Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US billionaire calls out Ireland as "no one wants to live here"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I have lived in a lot of countries including the USA europe Uk & now i am back homer in the west and i love it . it feels safe and familiar ansd that why we like to come home its not for weather or food its for our families and our home place. Let the yank spew his vitriol who cares his own country is a big ****ing mess if truth be told and i would never live there again .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Invidious wrote: »
    Yes, you are free to criticize him ... but a 28-page thread on some fairly innocuous comments by a US businessman that many would never have heard of previously? That just illustrates how oversensitive some Irish people are to criticism.

It's only 11 pages it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Good summer is guaranteed in Canada, while you wouldn't be surprised if you get 12 months of crap in Ireland and hope to get a good summer.

Summer is a highly variable matter across the country. Some parts of coastal BC get more rain than Ireland. In Ontario and in the Prairies, the heat can be oppressive. I once spent nine months in Calgary with no rain - you end up hating sunshine at that stage. Nothing will grow either. If you want weather that strongly competes with any misery Ireland can provide, try St. John’s, Newfoundland. It was there that I experienced strong wind and dense fog simultaneously for the first time. The other problem in a country with more than 2 million ponds and lakes, basically a ginormous swamp, is that the flies are unbearable in the outback if it gets at all warm. Labradorians look forward to the winter. Here’s a Canadian song about the black fly in northern Ontario, a clumsier cousin of the mosquito that leaves a nasty mess behind:

https://youtu.be/qjLBXb1kgMo

And here they are up north in Nunavut:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_fly#/media/File:Black_Fly_Attack_on_theDubawnt_River_Nunavut.jpg

You wouldn’t think you’d have a problem like that in the Arctic but that’s their summer.

In my part of Eastern Canada, I have four months of shoveling snow ahead of me just to get my car out of the driveway. It has a definite effect on morale.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Invidious wrote: »
    Yes, you are free to criticize him ... but a 28-page thread on some fairly innocuous comments by a US businessman that many would never have heard of previously? That just illustrates how oversensitive some Irish people are to criticism.

The most critical people of Ireland are the Irish.

We do, however, get our backs up when someone makes airy fairy remarks about the country, especially when their own remarks can be thrown back at the country they hail from...and in spades too.

As far as weather is concerned, we actually have seasons, unlike California. And, into the bargain, our seasons are very mild in the changes they bring. We moan about the weather a lot, but spend a winter in Michigan or Vladivostok and you'll be gagging at the bit to hop on a plane back to Paddyland. Jesus, even a January in New York will teach you how good people have it here.

As far as food is concerned, I can get hold of any food I like. I don't what that ejit is talking about. It isn't the 50's anymore. Plus, every bleedin American I know will bang on about the quality of food in Ireland when they're over here, and it is almost universally positive. They'll praise our dairy and meat products to an almost irritating level.

As for being welcoming, maybe we just don't like cunts like Matthew Prince. Also, I've been to a few places in the States, both for work and recreation, and can safely say that their own level of "welcoming" can leave a lot to be desired.

As for "...no one wants to live there", tell that to the thousands of foreign nationals who live and work all over the country in the IT and tech sector.

Mr. Prince sounds as wanky and annoying as his poxy Cloudflare crap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ardillaun wrote: »
    I once spent nine months in Calgary with no rain - you end up hating sunshine at that stage.
    Aye. And in Toronto, when it does rain during the summer, it doesn't clear the air like here in Ireland. And as hot as it is, you don't want the temps to drop, as when they do, a thunderstorm happens.

=-=

As for Mr Cloudfare; Ireland doesn't have tornadoes. Or a lot of other natural disasters.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭Elite Genetics

Tony EH wrote: »
    The most critical people of Ireland are the Irish.

We do, however, get our backs up when someone makes airy fairy remarks about the country, especially when their own remarks can be thrown back at the country they hail from...and in spades too.

As far as weather is concerned, we actually have seasons, unlike California. And, into the bargain, our seasons are very mild in the changes they bring. We moan about the weather a lot, but spend a winter in Michigan or Vladivostok and you'll be gagging at the bit to hop on a plane back to Paddyland. Jesus, even a January in New York will teach you how good people have it here.

As far as food is concerned, I can get hold of any food I like. I don't what that ejit is talking about. It isn't the 50's anymore. Plus, every bleedin American I know will bang on about the quality of food in Ireland when they're over here, and it is almost universally positive. They'll praise our dairy and meat products to an almost irritating level.

As for being welcoming, maybe we just don't like cunts like Matthew Prince. Also, I've been to a few places in the States, both for work and recreation, and can safely say that their own level of "welcoming" can leave a lot to be desired.

As for "...no one wants to live there", tell that to the thousands of foreign nationals who live and work all over the country in the IT and tech sector.

Mr. Prince sounds as wanky and annoying as his poxy Cloudflare crap. :pac:

Stopped reading after spend winter in Michigan and Vladivostok. You do realise that for vast majority of the year these places have much warmer weather than Ireland? Couple weeks ago Michigan was sunny in 15 - 20c range. Weather in detroit is very similar to Ireland at this time and it's winter. 4c in Detroit and 8c in Dublin. Tomorrow 7c in Detroit and 9c in Dublin, massive difference... also no bs dampness which I would argue makes Ireland much colder feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Stopped reading after...

That's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Stopped reading after spend winter in Michigan and Vladivostok. You do realise that for vast majority of the year these places have much warmer weather than Ireland? Couple weeks ago Michigan was sunny in 15 - 20c range. Weather in detroit is very similar to Ireland at this time and it's winter. 4c in Detroit and 8c in Dublin. Tomorrow 7c in Detroit and 9c in Dublin, massive difference... also no bs dampness which I would argue makes Ireland much colder feeling.
    It's still autumn/fall in Michigan and in a couple of weeks time, while it's still 8C in Dublin, it may be as low as -30C in Detroit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Personally I do enjoy hamming up my irishness every time I visit the US

That said I won't be stand offish if another irish person shows up - once they're also willing to play the game. :pac:

/tips cap and all that malarkey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

It's still autumn/fall in Michigan and in a couple of weeks time, while it's still 8C in Dublin, it may be as low as -30C in Detroit.

I can vouch for that. I am in the Montreal region, and the idea that the cold weather is dry is a fallacy. There are many winter days much colder and wetter than any Irish winter day. When you slog along on a slushy sidewalk one day, the next frozen over, both are radically harsh.

• Advertisement

“No one wants to live in Ireland unless they’re Irish”

I mean, if you have the choice that a billionaire has, is he wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I’d tend to agree with him.food is ****e, people are nosey, not friendly and the weather speaks for itself. It’s an expensive place to live with high taxation on the worker.

Sure we’re great craic...

Food is ****e? depends what you eat surely. If you eat junk food then yes, but fresh food quality is good. Some fantastic cafes and restaurants in this country and we have great local producers and growers. I eat very well. Try drinking milk in Germany or average cafe food in England and tell me this country has bad food.

People are nosey... can be but the upside is that I have neighbours I can rely on and I know will look out for me and keep an eye on my house if I go away. I give an elderly neighbour my key to let himself in when I do to make it look like I'm home. In my experience of living elsewhere in Europe that would be unheard of. A polite few words in passing is the most you will ever get.

Not friendly? literally all my European friends and my German partner say they find us very friendly. As in telling their friends that in their own languages when they ask how we are as a people.

The weather is crap most of the year true, but I'll take a nice fresh Irish summer's day over cooking in scorching sun 35C in the middle of Stuttgart in July with it's dead polluted air and not a puff of wind for relief. One of the reasons I left.

Expensive is a problem for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

“No one wants to live in Ireland unless they’re Irish”

I mean, if you have the choice that a billionaire has, is he wrong?

He's fulla unadulterated ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Nonsense. The weather is crap and the food is brutal but you have the nicest people in the world!

Weather is temperate and moist no extremes and we have great Aran sweaters and rain gear ! Our food is simple and good with no drugs added or hormone growth boosters. So it is pure and simple i have worked in the food industry for years buy in from all over the world and there sure is some crap food coming into ireland.
    If you eat lamb beef and pork butter and vegetables in season the food is good in a rustic way . if you want all the bull**** of truffle oils and grated truffles in your spuds & general food snobbery then go to Paris and pay for it. Ireland is a great country fcuk you all.

Weather is temperate and moist no extremes and we have great Aran sweaters and rain gear ! Our food is simple and good with no drugs added or hormone growth boosters. So it is pure and simple i have worked in the food industry for years buy in from all over the world and there sure is some crap food coming into ireland.
    If you eat lamb beef and pork butter and vegetables in season the food is good in a rustic way . if you want all the bull**** of truffle oils and grated truffles in your spuds & general food snobbery then go to Paris and pay for it. Ireland is a great country fcuk you all.

You sound low IQ.

You sound low IQ.

tested at 138 actually i am not bothered by your insult i just believe simple food is the best food and i am healthy as a result of it.

tested at 138 actually i am not bothered by your insult i just believe simple food is the best food and i am healthy as a result of it.

Of course you are. Just like everyone here who all conveniently lived in all the countries for years. Send me proof by PM then.

Of course you are. Just like everyone here who all conveniently lived in all the countries for years. Send me proof by PM then.
    Will i send a photo too and my PPS number too? I owe you nothing i just responded to your attempt at insulting me for my opinion. Opinions are ubiquitous everyone has one but i choose not to insult you by return as i am also mannered.

Will i send a photo too and my PPS number too? I owe you nothing i just responded to your attempt at insulting me for my opinion. Opinions are ubiquitous everyone has one but i choose not to insult you by return as i am also mannered.

Here is my response:

Hey guys, Antarctica is a great place to live, just wear more clothes! Problem solved, next.

• Advertisement

Great. So pack up and go to the US. Plenty of people have left. I have lived in 3-4 countries. Be illegal if you have to, there might be an amnesty coming with the new administration. Or try Europe, Spain -- which clearly has better weather than Ireland -- has no visa restrictions.

Nothing so pathetic as the Irish man who lives in Ireland all his life bitching about Ireland.

( Detroit seems as damp as Ireland as it happens, with humidity of 77% today).

Here is my response:

Hey guys, Antarctica is a great place to live, just wear more clothes! Problem solved, next.

true if you want to live there, but if you dont like it there then dont be nasty about the place for everyone else just go elsewhere simple.

I dont like ireland so i am moving back to America whats not to like about that sentence, but to go on and lambast the country is just another priviledged tech millionaire telling the world to see things as he does preaching to

everyone at our expense.

Its an attitude of these people to believe that their opinion is the only one that matters just like all the tech people. The ability to alter our lives via tech goes to their heads.

Great. So pack up and go to the US. Plenty of people have left. I have lived in 3-4 countries. Be illegal if you have to, there might be an amnesty coming with the new administration. Or try Europe, Spain -- which clearly has better weather than Ireland -- has no visa restrictions.

Nothing so pathetic as the Irish man who lives in Ireland all his life bitching about Ireland.

( Detroit seems as damp as Ireland as it happens, with humidity of 77% today).

I don't live in Ireland. Might as well delete your post as it is invalid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Speaking of low IQ. The way you construct your sentences is wrong. Is English your first language or do you have a low IQ?

Speaking of low IQ. The way you construct your sentences is wrong. Is English your first language or do you have a low IQ?

Irish is my first language and possibly low IQ, I haven't tested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Irish is my first language and possibly low IQ, I haven't tested it.

Let me fix that for you; Irish is my first language and I could possibly have a low IQ, it has not been tested yet.

You are most welcome:D

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

Don't be daft. There is a 24 page thread on how debased carbonara is. People are bored and this is a discussion forum.

Carbonara is only debased when made without fresh cream.

Carry on.

I don't live in Ireland. Might as well delete your post as it is invalid.

Yeh, you do.
    Move to another country, nothing will change here in a long time.

Let me fix that for you; Irish is my first language and I could possibly have a low IQ, it has not been tested yet.

You are most welcome:D

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yeh, you do.

I would like to but I can't.

Advertisement