Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGW and DGW 20/21 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

From BBC:
    BREAKINGPost update
    Southampton's Premier League game with Leeds next Wednesday is postponed.
    That is because Southampton are playing Shrewsbury in a rearranged FA Cup tie the previous day.

I have 3 Leeds & 3 Saints. Fook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

they really should have scrapped the FA cup this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Probably won't BB now, pity, still have a solid 11 (for now).

Mendy (ful, lei)

Robbo (MUN BUR)
    Cancelo (CRY AVL)
    Castagne (SOU CHE)
    Coufal (BUR WBA)
    Bednarek (lei)

Salah (MUN BUR)
    Bruno (liv ful)
    Son (shu)
    Soucek (BUR WBA)

Bamford (BHA)

Meslier (BHA)
    Grealish (EVE? mci)
    DCL (avl?) - injured?
    Adams (lei)

Might use my FT to do Adams - Antonio to get another DGW player and bench Bednarek

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Athletic saying Villa v Everton set to be postponed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This season is impossible, just pot luck at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭redarmy

Villa vs Everton is set to be postponed in GW19.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

shmeee wrote: »
    Same, you couldn't have asked for better fixtures for 4 of the "big teams" this GW against Brighton, Fulham, Burnley and Palace. Like seriously!

When FHing you are going into the best possible players with the best possible fixtures and the FPL god's have delivered with this GW18.

Don't beat around the bush lads!
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    I dunno - it's not has if the big players at these teams are returning and scoring goals like they should be for their prices.

Fulham pre covid weren't as bad as people are making out here - they had 2 CS out of their last 3 games and Kane hasn't really set the world on light recently, if you take his penalties away he only has 7 goals in 17 games. He's supposed to be their main man and at 11m is he worth it? Son on the other hand has 12 goals.

KdB has 1 goal from open play this season - and that was when Sterling took a shot their hit the bar and fell to him. Sterling is actually in better form - but very few will go with him over KdB.

Auba - I don't think anything is really needed to be said about him. I have Lacazette and he is the form striker in the league atm, but there is no guarantee he'll start. In which case for being a "big team" who would you pick??

Everyone will probably have KdB - but he's just as likely to blank as he's done for most of the season.

The flip side of all this is instead maybe of looking at the big guns, would 5 at the back me a better option, with attacking minded defenders, for example, Cancelo, Tierney?

If you took Kane out for instance you could probably get a very solid set up playing a 5-4-1.

3 of the "big teams" down, and defenders have definitely shown more value than the big guns. If Fulham won that game no one could have said it was lucky - they are a different team than at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Any bench boosters out there with plans down the drain thinking of triple captaining Salah for gw 19.
    Two home games and he’ll hardly blank 5 in a row.

One thing that spooks me is their second game is last of the gw and who knows if football will still be on then!

I know the sensible thing would be to not do it and I probably won’t in the end but curious if it’s crossing anyone else’s minds...

3 of the "big teams" down, and defenders have definitely shown more value than the big guns. If Fulham won that game no one could have said it was lucky - they are a different team than at the start of the season.

I think it was a good decision to FH for a lot of teams that were down to 5ish players. If KDB takes that pen and son scores even 1 then you’re looking at decent 60+ score with a very low average.
    Didn’t work out the best in the end with the big hitters blanking though. You non FHs must be happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭siblers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Have to make a decision on a DCL replacement tonight with him dropping. I'll be priced out of Watkins.

Son/DCL to KdB/6.1m fw. If I wait I'll only have 6m and be forced to go with Adams.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

siblers wrote: »

Lol pot luck at this stage. From BB to possible -12 no idea what to do.

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    I think it was a good decision to FH for a lot of teams that were down to 5ish players. If KDB takes that pen and son scores even 1 then you’re looking at decent 60+ score with a very low average.
    Didn’t work out the best in the end with the big hitters blanking though. You non FHs must be happy!

Obv teams had to FH.

Was more than yes "Big" teams were playing poor teams, but big team players weren't really scoring big points, like KDB, Kane, - they aren't exactly banging into 2/3 goals a game or playing in teams that are for instance.

Hence given how poor the teams they were playing against the 5-4-1 formation would provide more value with attach minded defences.

The FH chip is very hard to quantify as been successful or not - teams with out 5, were never going to not play it - therefore you kinda have to compare it with an alternative team or strategy/formation that you were going to pick but chose not to. Some teams went double united and city defence for instance.

siblers wrote: »

Is there are rule in the PL that games have to be announced before a deadline so to speak, or could they just announce this after the Saturday deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,085 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think if Villa v Newcastle was scheduled by Saturday morning, I would reconsider my idea to Free Hit this week.

I find it surprising that they would be. Villa v Newcastle is gonna have no shortage of slots, neither will Villa v Everton. Neither in Europe.

Those games wouldn’t be competing for Spurs for slots either. The only way that would be the case is if Spurs went out early from the Europa League, in which case Spurs don’t have a fixture problem anyway.

Is there are rule in the PL that games have to be announced before a deadline so to speak, or could they just announce this after the Saturday deadline?

I don’t think there’s a rule. They cancelled a game and rescheduled it within the same gameweek recently. Was it Liverpool or Man City v West Ham?

Any bench boosters out there with plans down the drain thinking of triple captaining Salah for gw 19.
    Two home games and he’ll hardly blank 5 in a row.

One thing that spooks me is their second game is last of the gw and who knows if football will still be on then!

I know the sensible thing would be to not do it and I probably won’t in the end but curious if it’s crossing anyone else’s minds...

Considering it, but don’t let that influence you, I TC’d Andy Carroll one year and Auba last year before the COVID break. 1 point for both.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Probably won't BB now, pity, still have a solid 11 (for now).

Mendy (ful, lei)

Robbo (MUN BUR)
    Cancelo (CRY AVL)
    Castagne (SOU CHE)
    Coufal (BUR WBA)
    Bednarek (lei)

Salah (MUN BUR)
    Bruno (liv ful)
    Son (shu)
    Soucek (BUR WBA)

Bamford (BHA)

Meslier (BHA)
    Grealish (EVE? mci)
    DCL (avl?) - injured?
    Adams (lei)

Might use my FT to do Adams - Antonio to get another DGW player and bench Bednarek
    Chelsea have a COVID outbreak in their youth set up.

patmac wrote: »
    Considering it, but don’t let that influence you, I TC’d Andy Carroll one year and Auba last year before the COVID break. 1 point for both.

Ha your due a haul from TC so! Another thing with this mad season is I’m wondering could there be a triple gw!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Ha your due a haul from TC so! Another thing with this mad season is I’m wondering could there be a triple gw!

Villa triple gw, could be very interesting, TC grealish

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

So I’m not sure whether to play the BB for next game week. Leeds postponement has scuppered plans. I still have 2nd wildcard so could activate that before the weekend. Any thoughts? Number of games in brackets

Martinez (2)
    Justin (2)
    Robertson ( 2)
    Chilwell (2)
    ESR ( 1)
    Soucek ( 2)
    Fernandez ( 2)
    Salah (2)
    Son (1)
    Vardy 2
    Bamford (1)

McCarthy ( 1)
    Adams ( 1)
    KWP ( 1)
    Dallas ( 1)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

Sterling really could have saved it for me tonight if he could, as a professional footballer, put the ball in the net

Have a
    One free transfer for the next GW and with DCL in my lineup it will be wasted switching him. Nut to who? with so many DGW

GGMU - humble in celebration

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Half a million green arrow and I'm still inordinately pissed off at Reguilon nicking that bonus point off Kane (c). :D

FPL first world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭shmeee

My BB does not look anyway appealing anymore :(

s9wr6oj.png

Poor Balbuena needs to go also along with a few others (aka McTominay) so don't know what to do.

TC on Salah could be an answer.... Hmmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

TimesArrow wrote: »
    So I’m not sure whether to play the BB for next game week. Leeds postponement has scuppered plans. I still have 2nd wildcard so could activate that before the weekend. Any thoughts? Number of games in brackets

Martinez (2)
    Justin (2)
    Robertson ( 2)
    Chilwell (2)
    ESR ( 1)
    Soucek ( 2)
    Fernandez ( 2)
    Salah (2)
    Son (1)
    Vardy 2
    Bamford (1)

McCarthy ( 1)
    Adams ( 1)
    KWP ( 1)
    Dallas ( 1)

I’ve got the exact same bench as you and I’ve also got 8 players in my starting lineup with 2 games. Personally I’m going to save my BB.

Hard to predict how Leicester v Southampton will go but it doesn’t seem like a good enough fixture to risk a BB on 3 Saints players. If only Southampton had a DGW, then I probably would chance it

I think a point worth a mention is that the Villa v Newcastle news has only so far been reported by the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

shmeee wrote: »
    My BB does not look anyway appealing anymore :(

s9wr6oj.png

Poor Balbuena needs to go also along with a few others (aka McTominay) so don't know what to do.

TC on Salah could be an answer.... Hmmmm!

The thing is on a non DGW a home game with Brighton would be one of the better BB.

I was initially thinking of going without BB, but if the Villa Newcastle game is on, I might just go ahead and do it. Would have McCarthy, Dallas, Bamford, Watkins - which is as good as I can have outside of a DGW.

Also it means I can downgrade my bench for the rest of the year and focus money on the first 11/12

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

ShaneU wrote: »
    This season is impossible, just pot luck at this stage
    It's definitely more than that. There's an obvious strategy to help your cause this year:
    1. Be adaptable in your plans
    2. No early transfers
    3. Have a full bench
    4. Don't have more than 2 players on any given team
    5. Don't have Captain and Vice playing in the same game
    6. Try to avoid having 4+ players in the one match

We've been dealing with cancellations for 10 gameweeks now, I've no sympathy for people still getting caught out with triples from a team and Martin, Mitchell, Kilman and Brewster on their bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

CSF wrote: »
    I think a point worth a mention is that the Villa v Newcastle news has only so far been reported by the Daily Mail.

In fairness Ben Crelin has mentioned it as well. Some of the FPL people I follow are on the ball with these fixture re-arrangements. (They called the possibility of Fulham Spurs match being moved to this week , last week) So if they can see an opportunity for this to be looked at surely the game schedulers can too. Interesting to see how it plays out.

I was looking at selling Grealish to free up funds. Need to get KDB in. Don't want to lose one of Kane/Son now either with the possibility of Spurs having a double, as remote chance as it may be. Hopefully we get some news before the deadline

Advertisement