Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ SUMMARY IN POST 986 - Amazon.uk Post-Brexit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

TimHorton wrote: »
    "Two important caveats on this:
    1) If you place multiple orders and Amazon combines these into one delivery - a frequent occurrence - you will be liable to VAT at the point of delivery if the total value exceeds €22."

Surely Amazon is aware of this and will not allow it to happen, I will just refuse delivery if this happens to my orders.,

As someone mentioned earlier - a way around this is to set up a few delivery addresses for yourself on Amazon and use a different one for each small order.

Ie Jim Murphy . Street , Town
    James Murphy , Street , Town
    Mr J Murphy etc etc

They will not put those orders into one package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

v10 wrote: »
    Aren’t Amazon already shipping directly from an Irish warehouse ? Surely amazon.ie is the obvious next step.

No, that is only a last mile delivery centre for the Dublin area. It holds no stock. Orders are fulfilled, packed and labeled from fulfilment centres in the UK and are shipped directly to Greenogue. They are sorted and assigned to Amazon drivers/routes there.

The European Amazon sites are currently France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and UK. There are much bigger countries in Europe that don't have their own site or fulfilment centres.

Amazon.dk (Denmark, sameish population as us) redirects to .de (germany) and has no fulfilment centres in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

sdanseo wrote: »
    Pin this or don't no worries - but a summary nonetheless, stand to be corrected on any of it but this is how I understand it.

Amazon post-Brexit - what's the story?

Excellent and easy to understand write-up sdanseo. Hopefully a mod can push it to the top of the tread and/or make it a sticky. It would really stop the thread from bloating and becoming unreadable

Jim

The €22 exemption threshold is an EU rule.

It was supposed to be removed from January 1st 2021, but due to logistic issues caused by the response to Covid 19, it's been postponed until July:

https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/modernising-vat-cross-border-ecommerce_en

Yeh, I know. The "They" was the Government(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

NATLOR wrote: »
    I think they are just being conservative with delivery dates into Ireland as there could be a big backlog at point of entry for the forseeable

Possibly, which is fair enough...I would expect the item at least to be dispatched within 1 week, delivery will take what it needs to take...will see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭v10

No, that is only a last mile delivery centre for the Dublin area. It holds no stock. Orders are fulfilled, packed and labeled from fulfilment centres in the UK and are shipped directly to Greenogue. They are sorted and assigned to Amazon drivers/routes there.

The European Amazon sites are currently France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and UK. There are much bigger countries in Europe that don't have their own site or fulfilment centres.

Amazon.dk (Denmark, sameish population as us) redirects to .de (germany) and has no fulfilment centres in the country.

If that's the case my delivery driver got it wrong. I ordered an item last Monday(28th) at 6:30pm and and it was delivered on Tuesday(29th) just after 1pm, I was impressed and asked the driver about it when I noticed it was not An Post delivering. He told me the item came directly from stock held in their new Greenogue warehouse and that they will be doing same from Cork soon too. I just assumed this was their post-brexit srategy and would be the norm soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 to.colossae

VG31 wrote: »
    Yes more or less. Here's a list of the main differences (for sold/fulfilled by Amazon):
    • No VAT payable on orders under €22 including shipping.* So these orders will cost 20% to an Irish address.
    • Irish VAT is charged as before but is now stated as an "import fee deposit".
    • Customs duty may be payable on orders over €150. This will be included in the import fee deposit.
    • Longer delivery times, at least for the time being.
    • Reduced selection. Very few food items in particular will ship here now.

Yes, you will be liable for VAT and possibly customs duties on arrival if over the total cost (item(s) + shipping) is over €22.*

There is no free shipping to Ireland on any Amazon site other than Amazon UK. In most cases it is still easier to order of Amazon UK except for some areas such as food.

*The €22 limit will be abolished on 1 July so VAT will be payable on all items regardless of their value.

None of this rings true for me.

I just ordered a book from Amazon, fulfilled by them, which has been in my basket for a few weeks at £24.99.

I almost treated myself to this before Christmas but didn't know where I'd be spending the holidays so held off. I had gone through to checkout - £24.99, no extras, free delivery - but canceled in the end and left the item in my basket.

Now when I go to fulfill the order, it is £28.99 basic (no explanation for the +£4 here) PLUS an additional £6.09 'Import Fees Deposit'. The item itself is still listed at only £24.99 basic.

So essentially I am being charged £10.99 additional for an item with a sale price of £24.99, just to import it across the Irish Sea - absolute madness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Ordered something last night, it shipped this afternoon and is supposed to get here on the 10th....will be interesting to see how long it actually takes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,118 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Although not Amazon related, I have noticed on my eBay UK app that a lot of sellers now won't post to my NI postcode.

I think purchases <£135 don't need any customs declaration to ship them to NI but it looks like some sellers have just blocked all BT postcodes, probably to save them any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

None of this rings true for me.

I just ordered a book from Amazon, fulfilled by them, which has been in my basket for a few weeks at £24.99.

I almost treated myself to this before Christmas but didn't know where I'd be spending the holidays so held off. I had gone through to checkout - £24.99, no extras, free delivery - but canceled in the end and left the item in my basket.

Now when I go to fulfill the order, it is £28.99 basic (no explanation for the +£4 here) PLUS an additional £6.09 'Import Fees Deposit'. The item itself is still listed at only £24.99 basic.

So essentially I am being charged £10.99 additional for an item with a sale price of £24.99, just to import it across the Irish Sea - absolute madness.

I was mentioned earlier that Amazon seem to have cocked up somehow on books. They are adding 13.5% VAT.
    Hopefully they will sort this out soon . Use their other shop fo now (Book Depository) . Free delivery , No VAT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's like groundhog Day every page.....

A new thread with clear explainations of the current rules, situation for prime members etc at the start, would probably go a long way towards helping people, and stopping the repetition.

Thanks,

G.

garrettod wrote: »
    A new thread with clear explainations of the current rules, situation for prime members etc at the start, would probably go a long way towards helping people, and stopping the repetition.

Agreed and if possible shared to other sub forums with amazon threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

TimHorton wrote: »
    "Two important caveats on this:
    1) If you place multiple orders and Amazon combines these into one delivery - a frequent occurrence - you will be liable to VAT at the point of delivery if the total value exceeds €22."

Surely Amazon is aware of this and will not allow it to happen, I will just refuse delivery if this happens to my orders.,

Damn never thought of that. I'll refuse delivery if I've extra.

v10 wrote: »
    Aren’t Amazon already shipping directly from an Irish warehouse ? Surely amazon.ie is the obvious next step.

Been saying this for years. If you count the number of warehouses in the UK and divide it into the population (a coarse metric, I know), the Irish population merits a warehouse.

We'd probably see about 20% of the UK catalog (prime products plus other stuff) in stock and ready for next day delivery. We would also be seeing alcohol, fragrances and other stuff finally being deliverable. Anything else would come on a truck from one of the other European warehouses as soon as the container was full. I see it as being a net positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭garrettod

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Damn never thought of that. I'll refuse delivery if I've extra.

What happens then?

- you do six weeks of admin and emails, trying to get refunds?

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Been saying this for years. If you count the number of warehouses in the UK and divide it into the population (a coarse metric, I know), the Irish population merits a warehouse.
    A warehouse on the island of Ireland would better service both Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland due to the regulatory restrictions on certain imports into both from Great Britain. Combined population approaching 7 million.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Should I be using Amazon.de?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Only if what you want is cheaper including the cost of the postage.

The prices on the vast majority of items on Amazon.co.uk are no more expensive now then before 1st of January. In some cases they are actually less expensive than before 1st January. The talk of a duty deposit has confused a lot of people. They remove the UK vat at checkout and add the Irish VAT (duty deposit)

Amazon UK will still be my first port of call

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭harmless

Only if it works out cheaper, in most cases for me Amazon UK is cheaper especially with prime delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Only if what you want is cheaper including the cost of the postage.

The prices on the vast majority of items on Amazon.co.uk are no more expensive now then before 1st of January. In some cases they are actually less expensive than before 1st January. The talk of a duty deposit has confused a lot of people. They remove the UK vat at checkout and add the Irish VAT (duty deposit)

Amazon UK will still be my first port of call

Depends on what you buy.
    High cost items are about 25% to 30% more than last year.

• Advertisement

Depends on what you buy. High cost items are about 25% to 30% more than last year.

I buy high cost items for amazon UK though a business account. Well when I say high cost I'm talking around the 500 euro mark. I have already gone through my orders for the last 12 months and compared them to prices today and there little or no difference in the price at checkout.

Depends on what you buy.
    High cost items are about 25% to 30% more than last year.

Sweeping statement that and not accurate across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Amazon is no longer calculating import fees for me on items that it was calculating fees for earlier today. Also not reducing items under €22.

Edit: Nevermind working again, temporary glitch..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

garrettod wrote: »
    What happens then?

- you do six weeks of admin and emails, trying to get refunds?

No, it'll go right back to Amazon duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭corkie

theguzman wrote: »
    In my experience of ordering from Amazon.com out of the United States in September on a more expensive item the Import Fees Deposit were spot on in the fact that I had to pay the postman nothing and it came in like a Domestic item and the fee's were actually slightly over estimated with a $15 refund issued on what was a $400+ item like 10 days later.

Thanks for clarifying about VAT on orders from .com for some reason, I assumed you would be charged VAT on top of whatever you paid once it arrived here.
    Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal: $55.99
    Shipping & Handling: $11.96
    Your Coupon Savings: -$8.00
    Total before tax: $59.95 (not amount actually vat applied to)
    Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $14.20
    Grand Total: $74.15

Arrives: Jan 18 - 25
    Sold by RAVPower-Store and ships from Amazon Fulfillment.

RAVPower FileHub: - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5QDQ1B

Now and I have to wait and see if they actually ship this since it has a battery, but it may not actually come from the US? At least I won't be charged anything until they decide to ship it or not.
    ^^^ Edit:- Delivered directly to my address and not using AddressPal so no mod warning required on this attempted order.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

Note to Mods: The "READ SUMMARY IN POST 977" is useless to users on mobile as there is no easy way to do this through the UI.

corkie wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying about VAT on orders from .com for some reason, I assumed you would be charged VAT on top of whatever you paid once it arrived here.

Not to confuse things but Sold By Amazon & Fulfilled by Amazon are including it at checkout as you now know. 3rd party sellers on Amazon, Ebay or anywhere else in the UK may not offer this service.

With other sellers/companies from the UK you might get hit with Irish VAT from Irish customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Lads just had to pay import fees of 8 for an item worth 29....is this the new norm, >? Will i be subject to further charges from anpost ?

Lads just had to pay import fees of 8 for an item worth 29....is this the new norm, >? Will i be subject to further charges from anpost ?

Was the item sold and/or fulfilled by Amazon?
    An Post won't come into it unless they delivered it

If I'm asked to pay any extra will just refuse the parcel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I buy high cost items for amazon UK though a business account. Well when I say high cost I'm talking around the 500 euro mark. I have already gone through my orders for the last 12 months and compared them to prices today and there little or no difference in the price at checkout.

Not sure what you have been buying but for the small amount personal buyer like myself and after checking items I bought last year compared to this year, thats what I found.

Advertisement