Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭b.gud

Chay Mullins has signed a pro deal of an unspecified length

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

The coaching staff are employed by and paid by the IRFU. It is not a matter of Connacht providing any money to buy out their contracts. The decision rests with the IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

I can't say source because this has always been a known. It is the same for every province.If you were unaware of that now you are aware

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭testtech05

I see Conor Kenny has had to retire through injury. Must be tough when it is forced on guys like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'd be very interested to hear the specifics on this. I never thought id say this but I actually hope the IRFU have final say on these things.

Historically I'm always suspicious of the irfu but financially they are a sensible business in the main and given Willie Ruane's history with appointing coaches I'd hope they'd have stipulations in Pete Wilkins contract that if certain objectives are not met he can be relieved of his job without us having to pay up a sizeable sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lavrenti

• Registered Users Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

he can be relieved of his job without us having to pay up a sizeable sum

All national and provincial coaches have clauses in their contracts that they can be let go with six months' notice, so that would be the ceiling on any payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Connacht Rugby can confirm the players who will depart the club at the end of the season.

As previously announced, Tiernan O’Halloran will retire at the end of the season after a 15-year career at his home province, while Diarmuid Kilgallen will move to Munster.

Centurions Jarrad Butler and Tom Farrell will also move on at the end of the campaign. Both players joined the province in 2017 - Butler was club captain for four seasons and earned 126 caps, while Farrell scored 21 tries in his 112 appearances for the club.

Also leaving the club are Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Tom Daly, Gavin Thornbury, Matthew Burke, Oran McNulty and Tadgh McElroy, while Michael McDonald will return to Ulster after completing his season-long loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMC83

That's a lot of talent going I wonder are many moving to new clubs or just retiring? Surprised with Butler and Tom Daly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Strange to see McElroy cut loose - had thought he was doing relatively well earlier in the year. McBurney hasn't featured a whole lot this year for Gloucester (unsure if he's injured or not).

Not surprised to see DRC, Daly, Thornbury, Burke or McNulty moving on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Tom Daly done dirty in that announcement, great player for us and was our player of the year a couple of seasons back.

Some big names out, best wishes to them all and thanks for their contribution to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMC83

Has Daly been injured? I haven't seen many Connacht games this year

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Daly headed to Munster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭clsmooth

What happened to Thornbury? It wasn’t long ago that he was on the Irish radar. Injuries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Best of luck to all the lads who are leaving. Very sorry for Thornbury he had no luck at all. Butler was a great warrior and even though he's probably past it its a big blow to lose his leadership in a setup that completely lacks leadership. I think most of the other departures were flagged.

The fact that's our final squad for next season is beyond comprehension to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The absurd indefensible decision to give Wilkins a three year contract means the cost is the same to get rid of him now as in twelve months with the six month clause being in all provincial/irfu contracts. It won’t happen now but it will almost certainly happen in twelve months.

Performances and attendances are going to continue to decline just as the new stadium is finally being completed.

Perhaps that jarring reality will force some action. Ruane should be gone too. There’s zero drive, ambition or vision present in the Sportsground at the moment, they’re all just happy to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭bingobango12

Any word if Farrell has been offered something more elsewhere or just released? Strange one if released, always thought he looked good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

He's been heavily linked with a move to Munster, but neither side has confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

A bit heartless, but at least 5 of the lads being let go, I'd assume would have been on decent money, and haven't earned it recently. Not necessarily through any fault of their own by the way. Be it injury or not getting selected

O'Halloran

Butler

Thornbury

Daly

Farrell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Unless McElroy has an offer elsewhere and didn't want to stay, jettisoning him for McBurney is just ridiculous. Same applies to the departure of Tom Farrell, though his replacement has a better profile. Decisions like these make it impossible to have any confidence in the management ticket.

As others have said Butler, Thornbury, Daly, Farrell, have all been central players for many years, Matthew Burke saved our ass with a massive shift in 21/22 when Buckley did his cruciate, never understood why he was locked out after that. McNulty was a bit unlucky but didn't take his chances when they arose. DRMC was released before, this time it's probably for real, he improved over the time IMO.

Anyway, best of luck to them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭testtech05

Sums it all up pretty well. I know these decisions have to be made at stages but I dont see much logic in a lot of them. Hopefully I am proven totally wrong next season

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I say getting a Director of Rugby might be our best shot…

Yea, he played some 1500+ min seasons… Saw his numbers drift off in the last few seasons mainly beacause between Cathal and Bundee his place was taken…

Personally I think he is a steal for a club aboard, he is a big lad who carries very strong and has good ball skills. He can give any inside center in the world a tough time…

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

Agreed on the 'heartless' bit..... Cucumber

You always get the idea from this coaching ticket that they have faces that fit or not (they have favourites). Tom Farrell was considered persona non grata from the start.

And I really they don't think they respect leadership… Blade has been trying to offer that all season with no help… Absolutely none… No Butler, Carty, Farrell…. Pack having talented but young players… Backline that is trying to do something which they don't understad and have little confidence in…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Thornbury was going great until he had one of the bad injuries like ACL or achilles. He had a long absence in any case. I think he's been available most of this year but hasn't played much.

Tom Daly was similar. Doing great and has a long injury and hasn't featured since returning. I see the point of promoting the likes of Forde, Gavin and Jennings in the centre. There's real potential in them.

Connacht has had lots more players in the Ireland U20s team than the senior team in recent years. I absolutely support them focusing on young home grown players. It needs a fine balance of youth and experience to make the transition without standards going down hill. So I hope they do it well.

Fair play to the men leaving. They've given great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

And thats what the most successful groups do. They're heartless.

A different sport I know, but Alex Ferguson was known for it.

Statistics should be the driver behind these decisions. The current squad that we have, is not good enough for anything really.

We're not really in any worse of a position based on those players leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Are we really going into next season with one experienced 10 (who's form has been patchy at best) and a couple of lads who can play 10 in an emergency?

I know they couldn't plan for Hanrahan doing his ACL near the end of the season but surely they must have some plan beyond crossing their fingers and hoping for the best.

Hard to get enthused about next season. A fit Hansen and Cordero will bring some excitement and hopefully a couple of the young players emerge. But overall it looks like being a mighty struggle. The pack in particular will be under serious pressure in a lot of games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

That time Tom Daly moved to outhalf away to Edinburgh and Connacht got a big win… was that because Daly can actually do a really good job at outhalf? Or was it just coincidence?

If he could've been an option at 10 that would have strengthened Connacht's hand in the position. I'm not convinced by Hawkshaw at outhalf.

Advertisement