Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

L1011 wrote: »
    Cross-border VAT rules no longer apply as they're not in the EU.

Their sales tax called VAT is no longer the standardised EU VAT.

That's what I'm failing to understand. It is Irish VAT they are collecting now but was it not also Irish VAT they were collecting prior to Brexit (for sales into IE)?

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 68,123 ✭✭✭✭L1011

westyIrl wrote: »
    That's what I'm failing to understand. It is Irish VAT they are collecting now but was it not also Irish VAT they were collecting prior to Brexit (for sales into IE)?

Jim

Yes, but they were doing that as a cross-border operator within the EU and hence able to use the cross-border schemes to sell zero rated to a VAT registered operator

They're not in the EU now.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

corkie wrote: »
    "This means that goods sent from Great Britain to Northern Ireland will avoid tariffs if they remain in the region, but if they are deemed ‘at risk’ of being sent to the European Union, ie across the NI border to Ireland, they will have to pay a tariff.

It’s not yet certain how a product will be deemed ‘at-risk’ of leaving Northern Ireland, which is part of the problem for Northern Irish businesses.

The way this will work in practice is that Northern Ireland businesses receiving goods from Great Britain will pay the tariffs upfront, and will be rebated the cost of tariffs if they can prove they are not at risk of going to the EU.

If the goods are consumed or used in Northern Ireland, they will receive a rebate on that tariff; but if they are sent on from Northern Ireland to Ireland to be processed, they automatically pay a charge (though it is possible that this may be rebated).

If a product is likely to be sent from Northern Ireland to Ireland, then a tariff will apply that isn’t in place now. "

^^^ Sorry about source: - https://www.thejournal.ie/at-risk-goods-northern-ireland-5286679-Dec2020/

He will have paid UK Vat on the Item and then possibly on sending it south pay Irish VAT on top of the UK Vat. Reason likes of PW & PM where shuttered.

Anyway it was explained to him since that ordering straight to Ireland, only Irish VAT was been charged on the item.
    Yep, not relevant to the poster but just needed to clarify this point. What you quote relates to customs duties only. Not VAT.

Again, there are no customs formalities between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. No checks will be carried out on post between the two jurisdictions above and beyond those that had already been taking place pre-Brexit (eg on prohibited or excisable goods). No customs declarations on parcels. No import VAT due on anything.

Instead, customs formalities are taking place on goods from Great Britain on their arrival in NI. If customs duty would be due on the goods on entry to ROI, it has to be paid when the goods arrive in NI and can subsequently be reclaimed if it can be proven that the goods won't travel onwards to ROI. If no customs duty would be due, then this is moot. This is why goods <£135 in value traveling from GB to NI do not need a customs declaration as there is no possibility customs duties would be due.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭harmless

Yes if you occasionally get a few personal items sent to a private NI address and then it is forwarded on to you no one will know or care.
    It's a very different situation than running a business like parcel motel.

But if you were to do this on a larger scale for profit then you might get yourself in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

Quackster wrote: »
    This is why goods <£135 in value traveling from GB to NI do not need a customs declaration as there is no possibility customs duties would be due.

Its value £249 posted to UK/NI. or £251.08 posted directly to ROI

If he sent to NI, he would still have to pay postage to get to the south, covid lockdowns restricting travel?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Its value £249 posted to UK/NI. or £251.08 posted directly to ROI

If he sent to NI, he would still have to pay postage to get to the south, covid lockdowns restricting travel?
    Yeah, I was merely addressing the general principle of what the poster was suggesting, specifically that there would be no risk of getting hit for VAT on the double.

Obviously it wouldn't make any sense in their particular case, as became clear from subsequent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

AISIRER Alexa Smart Bulb WiFi Light Bulbs B22 Bayonet, 2 Pack, 10W 1000LM, App or Voice Control, 90W Dimmable White and RGBCW Colour Changing Light Bulb, Works with Alexa, Google Home, No Hub Required https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S79FBB2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_9qe9FbCK8XKMS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

DAB17273-36-A7-4808-9-BA0-920-FE606-CE46.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

AISIRER Alexa Smart Bulb WiFi Light Bulbs B22 Bayonet, 2 Pack, 10W 1000LM, App or Voice Control, 90W Dimmable White and RGBCW Colour Changing Light Bulb, Works with Alexa, Google Home, No Hub Required https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07S79FBB2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_9qe9FbCK8XKMS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I'm seeing it as slightly differently, I'm an Amazon Prime customer so that explains part of it.

But the underlying issue is that it is a Chinese seller and charging both UK & Irish VAT.

8xNT5In.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anyone seeing major delays with Amazon shipments ?

I have an item that was dispatched today and shows that it won't be delivered until next Tuesday! This is with a prime account too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

drogon. wrote: »

Before xmas I was getting long estimates and then it would turn up after only a few days, and I am not even with prime. Others I know were the same.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'm seeing it as slightly differently, I'm an Amazon Prime customer so that explains part of it.

But the underlying issue is that it is a Chinese seller and charging both UK & Irish VAT.

I don't think the base price has UK VAT on it.

All my order from last year from Chinese sellers had no VAT and it was up to the customer to pay customs and VAT when it arrived however very few of these were caught by customs.

Amazon are not charging Irish customers UK VAT.

drogon. wrote: »

I have an item that was dispatched today and shows that it won't be delivered until next Tuesday! This is with a prime account too
    Yes this is normal for all orders right now.
    Combo of Brexit + Covid, UK shipping takes priority over Irish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

drogon. wrote:

Parcel sitting in UK customs for 36 hours now. I hope Irish customs are quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

Further to my phone drama....

There is No customs duty on products made in the UK or EU and delivered to Ireland.

Duty may be charged on some categories of goods coming from the UK that originate from outside the UK or EU IF the order is more than €150.

"Duty may be charged". Is that the same £44 Amazon are charging or could it be an extra charge demanded of me on my doorstep? The phone is Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Yep post has been really slow now from Amazon, 2 weeks ago it was 1-2 days, some still haven't dispatched after 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

mdol wrote: »

There is No customs duty on products made in the UK or EU and delivered to Ireland.

Duty may be charged on some categories of goods coming from the UK that originate from outside the UK or EU IF the order is more than €150.

"Duty may be charged". Is that the same £44 Amazon are charging or could it be an extra charge demanded of me on my doorstep? The phone is Chinese.

Someone else already explained this to you
    When you go to the checkout the price of the phone is reduced by 20% which is UK VAT then they add Irish VAT @21% which is the £44.
    The phone is sold and dispatched by Amazon so no extra charges will apply if they did they would show on the checkout page

• Registered Users Posts: 7,282 ✭✭✭corkie

About Import Fees Deposit

I linked the above already in thread.

"Duties and taxes are calculated according to the shipping destination's customs regulations. Typically, this calculation is based on our product price and shipping, before any promotions. This allows destination country customs authorities to obtain the accurate import duties and taxes owed to them based on the actual value of the goods. For more information, go to About Customs, Duties & Taxes."

Above explains why your been charged VAT on shipping, even if your shipping is been discounted due to amount spent (or Prime promotion).

You may not be paying the shipping but amazon is absorbing the cost of it, so dues still need to be paid on it.
    mdol wrote: »

All required fees/duties have been applied by amazon in there charge, there shouldn't be anymore charges on the doorstep. All going well. This has been explained to you a few times in various replies.

But only time will tell if that is correct because we are waiting on people actually getting orders delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mdol wrote:

Amazon aren't charging you duty. All they are charging is Irish VAT. You paid Irish Vat on amazon orders before Brexit but it was included in the price. Now they show the Irish VAT separately at checkout. You aren't paying any more for goods than you would have before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Had a few pre orders dispatch yesterday under €22 and shipped separately and they are all coming from Dormagen in Germany, I will be interested where else they check in before they arrive and the speed it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

Thanks folks. Sorry for the bother, I wanted to be 110%, especially with my luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Getting 25 January delivery estimates. Prime member!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xboxdad

McGiver wrote: »

I'm getting dates 12 days into the future as a Prime member for items Sold & Dispatched by Amazon.
    It was working so well in December, I got most of my items delivered within 1-2 days from ordering.

Does the deal not cover free trade or what happened? Is this temporary you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

xboxdad wrote:
    Does the deal not cover free trade or what happened? Is this temporary you reckon?

There are now customs and cross-border considerations that were not there before. There is no longer "free trade" between the UK and EU counties. There is regulated, tariffed, much more highly-scrutinized, trade. The infrastructure and procedures aren't all in place yet... mainly because eejit brexiteers thought the UK would be able to retain all the benefits of EU membership, without being a member.

Heebie wrote: »
    There are now customs and cross-border considerations that were not there before. There is no longer "free trade" between the UK and EU counties. There is regulated, tariffed, much more highly-scrutinized, trade. The infrastructure and procedures aren't all in place yet... mainly because eejit brexiteers thought the UK would be able to retain all the benefits of EU membership, without being a member.

Well, now it feels hoping for a deal was kind of pointless. It got from 1-2 days shipping to 12 days shipping. That's about how long it took to ship something from a non-EU country to a EU country in like 2000. Not sure what the deal did resolve then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

xboxdad wrote: »
    Well, now it feels hoping for a deal was kind of pointless. It got from 1-2 days shipping to 12 days shipping. That's about how long it took to ship something from a non-EU country to a EU country in like 2000. Not sure what the deal did resolve then.

But thing are getting her much much quicker than the estimate in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭NATLOR

McGiver wrote:

They are just estimates. Amazon covering themselves for potential hold ups at point of entry

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

N
    xboxdad wrote: »

A deal wasn’t to facilitate Amazon purchases. It was to keep it easier for the multi billion trade between the UK and EU countries.

whiterebel wrote: »
    N

A deal wasn’t to facilitate Amazon purchases. It was to keep it easier for the multi billion trade between the UK and EU countries.

The deal doesn't cover services, it only covers the trading of goods.
    What company is more significant in terms of trading goods than Amazon?
    I don't see the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭migrant

Car99 wrote: »
    But thing are getting her much much quicker than the estimate in my experience.

It probably had fresher batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

what the absolute ****?

9 euros new import tax for one item?

Are they taking the absolute piss? Did anyone fight for us? How do the EU think thats ok?

Would rather take a bullet to the head than pay that.

Advertisement