Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Looking forward to the season, but my levels of expectation are very low. Losing Quinn was a big blow, but to start the season with those injuries, especially to Thornbury is a huge concern. I can see us getting bullied quite badly unfortunately, but obviously hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Sure you were never a fan of Quins. You used call him a penalty machine from the Clan Terrace

Very undecided on this.

Would be a great day out, but unfortunately, it won't suit a huge amount of fans.

I imagine there's a push from the IRFU to do it. Will increase the profits, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I'm not impressed at all. Extra cost and time of getting to the Aviva and losing a home game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭testtech05

I think I agree with you to be honest, it wont suit me to travel to it due to family commitments and I am not sure would I have made it had the game been left in Galway but there was a better chance.

Obviously its great for any fans outside the province but essentially losing a home game in what looks like being a tough season is a big risk.

Hopefully we get a win and make loads of money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Not a fan of that. Have family around that weekend and we were all planning on heading to the game at the sportsground. Not going to bother heading up to Dublin for a “home” game.

Also it is first home inter-pro with fans in god knows how long and will be the first with full capacity since February 2020 and they go moving it out of the SG?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I'm all for it as a once off. Saturday evening is ideal timing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seem to be aiming for 20/30k at game so seems like a numbers game. Wonder are are expecting a fair few neutrals in that figure. Talk of a change in kick off time but seems to be the same as far as I can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sucks to lose a home game but I imagine this is a revenue generating decision from the IRFU on the back of lost profits from the last 18 months. Will be interesting to see if it's a one off or will all the other provinces lose a home game at some point during the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

provinces have the option to use lansdowne if they wish, connacht have taken up the offer, as have leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Think it's also timing of restrictions and game. If easing of restrictions are delayed (which is unlikely) could be 50% capacity so difference between 4k in Sportsground and 25k in Lansdowne Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

Leinster host their home games in Dublin, they moving their game/s to the Avivia has no little or no impact for fans. Any other Irish province moving there will have an impact on fans travelling from their home province, obviously, this game will suit fans based in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

Who said differently? Connacht have decided to take the potential big payday in dublin overplaying in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Connacht fans have proven more than capable of making any neutral ground their own in the past. Also let's not forget the result the last time the two met in the aviva...

Have to laugh at everyone dying to see Connacht play again, but not if they have to travel a wee bit up the road to do it. Put your big boy pants on, hop in the car/bus/train and go turn the Aviva green...

If it helps the province shore up the coffers after a long period of severely reduced income, all the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Strand1970

Only about 45mins additional travel time for fans from Sligo. Not too bad

Also let’s not forget that the last time we played them in the Aviva there were no fans so that result is irrelevant. Ulster fans will significantly outnumber Connacht fans. This has more than halved their journey for the match when most Connacht are having to travel 2 and a half hours.

Plus it’s not as simple as just telling people to head up to Dublin and get over it. I have family visiting from abroad that weekend and we all planned to go to the game. We won’t be now as going to it would take up so much of their time when they are back. They are expecting people from Connacht to travel to Dublin in the middle of a bank holiday weekend for what was supposed to be a home game.

I think this decision actually shows a serious lack of ambition too. We are giving up home advantage and therefore reducing our chances of reaching the play-offs. Why would you do that if you have aspirations to get there?

Finally, I think the financial benefit of this is being over estimated. I don’t think there will be more than 20k at this. Possibly closer to 15k. They could have sold out the SG at 8k. Is the difference really worth it?

The reaction to this has been more negative than positive so I know I am not the only one that feels this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

i dont see how this shows a lack of ambition.

20k at 30 quid is far more than what you take from sportsground even with rent of aviva. Connacht say they consulted with the Clan as well which shows support.

My problem with this, is that I can no longer go.

I've a 2year old child. I can't just tell the wife that I'm gone for the day for a rugby match.

Had the game been in Galway, its more acceptable to be gone for 3 hours.

It's a money making exercise, and that's fine. It's just frustrating that it's going to stop a lot of season ticket holders from attending.

I wonder did they ever consider using Pearse Stadium? Could have had 15k fans there easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Out of interest are they refunding STH if they can’t go?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Why would they?

I have a season ticket and can't go to Friday matches due to work and travel

I don't look for my money back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Because you knew buying that ticket where the matches were being played, it’s not when it’s on it’s the fact it’s moved out of the province. I’d be very annoyed if I was a STH that couldn’t make it based on the match being moved to a different city not in the province and not even being offered a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I'm glad for you that you have the day free but for an awful lot of fans it isn't that simple.

A game in Dublin is a full day's commitment that people mightnt be in a position to give. It's also a lot of additional expense that people mightnt have factored in particularly if you're bringing a family whereas a match in the sportsground is 2 or so hours out of a weekend and some travel time depending where you're based in the province

I have a season ticket and can't make the trip whereas I could have made the sportsground. I hope its a big success but as with any of these big stadiums there's a certain threshold you have to pass to make the game any way profitable and imo it'll be a struggle.

Connacht generally don't bring huge numbers to away interpro games and Ulster fans mightnt be pushed. Let's not forget its not a bank holiday in NI.

I'm planning on ringing the branch tomorrow about this.

Being honest, I'm not bothered about the money, I'm more annoyed about the way its sold. Like we're so privileged to be allowed attend a match in the Aviva.

As pointed out above, this game has changed from being a few hours of my evening, to a full day commitment.

I think Connacht have misjudged how the fans feel about this

I doubt Connacht really had any choice. The last 18 months have been devastating for the IRFU's finances so if they think they can make more money playing games in the Aviva, they kinda have to do it. It's a real pity and ordinarily I'd agree with you but this is going to be a weird season as all sports try and work out how best to recover from the last 18 months.

It's a pity there isn't a more suitable stadium closer to Connacht, or in Connacht, but there isn't, not really, once you set flights of fancy about the various GAA grounds aside. (Arguably Thomond would suit South Connacht fans more but would be worse for North Connacht and Ulster fans)

In a sporting sense it does. We are at an obvious disadvantage by giving up home advantage. I can’t imagine Munster or Ulster agreeing to play a home game in Dublin.

Besides I think your 20k estimate is ambitious. I really don’t think we will gain as much financially as people think.

I saw that the Clan were apparently consulted alright. I find that strange. They are just a supporters club. They don’t represent all Connacht fans. Surely an email to season ticket holders and Club 1888 members would have given them an idea of what most match going fans thought of the idea. From the reaction today I think it would have been quickly shelved. Looking on the clan forum itself the reaction has been all negative and I have even seen someone asking were they consulted at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I dont see that it does show lack of ambition in a sporting sense. If it financially made sense to move a game Munster and Ulster most certainly would move a home game to Dublin

I dont see how 20k is ambitious. There will still be several thousand who will travel over from west, more are likely to travel down from Ulster as its easier to get to and plenty in Dublin may now go who otherwise wouldnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ShineyShiney

I'm another in the negative camp.

Poor decision imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Worth remembering that Connacht lost all their home interpros last year, but beat every other province away. Not sure they're losing much on the pitch.

I think it's a great idea tbh. I can see why a STH in Galway might be miffed but if you want better players and a new stadium, gotta start generating more income, it's that simple.

• Advertisement

Oh ffs.

Just checked. Match is at 17:15. Reasonable to expect it to finish at 19:15.

Last train from Heuston to Galway on the day of the match - 19:35

So either leave early if you want to take the train, or stay over night

Advertisement