Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jon Huber (aka Brodie Lee, Luke Harper) RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I will be tuning in for the begining of Raw just to see the tribute.

Was just the graphic of Rip (Jon Huber 'Luke Harper')

Suppose its a tough enough position for WWE as he's part of a different company and maybe a tribute show would be too much. No doubt many in the WWE locker room are grieving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was just the graphic of Rip (Jon Huber 'Luke Harper')

Suppose its a tough enough position for WWE as he's part of a different company and maybe a tribute show would be too much. No doubt many in the WWE locker room are grieving

Nah, that's kind of ****ty. They should have had some kind of video package or something, they wouldn't have had to use the name Brodie Lee or acknowledge AEW at all.

AEW gave Hana Kimura and Shad Gaspard similar pre-show graphics when they died earlier this year despite having no association with the company at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The tributes really speak for themselves, he seemed like a great guy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Did they even mention it on commentary?
    Drew using the "You know what that means" line and Woods with the black armband seemed to be the only acknowledgement apart from the card at the start.

I know others have passed who just got cards while others have videos. But usually it's those who have had a huge impact that get videos, though they're usually guys who've died later in life. With Luke Harper, he's a recent wrestler who still has friends there.

Even if they had a package or minute's silence for Harper at the beginning, it would've been a nice gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Nah, that's kind of ****ty. They should have had some kind of video package or something, they wouldn't have had to use the name Brodie Lee or acknowledge AEW at all.

AEW gave Hana Kimura and Shad Gaspard similar pre-show graphics when they died earlier this year despite having no association with the company at all.

I just knew some on here would use this to AEW/WWE point-score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

CastorTroy wrote: »

Literally the first line of the show from Tom Phillips was “It’s Monday, you know what that means”. That’s a workplace colleague giving a shout out. Alexa Bliss dropped a YeahYeahYeah in her segment and T-Bar did some Brodie mannerisms on the way to the ring. This is without mentioning reigning WWE champion Drew McIntyre doing his own bit

If you want a heartfelt tribute, look no further than Xavier Woods on Raw Talk. Calls him Brodie Lee, Luke Harper and Jon Huber. Nearly loses it. R-Truth gives him the best Dad hug ever and then I nearly lost it.

WWE have it on their official Youtube now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Drew using the "You know what that means" line and Woods with the black armband seemed to be the only acknowledgement apart from the card at the start.

I know others have passed who just got cards while others have videos. But usually it's those who have had a huge impact that get videos, though they're usually guys who've died later in life. With Luke Harper, he's a recent wrestler who still has friends there.

Even if they had a package or minute's silence for Harper at the beginning, it would've been a nice gesture.

A minute silence was what I was expecting. Woods on Raw Talk was weird as well because it felt as if he was talking off the cuff between R Truths awkward hug and Charli saying let's end the show there.

They could of handled it better, even sending Woods out during the broadcast to say something on behalf of the roster would of felt fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If they did any more than that, you can rest assured that people would be crapping on them. “Let AEW do the tribute, why are WWE pretending to care”. They handled it fine. The talent said their piece in their own way. Everyone has unanimously praised him on their own social media, from Vince himself to all of Brodie’s friends and on-screen rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

WWE could have done a 10 bell salute at the start of the show or after the place card was shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

They gave him the insert, let anyone who wanted to pay tribute in their own way, and nearly every segment had a nod to him, I think that's pretty decent.

Also, as I saw somebody mention on twitter, it's the Monday after Xmas and a relatively unexpected death, they would have had the pat patterson video ready to go, same with hogan and flair when their time comes, so I wouldn't be surprised if something shows up. Hopefully they're ponying up for "god's gonna cut you down"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They apparently are doing a video package but on smackdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

• Registered Users Posts: 53,964 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I think this thread could get to 10,000 replies with all the love Brodie is getting, I don't think I've ever seen anything like this

https://twitter.com/UpUpDwnDwn/status/1343683967799734283

What an infectious personality

Edit

https://wrestlingnews.co/aew-news/brodie-lees-8-year-old-son-signed-an-aew-contract-will-be-part-of-the-roster-when-he-gets-older/

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

I see Woods has tweeted about the AEW Brodie Lee tribute show tonight. Interesting to see how WWE feel about one of their stars promoting a rival’s show which is in direct competition with one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Officer999 wrote: »
    I see Woods has tweeted about the AEW Brodie Lee tribute show tonight. Interesting to see how WWE feel about one of their stars promoting a rival’s show which is in direct competition with one of their own.

There's not really a whole lot WWE can do, especially when their entire roster is grieving, if they even said or attempted anything, they'd run the risk, of losing the dressing room so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I think ye think WWE are far more sinister than they actually are.

They deserve plenty of shít for a lot but do you think they're gonna be pulling wrestlers aside and telling them how to grieve while towing the company line?

Their statement mentioned him as Brodie Lee. Woods wore a "Brodie" armband, spoke about him on WWE programming. They don't care about that stuff in these situations despite what those cóckwarts, Meltzer and Alvarez, claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Woods is by far one of the best placed to say stuff on behalf of the roster. He's already navigated muddy waters with Vince over social media so he can say the stuff others might be put in the dog house for.

He's a leader for the locker room now even more so than Reigns and Styles, because he's the one that seems to speak on behalf of an entire roster when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,417 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

“Heartbroken and numb. Just when I think my eyes have dried, I think of you and begin to cry again. I have lost not only a friend but a brother! I struggled last night with many emotions and memories. Jon meant more to me than he will ever know. I remember clearly all the loops we had during our years on the road together. He would always look forward to getting home to his family. After every loop he would say to me, “Goodbye Forever”, because he would want his 1 or two days with them, to feel like forever. One thing he taught me through his own actions was to be a better father and husband. He was one of a kind in everything he did, great performer, great father, great husband, great friend, and all around amazing human. My heart goes out to everyone who was touched by his greatness. My deepest condolences to his family. Jon this is not, “Goodbye forever, but goodbye for now! I will see you on the otherside my brother. I LOVE YOU!”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJT2nzwjUAP/

• Advertisement

Tears are starting already for me

There had to be one cnut who tried to start a chant didn't there......

Dark order nearly in tears

Damn this is going to be emotional night

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.facebook.com/2267811083534658/posts/2801686696813758/

Heartbreaking seeing his Kids and Wife there

AEW Shop seem to be crashing due to Brodie's new shirt which is really well done

If they tease the discus lariat all night and have that ****ing little biiiiitch child john silver win with it in the main event, I am going to smilecry so hard.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Love archers gear tribute

Headshot wrote: »
    AEW Shop seem to be crashing due to Brodie's new shirt which is really well done

https://www.shopaew.com/brodie-lee-exalted.html
    sky88 wrote: »

Such a classy tribute

sky88 wrote: »

I lost my **** for the Tim donst throwback

https://youtu.be/DEKdT12ORO0

• Advertisement

That was some match, superb stuff