Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

I know it's first game of season and wasn't a full strength team by any means, but looks like Connacht defensively as porous as ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

From watcher of Worcester

"the second half was massively fragmented with changes and stoppages. Connachts bench was emptied by about 60 minutes long before ours and their depth (or lack of it) really showed IMO."

We have to look mainly at the HT score, 17-10, which isn't bad.

Depth will be there with Boyle, Bealham, Heff, Daly, Dillane, Thornbury, Papali'i, Aungier, Blade, and players fitting in after coming or coming back (Bolton, Hansen, Farrell, Robb, McGrath, Fifita'a, Illo, McCormack,Tierney-Martin)

Any news about Duggan off early?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Yeah I don't think you can read much into a pre season friendly scoreline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Id agree, in general you would prefer to win but there are too many oddities in selection in matches like this to read much into the scoreline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Like these are tries conceded you won't see in a competitive match

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1434090262993715202?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Great to see Farrell with the set up Oliver's try. Rest of it is fairly standard preseason stuff. Reilly fond of a quick tap

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

At least Connacht didn't concede any tries off mauls. That's one thing I'm hoping to see a lot less of this season. Curious to hear a prop report as well (an an update regarding Duggan).

I'd like to see Daly, Bolton, Hansen, Thornbury (if fit), Dillane, Aungier (if fit), S.Masterson starting vs London Irish

No Botham, Navidi and Adams (mainly), vs us

Hope some of our internationals will be available, at least Dillane and Bealham.

I'd be ok without Boyle (Prendergast 6/Masterson 8), Blade (Marmion) or Heff (Delahunt)

More worried about a second row without any of Thornbury/Ultan, and LH of course...

• Advertisement

BTW Wootton has to play too. And Sullivan

For London Irish, with Jamie Dever back to the Sportsground, i'd test

1) Bealham

2) Delahunt

3) Aungier

4) Dillane

5) Fifita'a

6) S.Masterson

7) Butler

8) E.Masterson

9) Marmion

10) Carty

11) Wootton

12) Daly

13) Bolton

14) BOD

15) TOH

16) Tierney-Martinn

17) Burke

18) McCoy

19) Murray

20) Oliver

21) C.Reilly

22) C.Fitz

23) Hansen

24) Arnold

25) Dowling

26) Sullivan

How the 50% capacity will be counted?

Based on classic configuration, which means 3750, or extended one, which means we could have our typical 4500 attendence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's 75% for outdoor I thought ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The email came in there for 1885 supporters. LI game is free for deferred STers which is a nice touch. Deferrals also guaranteed a ticket for the 50% capacity games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

75 if everyone is fully vaccinated. Connacht going for 50 so vaccination not relevant. Less work on the gates for them and all season ticket holders can still be accommodated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭testtech05

I'm a little confused how this will work for those of us who donated some of the cost of last years ticket to the club, I assume we would then be asked to pay the difference owed to get the new season ticket for this year.

I have a friend who donated his whole ticket price last year surely he would still be treated as a renewal as well in this case, and just need to pay for the new ticket. It would leave a bit of a sour taste if not.

Waiting to hear back from the club how it will be handled. Cant wait to get back in for a game again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Why is The Sportsground operating at 50% capacity?

2021/22 Season Ticket holders (i.e. those who purchased 20/21 season tickets and then deferred them until 21/22) are not bound by any vaccination terms or conditions and their tickets must be honoured.

For anyone wondering why they went with 50% instead of 75% this is answered in their FAQ

Great bit of info there thanks guys. Looking forward to getting to a couple of games!!

What day is the LI game on ? I wonder if it will be streamed on YouTube like the Munster game last season ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Tomorrow at 5.30. Not sure it'll be streamed if there's going to be 50% capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Jordan Duggan fine thankfully. Interesting to see Daly Bolton in centre. Good to see Kilgallen getting opportunity too.

First time back in Sportsground since covid, roll on tomorrow evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Senior players yet to feature:

Denis Buckley - injured

Finlay Bealham

Sam Illo

Dylan Tierney-Martin

Leva Fifita

Gavin Thornbury

Sean Masterson

Abraham Papli'i - suspended

Caolin Blade

Bundee Aki - Lions

Peter Robb

Mack Hansen

Alex Wootton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Carty captaining the team tomorrow, that'll be his first time I think?

Hansen wasn't on Worcester teamsheet?

Training pics at least

Post edited by connachta on

Aaaah, wish i could be in the Sportsground tomorrow. Looks like a nice team, a mixture of youth and experience. Hope there's a stream as I really want to see how things go at loosehead with Burke. Will be cool to see Shayne Bolton as well.

We won't see 6 theorical starter vs Cardiff then, in all likelihood, Bealham, Thornbury, Fifita'a, Wootton, Aki, Blade (maybe the latter)

We should see for URC debut those who played quite a lot in both games, i.e Duggan, Dowling, Prendergast, Marmion, Carty, TOH, Oliver, McCoy, Fitz, Burke, and Murray (for the last names, on the bench)

+ international guys Boyle, Dillane, Heff, and massive players Daly/Aungier/Butler/Porsh

So T'morrow "fights" for final spots are :

1) Delahunt or Heffernan to start n°2

2) E.Masterson or Oliver to start in the backrow (Butler playng accordingly)

3) Farrell or gem Bolton 13

4) Healy or O'Donnell 11

5) O'Donnell or Arnold as utility back 23

Post edited by connachta on

To get in the mood for the coming season, enjoy this video of Robin Copeland's last minute try against Gloucester in the HEC 2019. Why? Because it was an awesome team try, which strangely can't be found in its entirety anywhere on youtube, but it remains one of my favourite Connacht scores in recent years.

https://www.espn.com.ar/video/clip/_/id/6423856?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Advertisement