Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US billionaire calls out Ireland as "no one wants to live here"

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

AutoTuning wrote: »
    To be fair, it went down ***EXTREMELY*** well in French media and wasn’t seen cynically at all.
    Thing is AT, these kinda threads tend to attract an odd mix of the cynical about every bloody thing and those who think normal human interaction is somehow odd because they consider themselves "introverts". Add in like you said the "stranger danger" stuff and the mentality brought about by social media or whatever that has people having an attack of the emotionals if an unrecognised number comes up on their phone, or god forbid they actually have to talk with another human being. I can only describe it as a form of cultural autism, or a developmental fault in normal sociability.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Public transport is poor. Fair rental prices are nigh on impossible to find. But he was thankful to place his little company here to avail, no doubt, of the breaks, yet now is willing to denigrate the same country.

Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

apart from the views on the west of the country there's not much going for it any more

Our government has made sure of that

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Rugbymad2020

Public transport is poor. Fair rental prices are nigh on impossible to find. But he was thankful to place his little company here to avail, no doubt, of the breaks, yet now is willing to denigrate the same country.

Pathetic.

That’s just clever business.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Coming from a yank this is laughable- one of the great EU benefits is the high food standards we enjoy and is relatively affordable too. The foodie revolution has really swept Ireland the past two decades. American “food” is awful over manufactured produced crap. My stomach churns at the thoughts of most of it.
    Depends on where and what you're eating too. If you're chowing down on garage convenience muck, Maccy Dees and Chinner Dinners then it's bad, though even there Irish and EU regulations make it well, regulated compared to American convenience food. Our meat even the cheap stuff is significantly higher quality than American food unless you flash the cash. Like the term "grass fed beef" as a more luxury item in the US. Here we call it eh... beef. Because that's what cattle eat. Not the corn fed fit to explode diabetic when slaughtered average US moo cow.

If the guy is hanging out in very fancy restaurants in the US where you will get very nice grub then your average chew and chuck over here is going to be sub par, but fancy restaurants here would be just as good though fewer in number because the population is fewer in number and you could say that of everywhere in the West. I ate in service stations and Burger King in Rome, therefore Italian food is crap type "logic".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Thats sad. I dont think any statistics would back you up on your assertion that its unsafe to strike up a conversation with a stranger. You've more chance of getting killed my a kick from a horse than something bad happening during your interaction.
    I disagree on all the American bashing. I lived in Texas and Arkansas. Best few years iv had. Absolutely outstanding people who are friendly. Most in Arkansas were Scotch Irish..real aware of their Presbyterian Irish background.. not aware of the modern Ireland but so what. We native Irish dont actually have a monopoly on how the Irish culture should develope. Irish Americans and Anglo Irish have just as valid an Irish identity as we do. Like I said we native Irish are smug...very condescending

hold on a minute , the " Scots irish " are a different people and culture altogether , they never viewed themselves as irish going back to the time they emmigrated to america which of course was centuries before we headed off , they saw themselves as british , nothing wrong with that but they are a seperate people altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Those videos of Irish fans in France doing all their cringeworthy, contrived, crap like singing lullabies to babies on trains and proposing to pretty women just for the camera were truly nauseating and embarrassing. The Japs clean up rubbish in the stadiums because it's in their DNA. They do that back home in Japan too. The Irish were doing it just for likes and to bluff out the rest of the world that they were so great and sound and loveable when it was just attention-seeking theatre. Would they do that crap back in Ireland on any given day? Not a hope. They'd go to electric Picnic and leave the place looking like Nagasaki when it was all over.

Best fans in the world:rolleyes: They probably don't even know the FAI cup final is on today. Paddy premierships.

Can't stand that fake US style courtesy 'have a nice day' and all that shíte. Like you really give a fúck about my day :rolleyes:

If you've ever watched undercover boss USA their work culture is a sight to behold. So much fake enthusiasm and over politeness. Calling their workplace family etc. He is probably used to that and being presumably well known there as a billionaire he would get even more fawning and fakeness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

To be fair, it went down ***EXTREMELY*** well in French media and wasn’t seen cynically at all.

Our football fans are totally different to most because we don’t really have soccer as a proxy for war, as one or two noteworthy countries or and plenty of big clubs’ fans tend to approach it.

Irish international soccer is more like the Mighty Ducks - football as a feel good, inflatable shamrock shaking, Disney movie day out.

I’m sure it did, media everywhere loves sappy clickbait and “human interest” nonsense.

Our football fans are nothing special. I saw a Wales game a few years ago where there were technical difficulties with the sound for the national anthem. The Wales fans took over with an incredibly stirring rendition.

Or the Icelandic thunder clap, which I know wasn’t invented by them, but they perfected, again to stirring effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Coming from a yank this is laughable- one of the great EU benefits is the high food standards we enjoy and is relatively affordable too. The foodie revolution has really swept Ireland the past two decades. American “food” is awful over manufactured produced crap. My stomach churns at the thoughts of most of it.

He is a billionaire. The quality of the food he would be eating and the type of restaurant he would frequent is not McDonalds.

I think he is correct

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

I’m sure it did, media everywhere loves sappy clickbait and “human interest” nonsense.

Our football fans are nothing special. I saw a Wales game a few years ago where there were technical difficulties with the sound for the national anthem. The Wales fans took over with an incredibly stirring rendition.

Or the Icelandic thunder clap, which I know wasn’t invented by them, but they perfected, again to stirring effect.

Yeah and all of the above are amongst the nicest fans out there and are credited as such, and so are Ireland.

I’m not seeing what the problem is...

I was cheering for Iceland that time they beat England.
    Great craic, lovely fans, don’t take themselves too seriously.

The countries that tend to have problematic fans see football as proxy war and get all jingoistic about it. Russia and England stand out, but they’re not the only ones.

Yeah and all of the above are amongst the nicest fans out there and are credited as such, and so are Ireland.

The countries that tend to have problematic fans see football as proxy war and get all jingoistic about it. Russia and England stand out, but they’re not the only ones.

Different strokes - you don’t have a problem with those viral videos. I do. I found them ingratiating and a bit desperate.

That others countries have football hooligans is neither here nor there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

He is a billionaire. The quality of the food he would be eating and the type of restaurant he would frequent is not McDonalds.

I think he is correct
    Where do our billionaires go to eat? We have some world class restaurants and chefs here.
    Come to think of it, why doesn't he have his own personal chef. Stingey twerp.

Different strokes - you don’t have a problem with those viral videos. I do. I found them ingratiating and a bit desperate. When the Welsh fans jumped in at the technical difficulties, that was off the cuff. No planning, no eye towards joe.ie showing your video.

That others countries have football hooligans is neither here nor there.

Yeah different strokes alright. I don’t find the fact that there were displays of people trying to be a bit nice and entertaining, and a bit of a foil to the usual annoyingly serious stuff that can mar those tournaments at all offensive.

Also it was a warm and pleasant gesture to France, where people had just been very badly shaken by terrorist incidents and who were genuinely very much in need of a bit of fun at the time. There were all sorts of concerns about terrorism, about hooliganism etc etc

The fact that you’re cringing about it doesn’t mean that it was how it was interpreted by most people. It was generally seen as a good humoured gesture of goodwill and fun by French commentary.

You’re seeing it from the point of view of a show. The fans who were doing it were seeing it in the context of what they were encountering in France over those few days.

It was lighthearted and very welcome.

Where do our billionaires go to eat? We have some world class restaurants and chefs here.

It sounds like he went to a local pub carvery.

I reckon he was just having an old fashioned whinge. No real logic, just a stick his bottom lip out exercise.

Also it was a warm and pleasant gesture to France, where people had just been very badly shaken by terrorist incidents and who were genuinely very much in need of a bit of fun at the time. There were all sorts of concerns about terrorism, about hooliganism etc etc

As IF that had anything to do with that. :D A few Irish fan things went viral at Euro 2012, in a much more charming way, and a small amount of the 2016 fans had that at the back of their minds, resulting in tryhard videos that Joe “five foreign people have tweeted about hurling” dot ie would be sure to lap up.

We should all just go to soccer matches in the grimmest, most technical way possible. Must conform! Resistance is futile. Whatever you do - don't stand out. Someone on an internet forum might cringe.

One word for him regarding food differences: Chocolate. American choccy is pure muck. Because they try to milk(no pun*) the profits and the factories are a fair distance from the dairy farms they use UHT milk and the like, so that when you make chocolate with it you get a chemical that is also found in vomit. Nil points 'Merica. :D

*well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Wantedbymany

Vittu wrote: »
    We have so much going for us as a country. Safety is one. Multiple attacks on innocent people across a range of EU countries and the world by stabbing or driving into crowds etc. No wars or major corruption, education, healthcare. We are not the best but far from the worst. I think we love to whinge. I do wish we got more sunny days though.

I don't understand do you live in Ireland ??? Because by the sounds of it you do not, safety? Gangland shootings every other week crocked cops all over the place working with and facilitating major drug deals getting paid off by human traffickers to drop charges 8 cops sacked in West Meath a few weeks ago over corruption , 3 detectives suspended in dundalk for being involved in major crime cab sized houses worth 1.2 million from a cop couldn't explain how he got it that's the tip of the iceberg the you have a forced government that nobody voted in the 4th or 5th in a row if I'm correct the country is controlled by 2 or 3 men who are in the top 10 richest people in Ireland 🀣🀣 take your head out of the sand , then you have criminals the new Ra working with top of the top drug lords in Europe smuggling drips and silently killing people with poison because guns draw too much attention you have international killers getting arrested traveling Ireland to meet with said groups to train then how to kill people silently , I think that you need to pull your head out of the sand

• Registered Users Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Never liked US chocolate. Kinda dry and too sugary

I don't understand do you live in Ireland ??? Because by the sounds of it you do not, safety? Gangland shootings every other week crocked cops all over the place working with and facilitating major drug deals getting paid off by human traffickers to drop charges 8 cops sacked in West Meath a few weeks ago over corruption , 3 detectives suspended in dundalk for being involved in major crime cab sized houses worth 1.2 million from a cop couldn't explain how he got it that's the tip of the iceberg the you have a forced government that nobody voted in the 4th or 5th in a row if I'm correct the country is controlled by 2 or 3 men who are in the top 10 richest people in Ireland 🀣🀣 take your head out of the sand , then you have criminals the new Ra working with top of the top drug lords in Europe smuggling drips and silently killing people with poison because guns draw too much attention you have international killers getting arrested traveling Ireland to meet with said groups to train then how to kill people silently , I think that you need to pull your head out of the sand

I my self am a victim of said groups and their extortion rackets an their is nothing I can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Quoting crap weather and unfriendliness.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youre-not-welcoming-and-no-one-wants-to-live-there-us-billionaire-blasts-ireland-39820146.html

I think he has some valid points. It is dull and depressing, not sure I agree on friendliness though.

I think what he means by no one wants to live here is that the Irish themselves run away to Australia and Canada.

Ireland is a good country to live in all things considered.

I'd take Ireland over the loony bin that is the united states any day. Mr U.S billionaire can go and f*ck himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

If he thinks Ireland is bad today, thank god he wasn’t here in the 80s !! I’m a billionaire get me out of here !

saabsaab wrote: »
    Never liked US chocolate. Kinda dry and too sugary
    Well it's usually over double the sugar and under half the cocoa solids, cos profits. And the milk is dried. The funny thing is folks over there got used to it and like it that way. To the degree that companies bringing out new chocolate ranges actually add that vomit chemical, if the base product doesn't have enough because it's what the national palate wants. One American guy I knew reckoned our chocolate was too fatty and rich and bland. Mad how even small differences in our experiences can make quite large changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,268 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Also with the weather, we might have the odd summer where it rains every day, but at least the whole place doesn’t catch fire every year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Akrasia wrote: »
    Also with the weather, we might have the odd summer where it rains every day, but at least the whole place doesn’t catch fire every year
    "The odd summer"? Good to see the Irish traits of a sense of humour and understatement are alive and well!

Quoting crap weather and unfriendliness.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youre-not-welcoming-and-no-one-wants-to-live-there-us-billionaire-blasts-ireland-39820146.html

I think he has some valid points. It is dull and depressing, not sure I agree on friendliness though.

I think what he means by no one wants to live here is that the Irish themselves run away to Australia and Canada.

He could be looking for the reach around put it out that Ireland is **** and some of the golden circle may reach out to him with incentives to come and stay with his fat stacks of mula

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

He sounds like a proper wanker. The Glassdoor reviews of his company are telling.

Advertisement