Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Suckler

If anyone follows Farmer Phil on youtube/Insta, they had a post last week that reminded me of this thread. He was looking at restoring or scrapping an old Nuffield tractor. It was stuck in the middle of the field where I'm guessing it died. It wasn't today nor yesterday it stopped there. Could never figure out lads leaving machinery stuck in the middle of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jb1989 wrote: »

But there’s still plenty of thread on that tyre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Don't use it and it'll last forever.

We were digging a grave and it was tough going, sticky mud. Guy in the hole was getting it butty with a newish shovel.

There was a council worker leaning on a half worn shovel and your man asked him for it.

With the different shovel he was going hammer and thongs at the digging.

The cc worker shouts down to him.

" Take it easy for God's sake you are giving the shovel bad habits"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I was throwing some tools into the car to go put some guttering on a shed and was confronted by both my rooter and non rooter traits.

I've a reel of extension lead thats about the same age as myself thats been driven over at least once (before I ever got it) which was in the boot next to my safety goggles and gloves. a bit f an od duality I might blow a fuse but my eyes and hands will be well minded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was throwing some tools into the car to go put some guttering on a shed and was confronted by both my rooter and non rooter traits.

I've a reel of extension lead thats about the same age as myself thats been driven over at least once (before I ever got it) which was in the boot next to my safety goggles and gloves. a bit f an od duality I might blow a fuse but my eyes and hands will be well minded

Long pants, long sleeve and all anti static when working around gas. If theres an explosion were up **** creek regardless of what were wearing.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was going over the road to outfarm around 10AM, neighbouring farmer flashed me . Bit of small chat, then was it raining earlier? It was raining from 8am to half 9. Would be great to be getting up at 9.30am. Me up since 5.30

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭trg

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was going over the road to outfarm around 10AM, neighbouring farmer flashed me . Bit of small chat, then was it raining earlier? It was raining from 8am to half 9. Would be great to be getting up at 9.30am. Me up since 5.30
    Makes you look more like a rooter than him/her though!

trg wrote: »
    Makes you look more like a rooter than him/her though!

He was heading to the shop for fags

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Aravo

Suckler wrote: »
    If anyone follows Farmer Phil on youtube/Insta, they had a post last week that reminded me of this thread. He was looking at restoring or scrapping an old Nuffield tractor. It was stuck in the middle of the field where I'm guessing it died. It wasn't today nor yesterday it stopped there. Could never figure out lads leaving machinery stuck in the middle of the field.

Seen they were doing slurry recently in taughmaconnell in Roscommon. They said it was a 1hr drive in jeep and 2hr drive in tractor. To me that length of drive is pure madness. Can't see how that pays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Figerty

Aravo wrote: »
    Seen they were doing slurry recently in taughmaconnell in Roscommon. They said it was a 1hr drive in jeep and 2hr drive in tractor. To me that length of drive is pure madness. Can't see how that pays.

Fixed the seat in the mini digger last week.. I have the machine 15 years and decided to bite the bullet and sort it..
    I discovered the last fella didn't replace the gas spring... nooo....... just cut a hole with an angle grinder.. then stuffed is wooly hat in the hole to stop the seat bouncing up and down..
    The gas spring cost 65 Euros. Not a great picture but you get the rooters idea...

Ha, we've a football under the seat of our tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Figerty

That's a pneumatic air cushion.. great idea.. proportional shape top the weight. You could be on a winner there...

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

So have we in the TM 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Suckler wrote: »

Now there is rooters for you, doing everything in the dark and would break an anvil. The kids get a great laugh out of how rough the place is and his great jersey calves.

Now there is rooters for you, doing everything in the dark and would break an anvil. The kids get a great laugh out of how rough the place is and his great jersey calves.

I'd say Liv was delighted with her b/d present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

orm0nd wrote: »
    I'd say Liv was delighted with her b/d present.

The kids showed us the video at lunch time, two of them to collect the heifer and in the dark as usual and the shed they put her into with the runt calves. Liv wanted a horse. A really rough yard.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jaysus lads, you should show us your own yards and how it can be done so well. Where is the link for me to follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Odelay wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, you should show us your own yards and how it can be done so well. Where is the link for me to follow?

I should throw up a pic of mine - I was half afraid I’d get the car stuck the other day when I brought home a boot full of ration... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I cant understand the phil crowd for all the land and all the hire work they have done that they dont have a bit of tin for the machinery when my father bought his first tractor he also bought timber and galvanised for it to be put in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭Suckler

Aravo wrote: »

Interesting read.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/how-this-contractortillage-farmer-became-a-youtube-sensation-40096167.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭White Clover

lab man wrote: »
    I cant understand the phil crowd for all the land and all the hire work they have done that they dont have a bit of tin for the machinery when my father bought his first tractor he also bought timber and galvanised for it to be put in

They have a lot of stuff under cover. I think they have around 30 tractors plus all the machinery. It would take time to have housing organised for all of that in fairness.

You're missing the bit where they're contractors too. There's a good chance that they're out spreading/moving slurry or dung during the day.
    Its hard to be two places at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

They have a lot of stuff under cover. I think they have around 30 tractors plus all the machinery. It would take time to have housing organised for all of that in fairness.

Theres very few outfits need 30 tractors.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

That's their own business and no one else's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Kevhog1988 wrote: »

Ah, sure sometimes lads just like to have things...

You had more machines than I expected in the 'oldest machinery' thread Kev ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You're missing the bit where they're contractors too. There's a good chance that they're out spreading/moving slurry or dung during the day.
    Its hard to be two places at once.

He earns money off his video’s, that’s the motivation to upload them. People are then going to question what they see in said videos.

At what point do you hire more help or look at your stocking rate?

He uploaded a video where he went on holiday with Liv, then proceeded to leave the hotel during the day to go to work and return in the evening.

Somethings got to give

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

He earns money off his video’s, that’s the motivation to upload them. People are then going to question what they see in said videos.

At what point do you hire more help or look at your stocking rate?

He uploaded a video where he went on holiday with Liv, then proceeded to leave the hotel during the day to go to work and return in the evening.

Somethings got to give

No such thing as bad publicity lads. As an auld lad said one time after he got the chimney relined......IF IT DOESNT DRAW SMOKE IT WILL DRAW TALK!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

No such thing as bad publicity lads. As an auld lad said one time after he got the chimney relined......IF IT DOESNT DRAW SMOKE IT WILL DRAW TALK!

Youd think their was a fortune been made out of beef farming the way lads go to town on the chap, he"s after carving out a great little earner for himself and is blowing the likes of grassmen and farmflix out of the water re views on videos on youtube, the shiny outfits and new gear just dosent sell like farmer Phil and his endless tale of woe videos

• Advertisement

lab man wrote: »

in fairness they seem to be a very genuine hardworking family, they're running a high labour , low cost system most likely making more profit than the guys giving 1500 for stores or 200k for tractors

I wouldn't live with their set up or most likely they wouldn't with mine.

Father Phil is a fountain of knowledge with a great memory, wouldn't mind sharing a pot of tay with him (or something stronger if he was that way inclined)

we come from the same era (well tbh I'd say I have a few more turns on the coil than him) & have similar memories.

Advertisement