Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

you seem awfully sure on Sam coming over… I wouldnt be so sure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

It seems like it is deal done at this stage, it would bigger surprise if he doesn't come.

It is possible but Connacht need a Out Half for next season and they have stopped searching…

The move is great deal for Leinster… Jack Crowley played at 10 for almost a year and only won one game… Within six months he was winning a URC as 10…

Leinster could be getting Connacht to blood their player, Connacht are hoping there is enough Rugby in him that he could be ready to go. Any way Connacht options are pretty limited..

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭kita99

My long list for the candidates (potentially) of emerging Ireland this summer is below. (If it happens) FW: Barrett, Murray (both), Jansen, Dowling BK: Devine (both), Gavin, Daniel Hawkshaw, Jennings, Bolton, West and Treacey

After former tour, members from Connacht have grown up very well (look Illo, Forde, Mullins. DTM and Smith), So I hope that young players of Connacht is selected as many as possible. And so Connacht should think the selection for their demonstrations of growth at the next week (dead rubber) match.

Hopefully some player may get the chances at emerging Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

That’s more of an Emerging Connacht selection than an Emerging Ireland - guys like Barrett, John Devine, Daniel Hawkshaw, Finn Treacy all seem very unlikely to me as none have even made their Connacht debuts.

I’d be skeptical about Oisin Dowling’s chances too.

Would love to see both Matthew Devine and Hugh Gavin and a few of the others picked though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Former Coach

So, even a 5-pointer against Leinster wouldn't be enough to qualify for Champions Cup after Sharks win against Gloucester and given Edinburgh play Treviso next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Emerging Ireland, I'd go with something like this

Milne, DTM, Clarkeson edogbo, izuchewko, McCann , Kendellan ( cap), Gleeson, Devine, Prendergast, tobrien, Forde, Turner, Bolton, Osbourne

Boyle, Barron, illo, Murray, quinn, Foley, russell, sob,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I see that you say. Maybe it's right. My long list is only my wish. But I think those who I wrote are all impressive players at 2022.23,24 U20 teams. especially John Devine's tackling and Barrett's agressiveness in SA was impressive. I expect Barrett will become one of the Ireland representatives in the 4~5years by his size and dexterity.

No, I was joking with the comment I made, and I do agree they all seem like exciting prospects. I’m really keen to see how Fiachna Barrett is doing after a season or so in a pro S&C environment. He was gargantuan at U20s so you’d really feel the physical tools are there.

In Matt Devine and Hugh Gavin Connacht have two of the most exciting young prospects in Irish rugby, two guys who look like future potential 50 cap internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Has Gavin played senior yet? I expect he'll get a lot of gametime next season. Aki is 34, no talk of retirement yet but he won't go on much longer. Henshaw is 30 so he has a few years left at Ireland level which is ideal for Gavin to compete in a couple of years.

He Was an absolute bully at U20s this year. But you never know how that will translate to senior where he won't have a size advantage. I'm a leinster fan but I'm very excited about the connacht young lads for both Connacht and Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Has Oisin Michel left Connacht? He appears to be playing Shute Shield on his Instagram with the West Harbour Pirates.

No, pretty sure Gavin hasn’t played yet. Imagine he’ll get a good amount of game time next year though.

Guys like Hugh Gavin and Evan O’Connell are prime examples of how young players sometimes get judged too quickly and the impact of professional S&C coaching can see huge progress in a short time. They were both good players last season as U19s but they both made a massive leap this year as they visibly looked far better conditioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭AccidentallyOnside

Interesting to see how leinster treat next Friday.

Think we could see a backlash as 3 years without a trophy for the best funded team in world rugby would be something that could start the suits fidgeting in their seats.

Oddly a loss might suit as they look unlikely to get a home semi so going to Munster in the semis is possibly preferable than heading to South Africa.

Or alternatively they could look to absolutely hammer us and hope Bulls don't get 5 match points....probably the latter!

After watching Champions cup final, my nepotism impression is 「Devine (will become a few years later) ≒ Dupont, and Gavin>Henshaw」. And I think Devine needs a bit more muscle for it (not too much). I hope both two should have some high-standard targets like this.

My favorite line -up of this week is below. 15. Cordero 14. Bolton 13. Gavin 12. Forde 11. Smith 10. West 9. M.Devine 1.Duggan 2. DTM 3. Illo 4. N.Murray 5. D.Murray 6. Prendergast © 7. SHL 8. Jansen 16. Victory 17. Dooley 18. Barrett 19. Dowling 20. SOB or McCormack 21. Reilley 22. J.Devine 23. Jennings. This is my dream team.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,965 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd prefer to leave Harry out until next season and give him a full time position in the senior squad. That way he can work in the preseason to get to know his teammates better both on and off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

See I'd prefer to mix in the young guys like Gavin alongside some experience like Bundee. I don't know if it's great for a guy's confidence to be defending the 13 channel in his first cap against a leinster team who are looking for 4 trys and a statement.

Andrew Smith gone to 7s as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lavrenti

• Advertisement

Mack is likely to miss Friday night's game, and is apparently still a doubt for the Ireland-SA tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Yeah, you could tell by the way they've been speaking about Mack over the last number of weeks that they weren't confident at all in him being back before the end of the Connacht season. Fingers crossed it's just a bit of a delay, and nothing more long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Are we a development province again?

When was the last season we began without a significant playing addition?

Last year, we added JJ, O Brien, Jansen.Year before, Hurley Langton, Joyce, cordero, year before Murphy, Dooley, Hawkshaw etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

We've always been a development province.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Has he had difficulties recovering or has the injury always been this serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭phog

It might be happening

https://x.com/CianTracey1/status/1795711604555940248?t=-zgA6nHAEyyAyRYWphYeLQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Woukd be fairly confident it happens now tbh, don’t think he admits to it if it’s unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭phog

Maybe, originally I thought it would never happen but after reading that tweet, my initial thought was if Nienaber/Leinster wanted him then it would be very easy to sway his mind with the promise of game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

CONNACHT RUGBY MATCHDAY 23 VS LEINSTER RUGBY 
    19:35, Friday 31st May 2024 @ RDS Arena  

Number/name/caps (* denotes uncapped) 

15. Santiago Cordero (1)
    14. Shane Jennings (13)
    13. David Hawkshaw (29)
    12. Cathal Forde (30)
    11. Shane Mallon *
    10. Jack Carty (210)
    9. Caolin Blade (190)
    1. Peter Dooley (36)
    2. Dave Heffernan (199)
    3. Finlay Bealham (203)
    4. Joe Joyce (20)
    5. Niall Murray (74)
    6. Cian Prendergast (66)
    7. Conor Oliver (83)
    8. Sean Jansen (6) 

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin (35)
    17. Denis Buckley (247)
    18. Jack Aungier (66)
    19. Darragh Murray (24)
    20. Seán O’Brien (8)
    21. Colm Reilly (26)
    22. Byron Ralston (30)
    23. Tom Daly (80)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Mallon must be impressing in training, if he performs well we'll have a serious selection headache in the back 3 next season.

Advertisement