Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2020: ROUND 16 Bahrain 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently George should be ok, Brundle said since it was changed within 3 laps he should be ok.

That's if you use the wrong tyres but don't use more then your allocation I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

According to Ted on the Notebook now:

Late call sent out but Russell's side didn't get the message on the intercom.
    Bottas's team did get the call and his tyres were brought out.
    Russell was sent back out with two of Bottas's tyres and two of his own on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

recyclebin wrote: »
    Wonder has Checo agreed a compensation packet with Racing Point yet? They might have to stump up more to terminate his contract now! Wonder what his win bonus was too?
    He's still just a mediocre driver who fluked it today. Maldonado and Gasly also managed to win races in not dissimilar circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Three wheel mismatch happened to bottas once in spa, was 5 second penalty back then

Ted just said Hamilton cant go to Abu Dhabi according to an email that says all Bahrain attendees who fail a covid test cant travel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently George should be ok, Brundle said since it was changed within 3 laps he should be ok.

That applies for the situation where you fit two different compounds on the car. Not if you use another drivers tyres.

chicorytip wrote: »
    He's still just a mediocre driver who fluked it today. Maldonado and Gasly also managed to win races in not dissimilar circumstances.
    Perez has consistently got podiums in a slower car. He deserved a lucky win. I think he's better than a mediocre driver if you compare him to every one else that's on this or next years grid.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

According to Verstappen before the race it was a "Mickey Mouse circuit". Well I have to say that I found it hugely entertaining and I'm all in favour of a couple of short tracks like that where the field are constantly on top of one another being part of the calendar each year. Absolutely delighted for Perez to finally get his long-overdue first win, and really happy for Ocon getting his first podium as well, I've a lot of time for both drivers. Less enthused about Stroll's third place, you could tell in the post-race interviews that he felt it should have been him and not Checo getting the team's first win. He's not necessarily an untalented driver, but essentially he's keeping Perez from having a drive next season, and that has to be down to his father owning the team.

As for Mercedes, I was gutted for Russell, he basically had every bit of bad luck going for the weekend heaped upon him. But he did show what he's capable of in a good car, his overtake of Bottas in particular demonstrating that. To be fair to Bottas, he was always considered a quick driver when he was at Williams, and his championship performances in 2014 and 2015 demonstrated that. However I do feel that, despite being paired with by far the best driver on the grid, he's been guilty of slacking and relying too much on the dominance of the Merc rather than his own driving ability. I'd like to see him thrown into a Renault or a McLaren, for example, and see what he could do when he actually has to fight for something. I think he could get back some of his motivation and show what it was that made Mercedes hire him in the first place. But as it stands, if I were Toto I'd be seriously considering if there was any way of getting Russell into the team next year in Bottas' place, because I think he could learn a huge amount from Hamilton and potentially be ready to take over as the number one driver when Lewis decides to call it a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭MaddChris

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Mercedes has been fined €20,000 for the tyre mix-up - meaning Russell keeps his points

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    Mercedes has been fined €20,000 for the tyre mix-up - meaning Russell keeps his points

That's a pointless fine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That's a pointless fine.

Most fines in F1 are, but the alternatives are that Russell gets disqualified for something that's out of his control, or the team lose his constructor's points, which is irrelevant at this stage. However according to the judgement published by the FIA, there were mitigating circumstances that warranted leniency.

https://twitter.com/Fanat1cos/status/1335694971484200967

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    That's a pointless fine.

Would have been a bit harsh to dq Russell - without a precedent and obviously an error, that was immediately rectified , a fine is fair.

They gained no advantage, and it wasn't a safety issue so I think the stewards used common sense and got this one right.

Has anyone got pitstop tyre data? Because if Bottas went back out on the same set of tyres then what was the issue? Since he was meant to run til the end on them anyway like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Has anyone got pitstop tyre data? Because if Bottas went back out on the same set of tyres then what was the issue? Since he was meant to run til the end on them anyway like.

Bottas went out on the same set he came in on which were pretty much dead by the end., Russell was given Bottas tires . So the issue is only on Russell's car. Wrong tires and more sets used than is allowed.

They had been sitting around for almost a minute before he went back out on them, so they had lost a lot of temperature. Also, everyone else had got mediums on at that stage, so he was fighting a losing battle to keep up on the restart back in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

chicorytip wrote: »

That’s nonsense. He was running in third and had even got close to overtaking Bottas before Leclerc hit him. From there he was dropped to last and fought his way back up to third on merit. He got lucky that the Mercs had issues but that doesn’t make him a mediocre driver - the Mercedes is basically a different formula to every other car so it would be impossible for anyone to ever win a race without them having problems. Perez has consistently performed for years now and earned that victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Watching the replay on Channel 4 and it has to be said, George Russell firmly dispelled the myth that is often rolled out that the Mercedes is uniquely poor in traffic and that’s why their regular drivers so often fail to overtake and move forward on the rare occasion they need to.

Wolff dropped the F-bomb live. Lazenby almost fell off his chair apologising...

• Advertisement

Joeface wrote: »
    Bottas went out on the same set he came in on which were pretty much dead by the end., Russell was given Bottas tires . So the issue is only on Russell's car. Wrong tires and more sets used than is allowed.
    They had been sitting around for almost a minute before he went back out on them, so they had lost a lot of temperature. Also, everyone else had got mediums on at that stage, so he was fighting a losing battle to keep up on the restart back in traffic.

So he was meant to go to the end on them anyway. He had plenty of time under the SC to get them up to temperature. If they were as bad as stated he would have been swamped on the restart without stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Getting worn out tyres up to temp and keeping them working is near impossible.

Heat cycles can be detrimental to tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was some race. Is sure it was going to be boring.
    Delighted for Sergio Perez to win but devastated for George Russel. Hopefully he gets one more go in the Merc next weekend.
    Delighted for Ocon and Renault too getting 2nd.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Wow what a race! Username at its most accurate 8 years after creation. Get Sergio in that RB next season and get Russell in the Merc to see how he and Hamilton compare. Great to see the old Jordan team get a win and absolutely chuffed for Checo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh my god. That was some race to watch for the fans & for the neutral. It was absolutely brilliant.

It had a lot of tension out of there & a lot of mistakes for one world constructor championship team that was not part of the normal script at all.

But holy sh*t. What a horrible day for Mercedes in general. George Russell had really such a brilliant opportunity to win the race today for Mercedes.

When he had that great start against Bottas from lap 1 of the race; there was a lot of faith in him from everyone within the team to get that important victory. But the strategy with putting out the wrong tyres for both himself & Bottas during a double pit stop near the last 20 laps of the race was really painful for both of them. And then with Russell having the front left puncture on his tyre was so heartbreaking to hear as a neutral.

You wouldn't want to be put in a worse place than that moment given it wasn't really the drivers fault to begin with as soon as we hear the words "Lights out & away we go" when they go out to race on that circuit. At least George has kept his points, he got the fastest lap & he is also the F1 driver of the day from all of the fans who had voted for him today when it took place online. He did a superb job for Mercedes today. It is a real shame that he did not translate his level of brilliance on that racetrack into a huge win. But George has made both the team & neutral fans of F1 very proud yesterday. Well done to him.

But it was a huge day for Sergio Perez. He has won his 1st ever F1 race in his motorsport career. It was a wonderful moment for him. The level of emotion being shown on his face when he was told the result in his car & when he was on the podium was something to behold. It felt like that his win was a big miracle even though his future in the sport it's not known to be secure in the sport after the Abu Dhabi GP occurs next weekend.

In the era of Covid; having 2 F1 drivers who are not part of the bigger teams win their 1st ever race this year in their F1 career does mark the start of a big change in the dynamics of how they can win these races within the F1 Hybrid era. It tells you that if any F1 team & driver out there who can make the effort to have a good strategy can have the potential to gain a huge result when they cross over the line over the other teams that will compete in a race. You just have to think of the names who won them this year to date in Gasly & Perez. These results were considered gold dust for all of the smaller teams in the sport up until now. But 2020 can allow them to make some big progress which could net them some more race wins rather than just one race on their CV.

That's not a bad result for any of them considering that F1 was nearly close to getting cancelled this year because of Covid.

With all that in mind; what do you think the final race at Abu Dhabi this year could give to us as fans?

Could George Russell become only the 3rd driver from the usual norm to win a GP this year? That, along with Lance getting pole position in Turkey some weeks ago, would be a remarkable achievement to see in the hybrid era of the sport in general. I would certainly hope that a win happens for Russell if Lewis Hamilton is not able to come back to Abu Dhabi later this week following his recent Covid diagnosis last Monday. I wish him all the best. I hope he gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

all the talk at the front, Pietro Fittipaldi did a decent job . No accidents , no incidents , a clean race on his debut . Not much more could have been asked for. Not a bad for someone who had not driven a Racing car in over eight months .e

Does anyone know if He also gets to race again on Sunday or are they bringing in one of their new signings .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

IMHO , there is no way Mercedes where going to let GR win in that car , the papers would have lit up about Hamiltons skill and brand , hence a perfectly oiled machine suddenly goes rogue for this race and f*cks up all around occur ..
    if he drives next weekend and is allowed to win , i'd be very surprised.
    call me paranoid, but it was a cluster f*ck out of no where ...and it doesnt smell right.
    i think for business reasons he got ' incidented'

and i know where the CT forum is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

The car really is ridiculously ahead of all the others. Your conspiracy theory could well be what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Even when the golden boy isn’t there it’s about protecting his image within the team. Russell had the measure of Bottas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,473 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Great race
    Delighted , devastated and commiserated for Russel.
    He disspelled a lot of myths today, from "the merc cant overtake" to "bottas is a competent driver"

Hopefully he'll be in that car again permanently next year

Harika wrote: »
    Three wheel mismatch happened to bottas once in spa, was 5 second penalty back then
    He did a stint on them though.

Advertisement