Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Plenty of effort and industry on show, but precious little quality. Defence was good but attack extremely blunt, only managed to score from close range off the back of Stormers ill discipline. The final passage summed it up, no deception, no incision, no questions asked of the defence. Would urge anyone who has the stomach to watch the first five minutes of the second half to see some of the worst set piece attack you'll find anywhere. Even when we got a good initial carry from Aki or Jansen, we completely failed to capitalise on the subsequent phases. Looking forward to the season being over now.

Brok Harris is some unit to be fair to him, what an effort at 39 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht just a very very average side at the moment. And hard to see where the improvement is going to come from in the short term. Bar having better luck with injuries next season. Squad already looks weaker next season than this one. Growing sense of apathy around the team and supporters at the moment. Seem like they are going nowhere on the pitch anyway. Even though big and welcome changes coming off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭testtech05

Agree with us being average but if they could even cut down the number of very basic errors (knock ons and terrible lineouts) deep in opposition territory it would be a big help..... So many times again today when they made some decent territory there was a very basic error usually compounded by another one leading to a big loss of territory.

On a seperate note considering he's obviously so highly rated by the coaches I thought Ralston was very poor again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Best of luck to the departing players. A special mention for Tiernan Tom and Jarrad who were great servants. On the performance it looked like the first game of the season. So many knock ons and errors. Confidence looks to be gone from most of the group. 1 up carriers and the same attack going nowhere. Sexton has had a full season to implement his plays but it just is not working. Wilkins comes out every week spouting the same absolute bollocks. He would do well in government !

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mun1

dont normally come onto opposition forums, but watched Connacht tonight and while stormers came fully stacked, Connachts gameplay and decision making off the ball in attack was appalling, reminded me of Munster under VanGram (not all bad under him either), with players looking uncertain and not 100% committed, which showed in brittleness at key points in tight games.

Forde has looked impressive this season , and didnt start today ?

Someone needs to have a look at the coaching team as it looks like some of the players aren’t buying the gameplan when the going gets tough.

Disappointing end to the season for ye , but maybe with less injuries to key players )Aki, Hansen, JJ to name 3), Connacht might show better form next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Just back from the game. Blunt in attack & generally predictable. Defense from both sides ruled.

Connacht attack lacked variety and any form of guile. No lack of effort but not enough points to show for it. 4800 attendance seemed resigned from early on. Can't see 12000 paying to see rugby here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That’s the dilemma they have. Build a bigger and better stadium but that means more tickets to sell. The team performing as it currently is, isn’t going to attract many casual punters. To fill the ground when the new stadium opens they need a competitive team on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kita99

Next game (against Leinster) is already no-meaning. So it's placed as the beginning of rejuvenation. I want to see Gavin, Treacey, Victory, West, Naughton, Barrett, B.Walsh, Flynn and Devine brothers if possible. Maybe Leinster will select the 3rd strings team including Lasisi and Murphy. Mr. Ruane should think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Morale and confidence throughout the squad are at an extremely low ebb, sending a bunch of kids to get 50+ points put on them is not going to help. Leinster will be playing for a home semi, I imagine their team will be closer to the one that played yesterday than a third XV.

A better approach would be to pick one or two of the above in a first choice team. Gavin is an obvious pick. While it would be a tough place to make his debut, I could see the logic to picking Naughton on the bench. We really need to establish our depth chart beyond Carty for next season, Forde and Hawkshaw are not the answer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Connacht can qualify for playoffs with a win, a try bonus point may not even be necessary if Benetton and Lions don’t get any points.

Connacht could then win the URC and book their place in the Champions Cup.

It’s far from a “no-meaning” match, if I were a Connacht coach or player I would be focusing on a win and hopefully a TBP and see if that’d be enough.

It’s the first match that weekend on Friday so nothing decided yet and with a 6 day turnaround Leinster should be naming a second string side much like what lost to Ulster last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I admire the optimism but that series of events is about as likely as San Marino winning the World Cup.

Leinster will know they need 5 points and regardless of how next weekend goes they'll be fired up to try and get as high a seeding as possible. We are a rabble at this stage and it's going to be a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kita99

San Marino. So I want to say it is management's issue(or CEO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

It's a long tíme since I felt this despondent at the end of a season (I'm thinking KK days - and even that ended with a thumping interpro win)…

Error riddled and utterly blunt in attack. There's absolutely no fire in them. It wasn't there 2 months ago when they actually had something to play forand there certainly isn't now. I thought pride might have pulled something out of the bag last night, but I guess even that has its limits.

Even though Willikins was officially in charge last year, I suspect there was more than a little of Andy's hand in our strong finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Get the feeling that yesterday was an end of an era in more ways than one. Seeing TOH and JB sign off and the Clan coming down especially. Tere could be a few lean years ahead before we can get back to being truly competitive.

Even though it's hard to swallow, maybe a stint in the challenge cup might help us build some strength with some of the younger guys. There is definitely talent in the group and I'd love one decent signing with experience that might help them on Like Clarke, Fardy, Elsom in the past. Wishful thinking though I'd say.

Anyway, onwards and upwards for next season hopefully. Front up, Rise up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Firstly the best of luck to the guys leaving, in particular I think JB has been a warrior everytime he took to the field and we will miss his leadership. TOH bow's out as our starting FB, great to see such a servant to the club finishing on his own terms. But best of luck to them all.

Yesterday's game, we tried very hard and we got what we deserved ....beaten at home without a sweat. If that wasn't proof of the misguided Tactics and coaching then I don't know what will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Didn't get a chance to see the game yesterday,how did Cordero get on for the 20 or so minutes he was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

the sooner he re signs the better, was never replaced and that was the start of the slide

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Looked lively for the short time he was on. Looking forward to seeing him against Leinster and indeed next season.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/sam-prendergast-leinster-connacht-rumours-598531

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think it's completely made up nonsense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'll believe it when I see it. I also stand by my earlier comment that I'm not sure it's a good deal for Connacht

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think it's a good deal for Connacht at all, though I rate the guy exceptionally highly. It really depends on whether a stop-gap is needed and whether there are any other options available.

I still think it is manufactured nonsense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

as you know b.gud I am a huge TOH fan. As such you know I will give you an honest answer. I thought Cordero was small for a full back. So that's the negative. On the positives he is a lively fecker. And his passing was really good. First impressions is I really like this guy. To be fair to Tiernan, both Porch and Ralston were brutal. Why Tiernan was replaced for Cordero was the usual Wilkins mystery

And what the hell is going on with Finlay. He is invisible these days. Appreciate he has a young kid but his performance levels have slumped.

Thought Jacks kicking was immense. Thought Caolin had a really poor game.

I tend to agree. It just looks like they are trying fill a gap with an article about nothing.

Wouldn't mind seeing TOH, Cordero and Hansen in our back 3 for the final game of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Heard a lot about this at the Stormers game. Pub talk.

Wouldn't mind seeing TOH doing his thing for another year in truth

Was talking to JB after the game. All he said was he had no new rugby home and he was wondering how long his legs would last. A super signing for Connacht

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

The scrum was really good while Bealham and Dooley were on, but became a problem when Aungier and Duggan (?) replaced them.

Advertisement