Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Luka Legend with two 3s in the last 15 seconds to beat Boston. Wasn't having an amazing game but came up big time when it mattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

For me it should be between Embiid, Jokic, or Lillard - at this stage of the season. That's my Top 3. But a lot can happen before then end of the season.

I think at the end of the season it will be between 2 . Not to come off too contrary . Kawhi if he doesn't miss too many games from here and wait for it ........ Harden

The clippers and nets will win the West and the East imo and both are playing MVP level basketball

Also I was looking for a new podcast so will give the above a listen

Luka Legend with two 3s in the last 15 seconds to beat Boston. Wasn't having an amazing game but came up big time when it mattered.

Luka seems to have 'it' . Much greater than the sum of his parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Corvo

For me it should be between Embiid, Jokic, or Lillard - at this stage of the season. That's my Top 3. But a lot can happen before then end of the season.

Jokic certainly has the stats (and I see no reason why he won't keep that level up) but my worry for his MVP chances is the possibility that Denver finish a relatively low seed (am I right in thinking that Westbrook is the only one in recent times to get it outside of a top 3 seed?)

Guess the same would apply to Lillard.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1364374433104760832?s=20

Free pints for Anthony Edwards when ever he comes here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,188 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Who is the journalist and what outlet is he working for?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Who is the journalist and what outlet is he working for?

Jim Conlon working for RCB Radio in Clare is all I can gather which seems very bizarre.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Jim Conlon working for RCB Radio in Clare is all I can gather which seems very bizarre.

What? Seriously? Basketball rarely gets a mention on national sports dedicated radio, is there really no a slot on one of the regionals? I’m genuinely shocked to hear this if so.

And he has NBA media accreditation - how????!!!

What? Seriously? Basketball rarely gets a mention on national sports dedicated radio, is there really no a slot on one of the regionals? I’m genuinely shocked to hear this if so.

And he has NBA media accreditation - how????!!!

I’m pretty sure I seen someone say he also asked Pep Guardiola a question in a press conference too.

Who is this mystery man

Corvo wrote: »
    I’m pretty sure I seen someone say he also asked Pep Guardiola a question in a press conference too.

Who is this mystery man

He's spent the whole day posting previous questions he's asked people on twitter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimconlanmedia/with_replies

Mother of God who is he.

• Advertisement

It’s a skit...isn’t it?

I'm a lifelong Celtics fan, but even I can't justify a team in 9th place in their Conference having 2 All Stars. And if I had to pick just one this year it would be Brown, not Tatum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

We must be in the Twilight Zone. After 34 games the Knicks are a .5 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Can't see a thread on it but it have been mentioned but is anybody looking at NBA Top Shots? The digital clips?

Can't see a thread on it but it have been mentioned but is anybody looking at NBA Top Shots? The digital clips?

Yup. Interesting. Not sure I'd be putting my money into it but interesting nonetheless. There really isn't anything they can't or won't try to monetize these days. The timing is perfect with the massive increase in player cards lately.

We must be in the Twilight Zone. After 34 games the Knicks are a .5 team.

Thibodeau ought to be canonised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Yup. Interesting. Not sure I'd be putting my money into it but interesting nonetheless. There really isn't anything they can't or won't try to monetize these days. The timing is perfect with the massive increase in player cards lately.

I put a dabble in it and looked into it a lot, Could be a quick money maker over the course of a couple of months before it crashes and becomes even bigger.

Great interview with Brian Scalabrine on The Lowe Post in the last few days about the Celtics and other topics. Can't believe that he's "just" doing TV work for the Celtics, he's certainly got more to offer than that (he was formerly an assistant at Golden State). The biggest reveal for me was the fact that Boston are averaging just 2 hockey assists per game. That's astonishing to me that a team can do that, any team at any level TBH. Points to an incredibly stagnant offence and very poor passing.

I think at the end of the season it will be between 2 . Not to come off too contrary . Kawhi if he doesn't miss too many games from here and wait for it ........ Harden

The clippers and nets will win the West and the East imo and both are playing MVP level basketball

Also I was looking for a new podcast so will give the above a listen

Harden shout is ageing better by the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Harden shout is ageing better by the day

Hes definitely playing at an MVP level and will tick a lot of the boxes, can still be got at 33/1 too!

Such a good MVP race this year, and with Lebron taking up so much of the book there is good value in the market too.

• Advertisement

Joakim Noah is retiring.

I can't get my head around it. These clips exist on YouTube for free. Also the price is determined by what Top Shots deems rare, aka how many of these moments they mint. Who are they say what is rare? It is so inherently flawed I am amazed anyone would buy into this. Eventually someone is going to be left with a hefty bill for a piece of video because he can't find anyone to flip it for. And again, you can get that you for free online already!!!

It's not like collecting stamps, coins, cards, jerseys or whatever that's in a finite amount and a physical product. The company could decide tomorrow to mint hundreds of a moment and drop its value from sky high to nothing. It'd be like the government deciding to print 1000 trillion euro tomorrow and making all our money worth nothing.

This is money laundering in plain sight in my opinion. Art collecting is a load of corrupt bollocks but at least you get a painting for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Coneygree wrote: »
    I can't get my head around it. These clips exist on YouTube for free. Also the price is determined by what Top Shots deems rare, aka how many of these moments they mint. Who are they say what is rare? It is so inherently flawed I am amazed anyone would buy into this. Eventually someone is going to be left with a hefty bill for a piece of video because he can't find anyone to flip it for. And again, you can get that you for free online already!!!

It's not like collecting stamps, coins, cards, jerseys or whatever that's in a finite amount and a physical product. The company could decide tomorrow to mint hundreds of a moment and drop its value from sky high to nothing. It'd be like the government deciding to print 1000 trillion euro tomorrow and making all our money worth nothing.

This is money laundering in plain sight in my opinion. Art collecting is a load of corrupt bollocks but at least you get a painting for that.

I haven’t looked too much into it but I’ve listened to a few podcasts and stuff that have discussed it
    I generally agree with everything you say but I also know that this generation is totally different to mine, the things they hold value in are to different to mine.
    A lot of these people spend the majority of their day online, this is their reality, for better or worse, if these people see this as unique then it has value

It’s totally weird don’t get me wrong and it is probably a load of crap but you know these days, it might work

Tried out Top Shot for the craic.

I got in what turned out to be a massive queue just before 5pm (I went in at around 30k mark, my friend was around 140k in it) and got a pack for 15 dollars.

Ended up with a Tatum assist off the floor, a Caleb Martin dunk and a Thaddeus Young dunk. Onthe market place they are selling (combined) for around 90 dollars at their lowest ask price (one guy is selling the Caleb Martin dunk for 15k). Doesn’t mean they’ll sell of course.

I mean, who wants a Caleb Martin dunk apart from Caleb Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Unsurprisingly Detroit have bought out Griffin yesterday to get rid of him. Hes on waivers and will be a Free Agent in two days.

Surprisingly the Lakers arent actually thought to be in the running for him and its supposedly the Nets who are frontrunners, for some reason.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly Detroit have bought out Griffin yesterday to get rid of him. Hes on waivers and will be a Free Agent in two days.

Surprisingly the Lakers arent actually thought to be in the running for him and its supposedly the Nets who are frontrunners, for some reason.

Unless he's been hiding his true abilities in Detroit, I don't see why any contender would want him. I understand that he'll be a on vet minimum but he's totally washed.

He had a really good 2018 - 2019 season. His fall off in the space of 18 months is incredible. I agree he is worthless right now.

pjohnson wrote: »

Corvo wrote: »
    Unless he's been hiding his true abilities in Detroit, I don't see why any contender would want him. I understand that he'll be a on vet minimum but he's totally washed.

Someone will pick him up. He can still play, but he’s a shadow of what he once was. He was All NBA as recently as 2019. The drop off is frightening, and sad too tbh. You hate seeing a player decline like that physically, esp in a relatively short period of time.

I wonder how much the buyout was? Would also be interesting to see what he cost Detroit per game seeing as he was injured for most of last year too. The figures would likely make your eyes water.

It was a horrendous trade at the time, and looks worse now. Jerry West is one shrewd mofo.

If he goes to the Nets it'll be Slob City with Deandre Jordan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,703 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

On limited minutes he may be able to play to a decent level still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement