Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord unhappy with blinds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have no curtains in the "kitchen" but I have the patterned "window film " from Lenahans in Dublin for privacy. Wide variety of patterns or just frosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Deeec

OP I think you should speak to the landlord and try and reach a compromise - maybe she could get net curtains for the windows.

I would hate to live in the rooms you describe - it sounds miserable. I know you mentioned that each of the rooms have other windows but I still think letting more light in would be beneficial for you. Also 2 to 3 meters from passerby's means they are not looking directly in your windows unless you always have the lights on. Give it a try - it could change your life for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Curious1002

OP, keep a record of all the nuisance, visits, requests and complains from this landlord but also all the requests you have made to her, which she ignored. Date, time and event. No more phone calls but texts and emails only otherwise you may one day end up in the RTB and calls/talks are no evidence there whatsoever. If you somehow talk to her then drop her a text confirming briefly what was discussed. I would give her a pass now but next time she puts her nose in your place unannounced or gives you rdiculous and self-serving requests tell her that you will open a dispute about her constant harassment and preventing you from having a peaceful living conditions.
    Ask her in a text to do all the repairs (washing machine, water, etc) immediately and if she does not, send her a text that you will have to do it yourself but then you will deduct it from the rent. She will get back to you immediately after that, trust me. If she refuses the repairs anyway - open the RTB dispute about it and add all the nuisance she has been causing you and your family. The fact that she and her buddy plumber tasted the water and they both think it's ok does not mean anything. Obviously there is a conflict of interest and the plumber would kiss her a$$ to keep the future jobs she gives him. You can test the water yourself with a laboratory (quite a few of them in Ireland), i think it cost €40-50 a sample but takes about 3 weeks to get the results. They will send you a kit, you will use it, pack it and send it back to them. If the tests show health hazard then you will get the money back from the landlord for the test and an order from the laboratory to fix it, which you will then pass on to her. Keep your receipts and a record for all the water you buy to drink and all the hassle.
    Next time you see your stuff being "borrowed", check the state of it right after and then send her a text to bring it back to the conditions like it was before and to never ever take anything that belongs to you without asking for permission first. Ignore her requests about the blinds. I bet you will hear from her about the blinds again but it only works to your favour.
    Remember, keep clear evidence of all conversations.
    The RTB case would teach her a lesson of what she can/can't do and what she must do as a landlord. I bet you would win a nice compensation too. It will also protect you if she decided to evict you in the future as you could then claim a penalisation Section 14 "Prohibition on penalisation on tenants" for reporting her to the RTB. The penalty can reach €20K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭lucalux

I live in a house with windows that are so poorly fitted that I have to close the front window curtains, or else I'd lose every bit of heat through them. The breeze is unreal through them, so I try to insulate the windows a bit, slow down the heat loss.

Same with blinds on some of the back/side windows. Single pane windows need a bit of insulation also, so close fitting blinds are recommended to help.

Also I like privacy so I close the blinds when I feel the need.

Obviously opening windows and airing the house has nothing to do with whether blinds or curtains are open. They're two different issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Deeec

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have no curtains in the "kitchen" but I have the patterned "window film " from Lenahans in Dublin for privacy. Wide variety of patterns or just frosted.

Hi Grace. I am a big fan of your posts. You are a brilliant writer. I know from your other posts you live in an island. I always assumed you didn't have close neighbour's. I am just curious why you need the window film. I've always pictured your home as remote with very scenic views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

lucalux wrote: »

Also I like privacy so I close the blinds when I feel the need.

Obviously opening windows and airing the house has nothing to do with whether blinds or curtains are open. They're two different issues.

Thanks for understanding, alot of people that have posted believe i live in a vaccuum and also that im am a creature of the night!

They are two separate issues in my mind also. Ive said in previous posts that we do air the house and only one blind us constantly drawn fully closed. One is actually open all day. The other blind is open varying degrees depending on time and what activity i.e watching the television. They are large windows so they have one blind full open and the other 1/2 open leaves in plenty light.

Anyway my landlord has done a flyby today while i was out washing the cars no doubt this will displease my landlord as ive been warned not to be outside making noise.

OP, keep a record of all the nuisance, visits, requests and complains from this landlord but also all the requests you have made to her, which she ignored. Date, time and event. No more phone calls but texts and emails only otherwise you may one day end up in the RTB and calls/talks are no evidence there whatsoever. If you somehow talk to her then drop her a text confirming briefly what was discussed. I would give her a pass now but next time she puts her nose in your place unannounced or gives you rdiculous and self-serving requests tell her that you will open a dispute about her constant harassment and preventing you from having a peaceful living conditions.
    Ask her in a text to do all the repairs (washing machine, water, etc) immediately and if she does not, send her a text that you will have to do it yourself but then you will deduct it from the rent. She will get back to you immediately after that, trust me. If she refuses the repairs anyway - open the RTB dispute about it and add all the nuisance she has been causing you and your family. The fact that she and her buddy plumber tasted the water and they both think it's ok does not mean anything. Obviously there is a conflict of interest and the plumber would kiss her a$$ to keep the future jobs she gives him. You can test the water yourself with a laboratory (quite a few of them in Ireland), i think it cost €40-50 a sample but takes about 3 weeks to get the results. They will send you a kit, you will use it, pack it and send it back to them. If the tests show health hazard then you will get the money back from the landlord for the test and an order from the laboratory to fix it, which you will then pass on to her. Keep your receipts and a record for all the water you buy to drink and all the hassle.
    Next time you see your stuff being "borrowed", check the state of it right after and then send her a text to bring it back to the conditions like it was before and to never ever take anything that belongs to you without asking for permission first. Ignore her requests about the blinds. I bet you will hear from her about the blinds again but it only works to your favour.
    Remember, keep clear evidence of all conversations.
    The RTB case would teach her a lesson of what she can/can't do and what she must do as a landlord. I bet you would win a nice compensation too. It will also protect you if she decided to evict you in the future as you could then claim a penalisation Section 14 "Prohibition on penalisation on tenants" for reporting her to the RTB. The penalty can reach €20K.

very informative post. I will be taking your advice thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Graces7 wrote: »

Thought you lived on an island.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I actually do know that I was just stating the obvious as this is some of the biggest reasons.

Well its reads as an illogical rant. The house I've had the worst problems with mould is the newest one due to poor design. I do not assume older houses are better as result.

Thanks for understanding, alot of people that have posted believe i live in a vaccuum and also that im am a creature of the night!

They are two separate issues in my mind also. Ive said in previous posts that we do air the house and only one blind us constantly drawn fully closed. One is actually open all day. The other blind is open varying degrees depending on time and what activity i.e watching the television. They are large windows so they have one blind full open and the other 1/2 open leaves in plenty light.

Anyway my landlord has done a flyby today while i was out washing the cars no doubt this will displease my landlord as ive been warned not to be outside making noise.

I think your landlord has made you paranoid about it. The issue is not the blinds. It's that the landlord is micro managing the property and breaking the regulations in doing so. I would keep a list of the interference, refuse politely to do these requests. If they want to argue about, tell them to take it to the RTB and have it out in arbitration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

listermint wrote: »
    Thought you lived on an island.....

I presume even islands can get stuff delivered these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The land lord has requested that all front facing blinds are opened wound up completely during the day. Reason given they want both cottages looking there good when guests arrive to stay next door.

Sounds like the landlord should replace the blinds with ones that look good if they're so bothered about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

This is ridiculous. Did you get a discounted rent for the grounds of the house not being included?

McGaggs wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. Did you get a discounted rent for the grounds of the house not being included?

No, im sure our lease says we are to maintain the grounds but I would have to double check.

I got a verbal list of things im not to use outside, air compressor, electric drill, angle grinder, hammer, air gun. While the list isn't exhaustive ive believe a power washer would have made the list if they thought of it . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

beauf wrote: »
    Well its reads as an illogical rant. The house I've had the worst problems with mould is the newest one due to poor design. I do not assume older houses are better as result.

Newer houses are sealed very well, too well in some cases. We had a council apartment that was so bad for mould and condensation that the council installed a comprehensive de humidifier system at a cost of 11k per apartment.

The house I live in now is 50 years old and not a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I wouldn't be leaving blinds closed during the day, looks like someone has died :V an old irish thing i suppose ..

however, your landlord should NOT be telling you what to do with your blinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

No, im sure our lease says we are to maintain the grounds but I would have to double check.

I got a verbal list of things im not to use outside, air compressor, electric drill, angle grinder, hammer, air gun. While the list isn't exhaustive ive believe a power washer would have made the list if they thought of it . . .

do you think this is unreasonable? there is no reason you could justifiably consider using any.of those is reasonable in a domestic setting, not if you have consideration for your neighbours, sounds like the kind of stuff someone would be using if they were operating a business, which under leases Ive seen, was specifically not allowed.

As for the keeping blinds closed, maybe it could look better with net curtains, despite being old fashioned, very easy to see out imo and difficult for anyone to see in, could even have lined curtains closed behind them and it would appear less obvious than blinds down fully, which imo is very obvious.

I think instead of butting heads with the landlord, you should look for a compromise, aside from being more reasonable, its not going to do you any favours in the long run, and it doesnt work indefinitely to stubbornly oppose anything and everything.

1874 wrote: »
    do you think this is unreasonable? there is no reason you could justifiably consider using any.of those is reasonable in a domestic setting, not if you have consideration for your neighbours, sounds like the kind of stuff someone would be using if they were operating a business, which under leases Ive seen, was specifically not allowed.

As for the keeping blinds closed, maybe it could look better with net curtains, despite being old fashioned, very easy to see out imo and difficult for anyone to see in, could even have lined curtains closed behind them and it would appear less obvious than blinds down fully, which imo is very obvious.

I think instead of butting heads with the landlord, you should look for a compromise, aside from being more reasonable, its not going to do you any favours in the long run, and it doesnt work indefinitely to stubbornly oppose anything and everything.

You don’t do anything for yourself do you?

So electric drill used as a screwdriver to i dont know assemble a outside bench?

Air compressor to pump a flat tyre?

A hammer has so many uses i wont go into.

Power washer for washing my car?

I have not got any real neighbours but i can tell you my closest neighbour makes a hell of a lot more noise than i do, he uses an air compressor, petrol stimmer, ride on mower, quad bike etc and i dont find it unreasonable.

You don’t do anything for yourself do you?

whats that supposed to mean? do you know or live with the op? there is zero grounds for using an air compressor or any tools that go with it other than for renovation, anything on a regular basis and you can expect your neighbours who are entitled to a certain amount of peace, which doesnt come from using the type of stuff mentioned.
    I do plenty for myself,but Im not making up sets of gates or working on cars on a regular basis, anyyhing which cant be done with handtools, or electric tools shouldnt be done on a domestic property imo, good grounds for a noise complaint if so.

• Advertisement

whats that supposed to mean? do you know or live with the op? there is zero grounds for using an air compressor or any tools that go with it other than for renovation, anything on a regular basis and you can expect your neighbours who are entitled to a certain amount of peace, which doesnt come from using the type of stuff mentioned.
    I do plenty for myself,but Im not making up sets of gates or working on cars on a regular basis, all of which can be done with handtools, anything that cant ahouldnt be done on a domestic property imo, good grounds for a noise complaint if so.

If using a drill, which the OP mentioned, would only be by someone running a business then you’re so far out of touch you’re on a different planet. The fact you want the OP to submit to the landlord on the blinds (despite the very reasonable explanation from them) is even worse.

So electric drill used as a screwdriver to i dont know assemble a outside bench?

Air compressor to pump a flat tyre?

A hammer has so many uses i wont go into.

Power washer for washing my car?

I have not got any real neighbours but i can tell you my closest neighbour makes a hell of a lot more noise than i do, he uses an air compressor, petrol stimmer, ride on mower, quad bike etc and i dont find it unreasonable.

The verbal you state you were given makes it sound like you are operating a business from a rental address and were told not to, either directly or indirectly, also what you say your nearest neigbour does, doesnt mean you should too, they might not have a rental agreement and you make it sound like they arent as near as yoir landlords other property, which you state is attached, if your landlord operates a business next door it seems reasonable that you dont run the kind of tools you initially mentioned. I dont in fact see any reason to be continually pumping tyres, have had to do it once in a blue moon, it makes it sound like you are running an informal business dealing in cars, lived near 2 people that did that, pissed off all the neighbours around, both businesses shut down and one lot chucked out, So I dont see what reason a tenant would have for constant work to be going on, no need from a landlords perspective for a tenant to be drilling anything?? using as a screw gun ok, but again, how many items are you assembling stuff? initially you specifically mentioned, air compressor and tools for that, zero reason for that, and the landlord and tenants have obligations, some to neighbours. How many times do you power wash your cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I do plenty for myself,but Im not making up sets of gates or working on cars on a regular basis, anyyhing which cant be done with handtools, or electric tools shouldnt be done on a domestic property imo, good grounds for a noise complaint if so.

It's people like yourself that make me very glad i've moved out of the city to the country.

If using a drill, which the OP mentioned, would only be by someone running a business then you’re so far out of touch you’re on a different planet. The fact you want the OP to submit to the landlord on the blinds (despite the very reasonable explanation from them) is even worse.

How many times does a tenant have to use a drill in a rented property, Im plenty used to doing work myself, never said using a drill was akin to running a business, air compressor and associated tools, different story, not reasonable, from a domestic property.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,724 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I presume even islands can get stuff delivered these days...

I think your missing the point.

Pulling blinds down on a scenics isolated island..... With nothing but beautiful views....

The verbal you state you were given makes it sound like you are operating a business from a rental address and were told not to, either directly or indirectly, also what you say your nearest neigbour does, doesnt mean you should too, they might not have a rental agreement and you make it sound like they arent as near as yoir landlords other property, which you state is attached, if your landlord operates a business next door it seems reasonable that you dont run the kind of tools you initially mentioned. I dont in fact see any reason to be continually pumping tyres, have had to do it once in a blue moon, it makes it sound like you are running an informal business dealing in cars, lived near 2 people that did that, pissed off all the neighbours around, both businesses shut down and one lot chucked out, So I dont see what reason a tenant would have for constant work to be going on, no need from a landlords perspective for a tenant to be drilling anything?? using as a screw gun ok, but again, how many items are you assembling stuff? initially you specifically mentioned, air compressor and tools for that, zero reason for that, and the landlord and tenants have obligations, some to neighbours. How many times do you power wash your cars?

There is two cars in our household i own one of them! you are welcome to come visit and check if im running a business as i am not!

It's people like yourself that make me very glad i've moved out of the city to the country.

Just make sure you never mow a lawn.

There is two cars in our household i own one of them! you are welcome to come visit and check if im running a business as i am not!

It seems a very unusual thing for a landlord to have say to a tenant,not to run angle grinders or an air compressor, If you weren't, why would they say it?

That's your opinion. Lots of people have hobbies or enjoy DIY that require similar tools.

• Advertisement

Just make sure you never mow a lawn.

You dont seem to understand the difference between whats reasonable and whats not, heard of it a few times on boards and saw it a few times myself,people running informal businesses from domestic addresses,in cases I saw, they were rented properties, and neighbours, owners or renting have a reasonable right to some peace and consideration, saying as you do about mowing a lawn, makes you seem immature and inconsiderate, because you dont knkw where to draw a line or because you do but wouldnt care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement