as bad. Also lighter colours are cooler in strong sun.

• Advertisement

I think both those seat materials look ok, particularly the all cloth (?) in your second video. I would imagine that would be similar to our Executive, but hard to know till they are actually produced. Our dealer thought there would probably be only one darker material colour for all exterior colour Executives.

Advertisement