Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord unhappy with blinds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

1874 wrote: »
    It seems a very unusual thing for a landlord to have say to a tenant,not to run angle grinders or an air compressor, If you weren't, why would they say it?

How could OP have a chance to run an angle grinder if the landlord told them they couldn't as they moved in.

You dont seem to understand the difference between whats reasonable and whats not, heard of it a few times on boards and saw it a few times myself,people running informal businesses from domestic addresses,in cases I saw, they were rented properties, and neighbours, owners or renting have a reasonable right to some peace and consideration, saying as you do about mowing a lawn, makes you seem immature and inconsiderate, because you dont knkw where to draw a line or because you do but wouldnt care.

The OP isn’t running a business though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

beauf wrote: »
    That's your opinion. Lots of people have hobbies or enjoy DIY that require similar tools.

Hobbies dont outweigh other peoples legal rights, air compressors make a lot of noise and a reasonable person would look for an alternative.
    Its been a long time since I signed the contract of ownership for.my property, but I recal even in that, it was mentioned regarding domestic property,not running a business or even putting signs up, let alone running power tools.

Would you care to enlighten me, as a person interested in cars, motorbikes, what hobbies does a person need an air compressor, angle grinder, and air tools? on a regular basis,that all said,if its in the contract of rental, Im sure the landlord could insist, because its likely they are obliged to comply and having signed an agreement would have committed to that. As does a tenant have rights, they also have responsibilities. Even if its not in an agreement, its reasonable to have consideration. The OP could just as easily wash 2 cars out of a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

listermint wrote: »
    I think your missing the point.

Pulling blinds down on a scenics isolated island..... With nothing but beautiful views....

I thought exactly the same as you listermint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Hobbies dont outweigh other peoples legal rights, air compressors make a lot of noise and a reasonable person would look for an alternative.
    Its been a long time since I signed the contract of ownership for.my property, but I recal even in that, it was mentioned regarding domestic property,not running a business or even putting signs up, let alone running power tools.

Would you care to enlighten me, as a person interested in cars, motorbikes, what hobbies does a person need an air compressor, angle grinder, and air tools? on a regular basis,that all said,if its in the contract of rental, Im sure the landlord could insist, because its likely they are obliged to comply and having signed an agreement would have committed to that. As does a tenant have rights, they also have responsibilities. Even if its not in an agreement, its reasonable to have consideration. The OP could just as easily wash 2 cars out of a bucket.

You are making out like he's outside 8 hours a day dismantling engines and machinery.

I have all of the above tools and more, apart from a compressor. I use them outside a handful of times a year. What's the issue? My neighbours also do some DIY from time to time. We don't go out whinging at them either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Once again im not running a business.

Its not a petrol powerwasher either, i wash my car two to three times a month.

Ive never complained to landlord about noisey holiday makers, partys, couples fighting all night, children crying, tradesmen coming at 5:50 am

But i cant use a powerwasher for 15 minutes

OP how often would you be using the power tools. If you are only using them now and again then the landlord is being unreasonable. If you are using them a few times a week then I agree with the landlord.

Deeec wrote: »
    OP how often would you be using the power tools. If you are only using them now and again then the landlord is being unreasonable. If you are using them a few times a week then I agree with the landlord.

I wouldnt use them monthly apart from the powerwasher that would be twice to 3 times a month and not for 8 hours a day

Beltby wrote: »
    You are making out like he's outside 8 hours a day dismantling engines and machinery.

I have all of the above tools and more, apart from a compressor. I use them outside a handful of times a year. What's the issue? My neighbours also do some DIY from time to time. We don't go out whinging at them either.

I also have all the tools and more, occasionally do diy and work on my cars, nothing I cant do with handtools, and although I considered an air compressor, ruled it out for nouse and because on that small scale, its not absolutely necessary.
    As you say, occasional, the OP seems to have some minor dissagreement with their landlord, but they also got a verbal according to the OP regarding the use of air compressor and air tools and angle grinders, I think it would be very unusual for a landlord to warn not to use those kinds of tools unless the OP already had or suggested they would, and that ot was going to be something other than a handful, that the OP themself brought it up, makes it seem they arent giving the full story,no one, landlord or otherwise does not specifically say anything about tools you wouldnt expect in a domestic situation, unless it came up somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the point is that the op is entitled to use whatever tools to do domestic work during normal hours for such activities when ever they chose to do so.
    there is nothing wrong with using a powerwasher, grinder, compresser etc what so ever.
    if the op decides to buy a tablesaw and make a set of bookshelves they are perfectly right to do so. its their home and are entitled to peaceful enjoyment of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I presume even islands can get stuff delivered these days...

Exactly so.... Thank you.

Then there was the neighbour's donkey got loose. A face at the window!!! :eek: Film is a sheer miracle in deep rural or island areas...

. And birds fly at their reflections and die. Film prevents that. Very thankful for film. Picking up a dead robin... Tragic. So many lovely birds out here.

To get back to the OP....Although the OPs landlord might not "like" it :rolleyes: Although the plainer stuff would not be noticed unless she was close up and intent on seeing in ….;)

I wouldnt use them monthly apart from the powerwasher that would be twice to 3 times a month and not for 8 hours a day

In that case I think your landlord is being unreasonable. I would see a tenant using a power washer as a good thing. You obviously like to keeps things clean which is a positive. I would raise this issue with your landlord and explain how little you actually use the tools.

ok, so more or less, youre using a powerwasher once a week? almost, is that essential? I dont think so, for 2 cars.
    Now, what are you using an air compressor for, because now it seems the landlord has said something because you are using an air compressor and an angle grinder.

ok, so more or less, youre using a powerwasher once a week? almost, is that essential? I dont think so, for 2 cars.
    Now, what are you using an air compressor for, because now it seems the landlord has said something because you are using an air compressor and an angle grinder.

So i cant use an electric power washer to wash my filthy car once a week for less than 15 minutes of actual running time?

Many things i used it lately to blow dust out of my playstation, a 50l air compressor takes 5-7 minutes to fill and im not using it much one fill could last a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

someone who is into keeping their car clean would consider once a week the bare minium that they would wash it. either way its the ops choice.

maybe the op has a tornador for cleaning the opolstery and mats in their car. they use air . an air blower off a compresser is great for drying rubber mats or around lights etc where water will runn out of and leave streaks.

So i cant use an electric power washer to wash my filthy car once a week for less than 15 minutes of actual running time?

Many things i used it lately to blow dust out of my playstation, a 50l air compressor takes 5-7 minutes to fill and im not using it much one fill could last a month

That is laughable, completely overkill and not in the least bit necessary, either you arent telling the full story, or you are being completely unreasonable, do you use an angle grinder on your playstation too?
    Regardless of what anyone says, it makes sense for a tenant to get on with their neighbours, regardless uf they have complained doesnt mean they are happy about it, it also makes sense to pick your battles and not butt heads with your landlord, unless a person is just looking to pick a fight and get one over all the time. The landlord and tenant have responsibilites and even if neither are concerned, a third party can make a complaint. I was never bothered by people using power washers even by one of the guys running a car sales business from a rental, if he started using an air compressor would have been a different story.
    Thats a good one though, your playstation,

That is laughable, completely overkill and not in the least bit necessary, either you arent telling the full story, or you are being completely unreasonable, do you use an angle grinder on your playstation too?
    Regardless of what anyone says, it makes sense for a tenant to get on with their neighbours, regardless uf they have complained doesnt mean they are happy about it, it also makes sense to pick your battles and not butt heads with your landlord, unless a person is just looking to pick a fight and get one over all the time. The landlord and tenant have responsibilites and even if neither are concerned, a third party can make a complaint. I was never bothered by people using power washers even by one of the guys running a car sales business from a rental, if he started using an air compressor would have been a different story.

I hope to God you don’t rent to anyone. You’re also completely wrong and none of your “ideals” actually hold up in what’s reasonably allowed, so no matter what hang ups you have, they’re irrelevant.

I hope to God you don’t rent to anyone. You’re also completely wrong and none of your “ideals” actually hold up in what’s reasonably allowed, so no matter what hang ups you have, they’re irrelevant.

you havent actually come up with any reasonable arguments as to why you think Im wrong. There are a few posters in this thread, supporting the Op and the general attitude is, you rent, your home, you can do what you want, which if they had an ounce of consideration, would realise, that approach does not make sense, bit of consideration goes a long way, being stubborn about requests instead of even meeting someone halfway, even if you dont agree with them, can make sense, maybe that person just cant see something from someone elses perspective, and in the long run, butting heads with your landlord isnt the best idea imo, dont think were getting the full story here, sounds like the Op has other issues with their landlord.

You asked what i use it for i gave you the latest example it already had air in it from when i pumped a tyre in November!! Compressed air is used to clean electronics google it or watch it on you tube. You seem to thing an air compressor only has one fundamental use and thats in a business setting.

The last time i used an angle grinder was in the summer outside the back for about 60 seconds. I need to cut a rounded bolt off my car.

There has been no complaints i have one neighbour and as i stated he makes 100x the noise i do and he is closer to the other cottage than mine. No bad reviews on air bnb either if im so noisey?

You can hear the holiday makers in my house partying, arguing, children running up and down stairs at 2am, children crying all night, what sounded like a couple having a scrap. Ive never moaned at the landlord about it.

We also have had a builder come a 5:50am to do work.

I dont bother the landlord for anything other than problems with the house im not trying to get one over on them. The landlord has ignored 3 requests ive made about 3 separate issues but im the bad guy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

You dont seem to understand the difference between whats reasonable and whats not, heard of it a few times on boards and saw it a few times myself,people running informal businesses from domestic addresses,in cases I saw, they were rented properties, and neighbours, owners or renting have a reasonable right to some peace and consideration, saying as you do about mowing a lawn, makes you seem immature and inconsiderate, because you dont knkw where to draw a line or because you do but wouldnt care.

You're replying to a post that wasn't directed at you. The previous poster was referring to a post I previously made. And I must say i got a good chuckle out of it to be fair.

• Advertisement

Try and talk to your landlord over the phone or face to face to sort out the issues. Communicating by text doesn't sort anything out. It is possible the landlord did receive a complaint from an air bnb tenant. This could have led to them believing you are making noise constantly. Also you should complain if the holiday home tenants are causing issues for you.

Also since I've become a landlord I've discovered that everyone has different standards when it comes to maintaining a property. My first tenant was excellent and kept the house and gardens immaculate. My current tenant thought it was acceptable to hoover the house once a month and put waste food down the toilet ( yes the toilet) and block up the septic tank. When I sat down with them and explained this wasn't the norm they understood and upped the cleaning routine. Any issues we have had has always being discussed and compromises on both sides reached. Involving threshold and rtb only sours a relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Graces7 wrote: »
    Exactly so.... Thank you.

Then there was the neighbour's donkey got loose. A face at the window!!! :eek: Film is a sheer miracle in deep rural or island areas...

. And birds fly at their reflections and die. Film prevents that. Very thankful for film. Picking up a dead robin... Tragic. So many lovely birds out here.

To get back to the OP....Although the OPs landlord might not "like" it :rolleyes: Although the plainer stuff would not be noticed unless she was close up and intent on seeing in ….;)

Hmmm. Rubs chin.

Ummmm . Rubs chin again. And squints...

You're replying to a post that wasn't directed at you. The previous poster was referring to a post I previously made. And I must say i got a good chuckle out of it to be fair.

So? I was responding to their immature reply, they quoted you, doesnt mean I cant reply, that what youre saying? If that gives you a laugh, Im sure thats a good thing, everyone has their own sense of humour.

listermint wrote: »
    Hmmm. Rubs chin.

Ummmm . Rubs chin again. And squints...

I'm doing the same listermint. Blocking out lovely views of scenery, oceon and animals with a cheap horrible plastic is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭20/20

There is two cars in our household i own one of them! you are welcome to come visit and check if im running a business as i am not!

Dont forget the motor bikes that you were looking for suggestions in previous posts on how to repair.

Also you are fully aware the LL wife complained about the noise you made all day when she was cleaning out the Air B&B. So no mystery about one of the complainers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I bought my site compressor to use an airbrush. Ironically first thing I drew with it was a hand drill. Since then use it for all sorts of things. Last time was pump all the kids toys in the garden. Angle grinder last used it to dismantle a swing set to bring recycling center. I'm next going to it use to repair the door on the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

So? I was responding to their immature reply, they quoted you, doesnt mean I cant reply, that what youre saying? If that gives you a laugh, Im sure thats a good thing, everyone has their own sense of humour.

No, That's not what I was saying at all. You just seemed to take issue with a comment which to me was clearly in jest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

you havent actually come up with any reasonable arguments as to why you think Im wrong. There are a few posters in this thread, supporting the Op and the general attitude is, you rent, your home, you can do what you want, which if they had an ounce of consideration, would realise, that approach does not make sense, bit of consideration goes a long way, being stubborn about requests instead of even meeting someone halfway, even if you dont agree with them, can make sense, maybe that person just cant see something from someone elses perspective, and in the long run, butting heads with your landlord isnt the best idea imo, dont think were getting the full story here, sounds like the Op has other issues with their landlord.

You can't seem distinguish between reasonable and unreasonable.

One issue is the LL behaviour is against the rules. If the the tenant is also breaking the rules thats a different issue. One doesn't make the other right.

20/20 wrote: »
    Dont forget the motor bikes that you were looking for suggestions in previous posts on how to repair.

Also you are fully aware the LL wife complained about the noise you made all day when she was cleaning out the Air B&B. So no mystery about one of the complainers.

The MINI motorbikes are non runners. They are toys to keep me occupied if thats a business i give up.

Mother of pearl you can go through my previous threads well done, as for all day 3 hours is a full day id like for you to go to work and tell your boss after 3 hours you were there all day see how that goes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

What is the landlord hiding ? - privacy is a right and hang an expensive object and be forced
    to leave clear view is criminal. move from one room to another is occupants business and not for
    open view.
    even with a garden place nets and close heavy curtains when dark.
    i dont want to see the monkies out there in the"zoo" and doubt if it is anyones business
    what is or is not in the room.
    Some flaunt with large windows and forget a random passer by does not wish to see by accident
    someone picking their nose.
    your landlord is a mental retard whom has nothing better to think of, even if its the excuse the
    property does not look nice with blinds closed - BUT thats Subjective.
    rent paid and no damage then then take a hike or open blinds and hang a pair of soiled underwear in window.
    amusing to see what the cretin comes out with lol

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement