Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charts ( Up to T120 ) Winter 2020 ** READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The models do seem to be showing snow for Northern, Northern Ireland on Saturday. It doesn't appear to stick at low levels, but the conditions are acceptable for low level snow fall.

This will probably head further south with time.

Soundings:
    8UJHcT1.png
    ty2QtQO.png
    xTxtdMG.png

WRF
    qLsTQsf.png
    lBQACw2.png
    nbJ7uWf.png

As this is only 60 hours out, I don't see the event turning to rain, it may shift location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

Personally I think it will be the Northeastern corner of Northern Ireland. Very few if any areas of the South at risk from this. However Sunday may be different

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

8B6FF6E9-7D59-491A-A790-B6650C544B6C.jpeg.77d8829d54423f977d61945522e45fe2.jpeg

ECM has snow potential a little further south than that.

• Advertisement

No doubt snow AGAIN for the same people that received it out of a similar synoptic situation last week and the week before that.

These frontal systems rarely produce snow over Northern NI, it’s nearly always over SE Scotland or South Ulster. Never here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This weekend is definitely trending a bit colder than expected for parts of the republic now also at risk of wintry precipitation this weekend. Yesterday the forecast for Meath was a cool weekend around 6 or 7C but now Saturday is down for 4C and Sunday only 2 or 3C.

Not sure if we'll get snow this far south but cold rain and sleet is a definite possibility. Some of the models are hinting at the possibility of a major sleet/snow event next Tuesday for north Leinster, north midlands and Donegal as well, but that's along way out.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    No doubt snow AGAIN for the same people that received it out of a similar synoptic situation last week and the week before that.

These frontal systems rarely produce snow over Northern NI, it’s nearly always over SE Scotland or South Ulster. Never here.
    Maybe sell the boat and the plane and buy a little winter cottage up the wicklow mountains:)
    The largest Atlantic systems tend to come in from the southwest usually
    Its a climatological norm on this island
    The wicklow mountains tend to be often placed just right to take advantage as is south Ulster
    Thats what these are doing,though obviously a mountainy location further south is good
    If you're not fond of Wicklow,the Galtee's are just as snowy

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

ECM 00z for Saturday morning.

541205.jpg

Similar on some of the higher resolution models which show increased wintriness through Saturday morning, not quite as optimistic as ECM

anim_xyf9.gif

anim_ptd3.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

current sleet/snow projections by the ECM over the next 5 days or so. Take this with a large pinch of salt for now, could easily be just cold rain in reality but it's nice to see there is a chance.

Saturday looks cold and wintry particularly for Wicklow Mountains and Mourne Mountains. Wintry precipitation possible on lower ground but probably sleet/wet snow falling onto wet ground rather than lying snow.

ECMWF_060_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

ECM is also going for a prolonged spell of heavy sleet/wet snow on Sunday, this may transition back to cold rain before clearing.

ECMWF_084_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

ECM is going for a very wet day on Tuesday, but some of the other models are hinting that this could be wintry for north Leinster and Ulster. Too far away to tell right now.

ECMWF_126_GB_SFC_fr-FR_fr.png

All in all regardless of the precipitation type, looks like a very unsettled spell ahead over the next 5 days with no shortage of rain and sleet. Mountains may get a hammering.

GFS edges things further south for Saturday (and the snow line along with it)

45-7UK.GIF?28-12

45-580UK.GIF?28-12

42-574UK.GIF?28-12

45-574UK.GIF?28-12

48-574UK.GIF?28-12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Billcarson

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Aw poor you.
    I've not seen settled snow since 2018. I'm not crying about it!

My god you need to grow up, I'm sick to death of reading this childish nonsense in the threads. Seriously, others are possibly getting snow and you're begrudging like they've won the lotto.

I'd love some snow, but I'm aware of the climate, having lived here for decades.

Snow has the ability to do that to people! Its snow after all lol.

I would still be very cautious about this weekends's snow risk. The charts don't seem to take into account that there will be an onshore wind from the Irish sea and unless we are near the freezer that is usually curtains for snow during frontal events.

The weekend is now starting to look quite chilly indeed with temperatures generally 2 to 4C on Saturday/Sunday away from the far south and south-west. Dewpoints are marginal especially early on Saturday and from Sunday afternoon.

GFS is going for a slight dusting across the centre of the country but like last Saturday, amounts will be very small between 0.1 and 1cm.

75-780UK.GIF?28-12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Gonzo wrote: »
    I would still be very cautious about this weekends's snow risk. The charts don't seem to take into account that there will be an onshore wind from the Irish sea and unless we are near the freezer that is usually curtains for snow during frontal events.

Had noticed that too. Unlike last weekend, when there was a light offshore breeze near the east coast, this weekend will see a keen easterly. Even if there is an identical setup this weekend as last, APART from the wind strength and direction, the east coast will likely just see cold rain or maybe some sleet or ice pellets mixed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

highdef wrote: »
    Had noticed that too. Unlike last weekend, when there was a light offshore breeze near the east coast, this weekend will see a keen easterly. Even if there is an identical setup this weekend as last, APART from the wind strength and direction, the east coast will likely just see cold rain or maybe some sleet or ice pellets mixed in.

But does there come a point where the stronger onshore wind actually helps as it has less time to modify and we benefit from the long land track from Europe over the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Tomorrow I think M.E will issue a yellow snow warning for Central areas for the weekend.

Some places had more than a slight dusting last Saturday. It might not happen, but some places around the midlands and north of it could see a decent covering on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes defo not a light dusting here, about 5-6cm of snow in this part of Dublin
    Some places had more than a slight dusting last Saturday. It might not happen, but some places around the midlands and north of it could see a decent covering on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Reversal wrote: »
    But does there come a point where the stronger onshore wind actually helps as it has less time to modify and we benefit from the long land track from Europe over the UK.

Yes but in this case it will be (yet again) a marginal event, if it happens at all.

• Advertisement

09355133-0CFE-4DDD-84D4-631ADAAA066C.jpeg.1de3be83cf4ded7d036ea8fa5813404a.jpeg

i know these are deceptive, that's not necessarily how much would accumulate, but nice to look at all the same- well maybe not for some members:)

And this could easily be a cold rain and sleet event for all of us on lower ground yet.

Probably a fair reality, cold rain for much of Leinster with that onshore wind off a fairly mild Irish sea with snow confined to high ground. Better chance of a dusting in the midlands and further west.

Probably a fair reality, cold rain for much of Leinster with that onshore wind off a fairly mild Irish sea with snow confined to high ground. Better chance of a dusting in the midlands and further west.

Hopefully after a week or so, we won't be having to use the word marginal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Might be no harm if a separate thread was started for the weekend. Sunday looks the best day for Snowfall to lower levels. Saturday at present looks set to be more of a mix of cold rain and sleet to lower level areas of Leinster, South Ulster and north Connacht with snow over the higher ground parts there.

Mod Note: I've had to delete over 20 posts about who's area or local mountain receives more snow. This is completely off topic. This is the technical discussion thread about charts/data over the next week. This is not a competition about which mountain in Ulster or Leinster does better. Any further off topic posts will be deleted. Now back to the model watching/charts.

Mod Note: I've had to delete over 20 posts about who's area or local mountain receives more snow. This is completely off topic. This is the technical discussion thread about charts/data over the next week. This is not a competition about which mountain in Ulster or Leinster does better. Any further off topic posts will be deleted. Now back to the model watching/charts.
    Apologies for my part.

Based on the 9Z and 6Z ICON run, colder air arrives into Northern NI this evening and stays over the general region to the end of the run.

The air appears to come form a North-easterly direction.

Freezing Levels

T-14
    mMusoUj.png

T-26
    UPr98GY.png

T-49
    exXDfaM.png

T-75
    rWuNtAm.png

T-93
    h3RzbXr.png

T-99
    h3RzbXr.png

T-108
    eaEgHuv.png

T-114
    IKYmyOx.png

T-120
    hEw401C.png

The air is cold enough for sea level snow with evaporative cooling and frontal situations, with surface temps of 3-4c most days. The cold air may head south later.

Frontal event appears to occur over Ulster between T-99 to T-120. But this will probably trend south as has happened with recent frontal events.

Although, this airmass doesn't appear to be too saturated, which can lower the snow/rain line.

Dew points go negative from the early hours of tomorrow and quite a low snow/rain line.

rdEX22M.png

41RwoXm.png

8q8ruq3.png

GmH4cuy.png

zQxuLmN.png

mCfO2Yj.png

LRQQH2q.png

BgR17mO.png

jOriwYk.png

Nearly surface wet bulb zero lines too, which is very low (<300m needed for sea level snow).

MuISE3d.gif

64upBQo.gif

BmwXV8v.gif

So, this looks to be the type of airmass that can deliver snow showers at 3-4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

I heard somebody mentioning Icon charts for next Tuesday. Any views from the experts on here (and thanks as ever for sharing your knowledge).

• Advertisement

Scrabbel wrote: »
    I heard somebody mentioning Icon charts for next Tuesday. Any views from the experts on here (and thanks as ever for sharing your knowledge).

The Icon is still showing a potentially major wintry event for Tuesday. It's been showing this for the past 2 days. Not sure I agree with it as Tuesday/Wednesday are going to be relatively mild especially across the southern half of the country.

iconeu_uk1-1-96-0.png?29-10

Majority of the other models are showing a generally very wet day on Tuesday of rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement