Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Goal kicking was brutal and I thought Ben O'Keeffe was particularly pedantic today. Chiefs were consistently the better team though, Highlanders tries were almost against the run of play. I had Highlanders to win by 3, right margin, wrong team.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Agree about the quality, not a classic but the tightness kept it interesting.

Reds beat the Brumbies, go top of the AU table. Brad Thorn is doing a decent job, I reckon this Reds side could beat most NZ sides on their day. Like a glass coffin though "remains to be seen".

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »
    Reds beat the Brumbies, go top of the AU table. Brad Thorn is doing a decent job, I reckon this Reds side could beat most NZ sides on their day. Like a glass coffin though "remains to be seen".

cracker of a game... there are some very very good young players in that reds team

the next time the aussies play a NH team most up here wont recognise any of the names !

Well that first half was worth the stupidly early alarm!! Crusaders losing Goodhue and Moody within 25 minutes was a big hit. Hurricanes tries from their own restarts were spectacular. Think Laumape was lucky not to get red. Two successful Captain's referrals highlighting Paul Williams' failings. I don't rate him as a ref.

• Advertisement

Another golden point finish! Didn't set the alarm so only caught the second half, some brutal defence.

Second half not in the same league as the first. Felt like they were playing Golden Point for the last 15. Almost a relief that the score came so early in the golden point period. Don't think anyone was expecting that Havili would take the drop goal with Mo'unga at the bottom of the ruck. Crusaders not looking as invincible as they did at the start of the competition.

Will have to watch the replay even I though I am not a fan of watching games when I know the result.

A good thing for the comp that there seems to be more parity. Right now it seems like any team can beat any other team, Chiefs no longer serial losers and Crusaders not looking ahead of the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah baby yeah.

Moana Pasifika and Fijian Drua confirmed. With help from World Rugby who are giving one milllllllion dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Yeah baby yeah.

Moana Pasifika and Fijian Drua confirmed. With help from World Rugby who are giving one milllllllion dollars.

Good news hopefully it strengthens the PI nation's and they actually play there super rugby game's there.

• Advertisement

Good news hopefully it strengthens the PI nation's and they actually play there super rugby game's there.

Fiji are hoping to host at ;least 6 homes games per season in Suva

personally i hope, if anything at all, that this marks a complete schism between Fijian Rugby and Fijian politics.

Moana Pasifika will be a success if they are playing in and recruiting from the islands. Otherwise it is in danger of being the Southern Kings of NZ.

Moana Pasifika will be a success if they are playing in and recruiting from the islands. Otherwise it is in danger of being the Southern Kings of NZ.

The will be playing in the island otherwise known as the North Island, in South Auckland to be precise.

I do hope they have Islanders and not Kiwis with Pacific heritage, but we see.

The will be playing in the island otherwise known as the North Island, in South Auckland to be precise.

I do hope they have Islanders and not Kiwis with Pacific heritage, but we see.

It will likely be at least half, roughly 50% of their player base is NZ born, and then another x% living in NZ.

Point being if you have ambitions for the ABs, would you not prefer to play for the Blues? So it could be the castoffs. Hope not, hope they can recruit a few overseas based PI players back at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It will likely be at least half, roughly 50% of their player base is NZ born, and then another x% living in NZ.

Point being if you have ambitions for the ABs, would you not prefer to play for the Blues? So it could be the castoffs. Hope not, hope they can recruit a few overseas based PI players back at least.

Going by the Blues history (until the last 2 years) those castoffs would probably beat them.

It might attract a few guys who played for NZ, Aus, France or England who then went overseas and would like to reconnect with their PI heritage. I assume they'd play one game a year in Samoa and Tonga. Not sure what the infrastructure in either country is like for hosting matches.

Also, I think this is great news. Just keep the politicians out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah you would hope over the next few years as contracts etc expire that it'd be a massive draw to bring lads playing in France or England back to the PIs.

That would be the major downside of basing yourself in Apia (for example). The known corruption of their Union. If not for that, I think there would be a desire to try to build better infrastructure and play there.

D Mac starting at 10 on Saturday, now that's going to be interesting!! Super rugby Aotearoa games at the relatively civilised times of 8.05am this Friday and Saturday. Will be watching the second half of tomorrow's game at my desk though.

TJP wants to go to the Sydney Roosters in the NRL. Might be contraction negotiation but his age profile and recent form isn't going to warrant a big contract regardless. Then again, with Fakatava injured it might change the equation a bit.

Terrible start for the Highlanders

Imagine getting your pass intercepted OVER your own try line

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭fitz

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Terrible start for the Highlanders

Imagine getting your pass intercepted OVER your own try line

Brutal from Smith... Not the place for a flat pass.
    They looked good for their try to go back ahead though.

Blues discipline is absolutely shocking.

It was clearly Caleb Clarke's hair that was holding him back. He's on fire today, turning up everywhere. Blues were at sea when Robinson went off but finding form again. Cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Contact with the head..... accidental... the disparities between the application of the rules in the hemispheres is widening I think

Contact with the head..... accidental... the disparities between the application of the rules in the hemispheres is widening I think

Something I've noticed watching Super Rugby the last few weeks, they seem to penalize high tackles less. Stone cold Red card just there though and they got it 100% right.

A key stat is how often you score points when in the 22, and the Blues are so bad at converting their chances.

Edit: Himeno has a great smile permanently plastered on his face.

Hell yeah baby!!!

Cracking game. A deserved win for the Highlanders.

I’m going to get in early and say that highlanders replacement LH de groot is a future star. Looks really promising for a 22 year old.

• Advertisement

I’m going to get in early and say that highlanders replacement LH de groot is a future star. Looks really promising for a 22 year old.

He certainly put in a great cameo against the Blues.

Advertisement