Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options
1679111220

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut


    GarIT wrote: »
    I don't think we ever got our R number to .4 and it was actually .93 so even if our regular covid r number was .5 in a lockdown, this variant would keep cases growing in that lockdown.

    Well it increased the R number to that when society was open in the South of England. Regardless of how infectious a disease is, a lockdown will stop it's spread. If there's nobody around you to transmit the virus to, it won't transmit. We'd need a bigger push on mask wearing and smaller numbers in supermarkets again though.

    Beverly Hills, California



  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut


    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Could there be a possible link between the UK being the first to roll out the Pfizer vaccine and the first to observe this more contagious strain of Covid?

    Probably not?

    Nah, sure if that was the case we wouldn't be seeing it come to fruition yet.

    Beverly Hills, California



  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo


    John_Rambo wrote: »
    This foolish narrative has been touted by the likes of you at every step since day one of Covid and it never happened.

    It's still not going to happen just like your predictions of the "end of the economy" and the "riots" you told us would happen.

    Stop panicking, calm down, grow up and don't lean towards scaremongering. Commerce & Freight will continue to operate and fresh food will remain available.

    But we don't even grow our own toilet paper?!??
    AHH, panic!


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT


    Well it increased the R number to that when society was open in the South of England. Regardless of how infectious a disease is, a lockdown will stop it's spread. If there's nobody around you to transmit the virus to, it won't transmit. We'd need a bigger push on mask wearing and smaller numbers in supermarkets again though.

    We have never achieved an R number of .4, it would mean our cases never go down as our R number would remain above 1.


  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty


    GreeBo wrote: »
    But we don't even grow our own toilet paper?!??
    AHH, panic!
    Are there still any 24 hour Tescos about????

    I've been hoarding cardboard from my recent house move - it may still come in useful for something I guess...

    :pac:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut


    GarIT wrote: »
    We have never achieved an R number of .4, it would mean our cases never go down as our R number would remain above 1.

    You're applying the R number increase that occured in an open society to a lockdown situation. The new variant won't increase the R number to the same extent in a lockdown situation. An increase of 0.9 in an open London doesn't mean an increase of 0.9 in a closed situation.

    Beverly Hills, California



  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle


    Beasty wrote: »
    Are there still any 24 hour Tescos about????

    I've been hoarding cardboard from my recent house move - it may still come in useful for something I guess...

    :pac:

    Sure there be many green leaves about one can use.. just make sure their the right type :D
    Ask somebody who camps.lol


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog


    Beasty wrote: »
    Are there still any 24 hour Tescos about????

    I've been hoarding cardboard from my recent house move - it may still come in useful for something I guess...

    :pac:


    You may have to reduce yourself to Lidl premium toilet paper. I know it's not something anyone wants to do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly


    Beasty wrote: »
    Are there still any 24 hour Tescos about????

    I've been hoarding cardboard from my recent house move - it may still come in useful for something I guess...

    :pac:

    Don't worry - newspapers will still be available


  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,725 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty


    fritzelly wrote: »
    Don't worry - newspapers will still be available

    Used them before - was in the 1960s mind


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo


    If this is such a serious mutation, I say IF - but with the reaction of cancelling these flights is anything to go by it is - then they need to up their messaging now and tell people. If it is this serious there is no room for emotion, just cancel christmas, if not, then they must come out and end this panic they are allowing to set in. Worst time of the year for the media to be overdoing it if this is not a big deal. Knowing Micheal he will dilly dally and make a decision Xmas Eve.

    The fact all along they would not cancel flights and now have tells me there is something amiss here and we do not have the full facts.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01


    Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    If this is such a serious mutation, I say IF - but with the reaction of cancelling these flights is anything to go by it is - then they need to up their messaging now and tell people. If it is this serious there is no room for emotion, just cancel christmas, if not, then they must come out and end this panic they are allowing to set in. Worst time of the year for the media to be overdoing it if this is not a big deal. Knowing Micheal he will dilly dally and make a decision Xmas Eve.

    The fact all along they would not cancel flights and now have tells me there is something amiss here and we do not have the full facts.

    I have this feeling as well. Either it's a total overreaction because they don't fully understand something or else they do and they are withholding it until after Christmas.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam


    Jesus I hope Boris and friends didn't lie about the importance of the new variant to cover up that they can't cope with how fast it's spreading.


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd




  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies


    Source for the 0.9? Coz that’s absolutely ****e if it’s confirmed. We are completely fecked

    Can we ban those plastic visors and do it quick?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭VG31


    Can we ban those plastic visors and do it quick?

    I've noticed a substantial drop in the number of people wearing visors in the last month or two thankfully.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies


    VG31 wrote: »
    I've noticed a substantial drop in the number of people wearing visors in the last month or two thankfully.

    I haven't, I see them everywhere.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The fact all along they would not cancel flights and now have tells me there is something amiss here and we do not have the full facts.

    Same with not cancelling flights from hotspots at the start of all this. Same with Cheltenham. And so on and on.

    "Covid-20" leads nicely into the 2021 lockdowns that were already planned/pre-announced. 70%+ vaccine compliance is required. Put two and two together. People will be begging for them come second half of next year.

    Fear is the new currency and business is booming.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo


    Same with not cancelling flights from hotspots at the start of all this. Same with Cheltenham. And so on and on.

    "Covid-20" leads nicely into the 2021 lockdowns that were already planned/pre-announced. 70%+ vaccine compliance is required. Put two and two together. People will be begging for them come second half of next year.

    Fear is the new currency and business is booming.

    This is what I'm getting at too, they are just trying to put the fear of God in people who have already suffered enough. But it's either serious or it's not and they need to make it clear how they are handling this now. Because never mind London, if Ireland goes rampant with a more contagious version we are fcked!


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    This is what I'm getting at too, they are just trying to put the fear of God in people who have already suffered enough. But it's either serious or it's not and they need to make it clear how they are handling this now. Because never mind London, if Ireland goes rampant with a more contagious version we are fcked!

    They can say/conjure whatever they want re: "strains" and "case numbers". Just put it out there through the mainstream media and it becomes 'fact' to the majority. Scare the sheep and they'll follow along. This is (and always has been) about mass vaccination programmes.

    They need to get that 70%+ compliance. I estimate roughly 40% or so here will take it voluntarily. Continued lockdowns are an effective tactic to break the rest.

    I've said before how naive it was of people to think a corner was about to be turned. This thing is just getting started. There'll be huge trouble in this country and elsewhere next year; mark my words.

    Besides the "new normal" level 3-5 restrictions; expect increased media scaremongering through 2021, ballooning "case numbers" (but still low death rates), and an enormous marketing push towards vaccination. If that doesn't work, well, you'll be coerced instead.

    All to keep you 'safe' ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers


    Jesus I hope Boris and friends didn't lie about the importance of the new variant to cover up that they can't cope with how fast it's spreading.



    It’s a way of distracting from the failure that their restrictions have been and how they changed them to soon while number were to high.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini


    They can say/conjure whatever they want re: "strains" and "case numbers". Just put it out there through the mainstream media and it becomes 'fact' to the majority. Scare the sheep and they'll follow along. This is (and always has been) about mass vaccination programmes.

    And there she blows...

    Another thread infected by the odd-balls. Pity theres not a vaccination againt this type of infection.

    All the post was missing were the usual phrases of the dimwitted, namely "nonsense" , "curtain twitchers" , " hide under your bed" .... blah de fcucking blah.

    Scarlet for ya.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Blondini wrote: »
    And there she blows...

    Another thread infected by the odd-balls. Pity theres not a vaccination againt this type of infection.

    All the post was missing were the usual phrases of the dimwitted, namely "nonsense" , "curtain twitchers" , " hide under your bed" .... blah de fcucking blah.

    Scarlet for ya.

    You are the type of person I'd like to rule over. Nice and obedient ;)

    "Two weeks to flatten the curve" :pac:

    Anyway, stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands, stay in your house etc etc... Check back in with us in 2022 and let us know you're ok.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini


    You are the type of person I'd like to rule over. Nice and obedient ;)

    "Two weeks to flatten the curve" :pac:

    Anyway, stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands, stay in your house etc etc... Check back in with us in 2022 and let us know you're ok.

    Oh dear.

    The thing I love about about Facebook etc, is that you can actually see what a fool with views like this, looks like. Look at the ridiculousness in their face. Here, it's just a username.

    Anyway, good luck (and boy do you need it).


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Blondini wrote: »
    Oh dear.

    The thing I love about about Facebook etc, is that you can actually see what a fool with views like this, looks like. Look at the ridiculousness in their face. Here, it's just a username.

    Anyway, good luck (and boy do you need it).

    Whatever you say, serf :pac:

    Good luck to you as well.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R


    Jesus I hope Boris and friends didn't lie about the importance of the new variant to cover up that they can't cope with how fast it's spreading.

    If they did it would be worse than people realise, huge ramifications not just politically


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Yuser.


    Did this come from ferries or eur channel..

    It doesn't spread through TV afaik


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k


    Vaccines need to be mandatory now. I suppose it could be a blessing in disguise, with the timing, if it will force or persuade people to get vaccinated.

    Won't happen - we won't even have enough for all the folks who want to take it for quite a while.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats


    Whatever you say, serf :pac:

    Good luck to you as well.

    I would think you`re going through your stock of tinfoil hats at a fair rate of knots pal.


Advertisement