Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Did they give a reason on why they should be careful? If solving the supposed housing shortage really is their primary concern and they've already signaled they intend to use our public parks for housing, what do they really have to lose at this stage?

It seems they're worried about speculation Props -
    Dr Dáithí Downey, head of housing policy and research with Dublin City Council, said the council needed to proceed cautiously with further plans to rezone lands, however, to avoid speculation of land prices.

“We have to be very careful not to trigger any kind of major assetisation or any kind of major speculation on the land use that we have,” Downey told a public forum discussing the new Dublin City Development Plan last week.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭hometruths

The people (mostly young) that took the pain will deliver SF a majority very soon unless FF/FG sort housing out.

I'm early/mid 20s and there is a very odd wave of discontent among this age group its difficult to quantify

A few years ago I would have ranted and raved about this, soapboxed about how the young have short memories, and generally argued against the idea that you should vote SF.

But at this stage I completely understand and would probably think the same if I was your age!

It seems that, internally at least, FF may have sensed they way the wind is blowing:
    Mr Ó Broin said on Tuesday morning: “It’s clear that there’s a shift in Fianna Fáil’s position in relation to Sinn Féin and I welcome that.” His remarks came on RTÉ Radio One’s Today with Claire Byrne Show. He also said that in his view the “crucial thing on the other side of the general election is are parties going to talk about doubling capital investment to deliver large volumes of social and affordable homes for working families”.

If true this is a welcome development. Nightmare scenario is FF and FG paint themselves into a corner re SF, then SF are biggest party in next election and their only option to form a government is with PBP etc. That is truly terrifying!

schmittel wrote: »
    But at this stage I completely understand and would probably think the same if I was your age!

It seems that, internally at least, FF may have sensed they way the wind is blowing:

I dont think its just internally anymore schmittel, from yesterday's Irish Times

FF TDs would not exclude Sinn Féin coalition after next election

While some party members expressed concerns about Sinn Féin’s policies, almost every Fianna Fáil TD who responded to queries from The Irish Times expressed a willingness to sit down with Sinn Féin after the next election.

Some TDs also said they believed the party made a mistake in not doing this after the 2020 general election.

Those who are open to the possibility include senior party members such as Jim O’Callaghan as well as Ministers of State Robert Troy and James Browne.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ff-tds-would-not-exclude-sinn-f%C3%A9in-coalition-after-next-election-1.4478483

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

SF's plan to fill the place with council housing estates isn't the answer. We tried that before and it was a disaster, it's not going to be different this time.

What needs to happen is reform of the planning system, remove the influence of NIMBYs and other objectors, and build where people want to live. The demand is there, the supply isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

So there we go. We have the solution to the supposed lack of land problem for building houses in the city. It's called Phoenix Park :)

I think the better solution is to get rid of golf clubs inside the M50 and use that land for parks and housing / new villages within Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think the better solution is to get rid of golf clubs inside the M50 and use that land for parks and housing / new villages within Dublin.

The furore I caused a year or so ago when I first suggested that. I was told to get lost.

Not to mention the utter incongruity of full blown farm backing onto DCU. Only in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

hmmm wrote: »
    SF's plan to fill the place with council housing estates isn't the answer. We tried that before and it was a disaster, it's not going to be different this time.

What needs to happen is reform of the planning system, remove the influence of NIMBYs and other objectors, and build where people want to live. The demand is there, the supply isn't.

I don't think that argument washes anymore, if it ever did IMO.

The DLR council was very happy to rent all the apartments at Herbert Hill in Dundrum for 100% social housing. It seems that developments comprising 100% social housing are now only acceptable if there's a fund at the end collecting the inflated rents that the local councils (on my behalf and at my cost) have signed up for IMO

cnocbui wrote: »
    The furore I caused a year or so ago when I first suggested that. I was told to get lost.

Not to mention the utter incongruity of full blown farm backing onto DCU. Only in Ireland.

I know it is not realistic unfortunately but when it comes to a discussion about stripping down the public parks for housing, I think it is only fair to highlight the, in my personal view, high number of golf clubs within the M50 when land values are at a premium. My experience is that the members do not realise just how elitist their privilege of being a member in such clubs actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

Rates have been falling for 30-40 years so even if they bring rates back to 0% it will crash the stock market, houses prices, companies with debt, governments with debt.... it wouldn't even be a car crash it would be a pile up on the motorway.

Not really on subject but wanting to ask. Do you/anyone see over short-med term that interest rates rise again?

Plus the golf members of these clubs proved during the celtic tiger years that they are more than happy to sell their local amenity to a developer once the price is right. Same with the farmers in Co. Dublin e.g. that farmer in North Dublin who sold his land for a new prison during the boom years.

If the land is truly needed, compulsory purchase it at agri/amenity prices and rezone it to housing after purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I don't think that argument washes anymore, if it ever did IMO.

The DLR council was very happy to rent all the apartments at Herbert Hill in Dundrum for 100% social housing. It seems that developments comprising 100% social housing are now only acceptable if there's a fund at the end collecting the inflated rents that the local councils (on my behalf and at my cost) have signed up for IMO

With outgoings like this every year now for at least 30 years where is all the money going to come from ? Also bricklaying isnt huge in Dublin . There is already Cisk and Hegartys working on social housing (small developments ) over the last 2 years

Firstly . Where to we get all the extra builders from ? Secondly , if it takes over 2 years to get a few hundred apts built how can they be done en masses to make any dent in the housing crisis we are in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Cyrus wrote: »
    the people in early to mid 20s didnt take the pain though.

Depends on what type of of pain you're referring to. They didn't get caught with Celtic Tiger mortgages like a lot of people in their 40s and they didn't have to emigrate like a lot of people in their 30s had to . Many of them are in a situation though where they're finding it impossible to move out of home due to a combination of extortionate rents and low paid jobs despite, on average, being more educated than previous generations. With Covid they can't even emigrate so they're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Timing belt

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    Not really on subject but wanting to ask. Do you/anyone see over short-med term that interest rates rise again?

They will only rise if we see inflation above 3% for a year so. We will see some inflation the next time the CPI is released in Europe but that will mainly be driven by the reversal of the German vat cuts so will add 1% onto what it really is. Oil has also recovered so we may see 0.5% increase in the next year but I can't see it going over 1-1.5% and don't see interest rates rising in the next 2/3 years. IMO

CorkRed93 wrote: »

Whether intended or not by Central Banks, there are signs in the investment publications that inflation is going to make a comeback, meaning low interest rates likely to persist.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-08/u-s-10-year-inflation-breakeven-advances-to-highest-since-2014?sref=ZMFHsM5Z

Depends on what type of of pain you're referring to. They didn't get caught with Celtic Tiger mortgages like a lot of people in their 40s and they didn't have to emigrate like a lot of people in their 30s had to . Many of them are in a situation though where they're finding it impossible to move out of home due to a combination of extortionate rents and low paid jobs despite, on average, being more educated than previous generations. With Covid they can't even emigrate so they're stuck.

Any pain my generation went through was 100% caused by my generation. So don't feel sorry for us IMO The generation before me went through a lot of hardship. My generation took everything offered to us and blew it. It's not the people in their teens, 20s, 30s or 40s fault so they should start demanding reductions in our pensions and all other benefits we receive but never paid or paid very little into the system for.

While it may sound weird me advocating for this. I believe the longer this nonsense persists, the more that's going to be taken from my generation through pension cuts, loss of services etc. I'd rather go through that now than in my 80s when I've no fight left in me IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

schmittel wrote: »
    Not as accountable as they used to be! (by their superiors)

Accountability is not a concept even remotely touched on in the Irish psyche, in fact, the reverse is an ongoing theme in Ireish culture. Wrongdoing by chieftans is to be rendered invisible, like water flowing around a rock in the stream; what rock? Libel laws are the final back-stop should anyone be so out of step and uncouth as to mention there being a rock.

Gee, this childrens hospital thing is a mess, lets hold an inquiry, the first written guidline and guiding princple of which shall be that no blameworthy individuals will be identified or mentioned and no blame is to be assigned.

In other countries I could mention, enquiries usually have the opposite aims and intent.

Any pain my generation went through was 100% caused by my generation. So don't feel sorry for us IMO The generation before me went through a lot of hardship. My generation took everything offered to us and blew it. It's not the people in their teens, 20s, 30s or 40s fault so they should start demanding reductions in our pensions and all other benefits we receive but never paid or paid very little into the system for.

While it may sound weird me advocating for this. I believe the longer this nonsense persists, the more that's going to be taken from my generation through pension cuts, loss of services etc. I'd rather go through that now than in my 80s when I've no fight left in me IMO

The 8.21 billion we spend each year on pensions, is that just the state pension or? i'm assuming its nothing to with private pensions so things like public sector teachers etc?

542741.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The 8.21 billion we spend each year on pensions, is that just the state pension or? i'm assuming its nothing to with private pensions so things like public sector teachers etc?

That is State Pensions, and excludes PS pensions.

cnocbui wrote: »

There are one-storey houses within maybe 600m of O'Connell street.

Crazy.

Geuze wrote: »
    That is State Pensions, and excludes PS pensions.

Thanks Geuze :)

That's extraordinary i always thought public sector must be included in that figure.

This figure is just all the over 66s getting 248 euro a week is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Timing belt

That's extraordinary i always thought public sector must be included in that figure.

635k x 248 x52 = 8.2bn

542741.PNG

As far as I know, it does indeed include the public sector pensions from an article I read a while ago. So, about half of this annual pension bill goes to the civil servant/public sector pensioners. Open to correction on this one though. If it doesn't, then the annual unfunded pension bill is far more scarier than I thought.

I'll try find the right article, but this below article states that the cost of public sector pensions in 2018 was €3.6 billion in 2018. So near enough half the total spend.

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cost-of-public-sector-pensions-surges-to-150-billion-1.4437809

Your chart is DSP expenditure.

PS pensions are not paid out by the DSP.

For example, a typical teacher's pension of 700 pw is paid by the DES, not the DSP.

It is included in the DES pay and pensions bill.

All people over 66 do not get a State Pension.

I know plenty who don't.

The 8bn is broken down as follows:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/02f594-annual-sws-statistical-information-report/

https://assets.gov.ie/86167/66194a05-82f8-480f-8be0-4350e1218a62.pdf

2019 data

SP contributory = 5.6 bn
    Widows/widowers = 1.6
    Non-con = 1bn

I'm sorry but BAM should be restricted from future state projects, this is becoming a farce

Children's Hospital won't be ready until May 2024

Speaking at this afternoon’s PAC hearing, chair of the National Paediatric Health Development Board (NPHDB) David Gunning spoke in stark terms of the difficulties that the board has experienced, in its view, while dealing with the principal contractor on the €1.7bn budgeted project BAM.

Mr Gunning said that the “lack of advancement” in the project is attributable due to “under-resourcing on the project by the main contractor”.

He said that at the end of 2019, the project had progressed 8.5% through its construction plan when it should have progressed 22%.

More than €300m in additional claims have been received from the contractor, he said, with the board deafening each of those “robustly”.

As far as I know, it does indeed include the public sector pensions from an article I read a while ago. So, about half of this annual pension bill goes to the civil servant/public sector pensioners. Open to correction on this one though. If it doesn't, then the annual unfunded pension bill is far more scarier than I thought.

I'll try find the right article, but this below article states that the cost of public sector pensions in 2018 was €3.6 billion in 2018. So near enough half the total spend.

Link to Irish Times article here: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cost-of-public-sector-pensions-surges-to-150-billion-1.4437809

The above is false.

635k x 248 x52 = 8.2bn

So, the real annual state pensions bill is c. €10 billion per year?

The above is false.

Then, that makes the annual figures significantly worse?

The 8bn is broken down as follows:

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/02f594-annual-sws-statistical-information-report/

https://assets.gov.ie/86167/66194a05-82f8-480f-8be0-4350e1218a62.pdf

2019 data

SP contributory = 5.6 bn
    Widows/widowers = 1.6
    Non-con = 1bn

2019 SA pensions, non-con = 94,854 recipients
    2019 SI pensions = 554,485 recipients

• Advertisement

So, the real annual state pensions bill is c. €10 billion per year?

Give me a few mins.

Here we are, 2018 PS pensions:

https://igees.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/9.-Public-Service-Occupational-Pensions-in-Ireland-Cashflow-Analysis.pdf

2017 = 3.4bn PS pensions

2020 est = just over 4bn

I think it's reasonable to say 2020 combined State and PS pension is over 10 bn, and towards 12 bn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement