Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What word do you hate that gets used along with Covid-19?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Cases fucckin cases...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

"we're all in this together"
    "holdfirm"
    "face covering"
    "social distancing"
    "lockdown"
    "guidelines"
    NPHET(why do they pronounce it as "nephat", there's no e)
    "quarantine"
    "gatherings"
    "wet pubs"
    "sanitize"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

A other vote for “stay safe”.....at the end of news bulletins,texts,conversations.....just feck off,what the hell else am I supposed to do with nowhere to go......I don’t need to be told....

“Uptick” in cases.....why just not “increase”??.......why a whole new word when theres a perfectly good one there already??

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

1. "Scaremongering"
    2. "Triage"
    3. "Cocooning"
    4. "Social distancing" (ok, fair enough, that's two words)
    5. "Doomsayers"
    6. "Wet pubs"
    7. "Resilience"

More to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Cocooning" seems to have dropped off in useage frequency. Not surprisingly it was almost universally reviled when coined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,761 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

jojofizzio wrote: »
    “Uptick” in cases.....why just not “increase”??.......why a whole new word when theres a perfectly good one there already??

Someone discovers a new word, the copy/paste media and commentators then go ride the arse off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Form - everywhere I go to work now requires a minimum of 3 forms to be filled out, all rushed and badly worded, I've started to charge just for the forms now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Scamdemic or casedemic are pretty annoying, but at least you know you're dealing with an idiot when you hear it and you can just ignore them. Wet Pub is also a terrible term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Wet pub reminds me of a woman's vagina.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

Not just for the Corona, but every media interview these days contains "you know..." and the improper use of "literally". Both indicate the interviewee is filling empty brain thought bubbles with white noise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

"Wet pubs"
    "Social distancing" (hate it)
    "Our models show that..."
    "We are all in this together" (no, we really are not)
    "Do your bit"
    "Isolate/quarantine"
    "Incidence" being used all over the place with no realy understanding of it's interpretation in different contexts.

"Covidiots"....I absolutely loathe that word, it just makes the user sound like a total tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Wet pubs. Absolutely stupid ridiculous term. They’re pubs.

Pubs that serve food are also pubs not Gastro pubs.

But what bugs me most is the arseholes who can’t pronounce Covid. I work with someone who calls it Covet, I feel like punching her in the face every time she says it.

"Face nappy".

Seems to have been imported from the US' "face diaper".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Anti-vaxxers...... the correct terms that should be used are assholes/idiots/armchair scientists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Wet pubs. Absolutely stupid ridiculous term. They’re pubs.

Pubs that serve food are also pubs not Gastro pubs.

But what bugs me most is the arseholes who can’t pronounce Covid. I work with someone who calls it Covet, I feel like punching her in the face every time she says it.

My former boss heavily pronounced the second syllable - cuVID.

I wanted to strangle him with his own veins.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A new one for me which I heard today is Cold Chain. I suspect it may become common. Dr Emer Shelley was answering a question about vaccines from Brian Dobson, and sort of casually dropped it into the conversation. I instinctively knew what it meant, but I thought he should have asked her to explain the jargon.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-covid-cold-chain-how-a-vaccine-will-get-to-you/

For those who are suffering a nervous reaction to some of the new language, please don't fret. When British Exit became Brexit there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth. But it is probably here to stay in the language, and now goes unremarked. The other much despised Backstop, has largely gone back to its home in the game of baseball. Wet Pubs might easily go the same way, back to the jargon of the licensed trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

"New world order".

Lads, go outside and live in the real world. Stop reading crap from random strangers on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Masks. Do I wear them? Yes. Do I object to them? Hell no, couldn't care less if I caught it but I have people close to me that would be vulnerable, and I'm not a selfish pr*ck. Why do I hate the word then? Cos I wear glasses! THE F*CKING CONSTANT STEAM/FOGGING UP/WHATEVER YA WANNA CALL IT!! !! !! !!

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Clickbait adjectives that get used in headlines when there's any increase in COVID cases or rate of infection - "soars", "spikes", "jumps", "explodes". "Increases" or "rises" clearly just isn't alarmist or attention-seeking enough.

I guarantee you'd be hard pressed to find any snappy equivalent for a decline in cases, "plummets", "plunges", "tails off" etc. Good news doesn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,246 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The constant misuse of the word pandemic -

pandemic - disease occurring over a wide geographic area (such as multiple countries or continents)

Yet people in the media and commentator Ger Canning just now said in the FAI Women's Cup final -

'Global Pandemic' he said.

As usual mixing it up with epidemic!

Everytime I hear it now it annoys me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Fools who don't understand why we have restrictions using the word "nonsense" repeatedly, thus portraying their stupidity and lack of vocabulary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is a crossword clue: Numbers in the theatre. The answer has twelve letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

"New world order".

Lads, go outside and live in the real world. Stop reading crap from random strangers on the internet.

Irony alert!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

dryrobe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Gorteen wrote: »
    Anti-vaxxers...... the correct terms that should be used are assholes/idiots/armchair scientists

My dear old grandmother, God be good to her, used to have a great way of describing people like that: "A shower of fucking cunts"

The “Thing”. As used by Ryan Tubridy.

Constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Heroes don’t wear capes.
    Corona doesn't understand borders.

Advertisement