Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Glico Man wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the new regulations coming in next season will we see any further interest from Manufacturers or private teams looking to come in.

I remember reading something a year or two ago about Campos Racing trying to get back in. They'd a bid the same year Haas did, with the latter getting the nod. Wonder if Dave Richards and Prodrive still be interested too. More moving chicanes or not, I would like to see more cars on the grid.

The budget cap will certainly make it a bit more of an attractive prospect.

Isn't there a lump sum new teams have to pay to get in?
    They would want to be very committed and confident they could start as a strong midfielder eyeing championships with three years you would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd wonder if the new regulations coming in next season will we see any further interest from Manufacturers or private teams looking to come in.

I remember reading something a year or two ago about Campos Racing trying to get back in. They'd a bid the same year Haas did, with the latter getting the nod. Wonder if Dave Richards and Prodrive still be interested too. More moving chicanes or not, I would like to see more cars on the grid.

The budget cap will certainly make it a bit more of an attractive prospect.

They will be waiting for the rule change for 2025 around what kind of PUs they will run.

That is the biggest deterrent for new entries right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I would disagree that F1 has no road relevance in terms of real world safety equipment. I can't point to any one thing in particular but I'm pretty confident that the safety tech developed after the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna and to an extent Jules Bianchi is filtering its way into the cars we drive today. Imagine Halo materials in the survival cell of your cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

flazio wrote: »
    I would disagree that F1 has no road relevance in terms of real world safety equipment. I can't point to any one thing in particular but I'm pretty confident that the safety tech developed after the deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna and to an extent Jules Bianchi is filtering its way into the cars we drive today. Imagine Halo materials in the survival cell of your cars.

Cars are basically one big halo as it is, with added airbags etc.

Carbon Fibre is a very exotic material to find on any car, and if found it is always a very premium price. Same with the brake tech and engine modes etc.

The FIA do indeed push for safety, but I would say it is a stretch to say F1 does when you break it down etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hijpo wrote: »
    Isn't there a lump sum new teams have to pay to get in?
    They would want to be very committed and confident they could start as a strong midfielder eyeing championships with three years you would imagine.

It's 200m dollars entry fee to a new team who doesn't buy an existing team. You ll probably get the factory with an existing team so a new team would probably need to get a factory too. Looking at the guts of half a billion as opposed to 300m dollars to get up and running.

They really don't want more than 10 teams and I doubt they will get anyone willing to pay the premium to create a new team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Cars are basically one big halo as it is, with added airbags etc.

Carbon Fibre is a very exotic material to find on any car, and if found it is always a very premium price. Same with the brake tech and engine modes etc.

The FIA do indeed push for safety, but I would say it is a stretch to say F1 does when you break it down etc.

Aluminium is also used a lot more in engine blocks since its use in F1. Also body panels.

Other road tech advancement from F1 tech would be ABS, traction control and semi-automatic gearboxes.

Funnily enough I'd been reading about this topic several weeks back out of boredom and tyre technology has also made advancements due to what manufacturers would see when F1 tyres reach their limits. Dual overhead cam shafts were developed in the car industry after early F1 cars had adopted it to allow for increased airflow.

You can see the advancement of suspension and KERS as well in modern cars.

Aluminium is also used a lot more in engine blocks since its use in F1. Also body panels.

Other road tech advancement from F1 tech would be ABS, traction control and semi-automatic gearboxes.

Funnily enough I'd been reading about this topic several weeks back out of boredom and tyre technology has also made advancements due to what manufacturers would see when F1 tyres reach their limits. Dual overhead cam shafts were developed in the car industry after early F1 cars had adopted it to allow for increased airflow.

You can see the advancement of suspension and KERS as well in modern cars.

For a lot of those things they happen to be "hits" while plenty of misses didn't make their way in. Most (aluminium especially) were going to happen anyway. KERS was a nonsense and outdated and limited when it was introduced. The limits were set so low that teams had it fully formed from the start.
    I'd love to know what Dunlop and Bridgestone learn from Pirelli tyres running low pressures at 200mph and pretty much designed to fail compared to their tyres at 100mph.
    Traction control was in development in different places though the late 80s and early 90s developments in F1 were amazing given the technical limitations of the world as it was at the time. How much of that carries to a Focus with 150bhp and FWD is pretty debatable though.
    *EDIT* ABS standard on Mercedes since 1987 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

More moving chicanes or not, I would like to see more cars on the grid.
    As would I, but I want quality over quantity.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    As would I, but I want quality over quantity.

My understanding is that this period is the most competitive overall field (front to back) that F1 has ever been. They regularly had teams who failed to make the 107% qualifying time and even had pre qualifying to weed out the really, really slow cars. This weeks pole lap was 90 seconds and the slowest car to qualify this weekend was Mazepin 93.3 which i about 3.6% slower than Max. 107% of pole would be 96.3 seconds.

More cars might be nice to have but not if they dilute the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Unsettled weather this weekend in Styria with thunder storms happening this evening, a bit wet over the next few days with more Thunder on Friday. It might ease off for Sunday but we'll see. I'd expect a session to be cancelled if the chopper can't fly.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So the FIA now want to slow down pitstops from the Hungarian race in August onwards. How ridiculous is that?
    The whole point of an F1 potato is to get the car in and out as quick as possible and with as little time as possible wasted for the driver.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-slow-down-formula-1-pitstops-from-hungarian-gp/6604158/

Are the FIA becoming a nanny organisation now or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

AMKC wrote: »
    So the FIA now want to slow down pitstops from the Hungarian race in August onwards. How ridiculous is that?
    The whole point of an F1 potato is to get the car in and out as quick as possible and with as little time as possible wasted for the driver.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-to-slow-down-formula-1-pitstops-from-hungarian-gp/6604158/

Are the FIA becoming a nanny organisation now or something?

Merc and Lewis are being beaten hands down, do you expect regulations to remain the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

vectra wrote: »
    Merc and Lewis are being beaten hands down, do you expect regulations to remain the same ?

It would be interesting to hear who made the complaints.

So is it a case that these times delays will be implemented through controls or are they what the FIA want to see from teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hijpo wrote: »
    It would be interesting to hear who made the complaints.

So is it a case that these times delays will be implemented through controls or are they what the FIA want to see from teams?

I read it would be done through wheel sensors and the wheel gun.
    Something like, when the last wheel gun is used, there will be a timed delay before the car realease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Considering what is going on in the UK atm this is a bonkers decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭barryribs

Is anyone using F1 TV without using a VPN for the archives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

It’s hard to look at this new rule change that’s come completely out of the blue to slow down pitstops, immediately after Red Bull win a race on the back of their consistently faster pitstops than Mercedes, and come to the conclusion that it’s anything other than blatant corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

"it is not thought that the FIA move is aimed at a specific outfit"

556826.png
    :rolleyes:

2021_pit_stops_team_filtered_1_7.svg

Really nice image of all the teams' pitstops sop far his year. Red bull consistently faster then mercedes but not by much. 2 tenths of a second on average. I presume they have excluded any major outliers.

• Advertisement

2021_pit_stops_team_filtered_1_7.svg

Really nice image of all the teams' pitstops sop far his year. Red bull consistently faster then mercedes but not by much. 2 tenths of a second on average. I presume they have excluded any major outliers.
    https://f1bythenumbers.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/2021_pit_stops_driver_filtered_1_7.png

If you break it down by driver it gets more interesting - Verstappen actually a lot quicker than Perez, while Bottas tends to be quicker than Hamilton. Verstappen over half a second advantage on Hamilton on average.

I assume this can only be down to consistency when stopping at their marks. Amazing that Raikkonen is one of the fastest while Giovanizzi is one of the slowest.

BBC have been told it was brought in after Mick Schumachers unsafe release in Baku.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Apparently there's a new drive to survive on Nikita Mazipin, it's a spin off series

Good joke, but shame on you for stealing it from David Croft, who in turn stole it from his own son. And I'm sure he didn't think it up himself :pac:

BBC have been told it was brought in after Mick Schumachers unsafe release in Baku.

Makes perfect sense as a reason to punish teams who make fast pitstops given that Haas routinely have the slowest pitstops on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Good joke, but shame on you for stealing it from David Croft, who in turn stole it from his own son. And I'm sure he didn't think it up himself :pac:

You must be a joy at dinner parties

quokula wrote: »
    Makes perfect sense as a reason to punish teams who make fast pitstops given that Haas routinely have the slowest pitstops on the grid.

Slow or not they still released Mick with a loose wheel, they did the same to Grosjean and Magnuessen in Australia a few years ago and a cameraman was injured by a loose wheel flying off Mark Webbers car back in the day. If there's a risk it could happen again then it has to be addressed before an incident happens not as a response to one.

Slow or not they still released Mick with a loose wheel, they did the same to Grosjean and Magnuessen in Australia a few years ago and a cameraman was injured by a loose wheel flying off Mark Webbers car back in the day. If there's a risk it could happen again then it has to be addressed before an incident happens not as a response to one.

So the answer to this is to impose a rule that won’t affect Haas in the slightest, since their stops are already slow, but will impede the current championship leading team who run their pitstops like clockwork and have not had any incident of that type?

And to suddenly change the rule out of the blue mid-season right after a race where this performance helped them win with an undercut, despite the fact that the issues you describe have been a known issue ever since refuelling stopped years and years ago and they’ve never thought to introduce it between seasons before? That doesn’t seem remotely suspicious to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

If Croft keeps his slagging up, I wouldn't be surprised to see him mysteriously poisoned :pac:

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    You must be a joy at dinner parties

Cheer up buddy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement