Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutters on the bus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I usually enjoy it when older people chat to me on public transport. I've heard the most incredibly personal life stories on buses and trains from some amazing people. You might learn something, OP.

They have books for that. Which I can choose to read or not, unlike being accosted by some old biddy on the bus where my choice is between a) ignoring her and being rude or b) forcing myself to trot out banalities until my stop arrives.

Just to clarify by the way, I'm not sexist. There's plenty of oul fellas who indulge in this carry on as well.

Oh, and another thing: I'm 56, so I'm not far off being a coffin dodger myself. Thankfully I'm not deluded enough to think that everyone on the bus wants to hear my opinion on the burning issues of the day. Or what I had for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everlong1 wrote: »
    They have books for that. Which I can choose to read or not, unlike being accosted by some old biddy on the bus where my choice is between a) ignoring her and being rude or b) forcing myself to trot out banalities until my stop arrives.

Just to clarify by the way, I'm not sexist. There's plenty of oul fellas who indulge in this carry on as well.

Oh, and another thing: I'm 56, so I'm not far off being a coffin dodger myself. Thankfully I'm not deluded enough to think that everyone on the bus wants to hear my opinion on the burning issues of the day. Or what I had for breakfast.

When you're explaining you're losing.

When you're explaining you're losing.

Oh I'm not trying to win converts here. Just want to make myself clear and not have everyone assume I'm some young arrogant teenager with no respect for the poor oldies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

My conversations are never banal. Maybe you are just are boring boll1x with nothing interesting to say for himself and devoid of the skill and charm required to coax interesting stories from people who have lived decades longer than you and must have at least one interesting tale to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

my Xmas shopping

People who write Xmas instead of Christmas = c*nts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yeah I definitely should become another idiot who's happy to spend 5 hours a day stuck in traffic and who's so wedded to their car that the thought of a 10 minute walk to the shops sends them into a panic.

So you could not pass your test?

Oh, and another thing: I'm 56, so I'm not far off being a coffin dodger myself.

Oh, now this explains it. These women are coming onto you, seeing as you are respectably within their age cohort, in the manner that was acceptable in their day, they're not moaning, they are being damsels in distress. Sure you must be gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There’s an old lady living alone near me. She’s 96 years old. Her son is in Australia and her daughter lives in Co. Down and calls to her every weekend.
    The woman is in good health. She loves to talk to people as she can be lonely and can’t really get out due to the Covid.
    Every day she waves to me from her front door and I go over to talk to her for 5/10 minutes. She says it makes her day.

What are we turning into if we can’t bear a lonely old citizen a few minutes of a chat. It doesn’t weaken you or take a lot from you ffs but it means a lot to them.
    Nice to be nice.

Who forced you to read it ?

had to double check but I knew without even reading your name in the OP you were the author of it.

Your post is an arsehole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

One of the silver linings of the Covid crisis for me is the restrictions on public transport. It's great to get on a bus and have the seat to yourself

Do you normally sit on someone's knee?

• Advertisement

had to double check but I knew without even reading your name in the OP you were the author of it.

Your post is an arsehole.

Considering how rarely I post you must REALLY like my work if you can recognise my style. The second line there doesn't even make sense. Or is that you want to call me an arsehole but are too chicken to say it directly in case you get banned for being abusive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ranting and raving forum is that way --->>>

She must av got dee drink sumwhere.Or the GP is mixing sumting for her

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What's the worst anyone has ever had on the bus???.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

Ranting and raving forum is that way --->>>

She must av got dee drink sumwhere.Or the GP is mixing sumting for her.Or she wanted a chat

Considering how rarely I post you must REALLY like my work if you can recognise my style. The second line there doesn't even make sense. Or is that you want to call me an arsehole but are too chicken to say it directly in case you get banned for being abusive?

Not too chicken, too smart.

Not too chicken, too smart.

And yet not smart enough to recognise when someone posts something clearly not intended to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I don’t drive so I’m always using public transport. I don’t mind older people talking me and I’ll always talk to them if they talk to me. I generally try to avoid conversations with others, more so because I’m happy in my own company. I’ll have my earphones in or I’ll be reading my kindle. If they talk to me I’ll try and suss them out quickly to see if they’re a bit mad. If it’s normal conversation I don’t mind chatting for a while. I had a great chat with a Swiss girl one time on a 10 hour flight from the west coast of Canada. We got on great and had loads to talk about so didn't notice the time go at all. Had a very interesting chat with a fella last year as well on an inter county bus journey. The guy, about my own age, had led an interesting life. More interesting than mine anyway. They are 2 that stick out in my mind.

I have encountered more nutters on planes than buses. One of weirdest ones was a fella on an Aer Lingus flight to London. He was connecting on to Bangkok, went very regularly from the sounds of things. Told me what he would be getting up to out there. Very odd guy.

Another guy on a flight from Seattle to Anchorage saw my Irish passport in my hand while boarding the flight. Told me he ran with Eamon Coughlan at Villanova university before I even sat down and invited me to stay with him at his house in Anchorage over the course of the conversation. Got very creepy vibes off the guy and was only giving one word answers to his questions to try and kill the conversation. The flight landed at 2 am local time and I bolted off the plane, didn’t even say goodbye to guy. There were no taxis outside the terminal building so I just stood outside waiting trying to figure out my next move, smartphones weren’t as common as they are these days at the time. A car pulled up in front of me outside the terminal building. It was your man again trying to get me to go back to his. I just walked back into the terminal building. Managed to find a pay phone and called a taxi to take me to my hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

biko wrote: »
    It's a tricky thing having someone talking to you when you don't want it.
    If they are old I usually will chat to them.
    For you it can be 15/20 mins of discomfort, for them it could be 15/20 mins of the only human interaction they have all day.

Exactly. Err on the side of human compassion. Give them a small slice of your day, many of them are heading back to cold and empty flats or houses where they have nothing but the tv for company, and their spouse could be dead or their grown up kids too busy to visit them.
    I must be getting old as I used to dread the oddballs on buses but really, they are human beings like you and I trying to make their way in the world. We will all get old, time spares nobody.

And to clarify, obviously the nutters who cause trouble on public transport are to be abhorred and should be thrown off straight away.

And yet not smart enough to recognise when someone posts something clearly not intended to be taken seriously.

Oh yes of course yes. Never heard that one before anyway.

Classic cycle of:

Make bad post

Receive backlash

Pull out the “guys it was a joke lol” card.

Gway out of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

So you don't like people who want to have a moan, or whatever so you've come online to have a moan

Nobody cares

• Advertisement

Oh yes of course yes. Never heard that one before anyway.

Classic cycle of:

Make bad post

Receive backlash

Pull out the “guys it was a joke lol” card.

Gway out of that.

Oh God you've seen right through me. Yes I admit it, I'm totally gutted by the criticism my post generated from the crack Boards SJW squad. I'll NEVER post anything on social media again EVER.

Going off now to flog myself and say a decade of the Rosary. Happy Xmas everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Daragh1980

Going off now to flog myself and say a decade of the Rosary. Happy Xmas everyone.

CHRISTMAS NOT XMAS

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    CHRISTMAS NOT XMAS

He should make it two decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,751 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Oh God you've seen right through me. Yes I admit it, I'm totally gutted by the criticism my post generated from the crack Boards SJW squad. I'll NEVER post anything on social media again EVER.

And your work here is done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Anyone who sits beside someone on a bus or train whilst there's open seats available is a nutjob. Usually put my bag up on the seat until the bus gets busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    CHRISTMAS NOT XMAS

The X is for Χριστός (Chrīstos)

Ever see that P x thing on candles ?

Anyway it's stolen from the pagans etc , Yule & Saturnilia

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm confused and disappointed.... Really thought there would be more stories....

I have many but Yee probably wouldn't believe.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

One of the silver linings of the Covid crisis for me is the restrictions on public transport. It's great to get on a bus and have the seat to yourself and know that some random mentaller isn't going to sit down beside you and start trying to talk to you. This I think is an affliction particular to Ireland where pensioners in particular can't seem to resist the compulsion to talk to total strangers. I find it hard enough to talk to people I've known my whole life, never mind some coffin dodger who's plonked their musty old a*se down beside me on the bus and decided I'm the person who gets to hear their life story today.

I'm just back from doing the last of my Xmas shopping in town. There was some daft old bat in the seat behind me the entire journey moaning and complaining the entire way. She was obviously hoping someone would take her seriously and start joining her in talking sh*te the whole way home. And before yiz all giving out to me about the poor old lonely dear who probably has no one at home etc., this old bat didn't sound particularly lonely or isolated. She was just a typical cranky opinionated haridan who thought her particular hobby horses were so important that she just HAD to tell the first unfortunate person she saw. Thankfully, with seats being restricted to one occupant only she just had to be content with raving away to herself.

Ah the joys of Dublin Bus travel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I usually enjoy it when older people chat to me on public transport. I've heard the most incredibly personal life stories on buses and trains from some amazing people. You might learn something, OP.

I'm firmly in this camp as well. And people doing funny things too.

I remember waiting on O'Connell Street for a bus and an elderly lady with a cane asking me which bus I was getting on, when I told her which one she said "that's my bus as well, will you help me get on, I'm very bad on me feet." When we got on the bus she waved her bus pass and put on a posh voice and announced that I was her nephew and her travel companion but I did not have my pass with me, so the driver let me on for free. We chatted for the journey and she told me a few stories about her life, very interesting lady. Her stop was before mine - when I helped her off the bus she turned around and thanked the driver and told him "my nephew must stay on the bus as he must keep an appointment elsewhere, thank you very much". Pure character, everyone knew she was play-acting but she knew no one would argue with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a short bus journey, not an eight hour flight. Pre-covid I'd always entertain an oulfella or oulwan chatting to me. You might learn something new. You'd have to be a right proper, full on dose to blank them.

Buy a nice merc, hire a driver & a taxi plate and don't pick up fairs.

Advertisement