Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Got an email from INMO regarding the rollout of vaccines to healthcare staff, they said it'll be focused on nursing home residents and staff over January and February so acute hospital staff won't be until March from the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Got an email from INMO regarding the rollout of vaccines to healthcare staff, they said it'll be focused on nursing home residents and staff over January and February so acute hospital staff won't be until March from the sounds of things.

There are 25,000 nursing home residents in Ireland. Worst case scenario is 120,000 jabs per month. Doesn't compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ah ffs. If they are only planning on getting Group 1 done by the end of February, at that pace we'll be at this for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Ah ffs. If they are only planning on getting Group 1 done by the end of February, at that pace we'll be at this for years.

Disheartening to say the least, hopefully they'll somehow manage to outdo themselves....

This was the exact wording of the email.

"The government have also published their strategy on vaccine rollout. Healthcare workers will be amongst the first to receive the vaccine. Rollout in long-term care facilities (public and private) is likely to take place in January and February, including staff and patients. A small batch of vaccines may also be used in some acute hospitals by the end of this year.

The HSE are working on a model for delivery beyond that, as more vaccine supplies become available. The INMO is engaging with the HSE on this as a matter of priority, as getting the vaccine distribution right will be vitally important.

I will keep you updated on the vaccination scheme as matters progress."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,209 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MM on radio just said Jan Nursing homes and their staff and then into Feb frontline healthcare. His precise words, "January & February will be concentrated on the nursing home sector and the healthcare sector". More widespread vacination in March when supply becomes greater.

We've 30,000 people in care settings plus the staff, they'll be done through Jan and early Feb easily with 40k arriving per week.

Paitent facing healthcare staff should quite easily begin in early February.

The initial plan referenced by HSE was for a small batch roughly 5k by year end and small weekly batches, this is now 10k and Pfizer are telling them 40k per week, expect timelines to change to whatever the IMNO are saying, me thinks they're trying to stir the pot slightly

• Advertisement

There are 25,000 nursing home residents in Ireland. Worst case scenario is 120,000 jabs per month. Doesn't compute.

Theres probably about 40,000 nursing home staff too, add in the healthcare workers that regularly visit (GPs, physios) so in the region of 120,000 will be needed for the sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Theres probably about 40,000 nursing home staff too, add in the healthcare workers that regularly visit (GPs, physios) so in the region of 120,000 will be needed for the sector.

Which is a month's supply. Assuming the right logistics exist, you can give that cohort those jabs in the first two weeks of January, you can then move on to the next cohort, i.e. frontline healthcare workers, in the second two weeks. These cohorts will have some immunity and then they will receive their second jab 3-4 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

MM on radio just said Jan Nursing homes and their staff and then into Feb frontline healthcare. His precise words, "January & February will be concentrated on the nursing home sector and the healthcare sector". More widespread vacination in March when supply becomes greater.

We've 30,000 people in care settings plus the staff, they'll be done through Jan and early Feb easily with 40k arriving per week.

Paitent facing healthcare staff should quite easily begin in early February.

The initial plan referenced by HSE was for a small batch roughly 5k by year end and small weekly batches, this is now 10k and Pfizer are telling them 40k per week, expect timelines to change to whatever the IMNO are saying, me thinks they're trying to stir the pot slightly

Are these projections based on Pfizer only and if so why MM just allowing for that? surely when Oxford AZ gets approved in January changes things big time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

lbj666 wrote: »
    Are these projections based on Pfizer only and if so why MM just allowing for that? surely when Oxford AZ gets approved in January changes things big time

If Oxford gets approved in January.

I hope it does but have suspicions approval will be delayed if they want to distribute hd/fd. The numbers in that trial were tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I hope it does but have suspicions approval will be delayed if they want to distribute hd/fd. The numbers in that trial were tiny.

How long would a new trial take?

• Advertisement

lbj666 wrote: »

Would make sense to plan at the moment with whats approved no ?

Don't over project and then fail to deliver if it doesn't get approved when you think it will.

Thats up to the EMA, they could just as easily approve FD/FD and say right you've approval and come back with more in hd/fd at a later date.

Would expect fd/fd to still be approved regardless, its safe and efficient, but its up to Oxford & AstraZeneca to make the formal application for approval which should probably go in shortly with the full phase 3 data.

Based on soundings last few days it appears something has been said at EU level about approval in January.

It does look though as if the final data packages are being put together, MHRA expected to give final decision in next 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Gael23 wrote: »
    How long would a new trial take?

I think they enrolled new volunteers for hd/fd in early November so the process would be abbreviated. They wouldn't need new safety data either. The existing data from hd/fd could be used too so it wouldn't be a complete new trial.

I saw an American suggestion for March approval of hd/fd a while back.

The ema could approve fd/fd or even decide that the numbers they have for hd/fd is enough. They could decide to defer til the information on hd/fd is sufficient.

I would not want my vulnerable parents pushed into taking the lower efficacy Oxford fd/fd dosage.

I think they enrolled new volunteers for hd/fd in early November so the process would be abbreviated. They wouldn't need new safety data either. The existing data from hd/fd could be used too so it wouldn't be a complete new trial.

I saw an American suggestion for March approval of hd/fd a while back.

The ema could approve fd/fd or even decide that the numbers they have for hd/fd is enough. They could decide to defer til the information on hd/fd is sufficient.

I would not want my vulnerable parents pushed into taking the lower efficacy Oxford fd/fd dosage.

Issue with America is they won't accept data of a trial held outside the country. Hence they can't apply to FDA for HD/FD until they've a branch of the trial in the states.

I highly doubt your vulnerable parents will get anything other than Pfizer or Moderna, it'll be a clinical decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Disheartening to say the least, hopefully they'll somehow manage to outdo themselves....

This was the exact wording of the email.

"The government have also published their strategy on vaccine rollout. Healthcare workers will be amongst the first to receive the vaccine. Rollout in long-term care facilities (public and private) is likely to take place in January and February, including staff and patients. A small batch of vaccines may also be used in some acute hospitals by the end of this year."

I see some are sugarcoating it here, but no offense: that's a fcuking appalling timeline they've just officially given the Ireland's Healthcare staff

We will be in the bottom 5 of EU countries in terms of roll-out performance. Maybe even bottom 2

I hope I'm wrong

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I see some are sugarcoating it here, but no offense: that's a fcuking appalling timeline they've just officially given the Ireland's Healthcare staff

We will be in the bottom 5 of EU countries in terms of roll-out performance. Maybe even bottom 2

I hope I'm wrong

What sugar coating??

Literally look at the numbers infront of us to see how the IMNO statement doesn't add up, the number in long term care, the staff there and then compare it with 40k doses arriving per week. You'd have nursing home residents alone covered with the first jab in 1 week, 2 max, then your looking at early feb 2nd jab, same for the staff in these settings. By this stage you've already moved onto giving healthcare staff in hospitals the first jab.

Its widely published in various media from HSE and Gov even said by MM on radio today, January & Feb is care homes, its staff and frontline healthcare staff. March is when they move on down the tiers.

I've no doubt this is the IMNO playing politics here.

What sugar coating??

Literally look at the numbers infront of us to see how the IMNO statement doesn't add up

Why would they put it in official letter form and send it to Healthcare workers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Why would they put it in official letter form and send it to Healthcare workers?

Here is the text from the email. It does not state that hospital staff will not be offered the vaccine in Jan/Feb, it just states that nursing home residents and staff will receive it in Jan/Feb.

"Healthcare workers will be amongst the first to receive the vaccine. Rollout in long-term care facilities (public and private) is likely to take place in January and February, including staff and patients. A small batch of vaccines may also be used in some acute hospitals by the end of this year."

"This year" refers to 2020.

polesheep wrote: »
    "This year" refers to 2020.

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

31,000 to arrive few days after Stephens day

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1341755454746181633?s=21

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nothing about actually giving it to people?

Very good for first week, essentially hitting the ground running straight away at 40k a week

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nice to see Colm Henry in public again! Excellent, calm communicator.

Very good for first week, essentially hitting the ground running straight away at 40k a week
    That will sort out the nursing homes in one fell swoop. They seem optimistic they can maintain that level of 40K a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"Researchers have isolated a set of promising, tiny antibodies, or 'nanobodies,' against SARS-CoV-2 that were produced by a llama named Cormac. Preliminary results suggest that at least one of these nanobodies, called NIH-CoVnb-112, could prevent infections and detect virus particles by grabbing hold of SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins. In addition, the nanobody appeared to work equally well in either liquid or aerosol form, suggesting it could remain effective after inhalation."

"James Naismith, director of The Rosalind Franklin Institute and professor of structural biology at Oxford University, said: ‘These nanobodies have the potential to be used in a similar way to convalescent serum, effectively stopping progression of the virus in patients who are ill.

‘We were able to combine one of the nanobodies with a human antibody and show the combination was even more powerful than either alone."

Really promising news. Also could be used to as a diagnostic tool.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201222081257.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I hope they aren't trying to pass through the UK on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

is_that_so wrote: »
    That will sort out the nursing homes in one fell swoop. They seem optimistic they can maintain that level of 40K a week.

Well, half done.

"Researchers have isolated a set of promising, tiny antibodies, or 'nanobodies,' against SARS-CoV-2 that were produced by a llama named Cormac. Preliminary results suggest that at least one of these nanobodies, called NIH-CoVnb-112, could prevent infections and detect virus particles by grabbing hold of SARS-CoV-2 spike proteins. In addition, the nanobody appeared to work equally well in either liquid or aerosol form, suggesting it could remain effective after inhalation."

Really promising news. Also could be used to as a diagnostic tool.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201222081257.htm
    Good news but more importantly why is he called Cormac?!

• Advertisement

Well, half done.
    Apparently the HSE are going to use all these initial batches as single shots only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement