Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Rugby 2021

• 02-12-2020 7:10pm
    Subscribers Posts: 40,970 ✭✭✭✭

Highlanders name squad for 2021

There are six new faces and two returning familiar faces among the Highlanders squad announced today. The squad features 22 forwards and 17 backs and will again be co-captained by Ash Dixon and Aaron Smith.

A returning familiar face is former All Black Liam Squire who last played for the team in 2019 and has been back in NZ rehabilitating an injury after a brief stint playing in Japan, he is expected to be back to full fitness by the time the competition starts in February. The big loose forward at full fitness will add some punch to an already exciting looking set of loose forwards with the exciting Japanese World Cup player Kazuki Himeno included along with former Crusader Billy Harmon and James Lentjes returning from injury after missing Super Rugby Aotearoa in 2020.

The front row club will have extended depth with the arrival of Wallaby front rower Jermaine Ainsley and former Highlander Josh Hohneck. Established locks Josh Dickson, Paripari Parkinson, Manaaki Selby-Rickit will be joined by former All Black Bryn Evans recently returned from the UK where he had distinguished career for London Irish, Biarritz and the Sale Sharks, his brother Gareth played 44 games for the Highlanders.

The arrival of former Crusader Fetuli Paea and Soloma Alaimalo will provide some more firepower to the back division and the return from injury of Sam Gilbert and Connor Garden-Bachop will be a welcome addition.

Head Coach Tony Brown will be joined by Assistant Coaches Clarke Dermody, Riki Flutey and newly appointed Defence Coach Shane Christie. He is excited by the squad that will assemble in early January before their opening game against the Crusaders on Friday 26 February.

“I feel like we are bit more experienced this year - with the likes of Bryn Evans, Liam Squire and Josh Hohneck who have all played a lot of top level rugby and Jimmy Lentjes coming back and of course two very experienced captains in Aaron and Ash we have a better balance to our squad.”

“We certainly have a bit more strike power in the backs as well and I’m excited to see how returning players like Sam (Gilbert), CGB (Connor Garden-Bachop) and Thomas (Umaga-Jensen) come back and combine with our new arrivals Fetuli (Paea) and Solomon (Alaimalo)”

Highlanders Squad 2021
    Forwards:
    Front Row: Daniel Lienert-Brown, Jeff Thwaites, Ayden Johnstone, Ethan De Groot, Jermaine Ainsley*, Siate Tokolahi, Josh Hohneck**, Liam Coltman, Ash Dixon, Ricky Jackson
    Locks: Paripari Parkinson, Josh Dickson, Manaaki Selby-Rickit , Bryn Evans*
    Loosies: Shannon Frizell, Sione Misiloi, James Lentjes, Billy Harmon*, Kazuki Himeno*, Marino Mikaele-Tu’u, Teariki Ben- Nicholas, Liam Squire**
    Backs:

Half- Backs: Aaron Smith, Kayne Hammington, Folau Fakatava
    First-Five: Josh Ioane, Mitchell Hunt
    Midfield: Thomas Umaga-Jensen, Patelesio Tomkinson, Michael Collins, Fetuli Paea*, Scott Gregory
    Outside Backs: Jona Nareki, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Vilimoni Koroi***, Solomon Alaimalo*, Sam Gilbert, Connor Garden-Bachop, Ngatungane Punivai
    Not back from 2020: Jack Whetton (NSW), Dillon Hunt (Blues), Rob Thompson ( Japan) Bryn Gatland (Chiefs), Jesse Parete (Japan), Josh Iosefa-Scott, Zane Kapeli, Kirisi Kuridrani, Teihorangi Walden, Tevita Nabura, Josh McKay

*New Highlanders in 2021
    **Returning Highlanders in 2021
    ***Vili Koroi will assemble with NZ sevens team in preparation for the Tokyo Olympics

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Nice thread mate, might want to edit the title though.

Here's a PDF of all NZ 2021 squads (wider training groups TBA).

Note that the Blues and Chiefs still have a player each to announce.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,970 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hahashake wrote: »
    Nice thread mate, might want to edit the title though.

Here's a PDF of all NZ 2021 squads (wider training groups TBA).

Note that the Blues and Chiefs still have a player each to announce.

haha thanks

2020 has me fcuked up :P

ill post the other squads in separate posts below.

Blues Squad

James Parsons
    Soane Vikena
    Alex Hodgeman

Nepo Laulala
    James Lay
    Marcel Renata
    Karl Tu’inukuafe
    Ofa Tuungafasi

Gerard Cowley-Tuioti
    Sam Darry
    Josh Goodhue
    Jacob Pierce
    Patrick Tuipulotu

Blake Gibson
    Dillon Hunt
    Akira Ioane
    Dalton Papalii
    Taine Plumtree
    Tom Robinson
    Hoskins Sotutu

Finlay Christie
    Sam Nock
    Jonathan Ruru

Otere Black
    Stephen Perofeta
    Harry Plummer

TJ Faiane
    Rieko Ioane
    Tanielu Tele’a

Caleb Clarke
    AJ Lam
    Jone Macilai-Tori
    Emoni Narawa
    Zarn Sullivan
    Mark Telea
    Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens

Chiefs Squad

Nathan Harris
    Bradley Slater
    Samisoni Taukie’aho

Sione Mafileo
    Atunaisa Moli
    Ollie Norris
    Reuben O’Neill
    Aidan Ross
    Angus Ta’avao

Naitoa Ah Kuoi
    Josh Lord
    Laghlan McWhannell
    Tupou Vaa’i

Kaylum Boshier
    Lachlan Boshier
    Mitchell Brown
    Sam Cane
    Pita Gus Sowakula
    Luke Jacobson
    Mitch Karpik
    Simon Parker

Xavier Roe
    Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi
    Brad Weber

Bryn Gatland
    Rivez Reihana
    Kaleb Trask

Anton Lienert-Brown
    Alex Nankivell
    Bailyn Sullivan
    Quinn Tupaea

Jonah Lowe
    Damian McKenzie
    Etene Nanai-Seturo
    Shaun Stevenson
    Chase Tiatia
    Sean Wainui

Hurricanes Squad

Asafo Aumua
    Dane Coles
    Ricky Riccitelli

Fraser Armstrong
    Alex Fidow
    Tyrel Lomax
    Tevita Mafileo
    Xavier Numia
    Pouri Rakete-Stones

James Blackwell
    Kane Leaupepe
    Liam Mitchell
    Scott Scrafton
    Isaia Walker Leaware

Gareth Evans
    Vaea Fifita
    Devan Flanders
    Brayden Iose
    Du Plessis Kirifi
    Reed Prinsep
    Ardie Savea

Jamie Booth
    Luke Campbell
    Jonathan Taumateine

Jackson Garden Bachop
    Simon Hickey

Vince Aso
    Ngani Laumape
    Billy Proctor
    Julian Savea

Jordie Barrett
    Wes Goosen
    Ruben Love
    Pepesana Patafilo
    Salesi Rayasi
    Danny Toala
    Peter Umaga Jensen
    Lolagi Visinia

• Advertisement

Crusaders Squad

Andrew Makalio
    Brodie McAlister
    Codie Taylor

Michael Alaalatoa
    George Bower
    Ollie Jager
    Joe Moody
    Fletcher Newell
    Isi Tuungafasi
    Tamaiti Williams

Scott Barrett
    Mitchell Dunshea
    Luke Romano
    Quentin Strange
    Sam Whitelock

Ethan Blackadder
    Tom Christie
    Whetukamokamo Douglas
    Cullen Grace
    Sione Havili
    Tom Sanders

Mitch Drummond
    Ere Enari
    Bryn Hall

Brett Cameron
    Richie Mo’unga

Fergus Burke
    Braydon Ennor
    Jack Goodhue
    Dallas McLeod

George Bridge
    Leicester Faingaanuku
    Chay Fihaki
    David Havili
    Will Jordan
    Manasa Mataele
    Sevu Reece
    Isaiah Puniva

Western Force are building an interesting international squad: Rob Kearney (IRE), Richard Kahui (NZL), Jeremy Thrush (NZL), Santiago Medrano (ARG), Domingo Miotti (ARG), and Tomás Lezana (ARG) already signed so far.

Western Force are building an interesting international squad: Rob Kearney (IRE), Richard Kahui (NZL), Jeremy Thrush (NZL), Santiago Medrano (ARG), Domingo Miotti (ARG), and Tomás Lezana (ARG) already signed so far.

Kahui and Thrush returning from last season...

they've also added Thomas Cubelli, Tevita Kuridrani, Tom Robertson and Julian Montya...
    another 211 international caps of experience to add to the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Kahui was always a favourite of mine, really tough tackler.

Kahui was always a favourite of mine, really tough tackler.
    If he wasn't so injury-prone and stuck around in NZ, he would've had many more international caps. A classy and somewhat forgotten/underrated player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

What's the future for Super Rugby without South Africa?
    Will they invite Western Force back and invite a team from Argentina and maybe a Fijian side also to make it 12?

Have Argentina got the resources to have their own league, in these times where global travel is restricted.

Or a team from Japan?

Edit, just read an article saying that South Africa are trying to negotiate a way to enter Toyota Cheetahs into Super Rugby as their sole representative team whenever it kicks off again.
    https://www.sarugby.co.za/news-features/articles/2020/09/29/saru-members-vote-to-seek-northern-hemisphere-future/

Worth noting the England Cricket team had to cancel their tour after they had already arrived in SA with no games played due to Covid, so unless all players and staff are rapidly vaccinated I don't see anything happening in the first half of 2021 in SA.

The Cheetah's proposal is hilarious, though I don't blame then for trying.

Worth noting the England Cricket team had to cancel their tour after they had already arrived in SA with no games played due to Covid, so unless all players and staff are rapidly vaccinated I don't see anything happening in the first half of 2021 in SA.

The Cheetah's proposal is hilarious, though I don't blame then for trying.

What's the cheetahs proposal?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What's the cheetahs proposal?

As per Jump_In_Jack's link, they will try to get the Cheetahs into SR even if they join ProX with their top 4.

Which is ridiculous unless they are based in the Pacific e.g. Sydney.

As per Jump_In_Jack's link, they will try to get the Cheetahs into SR even if they join ProX with their top 4.

Which is ridiculous unless they are based in the Pacific e.g. Sydney.

agreed on the ridiculousness of it.

"only join if its cost neutral".... erh the boks made japan pay an exorbitant amount to have the sunwolves enter....

as you say, unless they are located in aus or NZ then its a nonsense suggestion.

personally id prefer to see a trans tasman competition with a couple of pacific island teams (on based out of Suva itself, and another australian based but made up of PI players).
    Eventually in time that could allow the formation of a fijian pro team in itself and a moana pasifika.

5 NZ teams, 5 Aus teams and 2 PI teams.....

just had a look at the squads for the upcoming aotearoa comp and god theres a dearth of top class 10s going to be playing this season.
    Apart from Mounga, the only other 10s that have been capped is Josh Ioane and Brett Cameron, with 1 cap to their names each.

The blues lose B Barrett to japan, and are left with Perofeta, Black and Plummer... theyre capable but not outstanding fly halves

Chiefs lose both Cruden and Tiaan Falcon to japan, and bring in Gatland, who is never anything more than a stop gap. Hopefully Trask will get good game time as that lad has a big future. I know very little about Reihana other than hes a baby black and got game time with waikato last season. They still have DMAC but hes primarily a 15 these days.

The crusaders hold onto mounga, but they will have to mind him as Cameron has never pushed on after some initial promise, and burke is the apprentice of the group.

Highlanders will hope that Ioane stays fit for the whole competition as i dont want to see Mitchell Hunt walk out in the 10 shirt in anything more than an emergency.

Hurricanes have lost marshall to a long term injury, and smith to japan, but have brought in Simon Hickey from edinburgh. Ill say it now but Garden-bachop and Hickey arent good enough 10s to lead them to a SR comp victory....especially with the loss of Perenara as well. Pity, as that back line could do real damagae. Maybe Jordie B will see some time at 10. This will be another year of rebuilding for the canes i think.

Hickey is a real head scratcher considering his career, sounds harsh but he was a flop everywhere he went as far as I understand. Meanwhile Fletcher Smith doesn't pick up a new contract so goes to Japan. Canes could do worse than experimenting with Jordie at 10.

Will be interesting who (if any) of the 3 Blues 10s will finally put their hand up for higher honours, they are all decent players so realistically could be any of them or more than 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

When is the NZ super rugby tournament due to start?

First game on 26th of February, Highlanders v Crusaders.

Am I correct in saying at present there is no UK TV deal to show these matches live across these islands and we may have to settle for Youtube highlights?

• Advertisement

Crusaders brought in rene ranger and josh mckay as injury cover..... Braydon ennor out for the season with acl.. And bridge and makaele nursing injuries.

Am I correct in saying at present there is no UK TV deal to show these matches live across these islands and we may have to settle for Youtube highlights?

You're correct in that there's no deal currently, talks are on going.

However I'd be highly surprised if no deal accrues. Sky are front runners but probably playing hard ball because of the proposed mid afternoon kicks offs which would be middle of the night games here.

BT may not get a look in as they would have to create new deals with aus and NZ TV companies which would be heavily influenced by murdocks sky, unless BT play on broadcasting themselves, which would be expensive.

I'd imagine sky will announce something shortly, unless amazon gazump them

However I'd be highly surprised if no deal accrues. Sky are front runners but probably playing hard ball because of the proposed mid afternoon kicks offs which would be middle of the night games here.

BT may not get a look in as they would have to create new deals with aus and NZ TV companies which would be heavily influenced by murdocks sky, unless BT play on broadcasting themselves, which would be expensive.

I would not be as confident of a deal being done of any kind. This contract is surely low on list of priorites for TV broadcasters unless it is tied in with Rugby Championship and summer tours of NH teams. If it is thats a different ball game but if its Super Rugby on its own then like Top 14 I don't think we will see any TV broadcaster bother paying for it under present financial climate.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1359790276345266180

I wonder if he will stick around like Jager?

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1359790276345266180

I wonder if he will stick around like Jager?

hes got the moves like Jager..........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Get out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Murdoch doesn’t own Sky, it is a wholly owned subsidiary of Comcast Corp and has been for over two years now. Usually in any event the host broadcaster of an event has little say in the overseas rights anyway - they are expected to provide the world feed to overseas rights holders as part of their deal. (Some exceptions where the host broadcaster also picks up worldwide rights. Very unusual outside of US college sports).

Sky have virtually shut down their Rugby Union department over the last few years. Sanzaar and the Lions are basically their only rugby left. On the one hand, this deal is not top priority for them both given the time zone difference and the fact that it’s a sport they have all but quit now. On the other hand, the Sanzaar rights give Sky a toe-hold in the sport that if they lost, it would tip the balance in favour of cancellation for rugby fans.

Amazon will have no interest in this. They are being quite targeted about rights they do pick up and a competition over the other side of the world with little casual viewing here isn’t their thing, even if the rights fee was peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭swiwi_

And if he plays lock for Southland in the NPC, he’ll be maroon 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

swiwi_ wrote: »
    And if he plays lock for Southland in the NPC, he’ll be maroon 5.

You can also get out!
    :D

• Advertisement

The preseason trial match ended 28-26 to the Crusaders, though the teams were almost completely different for both sides in either half and the Highlanders first half side with Regan was up 26-0. Jager also went down with an injury.

Advertisement