Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Calling it rambling nonsense is one thing. Explaining why would be helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

This season started with a ton of promise, the wins vs. Ospreys, Glasgow and Ulster and its hard not to look at it now as a very disappointing season. We've somehow appeared to regress over the season whereas you'd expect the team to get better as it grasps the ideas of a new coaching ticket.

The email today basically begging people to come to the Sportsground for the Zebre game is the cherry on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Rugby4568

Back line I’d like to see starting next match.
    9- Devine

10 - Forde

11 Jennings

12 Hawkshaw

13 Bundee Aki

14- Tom Farrell

15- Andrew Smith

And Rugby4568 you are coming across as more bitter than Rugby4567

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The email prompted a question I'd been wondering for a while. They said in it that the last 6 games had sold out but from a quick check there was only 4500 listed as the official attendance for Lions, 5200 for Scarlets and was over 7200 for Munster.

During the lead up to the lions and scarlets games I kept hearing there was very few tickets remaining but then at the matches there was any amount of free space.

Is it a case that we have already been set a reduced capacity that we can let in or is this just blatant misinformation?

For the first time in my life I am disliking your posts Borders. You have been at this long enough to know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lavrenti

And Leinster get Jordi Barrett. The IRFU have gone all in on Leinster now and the rest of us are three feeder teams.

Agree with other posters that we now treat the rest of this season as developmental and ensure Devine at 9, Forde at 10, and Jennings at 15 get all the game time going to the end of the season. We also need to reunite Aki and Farrell at 12 and 13 and hopefully get Hansen and Cordero some game time before the end of the season. With Ralston, Bolton, and Smith we actually have the makings of a decent back line there with Hawkshaw an option at 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Leinster probably sold more tickets in the last two weeks than we will all season. We have the strongest squad we've ever had and a major stadium redevelopment about to start, I don't think we can complain about the IRFU too strongly.

If you want big signings, throwing away our chance at the knockouts and the Champions Cup certainly isn't going to help. I would like to see that backline against Zebre though.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Delighted Keenan is moving here, him and Hansen will link up so well together, then we'll also have Andrew Smith on the other wing, that back 3 will wreak havoc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Well said. Likewise I have supported Connacht when they were winning a couple of games a season, don’t recall ever being as frustrated about the set up. After a lot of progress over the last ten to fifteen, there is a real lack of ambition about the current set up, a jobs for the boys attitude.

From all appearances, there was never any alternative to Wilkins seriously considered last season which is absolutely bizarre when you look at his resume and the resume of our recent head coaches - Lam was a Heineken cup winning captain as a player and a super rugby head coach, Kieran Keane despite being an unmitigated disaster had a hell of a CV was offered Lions back coach by Gatland but had committed to Connacht, Andy Friend had been a premiership head coach, a super rugby head coach and Australia sevens head coach.

Those were the appointments when Connacht was in a far weaker position and somehow when Connacht was in their best “shape” ever we ended up with a guy who had lost his position in Edinburgh as an assistant coach and been part of Friends set up which had some highs particularly the finish but plenty of recurring mistakes and lows too.

Connacht badly needed a fresh direction but powers that be took the unambitious easy option. The decision to give Wilkins a three year contract was perhaps the most ridiculous part of it - I highly doubt he was being remotely considered for any comparable job, giving him three years is frankly a ludicrous insensible decision and a sackable offence for Willie Ruane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

I think part of the difference in figures is

1. We have the bigger terraces for the inter pro games which is why Munster was higher.
    2. I think for the other games I think the difference is down to season ticket holders not attending and presumably some tickets sold and then people don’t attend.

Unaware Hugo Keenan signed for Connacht. That's great news 🤔. Or that again rugby5845,😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

In fairness to the coaching staff , defensive has improved a huge amount this year and after A rocky start at lineout time the set piece looks fairly solid. It is Sexton and ultimately Wilkins that I have question marks over. Carolan is such and easy call to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I appreciate that but the difference in numbers of these so called sold out games is seismic. I don't think the terrace was that much bigger for Munster to account for that number of people. Maybe a few hundred but not thousands. There used to be games not that long ago that we could push the attendance over 8k. Maybe health and safety has pushed that number back but even still you should have capacity to fit 6-6.5k in the ground minimum.

6129 is the figure given for Bristol. Let's just take that at face value. That means that assuming everyone turned up for that game 1600+ ticket holders had tickets for Lions that they didnt use and almost 1000 for Scarlets (5241). I'm sorry but no matter how Connacht spin that it shouldn't go unchallenged. Something around 10% would be a credible fall off figure but the fall off from Bristol to Lions is well over 30%. If 1600 people can be burning money like that we are obviously in the middle of a new bigger and better Celtic Tiger

I was always of the impression that if the ticket was sold you were counted in the attendance but even if that's not the case I find it hard to believe why the figures differ so wildly.

I know Willie Ruanes previous employer weren't the best at keeping track of figures but they'd do a better job of massaging them than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

I think to get into the top 8 will take 48 points, Same as last year and the average 8th place is scoring rigth now…

With a congested mid table that might drop a point.

That means we need 14 points out of our last 5 games… If we could get 9 - 10 points from nect two games we are in with a shout.

Munster away

Stromers at home

Leinster away (but if lucky after HC final and nothing to gain from the game)

So we would need 4-5 points from these last 3 games…

Not impossible but we need to start playing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Ospreys and Benetton are likely to drop points given their fixtures and Benetton fighting on two fronts, so Connacht have a chance. Pick up 9 or 10 points in the next two rounds, and 2 weeks off to throw everything at Munster, then a home match against Stormers, and two weeks to prepare for Leinster, and if they’ve secured the top two by then and if they make it to the final of the Champions Cup scheduled for the week after the Connacht fixture they could have a completely second string team out.

So, the next two matches are huge, get as many points as possible and then get ready for the last few rounds to be like knockout matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Jeez I don't know would I say it's improved a huge amount. They're still conceding a hell of a lot of points (I think 35+ average in the last 8 games). Obviously lads like Smith are going to take time to gel from 7's but some of the individual mistakes from established lads like Blade and Heffernan the last day were absolutely criminal.

I agree entirely on sending the feelers out to Carolan and taking the hit on Wilkins.

Systematically, when the opposition have the ball for periods of time, it’s been very good. It’s when Connacht miss a pass and the opposition react first or from kicks that Connacht don’t deal with that looks terrible. Far too many individual errors.

If you look at last weekend, we conceded 5 tries, which would lead you to think the defence was a major issue. However (IIRC), 1 was from a maul, two were directly from turnovers caused by poor attack, 1 was a kick receipt error, and 1 was a missed tackle by Blade on a good read. So our defensive system was not to blame for any scores. My take on our defence is that we are much more aggressive than previous seasons, which has worked very well against lower to mid table URC teams. However, against more powerful teams who have been able to dominate collisions, we have been blown out (Bulls, Bordeaux, Saracens, Lions).

• Advertisement

Team I'd like to see for Zebre at the weekend (making some guesses on injury availability):

15-9, 1-8: Jennings, Porch, Farrell, Forde, Smith, Hanrahan, Devine; Dooley, Tierney-Martin, Bealham, Dowling, Joyce, N Murray, Oliver, O'Brien

16-23: Heffernan, Duggan, Illo, D Murray, Jansen, Blade, Hawkshaw, Gavin

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

It seems we've managed to disprove the old saying that "the best form of defense is attack" quite a lot recently - with confusion or poor handling leading to turnovers, and those turnovers often resulting in demoralizing tries conceded. So, the onus is really on Mark Sexton to instill some clarity in the players minds, even if that means simplifying things considerably. Against Zebre and Dragons, hopefully we can build some confidence, and then who knows how we'll fair in the remaining fixtures. Hope is not lost, but the margin for error is gone at this stage.

Piers O’Conor rumoured to be coming to Connacht along with Lasisi and Ben Murphy from Leinster.

Could probably still do with a loosehead, 8, outhalf and fullback.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

while Piers O Conor would be a very good signing and IQ now, do connacht really need another utility back?

Lasisi is a done deal I'm pretty sure. Had heard about Murphy also, but O'Conor is a new one on me. Where's it coming from?

Probably not but we do need a 13 if Farrell is leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Lasisi will be at loosehead. Why are we letting Tom Farrell go for Piers O'Conor?

RIL on twitter, they’re pretty good for English based news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

They would probably be replacing Farrell, McCoy and McDonald. Not that there's and confirmation of any of those leaving yet. Out of the 3 other positions 10 is the priority. Now that they have finally decided to give Jennings a go I think we could be ok at 15. If Boyle gets a run of games he could get back the form he had a few years back. I think himself and Jansen are good players but are injured alot. Who would you like to see coming in at 10 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

i get where you're coming from but we seem to have had so many instances of individual mistakes like Blade shooting out the line and badly missing all year. I suppose a poor restart defence would also be more seen as individual too but we're blighted by them all season too. That seems to be a trait they had under Friendy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Number 137

Where do I start? The idea of essentially turning the sport into a different sport by removing scrums and changing ruck laws in a way that makes no sense. I also get people don't like certain referees, but the unprovoked attack on Frank Murphy and calling him bitter is incredibly ironic. Do better.

Advertisement