Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

blanch152 wrote: »
    I see he has apologised to Varadkar. Maybe some of those around here who said there was no reference to Varadkar's sexuality would consider and reflect how little they understand of dog-whistle homophobia, and how maybe they should reconsider how they respond when it is raised. If you missed the dog-whistle homophobia in Stanley's tweet and how it could be interpreted, maybe you are also missing the other examples of dog-whistle homophobia around you.

I think Varadkar's speech on the civil partnership for gay couples is more homophobic to be honest. I seem to remember at the time the Iona institute even used it on their website to represent their stance. Has Varadkar ever clarified those speeches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »
    I think Varadkar's speech on the civil partnership for gay couples is more homophobic to be honest. I seem to remember at the time the Iona institute even used it on their website to represent their stance. Has Varadkar ever clarified those speeches?

Seems to be the theme with FG. Use such things as race and sexuality to try score points. SF are supposedly both pro and anti-white ffs, if Varadkar is to be believed, all the while courting a woman wants re-education centers for immigrants. The best one I read on Boards was someone talking about how SF were supporting asylum seekers rights and the SF members wouldn't like it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

I posted about this a few pages back
    You are all in the thread so I'm surprised you missed it
    Basically the youtube clip was a short put together by mullen and crew to spread mis information during the referendum
    Ironic that it's still being used today to question his coming out
    But yes he did clarify at the time

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/referendum-is-not-about-me-or-adoption-says-varadkar-30933376.html

There are many things to attack a politician on ,not least Vradakar but their coming out journey isn't one
    I went into detail as to what I think was involved in my chat with mc the other day HERE in this LINK
    Its petty lads and come on you are better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Nobotty wrote: »
    Basically the youtube clip was a short put together by mullen and crew to spread mis information during the referendum

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/referendum-is-not-about-me-or-adoption-says-varadkar-30933376.html

There are many things to attack a politician on ,not least Vradakar but their coming out journey isn't one
    I went into detail as to what I think was involved in my chat with mc the other day HERE in this LINK

I don't get the explanation if I'm honest. Sounds like spin. We have to videos of the speech. It was very believable and is bizarre to watch in hindsight.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

He didn't have to come out to stand up for rights. He chose not and then changed with when the wind blew the right way. Party first.

• Advertisement

We discussed it some days ago.
    People are prone to stereotyping. Just because Varadkar is a gay man it doesn't mean he supports or has to support every 'gay' issue.
    I do not, for one minute, buy that he spoke against gay couples adopting/having kids because he was afraid to come out or whatever. As was pointed out many a heterosexual person supported it and he wasn't obliged to speak for or against it.
    He's not being attacked for being gay. He's being criticised over his actions and words as a public representative. A piss poor one at that.

He didn't have to come out to stand up for rights. He chose not and then changed with when the wind blew the right way. Party first.

I think it was politic first, thats what I said in my post
    Its just another version of the closet
    Many go through it in their careers and personal lives
    Unnecessarily IMO
    I've heard people refer to him as a mud pusher locally and I'll let that to your imagination
    No need for this line
    smurgen wrote: »
    I don't get the explanation if I'm honest. Sounds like spin. We have to videos of the speech. It was very believable and is bizarre to watch in hindsight.

Its only a clip of the speech in the much posted video
    I am not going to defend the man's policies unless by a miracle there's one I agree with
    But I'm not going to watch idly by this part of the Internet go down this particular road of petty dirt
    And tbh,its not your fault, people are quick to do this and without a counterpoint it just flies
    We are all better than that

I think it was politic first,

There's your indictment there. It has nothing to do with his sexuality. He ad the FG party blocked rights for LGBT people.

There's your indictment there. It has nothing to do with his sexuality. He ad the FG party blocked rights for LGBT people.

No Francie,go read my point in the post I linked
    A lot of people came out in that Marriage referendum campaign
    None of them were hypocrites for hiding who they were prior or what they secretly would like to be available
    Mullen and crew weren't weak enough in the civil partnership debate to not stop civil partnership unless things they brought up,weren't batted to the side
    One thing at a time was the approach
    And it worked
    We can of course disagree because we are definitely not going to agree on this

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think they are. Dog-whistle homophobia and racism directed towards Varadkar suits their agenda. It is Stanleyesque in nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

He said it wasn't homophobic.
    Think the oversensitivity was yours. As I said.

He publicly apologised to Varadkar and said he was trying to reach him to make a personal apology.

He said it wasn't meant as homophobia, but could be interpreted many ways and he apologised. Not everyone believes him.

He publicly apologised to Varadkar and said he was trying to reach him to make a personal apology.

He said it wasn't meant as homophobia, but could be interpreted many ways and he apologised. Not everyone believes him.

Not everyone thinks of the oversensitive woke eejits waiting to pounce...3 years later when knocking out a tweet.

Complete hames made of this by FG in particular and such an extraordinary waste of time and money.
    Managed to reveal themselves with the pile-on about 'heavies' visiting young girls, in which you played a part yourself. Then they sent out a TD to lead the charge who has bullying and blackmail questions to answer herself.

Dear oh dear, what a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Not everyone thinks of the oversensitive woke eejits waiting to pounce...3 years later when knocking out a tweet.

Complete hames made of this by FG in particular and such an extraordinary waste of time and money.
    Managed to reveal themselves with the pile-on about 'heavies' visiting young girls, in which you played a part yourself. Then they sent out a TD to lead the charge who has bullying and blackmail questions to answer herself.

Dear oh dear, what a mess.

Haha, FG in particular? The party that had TDs with 9/11 conspiracies exposed, members resign, and had to make an apology to their political opponents wouldn't feature ahead of them?

I don't think they are. Dog-whistle homophobia and racism directed towards Varadkar suits their agenda. It is Stanleyesque in nature.

You are guilty of using same for your own agenda. Constantly.
    Varadkar too. Anything to steer discussion away from crony FG.
    It's disrespectful to the gay community, minorities and the public in general.

christy c wrote: »
    Haha, FG in particular? The party that had TDs with 9/11 conspiracies exposed, members resign, and had to make an apology to their political opponents wouldn't feature ahead of them?

Yes FG in particular made a hames of it. Stanley is still Chairman of PAC and their own TD is facing questions about her own behaviour.

Yes FG in particular made a hames of it. Stanley is still Chairman of PAC and their own TD is facing questions about her own behaviour.

Silence about the FG'er threatening the young FG to stand aside or else.

No need to spin it.

LOL, ok. As long as SF are ok with loosing members and having conspiracy theories of their TDs exposed, then I suppose you could be right.

LOL, ok. As long as SF are ok with loosing members and having conspiracy theories of their TDs exposed, then I suppose you could be right.

Mate FG have literally been pushing an army council conspiracy with years at this stage and from i can ascertain,zero actual evidence to support it??

Its kinda cringy to watch at this stage :pac:

Mate FG have literally been pushing an army council conspiracy with years at this stage and from i can ascertain,zero actual evidence to support it??

Its kinda cringy to watch at this stage :pac:

Yep, as I said I'd much rather the focus be on the hair brained economic policies of SF.

But this particular episode, who do you think came out worse, SF or FG?

Yep, as I said I'd much rather the focus be on the hair brained economic policies of SF.

This episode?
    It'll be forgotten about by any voter that matters
    It was a weak attempt at revenge for having to bring in the Justice minister the other week
    Tit for Tat
    There'll be more

• Advertisement

This episode?
    It'll be forgotten about by any voter that matters
    It was a weak attempt at revenge for having to bring in the Justice minister the other week
    Tit for Tat
    There'll be more

Yeah I said before this wouldn't make much difference either way to voters, but saying FG in particular handled it badly doesn't add up for me.

Numerous record breaking societal crises, NCH over run, leaking info to a pal, crony judicial appointment? The public.

Tbh i been kinda busy with xmas stuff and only half followed it,so im not in position to know,who come out worse

But,i just find it hypocritical to critise shinners for conspiracy theory posting,when FG still openly spout one,that when i looked into it,deosnt have an iota of substance to it

Yeah if you do get around to reading up about it would be interesting to see what you think.

FG talk a lot of sh1te. However 9/11 conspiracy theories are not good no matter what FG or anyone else has done.

Bowie wrote: »
    Numerous record breaking societal crises, NCH over run, leaking info to a pal, crony judicial appointment? The public.

Just before the bolded bit, you ignored or missed in "this particular episode".

Just before the bolded bit, you ignored or missed in "this particular episode".

No, I did not. Brian Stanley being discussed on RTE radio 1 right now.
    Important discussions used for political gamesmanship to avoid accountability.

Regina Doherty contradicting herself.

No, I did not. Brian Stanley being discussed on RTE radio 1 right now.
    Important discussions used for political gamesmanship.

Well if you did not miss it you somehow answered a completely different question.

Well if you did not miss it you somehow answered a completely different question.

No.
    Everybody lost because of this being discussed so much IMO.
    We have Doherty right now making a nonsense of herself. More talk on the tweet than anything else.

No.
    Everybody lost because of this being discussed so much IMO.
    We have Doherty right now making a nonsense of herself. More talk on the tweet than anything else.

Oh right, probably a few things to work on for SF seen as it caused some of their members to resign and distract from other issues in that case.

Yeah I said before this wouldn't make much difference either way to voters, but saying FG in particular handled it badly doesn't add up for me.

When the girl left the party, FG lost control of themselves, and the game they started - headhunting. The girl having to very publicly contact RTE ad FG to ask them to stop lying - embarrassing.
    It will hurt SF a bit, but not near as much as FG hoped and they have gone to the attack well too often already to try and curtail SF's rise.

• Advertisement

Oh right, probably a few things to work on for SF seen as it caused some of their members to resign and distract from other issues in that case.

Nope.
    We have Doherty on the radio right now talking about tweets more than the covid vaccine roll out not being set up yet. Scoring points off of old tweets is not as important IMO.

Advertisement