Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach shocked and dismayed at Sinn Fein TDs tweet on IRA attacks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Bowie wrote: »
    What heavies? You know this was a lie. Why do you keep telling it?

Where do you stand on the young FG lad being threatened by a more senior FG?

Ask him. I'm speaking on the fact that it happens. You still won't acknowledge you spun a FG lie about heavies.

Maybe by using the term heavies he is hoping that it will get him out of the hole he dug for himself. Unfortunately the principals the poster mentioned he lives and dies by doesn't extend to lying.

FG have been caught out lying here and should come out and issue an apology to the young lady for trying to use her as a political football.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nobotty wrote: »
    Is that what happened?
    Restrictions say they're not even allowed in the garden
    I don't think this should have been dealt with by calling to someone's house anyway
    The optics are terrible
    I also don't think its comparable to an FG T.D persuading a candidate not to run because they abused someone online
    In actual fact that FG T.D and Christine O'Mahony were doing the same thing (calling out a party member for online abuse)
    Except Christine was being censored for it

That's where I'm at on that
    Its turned into a mess

Such a way with words.
    The candidate was presented with a screenshot of a Snapchat message he made when he was 18, which said: “Ding dong the witch is gone.” The post was regarding Kate O’Connell, a previous TD for Dublin Bay South, who lost her seat in the February general election.

It is understood Mr Hutchinson was asked to consider stepping back from the contest due to the nature of the message. It is also understood that Ms MacNeill suggested she would have to consider sharing the Snapchat post with members of the Blackrock ward of Fine Gael if he remained a candidate.
    sounds a wee bit like blackmail to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Nobotty

Party members call around to other members houses. It's common in many if not all parties. This smacks of the 'unelected people making decisions' spin, as happens in all parties.

Basically, he saw social media he didn't like for the party optics and called around to ask her to delete it. He lived around the corner. Knocking in wasn't a deal IMO. FG and posters on here lied and spun it that SF sent the heavies around.

She saw social media she didn't like, asked to meet the chap and upon meeting him threatened him to step aside his candidacy.

Now that's without the 't'was a dark chill night...' crap.

Trying to make it about Covid is fair enough but it ignores the numerous comments over days spun to make him calling around sound like a sinister action when it wasn't and we have this one actually threatening this chap.
    So take them as you may but recognise the hypocrisy, (and silence) from the FG lobby.

According to the article,which I posted above,she was making the point that it would affect his election chances if it came up in the campaign
    Looks like she got it brought up at the FG hustings
    But seriously 'ding dong the witch is dead
    I only read the full article after Francies comment above and I got the vibe that She was actually sabotaging him because he slagged off her friend for losing with the wizard of Oz comment
    Thats unappealing and could be highlighted as bullying alright but EQUALLY you'd have FG coming back with what they said in the article ,that they didn't want him running now because it might damage them in the election
    Waste of Bytes to be talking about it IMO in that there's no scandal in it and too many explanation angles

McMurphy wrote: »
    Such a way with words.

sounds a wee bit like blackmail to me.

Mc,I don't have access to the times on my phone so hadn't read the full article untill I got home as its behind a paywall
    As for the blackmail, I'd say maybe but he called her bluff
    I'm still not seeing any strength in any case here to compare this with comments against abuse being asked for to be taken down in meath

Mc,I don't have access to the times on my phone so hadn't read the full article untill I got home as its behind a paywall
    As for the blackmail, I'd say maybe but he called her bluff
    I'm still not seeing any strength in any case here to compare this with comments against abuse being asked for to be taken down in meath

How do you reckon he called her bluff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

According to the article,which I posted above,she was making the point that it would affect his election chances if it came up in the campaign
    I only read the full article after Francies comment above and I got the vibe that She was actually sabotaging him because he slagged off her friend for losing with the wizard of Oz comment
    Thats unappealing and could be highlighted as bullying alright but EQUALLY you'd have FG coming back with what they said in the article ,that they didn't want him running now because it might damage them in the election
    Waste of Bytes to be talking about it IMO in that there's no scandal in it and too many explanation angles

She told him if he didn't stand down she would show the post to the local FG. That's a threat. That's not "she was making the point that it would affect his election chances if it came up in the campaign".
    If they want him to run or not, that's what she did. Again, people can take it as they may but compared to the uproar and lie of a SF member calling to a SF member, who was also a neighbour to ask she remove a tweet he felt damaged the party, you have to acknowledge the sheer hypocrisy in their silence on this. You know if she was a shinner the mob would be all over this with what I can only assume would be complete faux outrage, as I suspected was their outrage at the shinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Neither story has any importance in my mind. But if you are making a deal about one, as the FG cohort are, then this one is under scrutiny too.

Neither story has any importance in my mind. But if you are making a deal about one, as the FG cohort are, then this one is under scrutiny too.

Make sure and taste your words before you spit them out - as my mam would say.

They never, ever, seem to learn.

Ever.

Both stories are boring to me to be honest but if Brian Stanley is thinking of including a paragraph on the Blackrock FG cumman Tuesday, I wouldn't

She told him if he didn't stand down she would show the post to the local FG. That's a threat. That's not "she was making the point that it would affect his election chances if it came up in the campaign".
    If they want him to run or not, that's what she did. Again, people can take it as they may but compared to the uproar and lie of a SF member calling to a SF member, who was also a neighbour to ask she remove a tweet he felt damaged the party, you have to acknowledge the sheer hypocrisy in their silence on this. You know if she was a shinner the mob would be all over this with what I can only assume would be complete faux outrage, as I suspected was their outrage at the shinner.

Their silence on this is tactical
    They want SF to bring it up because they have plenty angles as I've said to spin a different story,not least the fact that young lad is still in a position of authority in yfg according to the article and hasn't left their party
    Hardly a sign of discord,Christine o Mahony on the other hand did resign
    Regardless we could go round the houses on this all night and I'd still see your view and you'd still see mine,they're not that far apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What heavies? You know this was a lie. Why do you keep telling it?

Where do you stand on the young FG lad being threatened by a more senior FG?

Ask him. I'm speaking on the fact that it happens. You still won't acknowledge you spun a FG lie about heavies.

The man in Tipperary admitted that the heavies regularly called around, him among them. Why are you denying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So FG people made a male candidate step aside after misogynistic comments, while SF think it is ok for the heavy gang to go around to a young woman's house and tell her to delete her social media account.

OK, I will go with that one coming out like that.

blanch152 wrote: »
    The man in Tipperary admitted that the heavies regularly called around, him among them. Why are you denying it?

You said they sent the heavies around to intimidate her. Thats a lie. Thats what I'm talking about. Its obvious you've no desire to try retain any credibility on this.

So FG people made a male candidate step aside after misogynistic comments, while SF think it is ok for the heavy gang to go around to a young woman's house and tell her to delete her social media account.

FGer making misognistic comments = bad
    Senior FGer threatening and balckmailing him to get a result she wanted. = bad

SF cumann leader visits girl to complain about social media posts. Girl may have felt intimidated. = Not much of a story. Lesson needs to be learned in future.

You can lie about the above to try pathetically to make it worse...knock yourself out. Only one person embarassing themselves on this.

We're talking about a FG member threatening a younger one. You are ignoring that.
    Lying about the heavies again :rolleyes:
    The facts are not your friend Blanch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

It appears that Jennifer Carroll McNeill went off on a solo run without approval from party headquarters,hence the talk of an investigation.

TBH I don't think the outcome would have been any different,Dylan Hutchinson was foolhardy in the extreme.

The perils of social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

'The man in Tipperary' never mentioned 'heavies'. Its quite common for sf members who know each other to actually communicate, including calling round to each others houses. Im sure other parties do that too. Its you and your FG buddies talking about 'heavies' because yous are terrified of the rise of support for SF

you really are trying to get the oul false rumour/gossip mill going (and not doing a good job of it)

seligehgit wrote: »
    It appears that Jennifer Carroll McNeill went off on a solo run without approval from party headquarters,hence the talk of an investigation.

TBH I don't think the outcome would have been any different,Dylan Hutchinson was foolhardy in the extreme.

If that's the case then that video of her taking the high moral ground on the PAC to Brian Stanley makes her look like an even bigger hypocritical gobdaw so.

She's not a very likeable politician, obviously that even applies from within her own party too.

The pile on from the usual suspects calling for Stanley's head will obviously be here any minute calling for Carroll MacNeills scalp, just wait.

If that's the case then that video of her taking the high moral ground on the PAC to Brian Stanley makes her look like an even bigger hypocritical gobdaw so.

She's not a very likeable politician, obviously that even applies from within her own party too.

The pile on from the usual suspects calling for Stanley's head will obviously be here any minute calling for Carroll MacNeills scalp, just wait.

There are loads like her in the world...race to the high moral ground completely oblivious to their own behaviours.

Happens on these threads all the time.

seligehgit wrote: »

My thoughts really
    The only thing I'd add would be she did it for her friend more so than for party

Cautionary 'BUT' to the non FG fans here that its arguable here she was acting against online abuse
    Thats not the same as trying to muzzle someone who was calling out online abuse in O Mahony's case
    Thats why one has legs that the other hasn't
    SF could of course raise this in the Dáil but they won't because the headlines from it would introduce FG's desired angle ie At least McNeill did something about abuse ,ye did nothing '
    I'll bet thats why FG are saying little
    They'd love for SF to bring it up

And for the record, I'm saying the above not having changed my mind one bit that Stanley's tweet was homophobic but nothing more than normal latent country banter
    Its the type of banter we should all discourage as its hurtful but its not deliberate
    So if I was strategist thats the route I'd be going in his Tuesday speech
    No conflating anything else
    No opening doors for more focused attacks like the FG boys want

• Advertisement

My thoughts really
    The only thing I'd add would be she did it for her friend more so than for party

Cautionary 'BUT' to the non FG fans here that its arguable here she was acting against online abuse
    Thats not the same as trying to muzzle someone who was calling out online abuse in O Mahony's case
    Thats why one has legs that the other hasn't
    SF could of course raise this in the Dáil but they won't because the headlines from it would introduce FG's desired angle ie At least McNeill did something about abuse ,ye did nothing '
    I'll bet thats why FG are saying little
    They'd love for SF to bring it up

And for the record, I'm saying the above not having changed my mind one bit that Stanley's tweet was homophobic but nothing more than normal latent country banter
    Its the type of banter we should all discourage as its hurtful but its not deliberate
    So if I was strategist thats the route I'd be going in his Tuesday speech
    No conflating anything else
    No opening doors for more focused attacks like the FG boys want

She threatened the lad to stand down or else. Off her own bat.
    So if people are appalled by a shinner calling around to a neighbouring shinner to ask her to delete a post folk must be livid about O'Neil's threat. They aren't of course.
    Pointing out the hypocrisy is valid.
    You making it about party bias is half true.

She threatened the lad to stand down or else. Off her own bat.
    So if people are appalled by a shinner calling around to a neighbouring shinner to ask her to delete a post folk must be livid about O'Neil's threat. They aren't of course.
    Pointing out the hypocrisy is valid.
    You making it about party bias is half true.

I'm not appalled by a shinner calling to that ladys house,I'm just thinking it wasn't clever
    Of course the FG lads are appalled
    It is their outrage after all
    But then I guess the man didn't expect her to tell the papers
    On McConnell, the lad didn't leave FG
    I suspect he mightnt be too far from who told the Times Ireland
    Thats called getting your own back on McConnell
    Machiavellian
    Maithú
    I'd be keeping an eye out for his name on future tickets

My thoughts really

Have you read the article yet?

This is from MacNeill.
    She said: “At all times I was concerned for Kate, for Dylan and for the way in which the party communicates about political representatives generally.”

Such a woman, she did it for Kate, for the lad Dylan (who she blackmailed btw), and because of how the FG party communicates about all other political representatives in general.

I'm sure there's a boatload of Shinners breathing a sigh of relief that Jennifer Carroll MacNeill has their back, and if the official Fine Gael twitter account was attacking them - they can rely on Jennifer to call it out /s.

Btw O'Connell herself apparently wasn't aware of the Snapchat,
    told The Times yesterday that she was not aware of the incident, but had received an “unsolicited” apology in June from Mr Hutchinson regarding the Snapchat post.

She also said this.
    She added: “I’ve never seen the comment. I have yet to lose any sleep over it.”

I find it hard to believe MacNeill did that off her own bat tbh. But then I'm a cynical bastard anyway. :D

Mc,I already said she did it for her friend IMO
    Said it a few times
    Have you read my posts :D

It shares another similarity to the Meath incident now that I think of it and that is a lack of awareness of what it might look like if the person you're confronting goes public(or proxy public in the case of the yfg lad)
    By the way she might have done it off her own bat to scupper the young lad as he is competition
    Now that would be malicious but its only speculative
    The doing it for the friend is more likely plus she mightnt like the lad

Said it a few times

It shares another similarity to the Meath incident now that I think of it and that is a lack of awareness of what it might look like if the person you're confronting goes public(or proxy public in the case of the yfg lad)
    By the way she might have done it off her own bat to scupper the young lad as he is competition

I think the shinner calling around is nothing. Yet the FG lobby went nuts
    Not a peep off them on this threat. Thats all I'd like to point out.

She threatened him to stand aside or else. Thats the plain fact.

Said it a few times

It's not the young lad I'd suspect of leaking it tbh, it's too close to home for him (imo) and too goddam obvious.

Could it be, that some within FG don't like MacNeill?

Wonder if Maria Bailey has any friends still within the party?

It's not the young lad I'd suspect of leaking it tbh, it's too close to home for him (imo) and too goddam obvious.

Could it be, that some within FG don't like MacNeill?

Wonder if Maria Bailey has any friends still within the party?

It does sound to me like it was someone closer to the lad himself
    I'm going for the Machiavellian answer like I said earlier
    It won't get legs anyway
    Too many vested reasons in both SF and FG to avoid that
    What we'll see is the Stanley thing play out
    I'm reasonably confident that he can stay in position if he crafts his speech well and there's no more landmines

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What we'll see is the Stanley thing play out
    I'm reasonably confident that he can stay in position if he crafts his speech well and there's no more landmines

Always seem to be landmines around for SF. Not that FG are that good at avoiding landmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I wouldn't say Carroll McNeill has friends in the ordinary sense of the word.

Said it a few times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

You pushed the FG lie that 'the heavies' were sent around to intimidate the woman. This is untrue and the woman herself asked FG to retract it.

I don't know why you put 'the heavies' in scare quotes - the man literally took part in armed robberies, this is the textbook-definition of a 'heavy'.

Advertisement