Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's race week!

I think you'll find it's actually Rawe Ceek!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

It's race week!

Is the next race not the 6May weekend.

It's Moto GP this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Joeface wrote: »
    Is the next race not the 6May weekend.

It's Moto GP this weekend

Nope, it’s Portugal this weekend

well its seems I am out of sorts this Monday . not sure how I have weeks wrong . now to adjust work plan to be WFH on Friday .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Joeface wrote: »
    well its seems I am out of sorts this Monday . not sure how I have weeks wrong . now to adjust work plan to be WFH on Friday .

Happens to the best of us! I’m looking forward to it! It’s an open and fast track

• Advertisement

Happens to the best of us! I’m looking forward to it! It’s an open and fast track

Empty house this weekend , all the work I had planned to do has not to be put aside cause I don't like multi tasking. Cannot decide if that is a good or bad thing .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,932 ✭✭✭✭flazio

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think you'll find it's actually Rawe Ceek!!

For anyone who doesn't understand what's going on.
    https://twitter.com/MercedesAMGF1/status/1386610987676098565?s=19
    Technically that could be Rawe Cefk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

What’s peoples view on the sprint race for qualifying?

Have attached the format.

I’m torn but will give it a chance. I quite like new format but F1 does tend to change it up to see what works.

Who knows maybe it will add to the drama.

3 sprint race weekends confirmed.

In response to Adam, we won't know unless we try.

Question is though, will Channel 4 get an extra show for those weekends?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sprint weekend details:

Friday:

60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only

Saturday:

60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely

100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Sunday:

Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »
    3 sprint race weekends confirmed.

In response to Adam, we won't know unless we try.

Question is though, will Channel 4 get an extra show for those weekends?

I suppose on one hand it means we pretty much have 2 races during the weekend. On the other hand people may struggle to watch the qualifying for the first race in the old format with it being on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Adamocovic wrote: »
    What’s peoples view on the sprint race for qualifying?

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Anything that diminishes the importance of the Grand Prix is bad. Which this does by being a second race (double race weekends belong in feeder series only), and by giving points for something other than race finishing position. (Yes, I really hate the point for fastest lap.)

Friday qualifying was tried before and was a failure, because most people can't watch live.

For a sport introducing spending caps its an awful lot of risk . I currently disk like it . But haven't seen it in action in F1 so too early to to judge fairly

I do however prefer my idea. F

First race of the year and First race after the summer break full qualification with all cars. Every race after this it's the top 10 based on classification that get to go for pole. The rest 11-20 start where they finished the previous race. DNF included.
    This allows the lower teams less running on there engines , less spending and can focus on race car more than one lap specials .
    It also gives a reward for finishing the points.
    It's basically a ladder then if you can get I to the top 10 you can try improve your place in qualifing to keep it in the top 10 .

I have explained it terribly but it's right in my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

antodeco wrote: »
    Sprint weekend details:

Friday:

60-minute First Practice in the morning with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Normal Qualifying format in the afternoon with five soft tyre sets available only

Saturday:

60-minute Second Free Practice in the morning with one set of tyres for teams to choose freely

100km Sprint Qualifying in the afternoon with two sets of tyres for teams to choose freely

Sunday:

Full distance Grand Prix with two remaining sets of tyres

Well Pirelli are either going to love it or hate it anyway.
    Me I will give it a go but think I prefer the way it is at the moment. Why try to fix something if it isn't broken?
    What weekends will it be or have they even decided that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

As it is pointless and demolishes qualifying as Friday most of us work. And without top 10 in reverse even more pointless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Annoying the Qualifying is on a Friday. Do we know what Grand Prix have the sprint races yet?

I'm hearing Monza and Silverstone.

Monza might work, considering the farce we had a couple of years ago.

Ms

Oh please not Silverstone. It's the only race I will get to see live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

AMKC wrote: »
    Oh please not Silverstone. It's the only race I will get to see live.

And now you get 2 races live.

Whats not to like.

More races is good for me.

I'm not going to slate the idea just yet.

To their credit they ran it by the teams who were on board of at least testing it out this year. At least they just didn't implement it as a permanent change and seem to be just experimenting first to see feedback from fans and teams.

Let's see how it goes. Might be a minority but I think Liberty have been trying to make the right moves since taking over F1. Happy to let them give this a shot to see how it goes.

• Advertisement
    Ms

afatbollix wrote: »
    And now you get 2 races live.

Whats not to like.

More races is good for me.

We do not even know what they have agreed with Channel 4 yet. It could be just highlights of the sprint race and if that is the case I would just prefer it the way it is now and then the race on Sunday live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The only thing I dislike about the sprint race as currently planned is that it's not really going to do anything in terms of mixing up the results unless the top teams have a failure or something. I'd have much preferred a sprint race where the grid is formed in reverse championship position instead of qualifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

20 laps on low fuel and new tyres, at least we’ll see the cars being pushed rather than managing pace.

Totally missed that coming in, it sounds awful. Won't be able to watch qualifying either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

TheChrisD wrote: »
    The only thing I dislike about the sprint race as currently planned is that it's not really going to do anything in terms of mixing up the results unless the top teams have a failure or something. I'd have much preferred a sprint race where the grid is formed in reverse championship position instead of qualifying.

I think that would be class. No chance of a procession which is the big risk with a sprint race. The risk of embarrassment to f1 if they did a sprint race in somewhere like Monaco or Melbourne, and there was almost no overtaking. Everyone on the same tyres, the same number of laps old might show the emperor had no clothes.

But reverse grids would be guaranteed action. Fans would go bananas about it though. Mostly due to delusions about the grandeur of f1 and purity of racing and the artificial nature if reverse grids (as if f1 wasn't an entirely artificially invented sport).

The sprint race is likely to be a trial which is set up to fail and then they can say "see, told you it would be no good"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'm actually really looking forward to it. My only fear is if drivers don't push as hard for fear of damaging the car. I know Parc Fermé is open for the whole weekend which is good, but my concern is that with still only the same number of engines, gearboxes, etc, the teams will still probably manage their cars to make sure no additional stresses on the components

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

AMKC wrote: »
    We do not even know what they have agreed with Channel 4 yet. It could be just highlights of the sprint race and if that is the case I would just prefer it the way it is now and then the race on Sunday live.

The whole race weekend is live on C4. Practice was on More 4.

So you can be assured it will be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A lot of people all over social media have rubbished the sprint race. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the bloomin thing.

Potential to be amazing or terrible but we'll see what the weekend brings

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

A lot of people all over social media have rubbished the sprint race. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the bloomin thing.

Potential to be amazing or terrible but we'll see what the weekend brings

It will probably be a bit... meh. They will be all on the same fuel, same tyres which are which are same age and they will be stratified by quali speed. There isn't much scope for mismatches. If they're at a track where a car needs to be a second faster to overtake the car in front, then there isn't likely to be much scope for a lot of mismatches in speed by that amount.

In a full race you have differences in strategy and tyres and tyre age and stint length. But in a sprint race those things are all gone. As with most things in F1, it was designed by committee and isn't really going to be a big change at all. It will probably be OK, with a few overtakes. And there might be some intrigue if tyres start going off in the last few laps. Then teams adapt and start being very Conservative to make sure they don't run out of tyres.

Reverse grids would have been the proper way to do it. There's real jeopardy in the reverse grid and real scope for mismatches.

• Advertisement

20 laps on low fuel and new tyres, at least we’ll see the cars being pushed rather than managing pace.

I doubt they'll be particularly pushed. Major issue with the tyres is that they overheat rather than just get used up. Push for a lap and the temps go too high and if you're lucky you have to cruise for 2 laps to cool them down, unlucky and they're gone.

The only aspect I like about the change is that teams will have far less time to get up to speed each weekend which could mix things up a little bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement