Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thank for posting - can't wait for more moments like that at the sportsground. I've said it since the start of covid - I'll know things are truly back to normal when I'm jumping around like a mad man on the clan terrace hugging strangers after a big Connacht win. The sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Looking forward to this. Got 2 tickets woohoo.

Good to see Duggans injury wasn't too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Dever, Jackson, Cooke, O'Sullivan, and Sean O'Brien back in Ireland for us today!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Lads what's the story with the pronunciation of Niall Murray's surname? Is this an Athlone thing like Walsh being pronounced "Welsh" in particular parts of Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The commentator is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Well…..this is f**king grim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Not going to get too upset about a friendly but that was a rubbish first half performance. New coaches but same old issues; narrow defence, maul d, ball protection. Prendergast the standout for me, despite a few errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

The Frank Murphy tour of rugby refereeing shithousery continues

Post edited by freyners on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Great work from Predergast to get on the end of that. Nice line for the finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

Jaysus, this is grim. As for the lineout? Words fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I know it’s only pre-season but those are some big scores that we’ve had put on us. Going back towards the end of last season we really are conceding a lot of points. In the last 9 games we’ve conceded 40+ points in 5 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭b.gud

That's Rob Murphy and William Davies from Craggy Rugby. You can hear them commentate on every Connacht match on Galway Bay FM. It's great because they actually know what they're talking about when it comes to Connacht unlike the majority of other commentators

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Great to be back at the Sportsground!

Woeful performance however. Huge two weeks for the lads before Cardiff.

What happened to Dowling?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

That was awful. Really, really poor. Looking at a hammering in Cardiff first up if they’re not massively improved.

Hopefully that’s the last time he is in the sportsground. If the league is going to be taking seriously, can’t have an ex player reffing club he lined out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Ah okay. Hopefully just a stinger as he didn't seem to be carrying it awfully bad walking off.

Bolton went well enough. Hansen was on ballboy duty on the sidelines.

All has been written

Awful collectively

2 lineouts won, about 8 lost.

Scrum overall on the back-foot.

Slow support

Handling and passing errors (no friendly excuse, L.I played its 1st friendly and did not make many)

Dominated in most contacts

So poor defence both in organisation and commitment overall (desperate episodic scrumble or kamikaze rush don't count for much)

All that vs bottom of table club (tough they were ok, they weren't Leinster)

21 y.o Prendergast and Bolton are forward and back of the match, really gems yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

I didn't get to tune in but in the area of Roscommon that he's from it's pronounced "Mur-ray" (so maybe that's what was said) but elsewhere it's pronounced more like "Mur-ree"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Great to see rugby back.

Thought there were some good individual performances, marmian, prendergast, Oliver and Masterson showed well, scrum held up well when Duggan and aungier were on.

Protecting our ball in contact and lineout were pretty poor. Lineout looked like it lacked any subtlety at all. Poor Ultan had a game to forget but in fairness he usually needs a few games under his belt before he hits form.

I hope we can avoid Frank Murphy for most of the season because I just can't see the game the way he does most of the time and win lose or draw it spoils my enjoyment of the game.

Bolton, though not the fastest, has serious steps and physicality too.

It's more of a collective problem

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

The pronunciation of Murray was interesting. I was at a loss on that one. It was all fine and good LI playing the ball like a hot potato but on a most basic level the lineout was shocking. Everything else was chaotic but you need to get the basics right. You could argue that Connacht were done out of a couple of tries but really was irrelevant

From the 42, Blade has leg injury, will miss Cardiff trip, should be back for second round. Butler and Boyle had food poisoning which caused late withdrawals from London Irish game. Aki back training this week, won’t be available until round three or four.

Boyle Butler Masterson Prendergast Oliver

pick 3 (4 with bench)

Post edited by connachta on

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Prendergast 6, Butler 7, Boyle 8, Masterson bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Tbh Oliver has consistently outperformed Butler since his arrival. I do think Jarrad deserves a chance to play himself into form however.

Oliver is in form and gets turnovers.

But he's too small and light ... I'd still go with Butler, very consistant if not shinny, and bring more fuel, support around the ball carrier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Are those 2 games the only pre season games for Connacht?

Could do with 1 this weekend too by the looks of things.

• Advertisement

Shane Jennings included in sevens squad for World Series in Vancouver this weekend. Only three guys left from Olympics squad they are trying some new people/testing depth.

Not sure what to think about it, I thought he might get some game time on the wing (as centre is stacked) this season but it has helped the development of some such as Hugo Keenan.

Anyway best of luck to him.

Advertisement