Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Emergency Call Takers and Incident Creation Representatives in An Garda Siochana

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrscoco30

Set up the text alert, very handy, thanks! Was not expecting that email on a Saturday evening, good luck to ye all!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shau_98

Good luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Beans06

Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Itainire

Currently desperate because the familiarisation link doesn't work for me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Itainire wrote: »
    Currently desperate because the familiarisation link doesn't work for me !!

Check your downloads folder on your pc.

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at something else.. :o

EDIT 2: Try firefox, that worked for me..

• Advertisement

So the actual practise test will be available prior to the actual tests in that link we'll be sent on Monday. I kinda thought that we may be able to practice it now.. Ah well..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capricorn19

job seeker wrote: »
    So the actual practise test will be available prior to the actual tests in that link we'll be sent on Monday. I kinda thought that we may be able to practice it now.. Ah well..

Thought same, would have been handy to have a few just to know what it feels like..

Thought same, would have been handy to have a few just to know what it feels like..

I'm going to try practice some transcription practice testsm I know it won't be the exact same but it might get me used to typing as someone speaks. Just an idea for anyone else

Shau_98 wrote: »
    I'm going to try practice some transcription practice testsm I know it won't be the exact same but it might get me used to typing as someone speaks. Just an idea for anyone else

Good idea, was googling try to find some sort of practice never thought of them.. good luck 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alwayse30

Does anyone know what the working hour will be ? I imagine it'll be an 8-12 hour shift ?

• Advertisement

Alwayse30 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the working hour will be ? I imagine it'll be an 8-12 hour shift ?

I think its 12hrs like 8 to 8 or something similar. 4 days 2 morning followed by 2 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

It's 7-7 two days, 7-7 two nights and 4 off at present.

Kablamo! wrote: »
    It's 7-7 two days, 7-7 two nights and 4 off at present.

Them hours aren't that bad at all..

The link has been sent to us. Good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭weadick

That didn't go well. It just skipped any practice test and took me straight into the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Account2021

weadick wrote: »
    That didn't go well. It just skipped any practice test and took me straight into the real thing.

Just done it there myself…..quite tough I found.

How far did you manage to get along?

For others:

I got the practice up okay. It gives you an option and asks you do you want to try the practice first Yes/ No.

When the practice comes up.
    You need to click into the box and they start speaking say at reference.

There is a button down the bottom and at the top saying start test.
    Don’t click until you are ready to start the test.

If you click this it brings you to the test itself rather den starting the practice maybe this is what happened here with you?

Bit unfair if you ask me if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Secretlab

I've been following this post for a couple of days but havent posted on it.
    Applied for Waterford, just finished the stage 2 exam.
    I don't know how there was 32 pages to be completed (even though i know no one would get that far). I'd consider myself a fairly decent typer as i work in an extremely busy medical practice, but it was the need to spell check a lot of the names that slowed me down. I'm assuming that they'd prefer you to have less data entry done, but spelled correctly, rather than loads of pages done, but emails and names spelled wrong?
    Fingers crossed I get through to the next round, but I actually have no idea how I got on at all.

Good Luck everyone.

Secretlab wrote: »
    I've been following this post for a couple of days but havent posted on it.
    Applied for Waterford, just finished the stage 2 exam.
    I don't know how there was 32 pages to be completed (even though i know no one would get that far). I'd consider myself a fairly decent typer as i work in an extremely busy medical practice, but it was the need to spell check a lot of the names that slowed me down. I'm assuming that they'd prefer you to have less data entry done, but spelled correctly, rather than loads of pages done, but emails and names spelled wrong?
    Fingers crossed I get through to the next round, but I actually have no idea how I got on at all.

Good Luck everyone.

That was my thought aswell.. What will they prioritize, accuracy or speed ?! I think some sections are more important than others.. For example a name not spelled correctly isn't as bad as misspelled email .. but that's just my opinion.

Now another month of waiting for the result!

God I found that hard and most of my job is spent getting peoples names and information and putting it into fields so I thought I would fly it.

God a whole month waiting now, the stress.

Glad I wasnt the only one who found it tough

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Barmanhu

Shau_98 wrote: »
    God I found that hard and most of my job is spent getting peoples names and information and putting it into fields so I thought I would fly it.

God a whole month waiting now, the stress.

Glad I wasnt the only one who found it tough

My job too. I did find it tough but took some solice in the fact that in the real world you can ask somebody (in this example) is that a "daveys" with a YS or IES, I suppose so that's not too bad.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Junior Blue

Do as much as you can as accurately as you can, but the reality is that when someone is screaming for help down the phone you don’t necessarily need or have time to double check the spelling of a particular word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 CoadyC86

Hi everyone,

I've applied to Waterford haven't done the second test yet so at the risk of sounding cheeky could anybody give a little more detail as to what's required?

I think I have an idea judging by previous comments, somebody also mentioned they may be looking for accuracy over speed. That is 100% spot on. Remember you will have a small amount of after call time to make adjustments in real life. I would think sharp listening skills are even more important than the ability to type quickly.

Best of luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11 guy101

Anyone else find it ridiculous that on the stage 2 test the majority of names, addresses, phone numbers and post codes are all English and completely anglicised !?!

I’d sooner be able to spell Irish names and places as gaeilge. Compared to some of the names and addresses that came up.

FYI. It’s quicker to Google a name or address than wait for Phil Spencer to spell it out using F9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I went with accuracy over speed. I don't think I will be going into the 3rd stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrscoco30

God I'm dreading doing it!! Don't want to end up with the feeling I won't be leaving my current job.

mrscoco30 wrote: »
    God I'm dreading doing it!! Don't want to end up with the feeling I won't be leaving my current job.

Haha I know what you mean! I did it yesterday and when I finished I was so disappointed.. I downloaded jobs.ie and indeed again this morning

How far along did people get out of the 32? Not feeling the best after that haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

jeez that was tough, got to like 6 or 7

good luck all,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Canyon86 wrote: »
    got to like 6 or 7

Around the same as you, I would have classed myself as a quick enough when it comes to typing.

Good luck to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Secretlab

Yes!! I only got four full pages done but I spelled checked a good bit and thank god I did, two L's at the of names that would never have two L's o Mac instead of Mc.

Don't think I got as far as others and it's not my speed at typing it was the spell checking
    guy101 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it ridiculous that on the stage 2 test the majority of names, addresses, phone numbers and post codes are all English and completely anglicised !?!

I’d sooner be able to spell Irish names and places as gaeilge. Compared to some of the names and addresses that came up.

FYI. It’s quicker to Google a name or address than wait for Phil Spencer to spell it out using F9.

Advertisement