Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What word do you hate that gets used along with Covid-19?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He's a chancer. This is feb this year. Skip to around 1 minute for his advice on facemasks

That was February 28th 2020

Evidence and studies changed the view maybe?

2 June 2020 the Lancet Study changed his mind

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

https://www.newstalk.com/news/immunologist-luke-oneill-1024383

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The virus doesn't recognise borders, the virus doesn't recognise nphet meetings, the virus doesn't recognise Christmas, etc, etc,

We are all the answer,

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dimo_galway

"Staycation"

I don't know why I dislike it so much, maybe the "vacation" part of it. Frankly, I dislike any new made up words that combine too existing words, it seems like some marketing companies trying too hard too make things trendy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

"Staycation"

I don't know why I dislike it so much, maybe the "vacation" part of it. Frankly, I dislike any new made up words that combine too existing words, it seems like some marketing companies trying too hard too make things trendy.

It's easy to explain. You don't like new words and you are far from being alone in that. Console yourself with the thought that in a hundred years time they won't be new any more, and nobody will pass any remarks on them.

Other combinations which have stood the test of time are words like Motorcycle (Motorised Bicycle), Smog (Smoke Fog) and more latterly Breathalyser (Breath Analyser).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Vaginitis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That was February 28th 2020

Evidence and studies changed the view maybe?

2 June 2020 the Lancet Study changed his mind

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

https://www.newstalk.com/news/immunologist-luke-oneill-1024383

Any other number of air borne transmitted virus’ have been around long before covid where the same principle with face coverings would apply.

He’s a clown and an egotistical mug

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Vaginitis

Vaginismus is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dimo_galway

It's easy to explain. You don't like new words and you are far from being alone in that. Console yourself with the thought that in a hundred years time they won't be new any more, and nobody will pass any remarks on them.

Other combinations which have stood the test of time are words like Motorcycle (Motorised Bicycle), Smog (Smoke Fog) and more latterly Breathalyser (Breath Analyser).

Ha, didn't even think of words like smog and the like.
    I wonder if a word like staycation will stand the test of time though, with how quickly words these days gain prevalence then fade into almost obscurity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plandemic.

Usually spouted by the same hoors who wouldn't trust a vaccine but would have readily popped a yoke of unknown origin at a festival that was hidden down someone's jocks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

What do 'wet pubs' and 'circuit breakers' mean?
    Genuinely never heard either before, even on the internet

Circuit breaker has been around a long time and it’s fairly obvious what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

"Staycation"

It makes no sense. Annoying indeed.

If you could go from Meath to Cork... that’s a staycation of sorts. Staying in Ireland. But correctly restrictions didn’t permit that so no staycations...

If a staycation was a thing... I’ve been having a ‘staycation’ every weekend for xx years apart from the three or four weekends I’ve been on holiday every year...

Staycation is a play on vacation.... on no vacation that I’ve been on do I sit in a room at home and only leave for essential shopping or exercise. The cûnt that thought up staycation needs a kick in the cerebellum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stay Safe.

"Staycation"

Sounds better than Rainy Holiday.

Ha, didn't even think of words like smog and the like.
    I wonder if a word like staycation will stand the test of time though, with how quickly words these days gain prevalence then fade into almost obscurity.

They're called portmanteau words if you want to look it up. You are exactly right about the way the language changes. I think staycation will live on, and other new ones like brunch and podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Face nappy

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Face nappy

Have only actually heard/read this on boards.ie when some wannabe-creative writer thinks he's being witty.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

NPHET so sick of hearing that one, closely followed by 'stay' and 'lockdown' bit heavy on the negativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Staycation - wet pubs

2 of the worst words in recent years, absolute cringe

Make your own patronising Covid tv or radio ad, choose from following:

Now in these unprecedented/uncertain/challenging/changed times.
    New normal.
    Stay safe/stay well.
    Now more than ever.
    We're all in this together.
    Wellness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spindex

Moist wet pubs

Any other number of air borne transmitted virus’ have been around long before covid where the same principle with face coverings would apply.

He’s a clown and an egotistical mug

Whether he is an egotistical mug or not the fact is WHO themselves did a u =urn on whether masks were effective against covid 19. As the science showed exactly how covid19 was transmitted. Particles hanging in the air for long periods.

You might not like Luke O'Neill. Which is fair enough, but if you are to call him a clown. You will also have to criticise WHO and many other medical experts until they caught up with the science.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3078437/mask-or-not-mask-who-makes-u-turn-while-us

"From the start, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said the answer was ‘no’. Masks should be worn by those who are sick, and medical and care workers, according to the global body. There was no need for people who are well to wear them.
    That position was adopted by countries such as the United States, Britain, much of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa and Singapore. They emphasised frequent handwashing and social distancing, by keeping at least a metre apart from others in public places, and the need to save available masks for health care workers".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

#StayatHome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭Macu17ab

Wet pubs, can't stand that expression. Just call them pubs. It's an attempt to link traditional pubs with the wet markets in China.

Wish I could thank this ten times.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Whether he is an egotistical mug or not the fact is WHO themselves did a you turn on whether masks were effective against covid 19. As the science showed exactly how covid19 was transmitted. Particles hanging in the air for long periods.

You might not like Luke O'Neill. Which is fair enough, but if you are to call him a clown. You will also have to criticise WHO and many other medical experts until they caught up with the science.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3078437/mask-or-not-mask-who-makes-u-turn-while-us

"From the start, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said the answer was ‘no’. Masks should be worn by those who are sick, and medical and care workers, according to the global body. There was no need for people who are well to wear them.
    That position was adopted by countries such as the United States, Britain, much of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, India, South Africa and Singapore. They emphasised frequent handwashing and social distancing, by keeping at least a metre apart from others in public places, and the need to save available masks for health care workers".

U-turn, it's like people think changing your mind based of new facts, figures or analysis is a bad thing.
    Id much prefer leaders to change their minds than just stick with what they first said.

So my hated word is U-turn.

Here is a list of what a media training company says about the overuse of certain phrases relating to covid19.

https://www.mediafirst.co.uk/blog/the-coronavirus-words-and-phrases-you-need-to-stop-using-immediately/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Cluster, makes me think of warts or haemorrhoids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Presser

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Mask.

Lockdown.

Vaccination.

Flatten the curve.

• Advertisement

Corona loves crowds.

Advertisement