Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

My own thoughts is maybe phil is a little bit cleverer than i thought.he s trying to carve out a retail business and is using the channel to platform it.they had to do something as the pure beef game is very tight.on the contracting side i think they reflect something that happens around the country.contractors are keeping most of the farms in the country afloat, not the other way around and the hours that they put in is not reflected in the rates or respect given to them.if they didnt do it alot of farmers who get very high and mighty about price,turning up and a few little things go wrong would collapse in a heap if they had do that work themselves.love phil myself and the way the family go about their business.not trying to keep with the jones anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What i find sad about watching Farmer Phil is the route their farm has gone over the years. They've gone from breeding purebred limousin and finishing continental type cattle to now getting jex type calves for free. In a way, its a reflection on the overall beef situation in Ireland.

Their honesty is refreshing too. Too many in the ag game only willing to show brand new shiny equipment and pampered cattle.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Ah, sure sometimes lads just like to have things...

You had more machines than I expected in the 'oldest machinery' thread Kev ;):)

More than id like around the place....

K.G. wrote: »
    My own thoughts is maybe phil is a little bit cleverer than i thought.he s trying to carve out a retail business and is using the channel to platform it.they had to do something as the pure beef game is very tight.on the contracting side i think they reflect something that happens around the country.contractors are keeping most of the farms in the country afloat, not the other way around and the hours that they put in is not reflected in the rates or respect given to them.if they didnt do it alot of farmers who get very high and mighty about price,turning up and a few little things go wrong would collapse in a heap if they had do that work themselves.love phil myself and the way the family go about their business.not trying to keep with the jones anyway

Once their following grows an account can make a nice few quid from Youtube. Thats without paid partnerships etc. I know a lad who makes digger videos on youtube and he gave up the day job and is concentrating on the content creation full time. I would imagine the editing of the videos is extremely time consuming though.

the below link lets you look at the potential youtube income generated by an account.

https://statsmash.com/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Once their following grows an account can make a nice few quid from Youtube. Thats without paid partnerships etc. I know a lad who makes digger videos on youtube and he gave up the day job and is concentrating on the content creation full time. I would imagine the editing of the videos is extremely time consuming though.

the below link lets you look at the potential youtube income generated by an account.

Apparently you have to post twice a week to maintain the base, and that's hard to do with quality content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't really want to pull all the farmer phil posts out into a new thread, but I think some comments are a bit harsh. Now I realize when you put your self up on the youtube pedestal not all the comments are going to be worth reading, you'd want a thick skin.

Just remember that when you post something up here anyone can read it, including phil.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Figerty wrote: »
    Apparently you have to post twice a week to maintain the base, and that's hard to do with quality content.

Be a fair bit of work involved in that as well as doing a normal days work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

blue5000 wrote: »
    I don't really want to pull all the farmer phil posts out into a new thread, but I think some comments are a bit harsh. Now I realize when you put your self up on the youtube pedestal not all the comments are going to be worth reading, you'd want a thick skin.

Just remember that when you post something up here anyone can read it, including phil.

Well Blue. Every one of his clips and ifarmwefarms on you tube are watched in this house. Young lads love watching them. Fair play to all those lads who show off their set ups and yards. Most lads including myself would set a row of hedges so nobody would be looking back your mouth. If they are making a few bob from them all the better as we aren't making enough from the bread and butter in the first place.

Well Blue. Every one of his clips and ifarmwefarms on you tube are watched in this house. Young lads love watching them. Fair play to all those lads who show off their set ups and yards. Most lads including myself would set a row of hedges so nobody would be looking back your mouth. If they are making a few bob from them all the better as we aren't making enough from the bread and butter in the first place.

Ifarm Wefarm is fierce tidy in everything he does. My missus is a photographer and reckons his editing skills are top notch too. Fixes everything as soon as theres any sort of issue with it.The definition of an anti rooter

Yeah maybe so but when you look at grassmen you wouldn't be long figuring out the money is in the merchandise not the videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

What i find sad about watching Farmer Phil is the route their farm has gone over the years. They've gone from breeding purebred limousin and finishing continental type cattle to now getting jex type calves for free. In a way, its a reflection on the overall beef situation in Ireland.

They aren't taking calves for free. Said this year calves were abit dearer. They prob do deals if they spread slurry on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

visatorro wrote: »
    They aren't taking calves for free. Said this year calves were abit dearer. They prob do deals if they spread slurry on the farm.

They're probably talking about fresian bulls, Noone is paying anything for jersey cross bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

They're probably talking about fresian bulls, Noone is paying anything for jersey cross bulls

I asked him once on YouTube, what he was paying for jex types and he said he got them for free.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭mengele

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Youd think their was a fortune been made out of beef farming the way lads go to town on the chap, he"s after carving out a great little earner for himself and is blowing the likes of grassmen and farmflix out of the water re views on videos on youtube, the shiny outfits and new gear just dosent sell like farmer Phil and his endless tale of woe videos

Shiny kit is very boring at this stage. For awhile thats all that was on YouTube. Its this older stuff and tales about it thats pure gold in my mind. Would rather watch 30 mins of older stuff and breakdowns, blockages etc than 30 mins of the new stuff doing 50k around the field.

I watch all Farmer Phils videos and Ifarmwefarm for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

During the fodder crisis in 2013 some of the local marts started sourcing and distributing imported fodder to those in need. Towards the end of the crisis the fodder situation locally was getting critical and I decided I was better avail of some for my own stock. On the day of the next delivery I was queued in the mart yard along with other local men awaiting our fair share. There was a tractor with a front loader available to load anyone with a jeep/car and trailer as needed.

Eventually it was my turn and having loaded the bale I stood around chatting with different lad's about the weather, cattle trade ect. Just as the last bales were being divided up in lands a local rooter with a battered Caddy van and an ancient 6x4 single axle cattle trailer. He managed to secure a bale for himself and the tractor driver set about loading the badly needed fodder. The bales were 8x4 and well packed although of poor quality. I only did ordinary maths in school but it was plain for everyone to see that this was going to be a tight squeeze.

Our man instructed the tractor driver to force the bale into the trailer while he sat in the van with the brake pedal to the floor as the handbrake wasn't working. The tractor driver duly obliged and by the time he'd pushed the van and trailer from one side of the yard to the other the bale was about halfway inside. After a quick inspection the general consensus was that it was wedged tight and it wouldn't stir for the short trip out the road. Someone remarked as to how the bale would be extracted from the trailer at the end of the journey. Our man would have kept lots of stock and all of them badly in need of sustenance at the time. He informed the worried bystander that there was 20 cows in a yard at the house and they could "eat it out of it". Sure enough a neighbour of the rooter told me that a few hours later there was nothing but an empty trailer and a pile of orange twines surrounded by 20 unimpressed cow's.

Brilliant post. A true rooter will always find a solution. There is no defeating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Spotted on a FB page

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Spotted on a FB page

A gate hanging on its own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭Figerty

A gate hanging on its own

That's a mobile gate. I think ye underestimate the genius of that idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Figerty wrote: »
    That's was a mobile gate. I think ye underestimate the genius of that idea..

Fixed your post there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Fix up the cab, get the engine going, and do a bit of Gunthering by getting one of the rams off the loader to work the gate and you could have a security checkpoint

• Advertisement

Gas thing is its a new gate and new concrete with a nice tasty edge finish beside it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Spotted on a FB page

That's guntering/labour saving, not a rooter;).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ifarm Wefarm is fierce tidy in everything he does. ...
    The definition of an anti rooter

@18:05
    It's just a bodge job someone done. I don't know why it was rooted at the way it was.

:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Was that your old machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Was that your old machine?

No no, he said that in the next sentence.

Ahh sorry - bit late in the night for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wonder how many actually use a 4 grain fork now? All work done by machinery now.

Everyone the TV cameras roll there's one pulled from somewhere to tip in a bit if silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Everyone the TV cameras roll there's one pulled from somewhere to tip in a bit if silage.

Sure the camera crew bring it with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

I understand need to scrap non slatted passages out to a tank but slatted passages do they really need to be constantly scaped like that. Seems unnecessary.

Advertisement