Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020/21 NBA season + Olympics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭tyivpc5qjx0f2b

I actually saw him play when he was at the suns, I think he was a center, Offaly born I think

No Irish player ever drafted to the NBA.

High hopes for Aidan Harris Igiehon though but I dont believe his performances at Louisiana have warranted a pick yet.

Interestingly he actually appeared on a pretty big billboard at the all star game maybe 2 years ago.
    It was promoting rising stars so must be lots of positive feelings about him, hopefully he can make a case for himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

High hopes for Aidan Harris Igiehon though but I dont believe his performances at Louisiana have warranted a pick yet.

Interestingly he actually appeared on a pretty big billboard at the all star game maybe 2 years ago.
    It was promoting rising stars so must be lots of positive feelings about him, hopefully he can make a case for himself.

Think he suffered a nasty enough injury in his freshman year at Louisville which has been a killer for draft rankings unfortunately. He doesn't tend to be on any mock drafts I've seen recently for future years.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What?
    Pat Burke is Irish. Born here. To Irish parents. Irish passport holder. Played for the Irish National team. How much more Irish can he be?

What?
    Pat Burke is Irish. Born here. To Irish parents. Irish passport holder. Played for the Irish National team. How much more Irish can he be?

Did you read what I said?

No irish player ever drafted

Pat Burke went undrafted in 97 and was picked up that season as an undrafted player

Did you read what I said?

No irish player ever drafted

Pat Burke went undrafted in 97 and was picked up that season as an undrafted player

Really? That’s the line you’re going to take?

By that logic you’d prefer he was drafted but never played an actual NBA game rather than play a number of seasons being undrafted.

And I hate to break it to you but seeing as you’re being such a pedant but there have been a handful Irish passport holders who either played for the national team or qualified to do so who were drafted but never played as much as 1 second in the NBA - try googling that. Except you won’t be able to because google won’t answer that question for you.

You know the draft used to have 10 rounds, right?

• Advertisement

Here's another one for you, and I'll even give you a clue.

There was a player who played NBA for the 76ers who was Irish-qualified through his parents. The IBBA (it was the IBBA at the time) lobbied and had talks with him and his agent about playing for the National Team but nothing ever came of it. Does that make 2 Irish players in the NBA? He was drafted too btw.

Sigh...

It was simply a piece of trivia that if Aidan Harris was drafted he would own the honour of 1st Irish born Player ever drafted

It’s not a line, just a fact. It’s a title still up for grabs.

You would think you’d have calmed down at this stage.

Sigh...

It was simply a piece of trivia that if Aidan Harris was drafted he would own the honour of 1st Irish Player ever drafted

It’s not a line, just a fact. It’s a title still up for grabs.

You would think you’d have calmed down at this stage.

For a fella who was incredibly pedantic earlier, it’s not. As I have stated, there have been Irish passport holders and Irish qualified players who were drafted but did not play in the NBA.

You have the right to your opinion, and you have the right to be wrong. And you are wrong on this.

For a fella who was incredibly pedantic earlier, it’s not. As I have stated, there have been Irish passport holders and Irish qualified players who were drafted but did not play in the NBA.

You have the right to your opinion, and you have the right to be wrong. And you are wrong on this.

As I stated above, Irish born.

The discussion was clearly Irish born as you stated yourself.

As I said, just a piece of trivia

As I stated above, Irish born.

The discussion was clearly Irish born as you stated yourself.

As I said, just a piece of trivia

And again, you’re wrong.

• Advertisement

And again, you’re wrong.

Are you saying there is another Irish born player who’s been drafted to the NBA?

I don’t know of any, perhaps you could share a name?

Are you saying there is another Irish born player who’s been drafted to the NBA?

I don’t know of any, perhaps you could share a name?

Yes. Similar situation to Burke. Born here but emigrated before he was 1. Was drafted but never made the NBA. How do I know? Because I met him. One of the privileges of playing for your country.

But hey, you know more than anyone. Go find his name.

And as I’ve said, there’s others who are Irish passport holders of Irish qualified who were drafted but never played in the NBA.

Yes. Similar situation to Burke. Born here but emigrated before he was 1. Was drafted but never made the NBA. How do I know? Because I met him. One of the privileges of playing for your country.

But hey, you know more than anyone. Go find his name.

And as I’ve said, there’s others who are Irish passport holders of Irish qualified who were drafted but never played in the NBA.

I’m happy to be corrected on this Butterssuki. I never claimed to know more than anyone else.

As I said already, it really was only a piece of trivia that I thought was true.

A quick google reveals nobody to me.

Can you share their name? I’m interested and I am more than happy to admit I was incorrect on this.

I’m happy to be corrected on this Butterssuki. I never claimed to know more than anyone else.

As I said already, it really was only a piece of trivia that I thought was true.

Can you share their name? I’m interested and I am more than happy to admit I was incorrect on this.

Sorry, but considering your tone and general smart arsed-ness I can’t be bothered.

He was drafted before 1989. Do the math and figure it out yourself seeing as you know so much. Only a few thousand players. Shouldn’t take too long.

A) If it's only a piece of trivia, why hold so steadfastly to it as you have?
    B) Do you believe google to be 100% accurate in everything? No possibility that it could be wrong, right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Quit the bickering both of you. Ye are both derailing the thread with this rubbish. Take the debate to PM if ye want but this argument stops here.

Nothing like a quality game on early Sunday. I’ve been awaiting this one all week.

Pelicans one of the game pass teams to have and Celtics might be the most enigmatic team of the year.

Outside of the actual fun of an early Zion game, I think the Pels could be a good litmus test for that shaky Celtics frontcourt.

Physicality of Zion & Adams could really show up the Celtics need to consider Drummond as an option

Adams is day to day but hopeful for a full roster on both sides.

Unfortunately, Adam's not playing tonight.

When the Pels are rolling, its just so hard not to imagine them as a playoff team.

I heard an interview with Zion discussing Ingram and he mentioned that it's only a matter of time before he takes the next step.

I love his game, just the way he moves in traffic is so nice to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Unfortunately, Adam's not playing tonight.

When the Pels are rolling, its just so hard not to imagine them as a playoff team.

I heard an interview with Zion discussing Ingram and he mentioned that it's only a matter of time before he takes the next step.

I love his game, just the way he moves in traffic is so nice to watch.

I love watching this team but also that Ingram has made it his team, over the predicted Zion (not saying Zion can’t make it his again)

Corvo wrote: »
    I love watching this team but also that Ingram has made it his team, over the predicted Zion (not saying Zion can’t make it his again)

Yeah and what's fantastic about it is his humility. He is happy to see Ingram leading the team, continuing to learn and so forth.

What I love about the combo of them is that they're both fantastic passers in their positions.

For me, I just still dont know what's best to maximise Zions talents in order to win.
    He's still very left hand dominate and undersized to guard the 5 spot regularly.

It'll be interesting to see how the rotations evolve. Adam's just signed his 2 year deal so he goes from 27m this year to 17m for the next 2 years which is decent value but can they will with the 2 of them as the frontcourt?
    Not sold myself but it'll be fun to see.

This is fantastic, Zion & Tatum trading scores down the stretch.

I thought it was the Pelicans after

https://twitter.com/GeorgeOnTap/status/1363626588139528196?s=20

Before Tatum does

https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1363627279323127808?s=20

On to OT

• Advertisement

Stuck to it here! Tatum is flawless.

Stuck to it here! Tatum is flawless.

He was fantastic, didnt get enough from Jaylen/Kemba towards the end of the 3rd & start of the 4th which contributed to the loss.

Jaylen made some nice plays down the stretch but hard to win when they're combining for 12/44 from the field. Up 24pts mid way through the 3rd and allowed it get away.

I thought that Ingram had sealed it in OT with the 3 but Jaylens 3 FT's and Hart's missed FT gave them a little bit of a scare.

Such a treat to have a great game early on a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

What on earth was with the ejection of JJ Reddick? Did the ref somehow perceive that as being thrown AT him rather than TO him? Definitely one of the stranger technical fouls I've seen called

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Top Dog wrote: »
    What on earth was with the ejection of JJ Reddick? Did the ref somehow perceive that as being thrown AT him rather than TO him? Definitely one of the stranger technical fouls I've seen called

Power trip, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,376 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Quinn Cook (Lakers) and Sindarius Thornwell (Pelicans) waived this morning. More expected from around the teams before tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Poor from the Lakers . Wizards were on an ok streak but that was purely on offense .

LeBron not quite at the MVP level the narrative is pushing . His 3pt percentage has plummeted , his free throws are way down still and he leads the league in turnovers

I sound like Skip Bayless

Poor from the Lakers . Wizards were on an ok streak but that was purely on offense .

LeBron not quite at the MVP level the narrative is pushing . His 3pt percentage has plummeted , his free throws are way down still and he leads the league in turnovers

I sound like Skip Bayless

No, the criticism is fair. Statistically he's doing nothing better than any season over the last number of years, in fact iot's worse than many of them.

he's lobbied hard and constructed a narrative that he's not getting enough respect (the Bubble quotes), this year and over his career. Windhorst did a year by year breakdown of all of the last 10 years on MVP strategically analyzing the perceived snubbing of LeBron for MVP and concluded he hadn't been. And Windhorst is a LeBron guy. He's playing the "lifetime achievement" angle too, it's a regular season award, not a bloody lifetime achievement award! The podcast is wroth listening to btw.

I personally think all this lobbying is very distasteful. Contrast that with the play and dignified silence of Lillard for example and they're world's apart. And Lillard doesn't have the support cast that LeBron has.

Or Jokic. Jokic has zero media presence or influence. And he has a far better MVP case than LeBron this year. It's not even close. But you don't hear his name anywhere near as much as LeBron's.

I think Embild has to be the front runner at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 23,376 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The All-Star Reserves:

West: Chris Paul, Paul George, Damian Lillard, Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert, Zion Williamson, Anthony Davis

East: James Harden, Julius Randle, Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Zach LaVine, Ben Simmons, Nikola Vucevic

• Advertisement

I think Embild has to be the front runner at this stage

For me it should be between Embiid, Jokic, or Lillard - at this stage of the season. That's my Top 3. But a lot can happen before then end of the season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement