Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

DutchYurt wrote: »
    This has literally just been two months of red, none stop. ****ing hell

Disaster. Started selling. Probably turn in the next few mins haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I need Cloudflare to ****ing drop some more so I can buy in

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

cronos wrote: »

My SPACs are a disaster, greens are a disaster and tech just doesn't seem to want to come back.

PIPP is currently 9.88 you'll actually make 12cents for every share you buy considering it's gone under 10. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

I started trimming some stocks that were still green overall to move some cash into crypto over the last few weeks........the red followed me to crypto

My SPACs are a disaster, greens are a disaster and tech just doesn't seem to want to come back.

PIPP is currently 9.88 you'll actually make 12cents for every share you buy considering it's gone under 10. Madness.

I definitely tried to catch a falling knife and failed. Sold skills and Opendoor at around a 25% to 30% loss. Not good for the health watching such drops each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I definitely tried to catch a falling knife and failed. Sold skills and Opendoor at around a 25% to 30% loss. Not good for the health watching such drops each day.

Yeah I'm very much back in the red, my 2020 and 2021 gains are gone. I thought I was buying the dip too but they kept dipping. Most of my stocks right now are between 25 to 45% down.. disaster

Lots of chatter saying forget about any sustained green until the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jake frost

freyners wrote: »
    I have a small position in Nano Dimensions. Wildest ride so far in my investing life. Have been up 30%, Down 30%, down 9% yesterday and now up 11% so far today

Me2 been on the NNDM wagon now for a while, also some dubious stuff going on in Tattooed Chef TTCF down around 11% yesterday and 4% so far today, there CFO resigned suddenly last week to. Dobt know whats going on but ill hold and see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

freyners wrote: »
    I have a small position in Nano Dimensions. Wildest ride so far in my investing life. Have been up 30%, Down 30%, down 9% yesterday and now up 11% so far today

Try being in them since 3$ last oct lol, +600% to their peak and a -70% drawdown to their lowest point since then, still postive with them but yeh some wild ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

Happened me in early March - basically gave away 7k. Each stock had bounced back a little.

Peloton is still a sore one to look at but it’s dropped quite a lot recently so I might re-enter if I can at previous discounted price.

My SPACs are actually mitigating the damage as they are already beaten up and in the 9s / low 10s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What is the appeal of Peleton over something like Zwift?
    Zwift is a computer system, not a bike. You set it up and watch it while riding your own bike on a turbo trainer. You can communicate with friends while doing it. Kinda replicates the "out for a spin/race" feel. You have to add the cost of the bike and turbo trainer.

Peloton you get an actual bike, and has a big iPad in front of you to have someone tell ya when to go faster/harder, and shout "Wet Ass Peloton" at you (serious, search it on Twitter :eek: )

LC134 wrote: »
    Happened me in early March - basically gave away 7k. Each stock had bounced back a little.

Peloton is still a sore one to look at but it’s dropped quite a lot recently so I might re-enter if I can at previous discounted price.

My SPACs are actually mitigating the damage as they are already beaten up and in the 9s / low 10s.

Down roughly the same amount of money in the last week or so. Gambled and lost on stocks that were already 50% down, classic story of trying to catch a knife on high risk stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Yeah I'm very much back in the red, my 2020 and 2021 gains are gone. I thought I was buying the dip too but they kept dipping. Most of my stocks right now are between 25 to 45% down.. disaster

I set a target of +20% for 2021, and hit that in like the 3rd week of jan, I thought about getting out then (but not nearly seriously enough ha), after having such a good run in 2020 I really should of taken more profits, but lessions learnt, long way till the end of 2021 so that 20%+ still the target.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Zwift is a computer system, not a bike. You set it up and watch it while riding your own bike on a turbo trainer. You can communicate with friends while doing it. Kinda replicates the "out for a spin/race" feel. You have to add the cost of the bike and turbo trainer.

Peloton you get an actual bike, and has a big iPad in front of you to have someone tell ya when to go faster/harder, and shout "Wet Ass Peloton" at you (serious, search it on Twitter :eek: )
    lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭jams100

Your a bit late selling :pac:

Skillz announcing Q1 results on the 4th May. I'm hoping all the weeds (sellers) will be removed from this stock before then so I can add further to position. The problem with selling now is your going to have to wait 28days to write off losses, if they post good numbers after this massive correction it will start rising again. I guess it depends how much you need that money, this is a 3yr+ hold for me.
    Anyway I'm up ~15% for the year overall, during days like today its better to just close laptop and look back at account at 8:50pm, keeping the long term perspective, we're not day traders ;)

Edit: that's not supposed to come across in an arrogant or any sort of bad way. It's just that irrational decisions can be made after several down days. Economies are going to rip over the next 12-24 months!

I wonder how we are all doing versus the S&P 500. I'm starting to think this individual share investing should only be done with a view to taking profits whenever they appear. Going long is dangerous.

jams100 wrote: »
    Your a bit late selling :pac:

Skillz announcing Q1 results on the 4th May. I'm hoping all the weeds (sellers) will be removed from this stock before then so I can add further to position. The problem with selling now is your going to have to wait 28days to write off losses, if they post good numbers after this massive correction it will start rising again. I guess it depends how much you need that money, this is a 3yr+ hold for me.
    Anyway I'm up ~15% for the year overall, during days like today its better to just close laptop and look back at account at 8:50pm, keeping the long term perspective, we're not day traders ;)

I agree it's late. Will probably go up from here. But I've been saying that each day for the last week.

I don't plan to rebuy at this point. But who knows. There's not a lack of alternative stocks at rock bottom prices. But I'm moving to cash.

I'm 12% up overall but want to protect that. Most of my profits were from Boohoo and CCIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Anyone have an opinion on Discovery Shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

Same here,all my stocks are down 35%ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

People still bullish on Lemonade? Tempted to buy some more at this price but its been an absolute dog for me since I bought it (down 36% :)) and don't wanna throw good money after bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

I agree it's late. Will probably go up from here. But I've been saying that each day for the last week.

I don't plan to rebuy at this point. But who knows. There's not a lack of alternative stocks at rock bottom prices. But I'm moving to cash.

I'm 12% up overall but want to protect that. Most of my profits were from Boohoo and CCIV.

Did you sell boohoo ? I just bought a bit more hoping for the summer bump in UK and online

Treppen wrote: »
    Did you sell boohoo ? I just bought a bit more hoping for the summer bump in UK and online

No I'm keeping Boohoo long term. More the stuff that's dropping 10% a day. As I say, me selling is usually a time to buy haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I wonder how we are all doing versus the S&P 500. I'm starting to think this individual share investing should only be done with a view to taking profits whenever they appear. Going long is dangerous.

What? :confused:

6 wrote: »
    What? :confused:

When you are in a (if you are in) bubble stock and bought high. Obviously not in general. Like going long on gamestop at 200 dollars is probably not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭supue

Anyone have an opinion on Discovery Shares?

I was watching them last December ahead of the European launch of Discovery+. They've completed a number of bundled deals with operators across Europe (Sky, Vodafone) and some Middle Eastern operators - investor attachment to anything OTT and replacing an at risk revenue stream of traditional linear TV has been viewed favourably recently so I considered a pop in their share price but didn't pull the trigger.

They're just short of double where they were in December, and far down from when they were across Jan-Feb, but this was crazy territory. My biggest issue with them is whether their portfolio and back-catalogue (which is huge), gives them the ability to turn this into anything mainstream a-la Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, HBO Max, Disney+ which I'd consider paying for. Currently my answer is a firm no.

They're trading on a legacy brand, and need a radical rethink into mainstream production for me to consider them a buy - their traditional revenues from linear TV will decrease over time and their Eurosport brand which will merge into the Discovery+ I expect doesn't have the kind of exclusive content in markets to consider them picking up premium sports subscribers. I think they had a deal in Germany which they backed out of during Covid - Olympics and the sports they carry doesn't translate into paying subs in my view.

Think of all the Discovery channels on your TV service and if they disappeared would you consider paying €5.99 a month for it (All the Discovery sub brands, TLC, Quest, Eurosport, etc) - no chance. They'd need to convert a fairly high percentage of these to replace the lost revenue from TV operators if they were to remove them. Look at Disney+ on the other hand - their channels were well watched in the kids space and they had an impressive back-catalogue and new shows they brought to market, I just don't see that currently with Discovery.

Therefore they can complete all the bundled deals with operators which will make them look good to investors, but if this doesn't materialise to millions of customers continuing to pay for the service at the end of free trials, I struggle to see their valuation holding up.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

People still bullish on Lemonade? Tempted to buy some more at this price but its been an absolute dog for me since I bought it (down 36% :)) and don't wanna throw good money after bad.
    I started with $102. I kept buying and it kept dropping and I continued buying. Now it's 15% of my portfolio and still 20% below BEP. Yes, I am bullish on this - may be I don't have any other option. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

jams100 wrote: »

The actual problem here is the fact that the SPAC Sponsors somehow circumvented the 2 year lockup period a couple of weeks ago, selling their entire position, and facilitating the sell-off of the majority of the PIPE holdings. This could be an absolute bloodbath if its picked up on in the mainstream.

https://content.edgar-online.com/ExternalLink/EDGAR/0001104659-20-138151.html?hash=ef7aba83821860035446aa3f8b514514750ad1925dddab8e7171cd9c59e8c0ec&dest=TM2038890D1_EX#TM2038890D1_EX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Netflix share price dropped 12% the moment after close there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Flex wrote: »
    Netflix share price dropped 12% the moment after close there.

Coincidede with their results. Netflix guided that they'd add more than 6m new subscribers in Q1. They didn't even get 4m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Very close to throwing in the towel on a whole slew of stocks, that I'm currently holding. When you go from being nicely in profit to fairly serious loss on a stock in the space of a Month, its devastating

eg.

MP Materials... Was 50% in profit. Now 19% down. Share price has crashed from around $50 start of March to $27 now.

Advertisement