Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US billionaire calls out Ireland as "no one wants to live here"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    I can vouch for that. I am in the Montreal region, and the idea that the cold weather is dry is a fallacy. There are many winter days much colder and wetter than any Irish winter day. When you slog along on a slushy sidewalk one day, the next frozen over, both are radically harsh.
    I spent a year in Montreal and it was the first time that I experienced 'freezing rain' - coupled with wind chill it's beyond cold. Winter lasted from mid November to March with night temperatures down to -16 C.
    We don't know what cold weather is here in Ireland, we're still talking about a few cold days we got in winter 2010 & 2011 !
    Our main issue really is the constant dampness and lack of sunshine in summer and it's related health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You sound low IQ.

Enjoy your time here. Something tells me it might be quite short.

monseiur wrote: »
    I spent a year in Montreal and it was the first time that I experienced 'freezing rain' - coupled with wind chill it's beyond cold. Winter lasted from mid November to March with night temperatures down to -16 C.
    We don't know what cold weather is here in Ireland, we're still talking about a few cold days we got in winter 2010 & 2011 !
    Our main issue really is the constant dampness and lack of sunshine in summer and it's related health issues.

Ireland's weather is very mild, all of the time. We simply don't have extreme shifts like some other countries do, like...oh...America for example.

Our Summers are mild, our Winters are mild and our Autumns and Springs contain some of the nicest weather of anywhere. The worst two months of the year are December and January.

There are people from other countries on the planet that would love that.

We piss and moan about the rain here, but the reality is that we only get around 1000mm on average in the country. There are countries in South East Asia, for example, that would laugh at that. In fact, Ireland isn't even in the top 50 countries where precipitation is concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ireland's weather is very mild, all of the time. We simply don't have extreme shifts like some other countries do, like...oh...America for example.

Our Summers are mild, our Winters are mild and our Autumns and Springs contain some of the nicest weather of anywhere. The worst two months of the year are December and January.

We piss and moan about the rain here, but the reality is that we only get around 1000mm on average in the country. There are countries in South East Asia, for example, that would laugh at that. In fact, Ireland isn't even in the top 50 countries where precipitation is concerned.

We can stretch 0.5mm of rain far enough to make a whole day miserable. Not many countries can claim such efficient rain usage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Elite Genetics

Vancouver gets 1200mm of rain which is twice that of Ireland and has amazing summers. What is that hard to comprehend?

• Advertisement

Yeh, you do.

I don't know if you're actually serious here because this is hilarious if you think that somehow means that I live here.

Vancouver gets 1200mm of rain which is twice that of Ireland and has amazing summers. What is that hard to comprehend?

It's my comprehension of the topic in question that's perfectly fine. ;)

But, keep trying. You'll get it eventually.

Enjoy your time here. Something tells me it might be quite short.

What do you mean? Are you going to kill me? Do you want me to send location?

It's my comprehension of the topic in question that's perfectly fine. ;)

But, keep trying. You'll get it eventually.

You cannot comprehend how places with more rain than Ireland can have better weather. Ireland has less overall rain compared to most of Europe therefore the conclusion is that weather is the best in Europe. There must be some delusion medicine that can be taken in this situation.

All the stupid billionaires coming in here and saying that the weather is bad. It's only 1000mm of rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

his business is failing

Really isn't Cloudflare is a huge company that prevent DDOS attacks mostly, share price has also never been higher

• Advertisement

You cannot comprehend how places with more rain than Ireland can have better weather.

:pac:

Amazing how someone could conclude such nonsense from what I've said. If it's not deliberate, I feel sorry for you.

We're done here. You're just another time waster, who can't/won't read what other people write.

And don't bother sending me any more PM's either. ;)

:pac:

Amazing how someone could conclude such nonsense from what I've said. If it's not deliberate, I feel sorry for you.

We're done here. You're just another time waster, who can't/won't read what other people write.

Yeah you give up because you got wrecked.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

In fairness our home grown ingredients are top notch. If you can’t cook with them, buy in cheap retail outlets or eat in dodgy restaurants then yes, the food you’re eating is ****e.

Irish beef, lamb, dairy and sea food are 2nd to none. Irish people take it for granted.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

“No one wants to live in Ireland unless they’re Irish”

I mean, if you have the choice that a billionaire has, is he wrong?
    monseiur wrote: »

I spent a year in Dublin too and loved the climate. I like the fine drizzle and the greenery. It's one of the more pleasant countries to live in, and just a hop to England, France, Spain for a quick change.

As far as home affordability goes, California cities are insanely priced. Hundreds of thousands camping out. That billionaire guy got pushed back by a smart lovely colleen. Butt hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Billionaires are a dime a dozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

tech ones for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Estimate is about 3,000 billionaires in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Greentopia wrote: »
    Food is ****e? depends what you eat surely. If you eat junk food then yes, but fresh food quality is good. Some fantastic cafes and restaurants in this country and we have great local producers and growers. I eat very well. Try drinking milk in Germany or average cafe food in England and tell me this country has bad food.

Almost the first thing I do when I return to Ireland is have a beef or ham sandwich. The difference in quality with my part of Canada is significant. You don’t have to go anywhere fancy to eat great food in Ireland. It’s one of the few things I can’t complain about there.

People are nosey... can be but the upside is that I have neighbours I can rely on and I know will look out for me and keep an eye on my house if I go away. I give an elderly neighbour my key to let himself in when I do to make it look like I'm home. In my experience of living elsewhere in Europe that would be unheard of. A polite few words in passing is the most you will ever get.

If you’re not a beautiful young celeb, nosy neighbours are a benefit overall. My Newfoundland neighbours are even more inquisitive than the average Irish version and any burglar would have a hard time getting anywhere near my house undetected. Very few older people are left to die and decompose in their houses here. If such a person hasn’t been seen, somebody will always be looking in the window after a few days or calling relatives to see what is going on. It’s a good thing.

The winters are depressing there and it’s an absurdly expensive place to live. Not very friendly either. One year was enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

StefanFal wrote: »
    Nonsense. The weather is crap and the food is brutal but you have the nicest people in the world!

Where are you sourcing your food? Irish meat and dairy is the best you can find, outside of Wagyu beef (and even that cattle breed can be found from a few farms here). There's a reason it's found in supermarkets across Europe.

Locally grown veg are very good quality...go to any farmers market in the country and you'll find that out. Even supermarket produce is no better or worse than anything I've bought in the other two EU countries I've lived in. Of course a lot has to be imported that can't be grown here because of the climate.

Locally caught fish is generally good too as well as lots of smoked fish from numerous producers around the country.

Bread is not great if you're just eating white sliced pans, but that's not necessary. Independent bakers are popping up everywhere. I buy two sourdough loaves a week from my local independent bakery and they're equal to anything I've bought in Stuttgart. Polish shops also have good quality bread. Even the local blaa here in Waterford is tasty and has protected EU origin status.

There are so many thousands of local producers in this country that sell excellent high quality food. If I was to try one Waterford grower or producer food every day for a year I wouldn't have tried them all. Have no idea why you think Irish food is "brutal" unless you're eating junk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You have to give people the opportunity to not like you. It proves you are genuine.

We are who we are.

If everyone liked Ireland we would be a nation of people pleasers. I am glad we are not.

As far as home affordability goes, California cities are insanely priced. Hundreds of thousands camping out. That billionaire guy got pushed back by a smart lovely colleen. Butt hurt.

Watched a documentary about homelessness in California recently. Worse than I ever imagined. People in full time employment living out of their cars because of soaring rents. People living in their offices. Huge squalid tent cities by the sides of the freeways, under bridges and in parks with limited access to even clean water and basic hygiene. 150,000 at least homeless and covid has made the situation far worse. Looks as bad as anything I've seen in the poorest developing countries. First world economy with a third world society.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    My Newfoundland neighbours are even more inquisitive than the average Irish version

That's because half of them are Irish :D well Irish ancestry anyway. Many from my own county Waterford who sound exactly like me- even the ones born in Newfoundland!
    and any burglar would have a hard time getting anywhere near my house undetected. Very few older people are left to die and decompose in their houses here. If such a person hasn’t been seen, somebody will always be looking in the window after a few days or calling relatives to see what is going on. It’s a good thing.

Indeed. As I grow older it's something I'm very grateful for here. I remember reading all too often in Swedish newspapers about older people found dead and decomposing in their apartments up to a year later. No family or friends ever checked up on them. :( Same thing is happening in Japan.

I generally like being left alone as an introvert and I'm very self contained, but I do appreciate the friendliness, concern for welfare and sense of community still found in much of rural Ireland at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Very few older people are left to die and decompose in their houses here. If such a person hasn’t been seen, somebody will always be looking in the window after a few days or calling relatives to see what is going on. It’s a good thing.

I will be the exception...FULLY expect this to happen to me when i die. I am bound to be a shut in old lady!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

I will be the exception...FULLY expect this to happen to me when i die. I am bound to be a shut in old lady!

Leave your vast fortune to the cats and dogs home and your body to the vermin to gorge on ..now that's something to look forward to (insert emoji here!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Very few older people are left to die and decompose in their houses here. If such a person hasn’t been seen, somebody will always be looking in the window after a few days or calling relatives to see what is going on.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda%C3%AD-investigate-after-man-s-body-found-in-dublin-house-1.4325780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

That's happened in Cork too but it's highly unusual. You'll always get outliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I spent a July there once and it was around 25c every day and blue skies, people who say it has a similar climate to here are wrong, similar winters perhaps.
    It's the low cloud for most of the summer in Ireland that kills me, but at least it's a short hop to sunnier climes in non covid times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Watched a documentary about homelessness in California recently. Worse than I ever imagined. People in full time employment living out of their cars because of soaring rents. People living in their offices. Huge squalid tent cities by the sides of the freeways, under bridges and in parks with limited access to even clean water and basic hygiene. 150,000 at least homeless and covid has made the situation far worse. Looks as bad as anything I've seen in the poorest developing countries. First world economy with a third world society.

Basically all a big scam so.

• Advertisement

Indeed. As I grow older it's something I'm very grateful for here. I remember reading all too often in Swedish newspapers about older people found dead and decomposing in their apartments up to a year later. No family or friends ever checked up on them. :( Same thing is happening in Japan.

I generally like being left alone as an introvert and I'm very self contained, but I do appreciate the friendliness, concern for welfare and sense of community still found in much of rural Ireland at least.

I saw that happening to a person in Galway City when I worked there many years ago. Calgary was worse in terms of frequency although the dry atmosphere meant mummification was a distinct possibility, less appalling to think about than putrefaction. I haven’t seen it often in rural Newfoundland over the years but I’d say it occurs more frequently in our one real city, albeit a small one, St. John’s.

Advertisement