Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tested Positive.. so what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Is a snotty/runny nose a symptom? Also got abit of phlegm in my throat. Had abit of a cough but was grand after hacking up all the gunk (apologies for any1 eating while reading!) Temp is always 36.6- 37.1. Not sure about aches and pains, I've been binging on junk food and beer the past 2weeks, I feel abit rough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

Nasal congestion isn't usually a symptom nor is a productive cough(brining up phlegm). But the HSE now says that any new cough could be covid. Thought it was only a dry one..

Covid symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Yea read that site too. I think il get tested tho, probably shud have mentioned I was in a+e over 3weeks ago, for a couple of hours, non covid related, I wore a n95 mask+doused myself in sanitizer. Washed my clothes when I got home+scrubbed myself in the shower. Then wore a mask around the house for another 2weeks incase I spread anything. Was grand until 2days ago. I will get tested tho to be safe. It may be a cold tho, got a draught in my room, it's been Baltic past few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just to be aware when it comes to little uns in the household testing positive\negative, there was an interview with Professor Luke O'Neill where he said children can test negative even though they were recently infected.

Their immune system responds so aggressively to expel the virus that there is only a narrow window of time in which they would test positive.

I wonder if the same is true of some % of adults as well (aggressive immune system) as the one negative in our household is also the one person who never gets sick (when they do spike a fever it lasts for 4 hours or so), has travelled extensively (lots of vaccines in their youth for Africa etc.), would have had vaccines for India 5 years ago, Ate a lot of mud as a kid etc...

But they also have had mild symptoms (tickly cough).

FWIW we are isolating as if its a false negative.

Yea read that site too. I think il get tested tho, probably shud have mentioned I was in a+e over 3weeks ago, for a couple of hours, non covid related, I wore a n95 mask+doused myself in sanitizer. Washed my clothes when I got home+scrubbed myself in the shower. Then wore a mask around the house for another 2weeks incase I spread anything. Was grand until 2days ago. I will get tested tho to be safe. It may be a cold tho, got a draught in my room, it's been Baltic past few days

If you picked it up in A&E you would have expected to have symptoms after 5/6 days and would have been asked to isolate for 14 days, so not that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone lose their sense of taste???? Mine and the wife seem to have lost ours overnight. What the timeframe on that returning?..

Last December 2019 both myself and my wife got the flu. I lost my sense of taste for about a week, my wife didn't. I am sure you will get it back gradually after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

Is a snotty/runny nose a symptom? Also got abit of phlegm in my throat. Had abit of a cough but was grand after hacking up all the gunk (apologies for any1 eating while reading!) Temp is always 36.6- 37.1. Not sure about aches and pains, I've been binging on junk food and beer the past 2weeks, I feel abit rough!

I have the same symptoms as you; congested nose, phlegm in my throat, sporadic cough but in addition I've noticed that I'm more sensitive to changes in temperature but I have no fever and had some light headedness a couple of days ago but that's gone now.

I'm waiting on my test results but I'm expecting a positive because my whole family is confirmed positive. Nobody so far from my family has reported any bad symptoms thankfully. In fact I'd say the only reason that I even got tested is because my mum is uber paranoid about the thing and on Dec 28th got a test. Returned positive on the 29th and immediately the rest of my family got tested. All returned positive but not a single one of us had any symptoms. Even now only one of 5 had minor cold symptoms until yesterday when she lost her taste/smell. I live separately but was a close contact and the light headedness started on the 29th for me.

If my mum hadn't been so paranoid we'd all have been carrying on as normal probably until yesterday when my family member lost her sense of taste and smell. So I'd suggest that if anyone is in any way unwell, not just with the HSE listed symptoms, to isolate as a precaution and try to get a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woofwoof123

I have similar symptoms as you. Rang my doctor on the 31st, told me I didn't need a test as I hadn't any of the "main" symptoms of covid19. They advised me to restrict my movements just incase (which I have been doing). Still not feeling great, have to ring back again Monday to see if i will be sent for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Masala wrote: »
    Anyone lose their sense of taste???? Mine and the wife seem to have lost ours overnight. What the timeframe on that returning?..

Both myself and my wife have now lost sense of taste and smell - Day 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Unknownability

For anyone who has tested positive and for those with a watch with hear rate monitor, did you notice an elevated heart rate while infected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Yes with a fever my resting heart rate increased for a day. I have the garmin watch with continuous HR monitoring.

Yes with a fever my resting heart rate increased for a day. I have the garmin watch with continuous HR monitoring.

Was it much of a spike?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

It went from about 50-55 to 73. A visible blip on the chart.

It went from about 50-55 to 73. A visible blip on the chart.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that, will have to go without alcohol as that always seems to cause a blip in mine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that, will have to go without alcohol as that always seems to cause a blip in mine :D

Yeah mine has gone up in last week also but definitely alcohol-related rather than covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

both my daughter and my niece had Covid in the last 3 months, both lost their sense of taste and smell and it was very slow to return, really only in the last week or so - it will come back but it takes a long time.

Day 6. Still have taste but smell gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I seriously dont understand how people dont know what to do at this stage if they have covid.

Its all.over media... hse website..... ads everywhere

You self isolate for 10 days and all your close contacts for 14 days.

Seriously how are people still asking what should i do 10 months in

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Wesser wrote: »
    I seriously dont understand how people dont know what to do at this stage if they have covid.

Its all.over media... hse website..... ads everywhere

You self isolate for 10 days and all your close contacts for 14 days.

Seriously how are people still asking what should i do 10 months in

because people generally dont care about info that doesnt effect them until they need it. everyone knows all about preventing it and all that side of it but not the details of having it because it isnt that common until lately and most people dont know people with it that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Sorry if this has been answered but... where are all these people who are confined to their room showering and going to the toilet?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been answered but... where are all these people who are confined to their room showering and going to the toilet?

Ideally they have an ensuite

If not then they need to clean the bathroom with bleach after using it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stheno wrote: »

Anything on ventilation? Shouldn't windows be kept open as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Stheno wrote: »

You were over on the other thread saying there's very little risk of fomite transmission, why would they need to clean the bathroom with bleach if not to decontaminate surfaces they've come into contact with?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You were over on the other thread saying there's very little risk of fomite transmission, why would they need to clean the bathroom with bleach if not to decontaminate surfaces they've come into contact with?

That was the advice from the outset it hasn't been updated despite the lack of evidence of fomite transmission and spread in households

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

cloudatlas wrote: »

My husband had it and we only have the one full bathroom so I used it first in the morning and afterwards he showered, and the bleached it down and kept windows open. Me and the kids didn’t get it

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

I am on day 11 now, and feeling pretty back to normal. I really panicked when I read the txt from HSE confirming a positive result as I am 54, and asthmatic. I"m a teacher, so I could have picked it up in school, as far back as 11th December, but was so careful elsewhere, as I have three vulnerable others at home. They have all tested negative, and went into immediate isolation.

If you get a positive result, stay calm, sleep as much as possible, and drink lots of tea and water. Just go with the flow of the virus. Eat if you feel like it, don't eat if you don't want to. Listen to your body. My next question is: For how long will I have protective antibodies, and I am now protected against other emerging strains such as the South African one?

I am on day 11 now, and feeling pretty back to normal. I really panicked when I read the txt from HSE confirming a positive result as I am 54, and asthmatic. I"m a teacher, so I could have picked it up in school, as far back as 11th December, but was so careful elsewhere, as I have three vulnerable others at home. They have all tested negative, and went into immediate isolation.

If you get a positive result, stay calm, sleep as much as possible, and drink lots of tea and water. Just go with the flow of the virus. Eat if you feel like it, don't eat if you don't want to. Listen to your body. My next question is: For how long will I have protective antibodies, and I am now protected against other emerging strains such as the South African one?

The antibody question isn't 100% known, but anecdotal evidence is you will have immunity for at least 6 months (and be immune to the known strains).

Note: there are reports of folks getting it twice, but those numbers are statistically less than getting chicken pox twice - but it also doesn't take into account anyone who got an asymptomatic case (with no test as they didn't know) followed by a known positive test. Either way 1 of the two cases will be milder!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Tomorrow is my last day of self isolation after my positive test result. Still feeling very tired and physically a bit weak today also but other than that all is good. Tbh they are pretty much the only symptoms I had at all beside some headaches around Christmas day.
    Certainly I'm looking forward to getting out for a walk. Don't quite feel ready to head back to work though.
    How have people been feeling in the days/ weeks after isolation? Are you getting back to normal pretty quickly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Skuxx wrote: »
    Tomorrow is my last day of self isolation after my positive test result. Still feeling very tired and physically a bit weak today also but other than that all is good. Tbh they are pretty much the only symptoms I had at all beside some headaches around Christmas day.
    Certainly I'm looking forward to getting out for a walk. Don't quite feel ready to head back to work though.
    How have people been feeling in the days/ weeks after isolation? Are you getting back to normal pretty quickly?

You should be taking it easy. From what I know if you get back to things too quickly, it might set you back. Listen to your body. If you're still tired and weak, take it easy, don't be rushing back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭HeyV

I haven’t been tested positive, but I just have a question if anyone had feelings like this...
    Back in early October one weekend I developed the most stabbing headaches in my temples. Sometimes it might be the left, sometimes the right. Would only last about 2-3 seconds at a time. Might be 5 minutes apart or anything up to an hour, but they were so bad they made me actually wince in discomfort or woke me up during the night repeatedly. This went on for about 5/6 days.
    My skin at the time felt slightly sunburnt in places, if that makes sense. I’d be roasting in bed but the minute I got up to go to the bathroom, I’d be shivering. My temp was 38.8 on the worst night.
    I suspect I had it but I don’t know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,918 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Question. If you get a positive test, is it just assumed that you're OK after 2 weeks or are you retested to make sure?

Advertisement