Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord unhappy with blinds

Options
  • 24-12-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi boardsies,

I am writing today as I received a txt from my landlord last night who was aggrieved at the fact that the blinds at the front of the house arent being opened. Now the blinds at the front are like this bendroom, front door entrance hallway, kitchen/sitting room. This side of the house faces the road and is appox 2/3 meters from said road.

The blind in the bedroom is always closed fair enough but the one at opposite end that is open but no one can see in.

The blind in the front hall is usually open during the day we have a Christmas tree decoration on the window there.

The sitting room kitchen blind to the front is usually only open 1/3 to 1/2 during the day as anyone passing could see in the dinner table is there at the window

So basically been told they all have to be open from now on, her reason is because the cottage is attached to her air bnb and wants it too look good for people arriving next door to stay. There is a wall between the two cottages dividing them so o dont know. I find it very strange and a first and ive been a renter of many places in the last 12 years.

There has been other issuses here with landlord one was not allowed make noise outside at any point or duration during the day or use power tools as holiday makers not paying for noise?.

have been made move our bins.

Have never received notice bar once we got a hour notice of plumber arriving. On that note twice while doing up the driveway and also moving entrance to property and raising wall on roadside never told to move cars out of driveway not even a knock on the door to say do you want to move car now or basically stuck there til 5 or next day depending.

Have had a plasterer turn up a 6.00 am and start working in the dark with a lamp.

The landlord had also made a comment over plumber said "oh you were sick when he called and he didn't want to carry out all his work" it was during the start/middle of pandemic i had a chest infection i informed the man when i let him in and kept my distance i didn't exactly want him thinking i had covid if he heard me coughing and wheezing.

Final one lately was on one of the days when builders showed up and my car was stuck in for the day the house mate said to landlord a bit of notice would have been nice as the car is stuck in the driveway now again. What was said was " isnt it great were doing all this work for ye and it's costing you nothing"

It is renting the property we are the only thing that was asked for was the shower to be repaired it was faulty twice (both second hand) new one has been fitted now.

Washing machine is faulty (still is) has been looked at but no repair attempted.

Ive noticed ive gone off on a bit of a rant now there is more i could put in here thats gone on the last year funny that only renting this property a year last property 6 years and not one poor interaction with previous landlord.

Anyway is the blinds thing a thing or should i just ignore it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Your landlord could perhaps do with an explanation of what "peaceful enjoyment" means in the context of a tenancy and how repeated breach of the same could constitute an actionable nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I would ignore the blinds request.
    He's your landlord, not your mammy.

He seems to want all the positives from renting his property but none of the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I would say to open your blinds though. Light is a powerful thing as is being able to see outside.

It's amazing what closing blinds and curtains consistently can do to the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi boardsies,

I am writing today as I received a txt from my landlord last night...

I've previously had landlords that wanted the house kept as they would keep it i.e. windows continuously opened for ventilation, bins kept out the back instead of at the front, no shoes upstairs (carpets). From my perspective, I would speculate that the landlord may feel the house is more aesthetically pleasing if the blinds are open. Who gives a f*ck, right? Well, they may care about such things.

Personally, I don't live in rented accommodation and one of the reason why is that type of stuff. I had a landlord who called by at 21:30 on a Friday night to hoover the place (nice person, just had to maintain the house the way she wanted it). I've also had landlords that I've never even met despite living at the address for two years (which was great!).

Only you know your relationship with your landlord so it's impossible to say how big a deal the blinds being open/closed are for you or for them. I've lived on a house with a similar set up i.e. bedroom on ground floor facing a footpath so I understand why the blind(s) would be closed.

What exactly did the text say?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Iguarantee wrote: »
    I've previously had landlords that wanted the house kept as they would keep it i.e. windows continuously opened for ventilation, bins kept out the back instead of at the front, no shoes upstairs (carpets). From my perspective, I would speculate that the landlord may feel the house is more aesthetically pleasing if the blinds are open. Who gives a f*ck, right? Well, they may care about such things.

Personally, I don't live in rented accommodation and one of the reason why is that type of stuff. I had a landlord who called by at 21:30 on a Friday night to hoover the place (nice person, just had to maintain the house the way she wanted it). I've also had landlords that I've never even met despite living at the address for two years (which was great!).

Only you know your relationship with your landlord so it's impossible to say how big a deal the blinds being open/closed are for you or for them. I've lived on a house with a similar set up i.e. bedroom on ground floor facing a footpath so I understand why the blind(s) would be closed.

What exactly did the text say?

In fairness houses need to be vented and windows should be opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Treat the landlords request as a suggestion.

Problem solved. I get that it has not been all smooth sailing. But take a deep breath and examine the request for what it is.
    Dont bring all of the frustration you hold into the equation. Simply decide if it suits you to accede. Are there good reasons to leave blinds down, during the day? Will the increased light be beneficial?

Weigh it up, decide, communicate your decision. The plasterer and your cough have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I am writing today as I received a txt from my landlord last night who was aggrieved at the fact that the blinds at the front of the house arent being opened.

Text? LL (landlord) avoiding calling you, knows you'll sense hesitation in their voice. They're chancing their arm.

The blind in the front hall is usually open during the day we have a Christmas tree decoration on the window there.

Sounds like you've made house a home, like you'd be good neighbours, LL should be considering that.

So basically been told they all have to be open from now on, her reason is because the cottage is attached to her air bnb and wants it too look good for people arriving next door to stay.

Air B'nB? You could question legality of all this during pandemic. Points to a penny-pinching LL

There has been other issuses here with landlord one was not allowed make noise outside at any point or duration during the day or use power tools as holiday makers not paying for noise?.

You're entitled to peaceful enjoyment as above poster pointed out. See https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/landlords_rights_and_obligations.html#l78a59

I'd suggest to LL that they give you builders number and you arrange suitable time with contractors. You're obliged to let LL perform repairs, but I believe they're obliged to arrange it with prior warning. This is easily resolved when you tell the contractor what time to come. I'd issue with old LL about this, he was happier to let me talk to contractor as that meant he wasn't ringing LL asking were we out of bed. Night shift and day shift workers in our house.

" isnt it great were doing all this work for ye and it's costing you nothing"

:rolleyes:

Isn't it great you give them money every month to live there

Washing machine is faulty (still is) has been looked at but no repair attempted.

Ring LL, say you're getting machine fixed and they can pay or it'll come out of next month's rent, they're obliged to fix

Lot boils down to whether you're contracted and therefore protected. You're lucky not to have come across this in last few years renting. I've rented about 10 times in last 7 years due to college. I'd one LL like this. Use some tact and get them on the phone, don't be threatening but be firm. Most LL's are agreeable if they know you're smart. You've come for advice so you're doing well. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,678 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the blinds are closed all day, how do you open the window to air the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

It is absolutely none of a landlord's business how you run your home, once fixtures are not damaged. The request is ludicrous, for the reasons being given.
    When I rented, I worked out and away during the day and therefore blinds down, cameras facing out and that's how I live. Neighbours followed suit actually. Wanted to know about the Alfred security app as their house was cased also.
    The only murmur I received was from the landlord strangely, who wasn't used to not being able to sneak onsite, and possibly in also, when his hardworking and paying tenants were away.
    Thankfully this little pig got himself some cameras (old Android phones) which catalogued numerous threats to the house over the years and, in the final straight, up to 40 visits from the landlord and his family. Unannounced, harassing visits.
    You certainly need to discuss this with your landlord, awkward as it is, rather than purely text. Use text for 'As discussed,..' etc. But try and talk it out. Don't try and win every battle. Your landlord is clearly a have your cake and eat it gobsh1te. You shouldn't be having stress over their preferences. If they want the blinds up or down, perhaps they should pay the rent.
    Will they be telling their AirBnB guests what to do with the blinds?? Will they f*CK.

Blinds up when you want to. To enjoy the outside etc. Blinds down when you see fit. A man's gotta know his limitations. Your landlord is due a rattle.

Ps you said it was a cottage. Most likely it's airing itself all year round, windows closed or not. PPS I still left my blinds down if I opened a window for air or to draw a fire etc. Vents always open. But they can be closed too folks? You know? Like windows and blinds. Essentially, the landlord is domineering you. She needs to go back to her colouredy magazines and dreams of royalty and glitz and allow her peasants to live as free men. And her visiting serfs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Maybe there are vents in the windows.:rolleyes:
    Good lord people cant even close blinds now..
    Does the LL have a camera on the windows..they only think they are never open unless they are watching 24/7.

I would ignore them OP. Its a ridiculous request. If you like them mainly closed it has no bearing on renting an air bnb next door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Tell him to go fcuk himself, in the nicest possible way of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

He's a bit of a tight wad anyhow

Dodgy or non existent tradespersons

I'd be conducting all business by email and filing it as a precaution

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

There was a lot of replies but to clarify yes its a cottage, very old and extremely drafty / cold single pane windows front and rear doors windows are like sieves ect.

Anyway to clarify this is about blinds not windows, the bedroom as i said has a second window facing rear of property always open.

The blind in hall is open at least 3/4 of the way daily or Christmas tree is on the window sill and some lights.

The kitchen/sitting room has two blinds one facing road the other the side. The side blind is always open until evening the front facing one is open 1/3 to 1/2 daily. Closed in the evenings there is decorations/lights on this window aswell.

So i cant close the blind if i was wanting to watch tv in my sitting room during the day? Or if im in the bedroom? As i said the hall one is open,

if i were to guess i think the landlord wanted to see in the other day while we were away as they were around the property, this was evening time dark you would have them closed anyway approx 8pm. I know the land lord was there as mentioned in the message they moved stuff the builder left on the wall to keep water off i guess?

Now as for putting the txt message up on here I believe this may reveal my identity and if my landlord is on boards they will know straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi boardsies,

I am writing today as I received a txt from my landlord last night who was aggrieved at the fact that the blinds at the front of the house arent being opened. Now the blinds at the front are like this bendroom, front door entrance hallway, kitchen/sitting room. This side of the house faces the road and is appox 2/3 meters from said road.

The blind in the bedroom is always closed fair enough but the one at opposite end that is open but no one can see in.

The sitting room kitchen blind to the front is usually only open 1/3 to 1/2 during the day as anyone passing could see in the dinner table is there at the window

So basically been told they all have to be open from now on, her reason is because the cottage is attached to her air bnb and wants it too look good for people arriving next door to stay. There is a wall between the two cottages dividing them so o dont know. I find it very strange and a first and ive been a renter of many places in the last 12 years.

have been made move our bins.

Have never received notice bar once we got a hour notice of plumber arriving. On that note twice while doing up the driveway and also moving entrance to property and raising wall on roadside never told to move cars out of driveway not even a knock on the door to say do you want to move car now or basically stuck there til 5 or next day depending.

Have had a plasterer turn up a 6.00 am and start working in the dark with a lamp.

The landlord had also made a comment over plumber said "oh you were sick when he called and he didn't want to carry out all his work" it was during the start/middle of pandemic i had a chest infection i informed the man when i let him in and kept my distance i didn't exactly want him thinking i had covid if he heard me coughing and wheezing.

Final one lately was on one of the days when builders showed up and my car was stuck in for the day the house mate said to landlord a bit of notice would have been nice as the car is stuck in the driveway now again. What was said was " isnt it great were doing all this work for ye and it's costing you nothing"

It is renting the property we are the only thing that was asked for was the shower to be repaired it was faulty twice (both second hand) new one has been fitted now.

Ive noticed ive gone off on a bit of a rant now there is more i could put in here thats gone on the last year funny that only renting this property a year last property 6 years and not one poor interaction with previous landlord.

Thanks

I had to read this Twice, is your landlord on something, this is just an outrage not withstanding the fact its offensive. I'd be holding onto that Text, create a new one and politely (or not) telling them to F**K Right off. There's also a disturbingly creepy aspect to this, are they actually sitting outside, peeping in, it's just appalling and on Christmas Eve FFS

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I might aswell say this now the landlord has scant regard for boundaries anyway, they have come over to borrow our garden hose (without asking also not provided by them) returned it absolutely filthy covered in cement etc.

Twice landlord has acessed the rear of property one of the reasons i dont know the other was the pipe for the toilet vent was after pointing downward no knock at door etc. Wouldnt mind but Bathroom window not frosted climbing ladder outside it wile housemate was using toilet at time ran out etc.

I confronted landlord and said a knock would have been courteous could you do so in future. Some one could have been using toilet they said there was no one in there? But there was.

I have also mentioned the water tastes horrible metallic. Sent plumber who said it tasted fine to him and landlord tasted it said he has no taste from it. So now im just drinking bottled water.

As I mentioned i could go on and on. This landlord ive been told has 5 other propertys not including this one and the air bnb.

Just on the point of the contractors to be fair if the landlord can make time to txt about blinds but not about tradesmen coming what does that say.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭AuldDaysul

I would presume they move the blind to allow them to open the window, then put the blind back to the privacy position that they had before. 🙄

Are you ventilating the house otherwise it could get a bit manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Tell him to go fcuk himself, in the nicest possible way of course

Why presume its a he ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

blingrhino wrote: »
    Why presume its a he ??

Indeed, one should be careful presuming pronouns...

Are you ventilating the house otherwise it could get a bit manky.

Yes, the house is not mouldy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Where's the law that says OP needs to air the room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Choosehowevr.

GarIT wrote: »

A lot of places don't even need it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

GarIT wrote: »

16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—

(f) not do any act that would cause a deterioration in the condition the dwelling was in at the commencement of the tenancy, but there shall be disregarded, in determining whether this obligation has been complied with at a particular time, any deterioration in that condition owing to normal wear and tear, that is to say wear and tear that is normal having regard to—

(i) the time that has elapsed from the commencement of the tenancy,

(ii) the extent of occupation of the dwelling the landlord must have reasonably foreseen would occur since that commencement, and

(iii) any other relevant matters,

TBH I'm just be facetious. Also could be argued that not airing the rooms is not an act but lack of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—

(f) not do any act that would cause a deterioration in the condition the dwelling was in at the commencement of the tenancy, but there shall be disregarded, in determining whether this obligation has been complied with at a particular time, any deterioration in that condition owing to normal wear and tear, that is to say wear and tear that is normal having regard to—

(i) the time that has elapsed from the commencement of the tenancy,

(ii) the extent of occupation of the dwelling the landlord must have reasonably foreseen would occur since that commencement, and

(iii) any other relevant matters,

TBH I'm just be factious. Also could be argued that not airing the rooms is not an act but lack of same.

Maybe you could. I'd argue it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

blingrhino wrote: »
    Why presume its a he ??

Sur they brought a hose and brought it back covered in cement and he went up a ladder to fix a pipe, how many women have you seen going up a ladder or mixing concrete :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

ted1 wrote: »
    In fairness houses need to be vented and windows should be opened

I understand and agree. My point was that some landlords want the house operated as they would operate it, for better or for worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Shop him to the tax man

Shop him to the tax man

I believe the landlord is tax compliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

It’s often the way people ask for something not what they want that causes issues....The LL is possibly concerned about air/mould or the rest of the home, but hasn’t expressed what the underlying issue is..

Blinds closed all day could indicate a shift worker, but it could also indicate disorganised, untidy, lazy people. That would be highly judgemental and prejudicial of course, but it’s human nature that a property owner tried to build a picture of what is going on in their property- with some, as already mentioned, trying to influence things to the exact way they would want to live.

I can see a landlord wondering if people can’t be bothered to lift the blinds and are happy to wallow in dark all day, what else can’t they be bothered to do with the house? Do they ever clean it?

There’s a house around the corner from us and the blinds never lift. It looks unkept as a result, and given one or two other unusual observations one could arrive at the conclusion that there is drugs or severe hangovers within the house.

In this case, I’d consider what the LL concern is, consider whether you understand it, and make a decision to ignore it or take it onboard. It’s unlikely it’s going to escalate at the end of the day if you wish to ignore it. In one ear and out the other :-)

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

I am a landlord with one house. My tenant also does not open the blinds. I have to say this does annoy me although I would never raise the issue with the tenant because they are entitled to use the house as they please within reason.

Why does not pulling the blinds annoy me?
    1. Because I worry that the house isn't getting aired.
    2. Because it makes the house from the outside look sad and uncared for.
    3. Because I wonder what are they hiding
    4. Because neighbours have mentioned it to me as being weird
    5. Because none of the other houses on the road leaves their blinds drawn constantly.

As I said I will not mention it to my tenants as an issue. My advice is why can't you just close the blinds when at night and when you are doing something private. As someone else mentioned earlier a house with light makes it a happier healthier home in my opinion. I just want to put a landlords view across.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement