Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

That shouldn't matter if the product is fulfilled by Amazon. If it's sitting in an Amazon warehouse in the UK, no matter where the seller is, it should be set up under the UK's VAT rules.

The seller will have to be UK VAt registered.
    But - as far as I am aware - sellers can set different prices for different countries. So maybe that seller has set the price for EU/Ireland to be the same as the VAT inclusive UK price.?

jos22 wrote: »
    I had order that was fulfilled by amazon UK, when it arrived I was told that import vat was due, when I checked it up, turned out the seller wasnt UK based and had charged no vat on the item. to avoid returns the seller refunded the import vat. so it possible that order you are looking at never had vat included to start with

Was this before Brexit?
    I assume it was not delivered/fulfilled by Amazon?
    Who came looking for the VAT ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 mdol

I want to buy a phone from Amazon UK (EU isn't an option as uk vouchers can't be used on their other sites). If I have it delivered to N Ireland will it be caught for post-brexit import duty/tax/vat/etc charges?

Then I need it brought down here. Is parcel post between North and South subject to all this nonsense now? The alternative if so is for a friend to deliver it personally but God knows when that will be thanks to bloody Covid.

Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,908 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I just tried this and they did not deduct the UK Vat, just added Irish Vat...

538250.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KHRLSTT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3V5NH794ZRV7G&psc=1

I have a business account with Amazon. The page above has
    Price: VAT exclusive price not available
    £49.99 incl. VAT
    when logged into my account. Pre Brexit when this was displayed it meant no VAT details were provided by the seller. This might mean seller isn't EU or UK VAT registered. It also meant I couldn't claim any VAT back. If the 49.99 has no UK VAT then Amazon can't remove VAT at the checkout

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sabrent-16-PORT-individual-switches-HB-PU16/dp/B07KHRLSTT/ref=sr_1_3?crid=K9ZQ1P7RBEVO&dchild=1&keywords=sabrent+16+port+usb+hub&qid=1609776871&sprefix=sabrent+16+port%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-3

This is the exact same product listed for 54.38 & if you bring it to the checkout it reduces to 45.32

As you can see it's cheaper to buy the more expensive one from the business that pays it's taxes than the cheaper one from the company that doesn't seem to be playing fair with the taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭corkie

@mdol What your attempting to do is illegal.

Why can't you order direct to Ireland and see what duties and fees the site suggests.

You could risk double import fees, first to the north and then south.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement

mdol wrote: »
    I want to buy a phone from Amazon UK (EU isn't an option as uk vouchers can't be used on their other sites). If I have it delivered to N Ireland will it be caught for post-brexit import duty/tax/vat/etc charges?

Then I need it brought down here. Is parcel post between North and South subject to all this nonsense now? The alternative if so is for a friend to deliver it personally but God knows when that will be thanks to bloody Covid.

Thanks for your time.

You are overthinking it. If you get it delivered to a UK address then you pay UK VAT. Then sending it from UK to Ireland involves paying Irish VAT on top of the UK VAT.

Buy it from Amazon & have it delivered to your Irish address. This way you won't pay the UK VAT as this will be taken off at checkout. At checkout they will then add the Irish VAT

There's an extra £48 import & deposit fee included if I have it sent direct to me.

Not a chance am I going to pay that!

There's an extra £48 import & deposit fee included if I have it sent direct to me.

Not a chance am I going to pay that!

That is the Irish VAT on the phone. Did you not notice that they remove the UK VAT? The price before the import deposit is 20 percent (UK VAT) cheaper at checkout than it was on the original page that had the phone listed. Unless you are trying to buy from a business that isn't charging you UK VAT to start with.

Can you post a link to the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just ordered a kettle (exciting first purchase of 2021).

Delivery times are showing the 15th of January for Dublin (I changed my delivery address to London and it showed a delivery slot for tomorrow).

Is this realistic or just buggy due to the ongoing issues? For the past few months, I've been getting 2 day deliveries or even the odd one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks for your time.

From what I can see, if the price of the item on Amazon UK already contains UK VAT, it will ship to ROI with that VAT removed, and a charge for Import Fees Deposit will be added that approximates Irish VAT.

For example, I priced a Shark Vacuum Cleaner @ £149.99 for delivery to UK. I then re-priced it for delivery to ROI, and it was priced at £124.17 for the items, with an Import Fees Deposit of £26.08, bringing the total to £150.25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    From what I can see, if the price of the item on Amazon UK already contains UK VAT, it will ship to ROI with that VAT removed, and a charge for Import Fees Deposit will be added that approximates Irish VAT.

For example, I priced a Shark Vacuum Cleaner @ £149.99 for delivery to UK. I then re-priced it for delivery to ROI, and it was priced at £124.17 for the items, with an Import Fees Deposit of £26.08, bringing the total to £150.25.

Yes thats right.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That is the Irish VAT on the phone. Did you not notice that they remove the UK VAT? The price before the import deposit is 20 percent (UK VAT) cheaper at checkout than it was on the original page that had the phone listed. Unless you are trying to buy from a business that isn't charging you UK VAT to start with.

Can you post a link to the phone?

Ahh. I didn't realise. I just saw the £48 figure and didn't look at anything else. I thought that was an estimated figure I'd be charged at my front door by an post.

So what extras will I be charged if I get it? I've rarely if ever ordered outside the EU so this is completely new to me.

Phone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08G9N272T/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Ahh. I didn't realise. I just saw the £48 figure and didn't look at anything else. I thought that was an estimated figure I'd be charged at my front door by an post.

So what extras will I be charged if I get it? I've rarely if ever ordered outside the EU so this is completely new to me.

Phone: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B08G9N272T/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Should be £44.84 import fees not £48 ??

Sorry, misprint. Yeah, £44.

Is that it? Will I have to pay anything extra to an post or revenue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Its £249 posted to UK/NI.
    £251.08 posted directly to ROI

Price on Amazon UK 249.00
    Price at checkout 207.50
    import deposit 43.58 (Irish VAT)

Total charged to you 251.08
    That around 2 pound more because Irish VAT rate is a little higher than the UK one. Ordering the above phone from the link above will have no extra charges from Irish customs. You pay 251.08 & thats it

It will take awhile for us all to get used to this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Price at checkout 207.50

That around 2 pound more because Irish VAT rate is a little higher than the UK one. Ordering the above phone from the link above will have no extra charges from Irish customs. You pay 251.08 & thats it

In my case the UK VAT is not being deducted, when I switch the delivery address to the UK the price stays the same (but without the import deposit) - I am onto support now.

Price at checkout 207.50

That's not bad at all. And I have almost €80 of vouchers too. Thanks very much, appreciated :)

In my case the UK VAT is not being deducted, when I switch the delivery address to the UK the price stays the same (but without the import deposit) - I am onto support now.

If you are buying from a seller that doesn't display VAT then it won't be removed. I'd be very interested in what support have to say

If you are buying from a seller that doesn't display VAT then it won't be removed. I'd be very interested in what support have to say

For this order, switching between a UK delivery address and an Irish one, sees no change to the base price, which I assume means UK Vat is included?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

For this order, switching between a UK delivery address and an Irish one, sees no change to the base price, which I assume means UK Vat is included?

It could mean there is no UK VAT at the base price.
    Where is the seller located and what type of item is it?

Price is changed on checkout report, put through the transaction until final step before confirming order and you will see the cost price (excl vat).!!??!!

Edit: - Even if I selected US as a delivery address the base price stays the same on site. Maybe getting IP address to give you the price?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

"I have tranferred your query to the concerned team and they will contact you with a resolution for the same within 48 hours via email."

schmoo2k wrote:

Some businesses might not be registered for VAT. They may not be registered for VAT in the UK. If they aren't registered for VAT then they cannot charge vat.

Last phone I bought was from Amazon France. Great price on the phone but they weren't showing VAT on my business Amazon account. I messaged them and it turns out that they are based in Korea and couldn't provide me with a VAT invoice & weren't charging me vat. They offered me 100 euro refund if I bought it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭jos22

Ogham wrote: »
    Was this before Brexit?
    I assume it was not delivered/fulfilled by Amazon?
    Who came looking for the VAT ?

Thanks

It was order in November and delivered in early December.
    It was fullfilled and dispatched Free with amazon Prime
    An post said on delivery that 22Euro customs and duties were due, Item was dispatched from the US , when I looked them up afterwards lot of feed back from UK customers too, that royal mail requested customs too. so it something to bear in mind if the seller is not amazon.

also noticed in the order details page it had this

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£49.98
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Total:£49.98
    Grand Total:£49.98

where as all other orders I have look like this
    Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:£137.49
    Postage & Packing:£0.00
    Total Before VAT:£137.49
    VAT:£28.87
    Total:£166.36
    Grand Total:£166.36

so it appears that the seller order had no vat

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Orfered something on Sunday afternoon - was supposed to take a week to arrive....latest log

Monday, 4 January

1:53 PM

Completed customs clearance process

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex

1:48 PM

Initiated customs clearance process

SOUTHEND-ON-SEA, Essex

1:31 AM

Package departed an Amazon facility

Saint Helens, Merseyside GB

Sunday, 3 January

7:59 PM

Package arrived at an Amazon facility

Saint Helens, Merseyside GB

Package has shipped

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

corkie wrote: »
    @mdol What your attempting to do is illegal.

Why can't you order direct to Ireland and see what duties and fees the site suggests.

You could risk double import fees, first to the north and then south.
    Nothing illegal in his friend ordering it to their address in NI and then posting it on to them in ROI. There are no customs formalities between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and no change to parcel post in either direction. No risk of posting import fees on the double.

What they might find though is sellers who don't post to ROI quite likely won't post to NI now either.

Quackster wrote: »
    Nothing illegal in his friend ordering it to their address in NI and then posting it on to them in ROI. There are no customs formalities between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland and no change to parcel post in either direction. No risk of posting import fees on the double.

What they might find though is sellers who don't post to ROI quite likely won't post to NI now either.

"This means that goods sent from Great Britain to Northern Ireland will avoid tariffs if they remain in the region, but if they are deemed ‘at risk’ of being sent to the European Union, ie across the NI border to Ireland, they will have to pay a tariff.

It’s not yet certain how a product will be deemed ‘at-risk’ of leaving Northern Ireland, which is part of the problem for Northern Irish businesses.

The way this will work in practice is that Northern Ireland businesses receiving goods from Great Britain will pay the tariffs upfront, and will be rebated the cost of tariffs if they can prove they are not at risk of going to the EU.

If the goods are consumed or used in Northern Ireland, they will receive a rebate on that tariff; but if they are sent on from Northern Ireland to Ireland to be processed, they automatically pay a charge (though it is possible that this may be rebated).

If a product is likely to be sent from Northern Ireland to Ireland, then a tariff will apply that isn’t in place now. "

^^^ Sorry about source: - https://www.thejournal.ie/at-risk-goods-northern-ireland-5286679-Dec2020/

He will have paid UK Vat on the Item and then possibly on sending it south pay Irish VAT on top of the UK Vat. Reason likes of PW & PM where shuttered.

Anyway it was explained to him since that ordering straight to Ireland, only Irish VAT was been charged on the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I have a query that someone with a business account might be able to shed some light on. Previous to Brexit Amazon UK exempted/zeroed VAT for VAT registered business accounts for items supplied/fulfilled by Amazon

However, since Brexit they are charging VAT via Import Fees Deposit. As it was evidently Irish VAT they had been exempting prior to Brexit, I wonder what changed that they are now charging it? I understand that this VAT can be claimed back via VAT3 return. However, Amazon not charging it in the first place and not having to deal with the unnecessary paperwork was so much more straight forward.

I have considered contacting them but thought I'd ask here before going down that route.

Jim

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cross-border VAT rules no longer apply as they're not in the EU.

Their sales tax called VAT is no longer the standardised EU VAT.

Advertisement