Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Say they will have to be proactive and put on buses. Bank holiday weekend so accommodation would be expensive that weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I've got in-laws in Dublin, so I'll probably use this as an excuse to go visit with the family, but even I think this was a bad call. Really hope it works out well, but there's a fair chance it'll blow up in their faces I feel (low attendance, more Ulster fans than Connacht, and an Ulster win).

I also had checked the train times from Galway - surely they should have checked something as basic as that, and worked the times around it (even a 5pm kick off would make a difference there). Who knows, maybe they'll work with Irish rail to add an extra train - doubtful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Worth remembering too that there was no one at the games so home advantage last year was no real advantage. Connachts home record in general last year was appalling. It was actually the points got in the away games that saved the season somewhat which has never been the case before. Its always our home games that gives us the majority of our points.

Connachts home v away record (especially in interpros) in normal seasons show very clearly why home advantage matters. We've had one win away to both Munster and Ulster in living memory when there was crowds and 2002 was the last time we won away to Leinster.

I'm a Connacht fan based in the east and I think it's a ridiculous decision to make. I can't even make it as its a Bank Holiday I had made other plans well in advance. If something like this is to be announced especially on a bank holiday weekend fans need to be given a fair amount of notice to add it to their calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

It's not the end of the world but it's not a great idea either, STHs should at least be allowed to claim a refund if they can't make the trip. Booking tickets for home matches usually mean the home matches are in the home province. Fans are just being allowed back to matches and then an obstacle is being placed in the way to attend a "home" match with no word of a refund.

• Advertisement

I rang Connacht Rugby just now, to express my opinion.

I asked to speak to someone regarding the match, and the nice lady who answered the phone offered to speak to me about it.

Firstly, she explained that Connacht were offered the use of the Aviva, and felt that because of capacity options it was a great idea.

She through out the same reasoning that Connacht have shared in emails

• More fans
    • Opportunity to see us play in the Aviva
    • Premium Level seats for Season Ticket holders
    • Support from the Connacht Clan

I asked was it a purely financial decision, and she adamantly denied this. Said that they dont expect to make any extra money from this game.

I then went through my reasons for not supporting the game. She let me rant/vent, and didnt give much reaction to be fair.

My reasons included

• First home interpro in a long time
    • Time constraints - 3hours to see a game in the Sportsground vs 12 hours in the Aviva
    • Family commitments - can't just leave my wife and daughter for an entire day to watch rugby with such short notice
    • Cost of going to Dublin - No evening train, so drive (~€40 on fuel) or bus (~60 buses needed for 3,000 fans) or over night stay
    • Bank Holiday weekend, people make plans, and can't change that easily

I asked about the support from the Connacht Clan that they mentioned. Explained that there has been no word from Connacht Clan on this. Clan forum has about 20 active users these days, so not a great representation of the supporters

I asked about a refund, and she hadn't heard anything

She advised me to email Connacht rugby with my concerns, and she'd make sure that they get passed on

info @ connachtrugby .ie

I'm going to do that now, and see how I get on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’d be very surprised if this was anything but a financial decision. At least you could respect them coming out and saying it even if you didn’t like the decision itself. Things like getting to see the team in the aviva has such a smell of bull off it that really she should have apologised to you for being insincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Ah at end of the day worker there was likely just relaying the points they've been told to promote the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

In fairness she's probably only a customer service agent with no say in the matter who is taking the flack for the likes of Ruane who would be very high up in the final decision.

With respect to the Connacht Clan members they are the absolute hardest of the hardcores who travel abroad multiple times per year. But I don't they're a fair representation of the thousands of Connacht fans that are affected by this move and I don't see any sort of follow-up to genuine criticism raised by supporters yesterday.

