Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US billionaire calls out Ireland as "no one wants to live here"

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Drewgerger

I wish that was true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Summers 2001, 2006, 2013, 2018 were very warm and lovely for this climate, there may have been a couple more but if there were I don’t remember them. So in my estimation, every 5 summers approximately (I’ve lived in Ireland since late summer 2000).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

The fella is talking pure ****e. I heard somewhere we have the most Michelin star restaurants per capita and our seafood, beef, lamb, dairy etc is in demand all over the World.

Our Weather is actually mild enough. Who wants to be burnt alive or frozen alive.

And the people here overall are fairly easy going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

seenitall wrote: »
    Summers 2001, 2006, 2013, 2018 were very warm and lovely for this climate, there may have been a couple more but if there were I don’t remember them. So in my estimation, every 5 summers approximately (I’ve lived in Ireland since late summer 2000).

This year's Spring as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Elite Genetics

seenitall wrote: »

That's pretty sad tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

That's pretty sad tbh

How do you mean? What do you find sad about it?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Who wants to live where US billionaire lives?

"Elite" gated communidee with dull crass looking mansions and perfectly manicured lawns.

Shielded away from real life by high fences and security. Posh car outside and army of servants running after them

I'd honestly much prefer an old stone cottage on Inishbofin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I'm actually watching a program right now about people getting shot dead in America over a pair of trainers.

Yep, people have actually pulled out a gun and killed people over a pair of Air Jordan shoes?

CLASS!

buried wrote: »
    How do you mean? What do you find sad about it?

Getting a nice summer every 5 years. Hard to understand?

I'm actually watching a program right now about people getting shot dead in America over a pair of trainers.

Yep, people have actually pulled out a gun and killed people over a pair of Air Jordan shoes?

CLASS!

What a stupid point. There was a truck who ran over multiple people for no reason in France. Never go to France.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

CLASS!

And people don’t get killed in Ireland,tradesman doing he’s job gets killed because he’s in the house of a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Weather in Canada and USA are much better than Ireland? I don't think so. And Ireland have the advantage to be very close to Spain, Portugal, Italy, Malta. Talking about food, he might be right, yesterday I passed in front of a Mcdonalds and it had a big queue of cars, people have a strange taste for food.

What a stupid point. There was a truck who ran over multiple people for no reason in France. Never go to France.

These people aren't being shot because it's some random lunatic but because these shoes are "limited" edition and were the "must have" items when they came out.

Consumerism gone insane just like oul ones boxing the head off each other over a microwave oven on Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You won't hear any of that if it's a well built apartment and of course if there are no children.

"Well built apartment" is nearly an oxymoron in this country.
    Unless you plan on sterilising your neighbours through their drinking water there WILL be children.

"Well built apartment" is nearly an oxymoron in this country.
    Unless you plan on sterilising your neighbours through their drinking water there WILL be children.

Unfortunately you are close to the mark on the first point. On the second point it has been my experience of living in apartments in America, Dublin, Germany and Amsterdam once kids come along the parents move out almost as soon as the screamer can walk in order to find a place with a back garden.

The fella is talking pure ****e. I heard somewhere we have the most Michelin star restaurants per capita and our seafood, beef, lamb, dairy etc is in demand all over the World.

Our Weather is actually mild enough. Who wants to be burnt alive or frozen alive.

And the people here overall are fairly easy going.

In supermarkets in the Netherlands the meat section has a special area for Irish beef in distinctive green packaging and they have those special cables going through the packs like you see in clothes shops securing the leather jackets from theft.

Just kidding on the anti-theft measures but there is a special section for the Irish beef in the larger supermarkets and it is very popular and priced higher.

Getting a nice summer every 5 years. Hard to understand?

Yeah it is hard to understand. Everybody knows what we are going to get weather-wise here. It's not like our climate or the seasons we get here is some sort of surprise to anybody. Tacitus called our island 'Hibernia' - The land of winter, and that was 2000 years ago, so it's hardly breaking news to anybody this place is wintry or dark for a good portion of the calander year. We invented 'Halloween' out of it. The darkness hits the island hard. But that's the differential weather worldwide. Its like me as a Irishman going to Miami in July and then complaining the place is a kip because the town has the heat of a tropical jungle. Know where you are going. Deal with what you are dealt with. If you can't handle that, then head out of it. I mean, If the weather here comes as some sort of otherwordly shock to you, a thing that you can't handle, well, lucky enough we have plenty of airports for anyone to get themselves out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wherever you heard that it was wrong, we are nowhere near the top of the Michelin Stars per capita list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

buried wrote: »
    Yeah it is hard to understand. Everybody knows what we are going to get weather-wise here. It's not like our climate or the seasons we get here is some sort of surprise to anybody. Tacitus called our island 'Hibernia' - The land of winter, and that was 2000 years ago, so it's hardly breaking news to anybody this place is wintry or dark for a good portion of the calander year. We invented 'Halloween' out of it. The darkness hits the island hard. But that's the differential weather worldwide. Its like me as a Irishman going to Miami in July and then complaining the place is a kip because the town has the heat of a tropical jungle. Know where you are going. Deal with what you are dealt with. If you can't handle that, then head out of it. I mean, If the weather here comes as some sort of otherwordly shock to you, a thing that you can't handle, well, lucky enough we have plenty of airports for anyone to get themselves out of here.

I've known the weather is sh*te here in Ireland for 40 years, it still doesn't make it any better and our horrible summers are disappointing every year.
    I totally get why it would put anyone off living here, it really puts limits on what you can enjoy.

He's 46, looks fifty odd, is chubby and dresses like a tramp despite being a millionaire.......... I'd not be overly bothered about his views. He looks like a farmer from Leitrim :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

What an arsehole. When you're a high-profile person in the media spotlight, you simply just do not make comments like that.

I've known the weather is sh*te here in Ireland for 40 years, it still doesn't make it any better and our horrible summers are disappointing every year.
    I totally get why it would put anyone off living here, it really puts limits on what you can enjoy.

Jayzus man If you've been 40 years being disappointed due to a situation you can change and take some responsibility for yourself, I don't know what to say to you. Like I said, nobody is forcing anybody to come or stay here if they don't like it or they can't handle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Mr U.S billionaire can go and f*ck himself
    He sounds like a proper wanker.

These kinds of comments just support his point, unfortunately.

Irish people feel free to criticize the US and Americans from dawn to dusk. But anyone who makes a mildly critical remark about Ireland is a "proper wanker" who can "go and f*ck himself"?

Double standards, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Invidious wrote: »

Irish people feel free to criticize the US and Americans from dawn to dusk. But anyone who makes a mildly critical remark about Ireland is a "proper wanker" who can "go and f*ck himself"?

Double standards, tbh.
    I think it's the need to make comments that reflect on his qualities as a human being. It could just as easily have been about China or India. Touch of the brown M&Ms there!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,883 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Double standards, tbh.

Touch your cap and tug your forelock to the big rich yank.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Touch your cap and tug your forelock to the big rich yank.
    No, but having a freak out because some gobshite of any sort criticises the place is a bit much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Double standards, tbh.

Not at all, he is free to criticise us and us him. And there's plenty on this thread agreeing with him on some or all points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Not at all, he is free to criticise us and us him.

Yes, you are free to criticize him ... but a 28-page thread on some fairly innocuous comments by a US businessman that many would never have heard of previously? That just illustrates how oversensitive some Irish people are to criticism.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That just illustrates how oversensitive some Irish people are to criticism.
    To be fair any nationalities I've met in my experience anyway tend to have the same percentage of oversensitivity. French people can be extremely twitchy on this score. Italians too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yes, you are free to criticize him ... but a 28-page thread on some fairly innocuous comments by a US businessman that many would never have heard of previously? That just illustrates how oversensitive some Irish people are to criticism.

Don't be daft. There is a 24 page thread on how debased carbonara is. People are bored and this is a discussion forum.

Advertisement