Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

I was gonna describe the current cars as buses or trucks so for a laugh decided to look up the size of NASCAR cars. F1 cars are longer and ever so slightly wider than those monstrosities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

A lot of people all over social media have rubbished the sprint race. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the bloomin thing.

Potential to be amazing or terrible but we'll see what the weekend brings

I agree it may surprise us, remember when qualy was an hour-long and all we really got was ten minutes action at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

u5zodeswmqv61.jpg
    This just demonstrates that fact. Thing is, when Monaco GP was established, I'd say it was a fantastic race with lots of opportunities to overtake, mainly due in part to the size of the cars versus the width of the track rather than the procession/race of attrition it is currently
    I was gonna describe the current cars as buses or trucks so for a laugh decided to look up the size of NASCAR cars. F1 cars are longer and ever so slightly wider than those monstrosities.

You don't even have to go that far back, the historic Monaco race at the weekend the cars look all over the place, squirreling out of corners, snaking under braking and the rest. The current cars aren't super-easy to drive but because of the size they don't look nervous or twitchy. The cars even 15 years ago looked like they could take off at any second.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Why is reverse so hard to get in a Formula 1 car and why do the green Aston Martin cars sometimes look like they are black?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the sprint race should be good but wont; mainly because short race like this are designed to increase aggressiveness, in other categories this can work but in f1 it wont because of:

fuel mgt
    part / part wear / part life mgt
    contact results in breakages and racing inability rather than just dented bodywork or similar with little impact as can be seen in *certain* other categories
    politics - some BS will crop up

it'll just be another F1 ****show of stupidness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

the sprint race should be good but wont; mainly because short race like this are designed to increase aggressiveness, in other categories this can work but in f1 it wont because of:

fuel mgt
    part / part wear / part life mgt
    contact results in breakages and racing inability rather than just dented bodywork or similar with little impact as can be seen in *certain* other categories
    politics - some BS will crop up

it'll just be another F1 ****show of stupidness

I was thinking, what is the point of a sprint race to decide grid position? The mercs know they can finish 9th and breeze past everyone else and get to 2nd handy enough in the GP.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I could see Turkey featuring again this year.

I called it. This race track is the new super-sub.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I called it. This race track is the new super-sub.

Turkish delight :D

• Advertisement

Did I read somewhere that this race is on Channel 4? Didn’t think they had any at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Turkish delight :D

Hopefully it rains! I just watched the highlights from last year the start was bonkers.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Did I read somewhere that this race is on Channel 4? Didn’t think they had any at all.

C4 have highlights at 7.30pm not showing it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just the British GP is the race weekend that is live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Just so I'm not missing a trick here, sky are still advertising the weekend as FP1, 2 on Friday and fp3, qualy on Saturday but I need to record FP2 for qualy and qualy for the sprint race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Hijpo wrote: »
    Just so I'm not missing a trick here, sky are still advertising the weekend as FP1, 2 on Friday and fp3, qualy on Saturday but I need to record FP2 for qualy and qualy for the sprint race?
    No sprint race this weekend. First one is Silverstone I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Top Dog wrote: »
    No sprint race this weekend. First one is Silverstone I believe

Jesus i was sure it was this weekend given all the talk and driver comment around it.

Further to my moaning about sports media a couple of videos that have come up recently:

1) McLaren are no threat to Mercedes and Red Bull. Or no more than they were last season. They'll flatter to deceive but in race they're still around a second a lap off.

2) 13 years is a long time for a conspiracy theory like that to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Since Drive to Survive 90% of F1 Youtubers are just utter clickbait or misinformed incorrect tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

pjohnson wrote: »
    Since Drive to Survive 90% of F1 Youtubers are just utter clickbait or misinformed incorrect tripe.

Just like Drive to Survive!

• Advertisement

The Race started off ok last year or the year before when they broke off but they've really gone to ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

Watching Ted's notebook and he was saying toto talking about Volkswagen coming in soon, the known secret is that it will be red bull Porsche, will be interesting to see them go up against Mercedes, bags of money to throw into it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Santan wrote: »
    Watching Ted's notebook and he was saying toto talking about Volkswagen coming in soon, the known secret is that it will be red bull Porsche, will be interesting to see them go up against Mercedes, bags of money to throw into it

When does he think this will happen and if so what will happen with the Honda engine as that Red Bull currently use and have a deal with Honda to take over them next year?
    I do not think Honda would be to happy with Porsche getting to use them and backwards engineering them unless they were part of the deal that Red Bull made with Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The talk is that VAG will come in when the new engine formula does (2025 I think?). They’re apparently involved in the working group to design the new engine regs.

Given that RB are investing significantly, it could be a partnership in branding rights only with VAG, or maybe a technical partnership, rather than RB being a typical customer team.

Or maybe they co-develop the engine, and enter a full works team alongside Red Bull and Alpha Tauri?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Santan

AMKC wrote: »
    When does he think this will happen and if so what will happen with the Honda engine as that Red Bull currently use and have a deal with Honda to take over them next year?
    I do not think Honda would be to happy with Porsche getting to use them and backwards engineering them unless they were part of the deal that Red Bull made with Honda.

He just said that toto said in a few years time and he asked Horner who said he knew nothing about it, which is to be expected, maybe its just red bull hedging their bets, if after 2 or 3 years and their own engine does not get them wins, maybe they can get VW on board. As another poster said, they might get involved with branding rights and help with some technology and will be in a better position to go with an engine in 2025 if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

It doesn't make a lot go sense for anyone new to come in like VAG and spend 100s of millions on a new engine. If there is to be a new engine formula then it needs to have a budget cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

The funny coincidence will be that the first race of VW/Porsche in F1 will be on the same day as the kickoff off the first round of the superleague.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Harika wrote: »
    The funny coincidence will be that the first race of VW/Porsche in F1 will be on the same day as the kickoff off the first round of the superleague.

VW have always said they would only enter F1 if the technology is transferable to its road cars. Maybe they plan on putting a big wing on the back of the Passat but Audi resuming WEC in 2023 would suggest their focus is on electric or hydrogen power so you're probably right with the date

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Mazepin gets a point on his licence for ignoring blue flags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Mazepin gets a point on his licence for ignoring blue flags.

Good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement