Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Russman

is_that_so wrote: »
    Apparently the HSE are going to use all these initial batches as single shots only.

Has that been confirmed ? I know there was some debate back and forth on here yesterday about this and who said what.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

God news but more importantly why is he called Cormac?!

Ha not sure, maybe he looks like a Cormac?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Russman wrote: »
    Has that been confirmed ? I know there was some debate back and forth on here yesterday about this and who said what.
    I know some posters have reported it and Reid today did say 10,000 without qualifying it. Logically at this moment in time it seems the only way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Matt Hancock has just confirmed that 2 cases of the South African mutations of Covid have been detected in UK.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/south-africa-struggles-contain-second-covid-wave-new-strain

All travel from S.A banned, all arrivals from S.A within the last 2 weeks are required to quarantine.

Astrazeneca have submitted full dataset to the MHRA for review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Reid said it last Thursday at the last HSE briefing.

A few posters said it was mentioned at yesterday's press conference that 10k doses would be used for 5k people, was never mentioned yesterday according to Gavan Reilly.

Shouldn't be too long so before they go to EMA with it then.

Shouldn't be too long so before they go to EMA with it then.

Fingers crossed.

'The game-changing Oxford vaccination could get the go-ahead “just after Christmas”, a leading expert has said .

John Bell, Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford University, stressed the data behind the jab is looking “better than ever”.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency is examining the vaccine developed by Oxford University and pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/health/oxford-vaccine-approval-days-b454996.html%3famp

Moderna approved in Canada

• Advertisement

Moderna approved in Canada
    Likely this day fortnight for the EMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭Russman

'The game-changing Oxford vaccination could get the go-ahead “just after Christmas”, a leading expert has said .

John Bell, Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford University, stressed the data behind the jab is looking “better than ever”.

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency is examining the vaccine developed by Oxford University and pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/news/health/oxford-vaccine-approval-days-b454996.html%3famp

I can’t remember, have the full phase 3 results been made public or was it just the interim ?

I can’t remember, have the full phase 3 results been made public or was it just the interim ?

I believe it was the interim analysis that was published on December 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Likely this day fortnight for the EMA.

Soooooo slow in the EU. And, again, there is absolutely zero chance they won't approve it. It will cost lives, and there is no reason for it, other than bureaucracy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Soooooo slow in the EU. And, again, there is absolutely zero chance they won't approve it. It will cost lives, and there is no reason for it, other than bureaucracy.

27 countries all reviewing it probably adds to the slowness

The Moderna order has only recently been doubled to 160m which is about 55% of the Pfizer one of 300m, so we can expect a smaller allocation. It's 28 days for the 2nd shot. Oxford approval is finally a real game changer in terms of supplies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

41000 doses by the end of next week

Thats the nursing home residents first dose

Second dose will be the 40k doses the last week of Jan

In between will be another 120k for healthcare staff with second doses done throughout February

I'd hope there will be two other streams to roll out Moderna and Oxford

Feeling hopeful that the top five to seven groups could be done by March

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Stheno wrote: »

In between will be another 120k for healthcare staff with second doses done throughout February

I'm in Group 7 with my mother and my father's Group 4 so will absolutely take that :D

I'm in Group 7 with my mother and my father's Group 4 so will absolutely take that :D

I'm in the last group, my partner is 57 so he's ahead of me as are his kids in their 20s

I'm hoping we see the impact in terms of hospitalizations and deaths by mid February

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I love your optimism, hopefully you're right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nothing about actually giving it to people?

First batch arrives on the 26th yet they aren't planning on administering until the 30th. Wtf are they waiting for?? So slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Deenie78

I need posts like this in my life!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

27 countries all reviewing it probably adds to the slowness

Was it not the EMA who were slow last time, the Commission had to jog them and then the individual countries were quite quick. The EMA's original date for approval was next Tuesday.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Was it not the EMA who were slow last time, the Commission had to jog them and then the individual countries were quite quick. The EMA's original date for approval was next Tuesday.

It's important to note that Pfizer applied to the EMA for conditional marketing authorisation (which requires a lot of paper work and evidence) several weeks after it applied to the UK regulator for emergency use authorisation (which requires less evidence and is a much smaller data packet).

Obviously the UK was going to approve before the EU did.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    I love your optimism, hopefully you're right.

Imo that timelime is actually quite slow tbh

Use the Ambulance service to rollout the vaccine to nursing homes as they did to test all nursing homes

Inoculate all contact healthcare staff using occupational health

Have Oxford available for GPS for over 65s
    Use Covid test centres for essential workers

Then expand Gp and Covid test centers for groups seven and above

Use the army for distribution of Moderna and Oxford

Its project management 101 tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

It's important to note that Pfizer applied to the EMA for conditional marketing authorisation (which requires a lot of paper work and evidence) several weeks after it applied to the UK regulator for emergency use authorisation (which requires less evidence and is a much smaller data packet).

Yep, but 27 countries were mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is also a greater expertise in this area than the EU body in Britain.

The best talent Left the EU body with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see that the UK are claiming the SA variant is a further mutation of the new UK strain. I just hope this doesn’t affect the vaccines, worrying....

RTE are salivating at the mouth with all their juicy headlines tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Is there a solid reason why the distribution of the vaccines to the whole population will take a year?

It's been told that those who take the vaccine will be free of most of the restrictions, the others will have to bear with them. Isn't this a discrimination?
    There are people who might be willing to take it, but have to wait the end of 2021 to get it for some unknown reason, and meanwhile they might be excluded by certain events or venues for something that does not depend on them.
    Is this fair/legal/right?

• Advertisement

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see that the UK are claiming the SA variant is a further mutation of the new UK strain. I just hope this doesn’t affect the vaccines, worrying....

RTE are salivating at the mouth with all their juicy headlines tonight.

They can claim all they want. Their two different mutations. Further analysis taking a long time will be needed.

All indications are they won't impact vaccines, the scientist's don't seem too worried on that front seeing as the vaccine impacts multiple sites of the spike

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement