Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK COVID variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

BREAKING NEWS - UK ministers caught off guard that other countries don't want supercovid

https://twitter.com/BBCSimonJack/status/1340752328769626112

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Britain Received the study and acted.
    The rest of Europe is now acting too

Can we stop acting like it’s a conspiracy? We’ve been dealing with this virus for a year. We found a new strain that has a stronghold in a country and we’re dealing with it

None of this is rocket science and it all makes sense

Yeah, somebody said that only 48 hours ago it was discovered that his new strain spread like the clappers, and I then praised Boris for his quick reaction in bringing in Level 4.

What did I say that was wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

GarIT wrote: »
    So much changed in the last 4 hours.

Other than that transmission has been low in schools. Something like 6 per day have been getting it in schools and 200 per day from visiting family over the last month.

I know, but I don't think it's that simple. And I'm back to test and trace sux. You can't have different rules on that in schools and anywhere else, leads to confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Risteard81 wrote: »
    A "vaccine" which was developed in mere weeks, and the safety of which absolutely cannot possibly be guaranteed long-term? And yet you want to handcuff people and forcibly inject this unknown substance into them? Utterly appalling.

You ignorance is astounding. This is what the world looks like without one vaccine. The problem with you and others like you,is that you don’t know about the likes of polio, rubella and countless other diseases and all because they no longer exist and they no longer exist due to vaccines. You don’t want it fine,at least those is us who take it , are safe from you

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Risteard81 wrote: »
    A "vaccine" which was developed in mere weeks, and the safety of which absolutely cannot possibly be guaranteed long-term? And yet you want to handcuff people and forcibly inject this unknown substance into them? Utterly appalling.

Mod:

This is not the vaccine thread, take that discussion to the appropriate thread.

I'd advise you to engage with posters in a more civil manner also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aye its the thin end of the wedge, the wet pubs will never reopen :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1340738762595332097

Turkey latest to ban flights.

This must be very worrying for the British govt. New travel bans against the UK by the hour now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Why are they in such a panic? Could it be that it's a lot more serious than the public have been told?

At least we can depend on the WHO. :rolleyes:
    The Chinese government squashed its own country's coronavirus whistleblowers and misled the public and the international community.
    In public statements, WHO repeatedly praised the Chinese government for its transparency and its effective measures at containing the coronavirus, when it actually had neither of those things.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/trump-world-health-organization-who-blame-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-4%3famp

Eurotunnel bout to close

EptaTn0XcAATjal?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Why are they in such a panic? Could it be that it's a lot more serious than the public have been told?

At least we can depend on the WHO. :rolleyes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/trump-world-health-organization-who-blame-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-4%3famp

Have you read this at all. A new varation has been found in the UK and a study found it's 70% more contagious. Even a lockdown can't reduce the numbers of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Politicians love travel bans, they look flashy and appear like they are taking action. It's all theatre, and the WHO has been calling it out from the start.

I suspect also the French are just getting a little Brexit kick in by blocking freight. "See, this is what life will be like in Brexit, what were you saying about French fishermen?".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is the projected incubation period the same for the new strain?

Are scientists even certain that it is a new strain?

This report concerns South Australia last month.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-11-18/adelaide-south-australia-coronavirus-strain-sneaky-contagious/12896262
    Eddie Holmes, an evolutionary virologist at the University of Sydney, says without seeing the circulating virus's genomic data — that is, its DNA sequence — talk of a new strain was speculative.

"Unless there is some virus genome sequence data for the strain associated with the Adelaide outbreak, I don't think there's anything much that can be said at the moment," Professor Holmes says.

"My guess is that this will be a 'standard' variant of SARS-CoV-2 that has got into a big cluster of susceptible hosts and so is able to spread rapidly, but I've not seen any data."

Bill Rawlinson, head of UNSW's virology research laboratory, agrees.

"But the genomic data are emerging and are being supplied over the next couple of days," Professor Rawlinson says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

hmmm wrote: »
    Politicians love travel bans, they look flashy and appear like they are taking action. It's all theatre, and the WHO has been calling it out from the start.

I suspect also the French are just getting a little Brexit kick in by blocking freight. "See, this is what life will be like in Brexit, what were you saying about French fishermen?".

Our government has been fighting travel bans for the whole year even though at times polls showed 60-80% of people wanted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I wonder what's going to happen to all the truck drivers trapped in the UK. Bit extreme to not allow goods through from France.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

But sadly, the rules are different. Not one of the 25 kiddos in my room wear a mask. I do. Therefore if 1 if them test positive, I'm not considered a close contact. Even though I walk around the room. The group aka Pod they sit with are considered close contacts. Nobody else in my tiny prefab are. And get this, they can all play on yard together, mixing away.
    But that's grand.
    And the 48 hr rule. My daughter's best friend has tested positive. But as it's the weekend and she hasnt seen her since Wed(when the friend was tested),the school isnt deemed a close contact. That case goes down as household. I'm keeping my kids off school for the next 2 days as a precaution. As a teacher I'm not afforded that opportunity. So Christmas jumpers and movies and I just have to pray it will all be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭snotboogie

GarIT wrote: »
    Our government has been fighting travel bans for the whole year even though at times polls showed 60-80% of people wanted one.

This. The information is very limited on the new strain (we don't even know if it actually is a new strain) and governments won't be clearer until they have more data but the travel bans are really not a good sign.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I wonder what's going to happen to all the truck drivers trapped in the UK. Bit extreme to not allow goods through from France.

Watch the food shortages kick in

More than 400,000 roll-on roll-off stuff per year in Dublin Port

• Registered Users Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭McGiver

Risteard81 wrote:
    They absolutely must not be mandatory. Do you realise how Hitleresque your ideas are?
    Many EU countries mandatory or quasi-mandatory immunisations for other viral diseases such as the measles, mumps, rubella, polio etc.

This Covid shìte is at least as bad as these viruses. There's certainly a case for at least quasi-mandatory immunisation - your freedom ends where freedoms of others are restrained. I could imagine mandatory immunisation with an option to opt-out on ethical or whatever grounds but with consequences (either monetary or e.g. restricting certain activities).

It's like a twisted reversal of March...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1340746638445453312

• Advertisement

It's like a twisted reversal of March...

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1340746638445453312

Its nuts people are still travelling about so much with the risks involved

Ive only been outside my county twice since march,one was with work,other to bring someone for an doctor appointment in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I remember the days when Covid conspiracy folks were labelled nuts and cranks.

11 months in, you would be laughed at if you publicly stated you still believed in it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

anais wrote: »
    But sadly, the rules are different. Not one of the 25 kiddos in my room wear a mask. I do. Therefore if 1 if them test positive, I'm not considered a close contact. Even though I walk around the room. The group aka Pod they sit with are considered close contacts. Nobody else in my tiny prefab are. And get this, they can all play on yard together, mixing away.
    But that's grand.
    And the 48 hr rule. My daughter's best friend has tested positive. But as it's tue weekend and she hasnt seen her since Wed(when the friend was tested),the school isnt deemd a cloae contact. That case goes down as household. I'm keeping my kids off school for the next 2 days as a precaution. As a teacher I'm noy afforded that opportunity. So Christmas jumpers and movies and I just have to pray it will all be ok.

Thanks for this. I wish you could get this across to the stubborn brigade on the main and the schools thread. They just don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Schools are not a vector for this.
    This has been repeatedly shown to be the case.

TomSweeney wrote: »

So everything we know about transmission and infection is wrong then.
    Grand.

Foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Some people seem really really desperate to blame schools despite copious national and international evidence showing that they're not a significant driver of infections.
    Are they all students and teachers wanting schools closed or why are they so passionate about it?

Some people seem really really desperate NOT to blame schools

FYP

How can they not be.....its literally people(kids,teachers,assistants) crammed into a room 8 hours a day??

I can understand the necessity/wish for schools to be open....but your point deosnt make sense upon basic anyslsis

If this more contagious form arrives here (and it will) it will run rampant through schools ....no mind the fact several schools across country arent opening tomorrow due to outbreaks already

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is not about schools. Please stick to the dedicated thread on that subject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭peterofthebr

Did this come from ferries or eur channel? The outbreak is near ports Dover and wexford..

Advertisement