I've no doubt if Connacht/IRFU changed their mind and moved back to Sportsground they would easily be able to get the temp terraces up behind the goals to make it closer to 8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

15. Tiernan O’Halloran (190)

14. John Porch (40)

13. Tom Farrell (62)

12. Tom Daly (49)

11. Mack Hansen *

10. Jack Carty (159)

9. Kieran Marmion (187)

1. Matthew Burke (23)

2. Shane Delahunt (100)

3. Finlay Bealham (159)

4. Oisin Dowling (7)

5. Ultan Dillane (114)

6. Cian Prendergast (10)

7. Conor Oliver (20)

8. Jarrad Butler (73) (C)

16. Dave Heffernan (144)

17. Jordan Duggan (13)

18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy (68)

19. Niall Murray (18)

20. Paul Boyle (57)

21. Hubert Gilvarry *

22. Conor Fitzgerald (36)

23. Sammy Arnold (16)

Gilvarry seems like a left field selection..I don't recall seeing him against London Irish, I think he typically plays centre, is he emergency 9 cover??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

"There’s also a potential debut off the bench for Hubert Gilvarry. The scrum-half has represented Sligo RFC and Sligo Grammar School and has been integrated in the Pro setup the last number of weeks."

From the team announcement on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Gilvarry was a wing/centre underage but has been converting to 9 I believe. Odd that he has leapfrogged Will Reilly, who has a hell of a lot more experience in the position.

Not a fan of that backrow at all, we're going to be extremely reliant on Prendergast to win gainline. If you absolutely must pick that combination starting Heffernan would help as he's basically an extra backrow.

Looking forward to seeing Hansen, must have impressed in training and for the Eagles.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I prefer Porch at 15 than wing, gets on the ball more often and very secure under high ball. I don't know much about Gilvarry and naturally hope he develops into a regular senior player especially considering he is indigenous but having a twenty year old recently converted 9 who has no senior team experience in the first matchday 23 reflects the squad being 3/4 players short to be honest. With the South African sides joining, this is the worst year in a long time to have a shallow squad. Could be a long season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

On the flip side, perhaps his selection shows that Gilvarry has taken to 9 extremely well given that he has been picked ahead of two "natural" scrumhalves in Devine and Reilly (both are fit and playing for the Eagles this weekend). He has great feet so if he nails down the fundamentals of the position he could be an exciting prospect.

Agree that the squad seems shallow and a few injuries could leave us in big trouble, need that new loosehead asap.

Yeah that's certainly the glass half full outlook! Hopefully you are right, it just seems when he wasn't involved with Ireland u20s or the pre season warm ups (afaik) this is a big step up and reflective of depth issues. But as you say he has passed out two 9s who have been in the position far longer, one of whom was selected for Ireland u20s ahead of him. Obviously hoping he has an outstanding cameo and develops, great to see any young player making it from academy but indigenous Connacht players are really vital.

35 euro a ticket for Aviva game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Interpros in the sports ground are normally in and around 30 anyway

That's minus the not insignificant cost of travel expenses on top of that 35 euro. This has been very poorly handled all round tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭gallyind

im away at the home at the moment in the Us, but id love to see them play in the Aviva, I know it annoys some folks, but if We face reality we have to grow the Fan base. Drawing in some folks from the West of Ireland but are based in dublin will help in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Always a bit of a worry starting a season with so many injuries already. And a difficult away game to start.

Interesting Jackman saying there's a noticeable size difference between the two sides here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Great try. Lovely steal, great hands. Nice

Lineout not great. Lose it in a good position sets up Cardiff counter attack that almost ends in a try in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Strand1970

Charming Cardiff fan with the hand jesture

• Registered Users Posts: 11,145 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

awful from carty there

Cardiff try right on half time. All came from a Carty forward pass to Porch which gave them great field position for the attacking scrum under the posts.

Yeah never in doubt that it was forward.

Disappointing to go in behind at half time

That was a bit of a gift for Cardiff after Connacht had to work so hard for a 6 point lead. If you’re going to counter attack from under your own posts you can’t just hand it over like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That sort of try on the half would make any defensive coach pull his hair out. It was very soft. Carty probably shouldn’t have given the pass but the idea was good and the pace Porch showed was impressive.

• Advertisement

There are close passes and there was that pass. I'm pretty certain when you are going to give a pass that forward you know before it leaves your hands. He definitely shouldn't have given it.

Advertisement