Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tested Positive.. so what next?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

shoppergal wrote: »
    In our house the 3 year old had it but neither husband or I or the other 2 kids got it. He was v sick for 2 days and he basically was on me, I slept in with him, he all but coughed directly into my mouth, and I didn't get it. My dad was here for 3 hours on Xmas day, door was open the entire time and he got it.

That must have been such a stressful time for you, shoppergal. Hope your little one and dad are okay now. So strange (and great of course) that you didn't get it considering your proximity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wasn't there some early research that those who had the BCG vaccine were less likely to contract Covid? I haven't heard anything about that in a while but I wonder if that's a factor where there has been close contact without infection etc.

There was indeed, late last year. Anyone who had the bcg vaccine was either less likely to catch it or have major symptoms. The study didn’t determine which.

Prior to Christmas it could have been a nice theory as to why the virus never exploded in Ireland given most people got the bcg but that theory is out the window this month :(

Incidentally I got double doses of bcg over my lifetime due to sub Saharan travel. Wonder if that makes me a superhero :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭DJ98

Can anyone clear this up, if you test positive, does your isolation begin from the day of the test or the day of showing first symptoms? Have been isolated since I developed symptoms and only very mild symptoms but just wondering when my isolation period end. Can't find a definite answer anywhere online

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

DJ98 wrote: »
    Can anyone clear this up, if you test positive, does your isolation begin from the day of the test or the day of showing first symptoms? Have been isolated since I developed symptoms and only very mild symptoms but just wondering when my isolation period end. Can't find a definite answer online

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation/when-you-can-stop-self-isolating.html

Most people can stop self-isolating when both of these apply:

you've had no fever for 5 days
    it has been 10 days since you first developed symptoms
    If you tested positive because you are a close contact, you may have no symptoms. In this case, you can stop self-isolating 10 days from the date of your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

JDMC2 wrote: »
    I’m not denying that we took a risk however, it was our decision and we didn’t hurt anyone in the process. We made the HSE and doctor aware of what we were doing and none of them felt it was a bad idea.
    As a family, we are now ‘safe’ and can no longer infect others. In saying that, under no circumstances will we drop our guard. We have always taken our obligations outside the house very seriously and will continue to do so.
    I would dispute the severity of this virus and the numbers the % of people that end up in hospital. This virus has infected thousands of people in Ireland that are not listed in the figures. Those not included are those that believe they have it but don’t bother getting tested and those that are are asymptomatic. If you say it’s 5% of those end up in hospital, realistically it’s probably around 2%......similar to flu?

Now your “ safe” and can no longer affect others.
    Is that definite ? I thought you could get it again and infect again ? Am I wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Is that definite ? I thought you could get it again and infect again ? Am I wrong

Technically not wrong, but in practicality yes you are wrong. The current number of known second infections is tiny (less than getting chicken pox twice for example).

Real research is only just emerging now, for example: https://www.journalofinfection.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0163-4453%2820%2930781-7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

You're correct. Small numbers but absolutely correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Concern is how many people don't know where they got the virus... i.e community transmission.
    It'd be very hard to establish a chain back to show that someone got it from shopping.

They should get the app

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Technically not wrong, but in practicality yes you are wrong. The current number of known second infections is tiny (less than getting chicken pox twice for example).

Real research is only just emerging now, for example: https://www.journalofinfection.com/action/showPdf?pii=S0163-4453%2820%2930781-7

Do you have a link for the Chicken Pox compared with Covid re-infection data?

I've officially had Chicken pox twice - I wouldn't rate my chances with Covid ...

Also risk of second time infections from Covid going undetected

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

callaway92 wrote: »
    They should get the app

Just a question on the app.

I use it when going out, the only out i go is grocery shopping at max once a week. When I get home I turn off location and Bluetooth if I was a close contact while shopping is it OK to have location and Bluetooth off for the rest of the time. Probably a stupid question....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Queried wrote: »
    Thanks guys! Elderly grandparent tested positive 8 days ago and so far only minor gastric symptoms that we're not sure are actually related to the virus as it wouldn't be unusual anyway. Caught between optimism and worry.

To follow up on that, does anyone know how long typically after symptoms are you "out of danger" so to speak? I don't mean in terms of passing it on. I mean in terms of escaping serious effects?

What I mean is, if a person has minor symptoms, tests positive and then isn't too bad. Is there any sort of typical progression to hospitalisation? Does it get progressively worse and worse each day or can you be grand and then everything just suddenly turn?

Obviously, timelines for presenting would have to be a little skewed by people - some will get freaked and want to go as soon as symptoms start looking anyway dodgy and others will do the "I'm grand" and be in bits and leave it until the last minute. But I was reading that hospitalisations typically happen about a week in. At what stage after infection are you probably 99.999% confident that you won't need hospitalisation?

Do the people who have "long Covid" generally have had major symptoms or can even asymptomatic people (at the time of infection) also suffer from those effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

To follow up on that, does anyone know how long typically after symptoms are you "out of danger" so to speak? I don't mean in terms of passing it on. I mean in terms of escaping serious effects?

What I mean is, if a person has minor symptoms, tests positive and then isn't too bad. Is there any sort of typical progression to hospitalisation? Does it get progressively worse and worse each day or can you be grand and then everything just suddenly turn?

Obviously, timelines for presenting would have to be a little skewed by people - some will get freaked and want to go as soon as symptoms start looking anyway dodgy and others will do the "I'm grand" and be in bits and leave it until the last minute. But I was reading that hospitalisations typically happen about a week in. At what stage after infection are you probably 99.999% confident that you won't need hospitalisation?

Do the people who have "long Covid" generally have had major symptoms or can even asymptomatic people (at the time of infection) also suffer from those effects?

That’s a good question and no real answer for it unfortunately.. I was talking to a guy whose friend died recently 54 no underlying problem and had a slight cough.
    He got tested positive and was feeling ok for a few days after test then all of a sudden cough got worse and going upstairs to bed one night started coughing up blood. He ended up in icu and died 2 days later ..
    I have a sister who tested positive and just had no taste or smell for a week or more and 4 others in same house all were negative .

I suppose the fear we all have is the getting caught for breath and that seems to be the one that has the most serious consequences and it doesn’t help to have underlying conditions but there are healthy people who are dying also ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

callaway92 wrote: »
    They should get the app

I have the app but the contact tracers did not want to know about it when they contacted me. They would have found nothing though as I caught the virus either grocery shopping or walking in the local park.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Got the phone call about an hour ago. Had a feeling I had it as I lost my smell and taste the other day. Bit tired and stomach Is at me now and again but other than that I think il be fine. Heart goes out to you all who have it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sheddie2

Edit: Moved to the other thread

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you have a link for the Chicken Pox compared with Covid re-infection data?

I've officially had Chicken pox twice - I wouldn't rate my chances with Covid ...

Also risk of second time infections from Covid going undetected

"Very Rarely" :)https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/chickenpox#:~:text=Most%20people%20who%20have%20had,case%20of%20chickenpox%20does%20happen.

I had a link to the first real research for Covid reinfection (that I have seen) above.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

"Very Rarely" :)https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/chickenpox#:~:text=Most%20people%20who%20have%20had,case%20of%20chickenpox%20does%20happen.

I had a link to the first real research for Covid reinfection (that I have seen) above.

Yup thanks - was aware of that.

I presumed you were referencing an article or other link comparing chicken pox vs covid reinfection rates.

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

My next question is: For how long will I have protective antibodies, and I am now protected against other emerging strains such as the South African one?

Health workers who had Covid are being called to get the vaccine so they are erring on the side of caution. Apparently if you've had it already when you are given the vaccine your side effects will be a bit worse than people who haven't had the virus but the side effects aren't bad.

Taking the fourth member of the household to get tested today, So far two positive and 1 negative which I am struggling to rationalize (given the negative shares a bed + couch with one of the positives...)

So I waited a few weeks and went for my Anti Body test - negative, so that was 3 positives and 1 negative in the same house, with no real attempt at isolating...

Advertisement